• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:46 AM

вÚÎ²Î²Ü úð²òàÚò
Haykakan Oratsuyts
Armenian Calendar
Until the Armenian Calendar was shaped the inhbitants of the Highlands used a lunar calendar. The official Armenian Calendar was devised based on the motion of the moon as well as the sun. This latter design was utilized until the Roman (Julian ) calendar was adopted .
The year was divided into 12 28 day months which left an excess of 5 days which was left as such and called Avelyats (lefover/addendum).

1.Նավասարդ
2.Հոռի
3.Սահմ
4.Տրե
5.Քաղոց
6.Արաց
7.Մեհեկ
8.Արեգ
9.Ահեկան
10.Մարերի
11.Մարգաց
12.Հրոտից

Next the names of the days the weeks, days and the hours. As a teaser here are the names of the days of the month Avelyats; Louts, Yeghjerou, Paraznot, Artakhuyr and Tskravori.
ÈáõÍ, ºÕç»ñáõ, ö³ñ³½Ýáï, ²ñï³ËáõÛñ, ÌÏñ³õáñÇ

PS. I will be typing in NLS hoping that someone will convert them. Also, this subject will take several postings to be complete as there is more to say, such as Haykakan Shrjan and Haykakan Tvakan etc.

Edited by Arpa, 17 January 2005 - 07:55 AM.

#2 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Jan 17 2005, 05:46 AM)

Louts, Yeghjerou, Paraznot, Artakhuyr and Tskravori.
[font=Arial AM]ÈáõÍ, ºÕç»ñáõ, ö³ñ³½Ýáï, ²ñï³ËáõÛñ, ÌÏñ³õáñÇ

Լուծ, Եղջերու, Փարազնոտ, Արտախույր, Ծկրաւորի

Thank you Arpa jan for posting this info. It's very helpful.

#3 SAS

SAS

-= Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:56 AM

Շարունակենք թերթել Ղ.Ալիշանի «Հայոց հին հավատքը...» smile.gif

ԱՄՍՎԱ ԱՆՈՒՆՆԵՐԸ

1.Արեգ
2.Հրանդ
3.Արամ
4.Մարգար
5.Ահրանք
6.Մազդեղ( մազթեղ)
7.Աստղիկ
8.Միհր
9.Ձոպաբեր(խռովաբեր)
10.Մուրց(հաղթանակ)
11.Երեզհան(երեզկան)
12.Անի
13.Պարխար
14.Վանատ(վանատուր)
15.Արամազդ
16.Մանի(ծագումն)
17.Ասակ(անսկիզբ)
18.Մասիս
19.Անահիտ
20.Արագած
21.Գորգոր(գրգուռ)
22.Կորդի(կորդիք)
23.Ծմակ
24.Լուսնակ
25.Ցրոն(սփյուռ)
26.Նպատ
27.Վահագն
28.Սեի՞ն(լեռ)
29.Վարագ
30.Գիշերավար

================================================================

ՏՎՆՋՅԱՆ ԺԱՄԵՐ

1.Այգ
2.Ծայգ
3.Զայրացյալ(արևն առավել լավ էր՝ զորացյալ)
4.Ճառագայթյալ
5.Շառավիղյալ
6.Երկարատես
7.Շանթակող
8.Հրակաթ
9.Հուր փայլյալ
10.Թաղանթյալ
11.Արագոտ(՞)
12.Արփող

ԳԻՇԵՐՎԱ ԺԱՄԵՐ

1.Խավարակ
2.Աղջամուղջ
3.Մթացյալ
4.Շաղավոտ
5.Կամավոտ(՞)(սնուցիչ)
6.Բավական
7.Խոթափյալ
8.Գիզակ(խոնավական, ուրեմն՝ գիջակ)
9.Լուսակն
10.Առավոտ
11.Լուսափայլ
12.Փայլածու

Edited by SAS, 18 January 2005 - 09:59 AM.

#4 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:20 AM

Շնորհակալություն ՍԱՍ ջան ...

#5 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:28 AM

yes et Gisherva jamer@ siretsy

Բավական smile.gif

harevans el et a asum amen or - yes el gitem te jam@ 6in or gorruma Բավականնննննննննննն է - shan hamara gorrum

ehh lava mi ban el sovoretsy esor

ՍԱՍ ջան Հոգաչափ շնորհակալ եմ

#6 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Jan 18 2005, 12:47 AM)
It's very helpful.

i know... հիմա արդեն գիտեմ որտեղից ոգտվել, երբ խաչբառում նորից «հայկական ամսանու» «ժամանուն» «օրանուն» հարցը հայտնվի...

#7 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Harut @ Jan 19 2005, 02:09 AM)
i know... հիմա արդեն գիտեմ որտեղից ոգտվել, երբ խաչբառում նորից «հայկական ամսանու» «ժամանուն» «օրանուն» հարցը հայտնվի...

ay du շուստրի ... wink.gif

#8 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:07 PM

Thank you SAS. You saved me a ton of typing.
Since we are talking about the calendar we might as well talk about the elements of time.
The fact that "calendar" means time is evident in the Armenian word for Santa Claus- Kaghand Papa which in fact means Father Time literally.
ðáå¿/ºñÏí³ÛñÏ»³Ý
ì³ÛñÏ»³Ý
ijÙ
úñ/²é³õáï/λëûñ/ºñ»Ïá
Þ³µ³Ã
²ÙÇë
î³ñÇ/²Ù
î³ëݳٻ³Ï
¸³ñ/гñÇõñ³Ù»³Ï
г½³ñ³Ù»³Ï

Ropeh
Vayrkyan
Zham
Or
Shabat
Amis
Tari/Am
Tasnamyak
Dar/Haryuramyak
Hazaramyak
We will try and explain each and proceed from there to eventually come to Haykakan Tvakan/Armenian Chronolgy

#9 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:28 PM

ðáå¿
Rope(h), moment is not a measured unit of time, it means just what it means "moment".It is at times erroneously used to mean vayrkyan=second, one sixtieth of a minute. Another word used instead is akntart=wink.
According to Ajarianit is from the Greek "rope" to mean the slightest dip of the scale. He may have forgotten the Arabic word "rub@'", quarter as in Rubayat=qaryak/quatrain. We may be using it to mean a "fraction" (of time).

#10 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:30 PM

ì²Úðκ²Ü
ì³ñÏ»³Ý

Once again, as in the case of ropeh vayrkean/varkean seems to derive from the root meaning a fraction of a weight/kshirq.
The reason I spelled the word in both variants is that, even though the former"vaYrkean" seems to be mre prevalent the latter seesm to be the correct and original form. Many attemps have been made to find the root in "vayr" with littel success. Vayr, among many other uses such as vayri etc. is primarily used to mean "place". It turns out varkean=minute, one sixtieth of an hour is not from "vayr" but from "vark", the smallest fraction of the whole. This can all seen in other languages as in the English (latin) the minute may be used to mean a fraction of time as well as to mean minute(my-nyut, minutae)
I wonder if "ervarkean"=second was meant to "end-varkean", sub-minute.

#11 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:47 PM

IJØ

Zham, hour.
When it is all said and done it seem like "zham" is common in other languages like the Pahlavai/Persian and Arabic zaman to mean time. Many people have adopted it from us, among others the Georgian "zhami" to mean hour.
One other coomon use of the word is as in zham=church. That comes from the Arabic "jame'", a place of gathering. Some use the "jami" to mean mosque. Strictly speaking zham as in church actually means zhoghovaran.

Hey kids!!
No cracks about "haykakan zham".. smile.gif smile.gif
IN fact many other people use the ecpression, like when an Italian is late they would say; "You know! My watch runs on Roman time". And so on.

#12 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:04 PM

ok, Arpa. so why do EA speakers use վայրկեան [vayrkean] to mean second and րոպե [rope] to mean minute, while WA speakers use վայրկեան [vayrkean] to mean minute and երկվայրկեան [yrkvayrkean] to mean second?

#13 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:18 PM

úð
²õñ

Or, Aur(avr)
This is one the more curious ones.
Of course we know that prior to the adoption of the Latin O we use "au" for the sound. The reason I gave both spellings above. This is still evidend in the declension of the word as in avur, haysmavur etc.
There are manyattempts to trace the origin, some ridiculous as having derived from the Hebrew word for light, from the Latin "hora"(hour), even searching the Turkish laguage etc. It is also evident that it is common and similar to the Latin "aurora", dawn. There is a reason for that madness since when all is exhausted it turns out the word is from the PIE "ausra", and as usual the S is dropped in the Armenian. just as in the Latin "aurora".

Bari AUR to you too! smile.gif smile.gif

Thanks to SAS we already saw the names of the hours of the day and night.

#14 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Harut @ Jan 19 2005, 11:04 PM)
ok, Arpa. so why do EA speakers use վայրկեան [vayrkean] to mean second and րոպե [rope] to mean minute, while WA speakers use վայրկեան [vayrkean] to mean minute and երկվայրկեան [yrkvayrkean] to mean second?

Good question.
I don't know.
As we saw above rope is actually second not minute. Is it because thw WA speakers have it right this time? Or is it because the easterners are closer to the eastern languages like Persian etc. and the westerners to Greek etc.? Even though my source does not trace the origin of "vark", the root of "varkyan" it may be common from a western source.
Just a guess.

#15 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:08 PM

²è²ôúî
ºðºÎ/ºðºÎàÚ
¶ÆÞºð

Of course when talking about or/day we cannot ignore parts of it.
Once again refer to above by SAS the hour of the day.
Aravot, morning. Note that it is spelled with the Ra and Hyun.
In the long run it goes back to "aurora", dawn.
Marashtsis, even when they are speaking Turkish will say: aravtun kanukh, early morning.

I clumped erek and ereko together to stress the fact that they are synonymous. Even though we use "erek" to man yesterday it in fact means the sme as "ereko". More proper way of saying yesterday would be antsyal or, past day, but just as in the English it is a little ambivalent, it may mean any of the past days. Ereko, after much wanderingsby our illustrious crack etymologists, all the way to Hebrew and Turkish we end up as it being fro the Native Armenian "regos" and Sanskrit "rajas" to mean darkness, fog, smoke and steam.One wonders if "erek" was meant to be spelled with the E anf not the Yech since in declension the first letter becomes I s in "iriknamut" etc. We may remember that the 7th letter the E is meant to be pronounced something between E and I , the reason why it turns into I a in eg/igakan.
Gisher. Once again, after mindless wandersings to link the word to inane sources, even as far as deriving it from "gesh", evil, once again we end up at the native Armenian word, original Armenian form was "gesher"(note the E instead of I), common with the Greek "vsper".The latter is used in some European languages to denote "evening prayer".

Kalispera!!

Bari gisher!!

#16 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:23 PM

Þ²´²Â
ºàÂÜàðº²Î

Shabath, the seven days, one quarter of a lunar month, a week.
We may be the only people that calls those seven days a "shabath". The only other people who uses a word similar to ours are the Persians, they use "hafta". Both sabbath and hafta mean seven, yotnoryak.
Oh yeah!! You say?
Every source I searched, including Ajarian tried to make me believe that "sabbath" means "day of rest" from the Hebrew. One source even goes as far as to parse the word into "shab" and "bath".
Well, I did not like it, knowing full well that it must have to do something with the number seven, sept, hepta, haft etc.

See below.

http://www.zordesign...history-1.htm#1

PART 1 - SABBATH HISTORY THROUGH THE AGES
by John Kiesz

Origin of the Sabbath

The Sabbath question has been of concern to mankind in general throughout the religious history of the human race. The Creator Himself, after six days of labour, rested on the seventh day of the week (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 31:17). The weekly cycle, measured by the Sabbath at the end of the week, is the oldest division of time (Genesis 8:10; 29:27). Although there have been eight and ten-day* cycles introduced by some groups over the millennia, the weekly division of time has been the general rule, especially among all Semitic races. Of one of these groups Professor A. H. Sayce says:
"The Sabbath-rest was a Babylonian, as well as a Hebrew, institution. Its origin went back to pre-Semitic days, and the very name, Sabbat, by which it was known in Hebrew, was of Babylonian origin. In the cuneiform tablets of the Sabattu is described as a 'day of rest for the soul,' and in spite of the fact that the word was of genuinely Semitic origin, it was derived by the Assyrian scribes from two Sumerian or pre-Semitic words, sa and bat, which meant respectively 'heart' and 'ceasing.' The Sabbath was also known, at all events in Accadian times, as a 'dies nefastus,' a day on which certain work was forbidden to be done, and an old list of Babylonian festivals and fast-days tells us that on the seventh, fourteenth, nineteenth, twenty-first, and twenty-eighth days each month the Sabbath-rest had to be observed" (The Higher Criticism and the Monuments, p. 74, 1895).

So, when did we begin to use "shabath" to mean "week"?
I don't know, but I will bet it was before we got to know the Hebrew texts. The above article may attest to that.
What did we call it then? We called it shabath and yotnoreak alternately and we called the days by numbers, i.e mek-shabti, erku-shabti, ereq-shabti, choreq-shabti, hing-shabti, vets-shabti and yot-shabti, until sometime during the Christian era we cahnged the names of Sunday to Kiraki, from the Greek Kyriaki, to mean "the day of the Lord", we changed the seventh day to Shabath, and, this is interesting, just as the search for "sabbath" was. Once again, in our zeal to tie our destiny to the chosen people we tried to define it as "urb", the day before the day of rest. Correct! Almost. It turns out that "urbath" was the day before alright, but more precisely the sunset before the day of rest from the Assyrian "ereb", sunset, west.**

* At one time Armenians have toyed with the idea of ten day week. From the Egyptian,
** Remember when we talked about Erebuni having derived from "ereb/west"?

#17 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

Հայոց ազգային ավանդության համաձայն՝ Ք.ա. 2492 թվականի օգոստոսի 11-ին Հայոց դյուցազուն նահապետ Հայկ@ հաղթանակ տարավ Միջագետքի բռնակալ Բելի նկատմամբ:

Աիդ հաղթանակից սկսած՝ հայերը հաշվում են իրենց Բուն տոմարը:

Հայոց օրացուիցը արեգակնային էր: Այն ուներ 365 օր, բաղկացած էր 30 օր ունեցող 12 ամսից և 5-օրյա տոնական մեկ ամսից, որը կոչվում էր Ավելյաց: Ավանդության համաձայն՝ հայոց ամսանուններն անվանակոչվել են Հայկի որդիների և դուստրերի անուններով: Հատուկ անուններ էին կրում նաև ամսվա բոլոր օրերը և օրվա բոլոր ջամերը:

ՀԱՅՈՑ ԱՄՍԱՆՈՒՆՆԵՐԸ
(ըստ Անանիա Շիրակացու)
1. Նավասարդ, 2. Հորի, 3. Սահմի, 4. Տրե, 5. Քաղոց, 6. Արաց, 7. Մեհեկան, 8. Արեգ, 9. Ահեկան, 10. Մարերի, 11. Մարգաց, 12. Հրոտից, 13. Ավելյաց

ՕՐԱՆՈՒՆՆԵՐԸ
1.Արեգ, 2.Հրանտ, 3.Արամ, 4.Մարգար, 5.Ահրանք, 6.Մազդեզ, 7.Աստղիկ, 8.Միհր, 9.Զորաբեր, 10.Մուրց, 11.Երեզկան, 12.Անի, 13.Պարխար, 14.Վանատուր, 15.Արամազդ, 16.Մանի, 17.Ասակ, 18.Մասիս, 19.Անահիտ, 20.Արագած, 21.Գրգուռ, 22.Կուրդուիք, 23.Ծմակ, 24.Լուսնակ, 25.Ծրոն(Սփյուռ), 26.Նպատ, 27.Վահագն, 28.Սիմ, 29.Վարագ, 30.Գիշերավար

ՋԱՄԱՆՈՒՆՆԵՐ
Ցերեկային - 1.Աիգ, 2.Ծաիգ, 3.Զորացյալ, 4.Ճառագայթյալ, 5.Շառավիղյալ, 6.Երկրատես, 7.Շանթակող, 8.Հրակաթ, 9.Հուրթափյալ, 10.Թաղամթյալ, 11.Առավար, 12.Արփող
Գիշերային - 1.Խավարակ, 2.Աղջամուղջ, 3.Մթնացյալ, 4.Շաղավոտ, 5. Կամավոտ, 6.Բավական, 7.Խոթափյալ, 8.Գիզակ, 9.Լուսակն, 10.Առավոտ, 11.Լուսափաիլ, 12.Փայլածու

#18 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:38 PM

Very good Ashot.
Also look here;
http://hyeforum.com/...amp;hl=calendar

#19 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

Arpa jan, thanks for sharing the other topic, can we some how merge them together? And also I would like to get a professional translation on
Հայոց ազգային ավանդության համաձայն՝ Ք.ա. 2492 թվականի օգոստոսի 11-ին Հայոց դյուցազուն նահապետ Հայկ@ հաղթանակ տարավ Միջագետքի բռնակալ Բելի նկատմամբ:

Աիդ հաղթանակից սկսած՝ հայերը հաշվում են իրենց Բուն տոմարը:

Հայոց օրացուիցը արեգակնային էր: Այն ուներ 365 օր, բաղկացած էր 30 օր ունեցող 12 ամսից և 5-օրյա տոնական մեկ ամսից, որը կոչվում էր Ավելյաց: Ավանդության համաձայն՝ հայոց ամսանուններն անվանակոչվել են Հայկի որդիների և դուստրերի անուններով: Հատուկ անուններ էին կրում նաև ամսվա բոլոր օրերը և օրվա բոլոր ջամերը:

#20 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Ashot @ Feb 12 2008, 08:46 PM)
Arpa jan, thanks for sharing the other topic, can we some how merge them together?

I'll merge them but guys decide which topic to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users