Carrier on PBS

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Zara

Zara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Emilio Pucci, Guy Laroche, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Israeli Krav Maga, Nature, Sports, Coins, Franz Marc

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:55 PM

There is this show that PBS is showing about life on the USS Nimitz. I've gotten a lot of good feed-back on it but I haven't started watching it yet. All The episodes are free to watch online here.

About the Journey

In May 2005, the USS Nimitz embarked on a six-month deployment to the Pacific and Indian Oceans and the Persian Gulf in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and the Global War on Terrorism. These operations helped stabilize the maritime environment and complemented the counter-terrorism and security efforts of regional nations.

The Nimitz and its air wing, Air Wing 11, launched more than 4,500 sorties totaling more than 11,000 flight hours. More than 1,100 sorties and 6,000 flight hours were flown in direct support of troops on the ground in Iraq.

Ships from the Nimitz Strike Group also conducted 286 queries, 410 approaches and 14 boardings of foreign vessels in support of Fifth Fleet Maritime Security Operations.

During the deployment, the Nimitz Strike Group made a number of port visits throughout the Western Pacific and Arabian Gulf including stops in Hawaii, Hong Kong, Malaysia, India, Thailand, Bahrain, and Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The Nimitz also made her first-ever stops in Guam and Perth, Australia before returning to California in November 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users