- - - - -

Box office, Ararat.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2002 - 06:59 PM

It does not sound right... guys make that increase.

http://www.boxoffice...&wknd=47&p=.htm

http://www.boxoffice.../?id=ararat.htm

#2 wh00t

wh00t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 03:51 PM

Just had its biggest weekend to date with $251,750 at 33 theatres. Ranked 25th overall. $80,000 more will put it at over $1 million total.

[ December 02, 2002, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: wh00t ]

#3 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 18 December 2002 - 12:52 AM

Maybe Harut ow Domino who are really good with math can answer this question.

Ararat so far in 5 weekends has made $1,293,312.
There are some 900,000 Armenian in the US.
Assume that 15% are too young to attend
Assume that 15% are too old to attend
Assume that 5% have attended the movie twice
How much are these Armenians paying for their tickets?

Okay we know that ticket prices are anywhere from 8 to 10 dollars. Assuming that everyone paid 8 dollars how many Armenians are there in the states?

#4 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2002 - 01:34 PM

Azat, I did the calculation and came to something of more then 200,000. And it appears that some dogs that have seen the movie that were counted in that(since I came to a non natural number)... Then realised that there was a contradiction in your question since you gave already the answer of some 900,000...

So I don't know if you tried to fool me and Harut( It sound like an Azatian question ), because there is some 700,000 uncounted Armenian out there, ubducted by aliens or something.

[ December 17, 2002, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Domino ]

#5 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2002 - 05:25 PM

Oups, made a mistake in my calculation, but still, 200,000 is a round good estimate...

So, why do you not just give the answer, don't tell me its 900,000 because I'll spank you.

#6 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 17 December 2002 - 06:20 PM

Domino jan, I was just being a sarcastic butthead. I was just wondering why so many of the so called "Armenians" are not selling out this movie. I am afraid that we may even see if be out of play in Glendale this weekend with the arrival of so many new movies.

#7 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2002 - 06:29 PM

That suck in fact, Armenians can never support their own...

The film is already taken off from some theatres.

[ December 17, 2002, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Domino ]

#8 Rubo

Rubo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Art & Armenian issues

Posted 18 December 2002 - 05:25 PM

Dear Domino, I know you very much care about this movie and I was interested to read how other people or none Armenians see it. Roger’s take is disappointing or may be it is not his fault. I will highlight the important comments.BY ROGER EBERT FILM CRITIC
Atom Egoyan has something he wants us to know. In 1915, he tells us in his new film "Ararat," Turkey committed genocide against its Armenian population, massacring two-thirds of its 1.5 million citizens of Armenian descent. This crime, denied to this day by Turkey, has largely been wiped from the pages of history. Egoyan is one of Canada's best and most respected directors. He and his wife, the actress Arsinee Khanjian, are Canadians of Armenian descent. When he told his children of the massacre, he has said in interviews, they wanted to know if Turkey had ever apologized. His answer is contained in "Ararat." Unfortunately, it is couched in such a needlessly confusing film that most people will leave the theater impressed, not by the crime, but by the film's difficulty. Egoyan's work often elegantly considers various levels of reality and uses shifting points of view, but here he has constructed a film so labyrinthine that it defeats his larger purpose. The story has three central strands: (1) A film is being made about the atrocity; (2) some of the scenes of this film-within-the-film re-create historical incidents, for our information; (3) there is a web of connections between the people working on the film and other characters in the story. We meet an art historian named Ani (Khanjian) who lectures on the Armenian artist Arshile Gorky, whose mother was one of the Turkish victims. Ani's husband died in an attempt to assassinate a Turkish official some 15 years earlier. She has a son named Raffi (David Alpay) from her first marriage, and a stepdaughter named Celia (Marie-Josee Croze) from a second marriage with a man who, Celia believes, was driven to suicide by Ani. When Ani lectures on Gorky, Celia often attends in order to heckle her with questions about her dead father. Further complicating this emotional tangle, Raffi and Celia are sleeping with each other. There is another sexual-political connection. When Raffi attempts to pass through a Canadian customs post with several film cans from Europe, he is questioned at length by a customs inspector named David (Christopher Plummer), who is on his last day on the job. Raffi says the cans contain unexposed documentary footage needed for the movie. We know, because of a scene at breakfast that day, that Plummer's son Philip (Brent Carver) is the lover of an actor named Ali (Elias Koteas), who plays the barbaric Turkish general Jevdet Bey in the film. Thus David is in a position to know that the film being brought in by Raffi may not be needed for the project. We meet the director of the film, named Edward (Charles Aznavour), and see him on the set, filming scenes that are often presented as reality before the camera pulls back to reveal another camera. And we meet the screenwriter, Rouben (Eric Bogosian). Both Aznavour and Bogosian, who are of Armenian ancestry, are used to provide more information about the atrocities, as is the character of Clarence Ussher (Bruce Greenwood), a character in Aznavour's film. He was an American physician who was an eyewitness to the massacres and wrote a book about them. The questioning at the customs station goes on, apparently, for hours, because David, on his last day on the job, is trying to determine through sheer skill whether the cans contain film or heroin. He could open them (in a dark room to avoid spoiling the film), but that would be too simple, and perhaps he thinks that by understanding the young man before him, he can gain a better insight into his own son. The scenes in the movie-within-a-movie document horrendous acts by the Turks against the Armenians, including one sequence in which women are burned alive. The film also shows Gorky as a young boy, shouldering arms against the Turks. There are flashbacks to show the adult Gorky painting in exile in New York. And discussion of the relative truth of two portraits: one a photo of Gorky with his mother, the other the painting he has based on this portrait. It is the same painting we have heard Ani lecturing about. You may be feeling some impatience at the complexity of this plot. It is too much, too heavily layered, too needlessly difficult, too opaque. Individual scenes leap out and have a life of their own; Khanjian makes the difficulties of her own character very affecting; the Plummer episode is like a small, perfect character study, and I remember the re-created atrocities as if from another film, which is indeed how they are presented. "Ararat" clearly comes from Egoyan's heart, and it conveys a message he urgently wants to be heard: that the world should acknowledge and be shamed that a great crime was committed against his people. The message I receive from the movie, however, is a different one: that it is difficult to know the truth of historical events, and that all reports depend on the point of view of the witness and the state of mind of those who listen to the witness. That second message is conveyed by the film, but I am not sure it presents Egoyan's intention. Perhaps this movie was so close to his heart that he was never able to stand back and get a good perspective on it--that he is as conflicted as his characters, and as confused in the face of shifting points of view. Note: In the film, Adolf Hitler is quoted discussing his plans for genocide and asking, "Who remembers the extermination of the Armenians?" The film presents this as fact, although there is enormous controversy over whether Hitler actually ever said it.

note either Roger is naive or playing the part.Hitler's quote is well documanted and there is no "enormous controversy"

#9 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2002 - 06:05 PM

Rubo, obviously Roger has no clue of what he is talking about, the part you put in bold, is where I most vigourisly disagree on, he should rather stick criticising Hollywoodian movies, that fits him best. I will developpe more about this when I have time.

Regards

PS: verify your PM's when you have time.

[ December 18, 2002, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Domino ]

#10 Rubo

Rubo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Art & Armenian issues

Posted 18 December 2002 - 06:52 PM

You are not permitted to send private messages. A board leader has elected to deactivate this option for you.
Domino,this is what I get when trying to send PM.I guess what I say in private is more dengerous!

#11 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Azat:
Maybe Harut ow Domino who are really good with math can answer this question.

Ararat so far in 5 weekends has made $1,293,312.
There are some 900,000 Armenian in the US.
Assume that 15% are too young to attend
Assume that 15% are too old to attend
Assume that 5% have attended the movie twice
How much are these Armenians paying for their tickets?

Okay we know that ticket prices are anywhere from 8 to 10 dollars. Assuming that everyone paid 8 dollars how many Armenians are there in the states?

Azat jan the first 2 days it was starting at $85 -to- $150 - 3rd day dawn to $15 - in pasadena cinema it's $10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users