18 replies to this topic

#1 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:53 PM

It's hard to believe but here it is!!!!!!! The proof is in the chatter or is it the pudding? biggrin.gif

Women no more chattier than men, study finds
05/07/2007 2:29:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've all been led to believe that women love nothing more than to gab all day, while men are more likely to keep silent. But new research challenges the notion.

Matthias R. Mehl, an assistant professor of psychology at The University of Arizona, set out to debunk the growing "urban legend" that a woman uses about three times as many words in a day as a man.

He particularly wanted to challenge the findings in the bestselling book "The Female Brain" by neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine that contends that women use 20,000 words a day, while a man uses only about 7,000.

Mehl and the others recorded the conversations of nearly 400 U.S. and Mexican male and female university students who were between the ages of 19 and 25 years old in a series of studies conducted over six years.

To catch all of this chit-chat, they developed an electronically-activated recorder that digitally logged the daily conversations of those who wore the device. The participants could not control the recording device, which automatically recorded for 30 seconds every 12.5 minutes, and did not know when the device was on.

The results:

Women in the study spoke a daily average of 16,215 words
Men spoke an average of 15,669 words
So true, the women win, but not by a statistically significant margin. Mehl also noted that there are "very large individual differences around this mean."

Among the three most talkative males in the study, one used 47,000 words. The least talkative male spoke just a little more than 500," Mehl said.

The research is reported in the July 6 issue of the journal Science.

Mehl admits that he studied only college students, but says the study showed no support for the idea that women have larger "lexical budgets" than men, any more than it did that vocabulary gender differences have a basis in evolution.

But the last word, at least from this study, is that "the widespread and highly publicized stereotype about female talkativeness and male reticence is unfounded."

#2 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:03 PM

They should separate the gay males. They are the ones throwing off the mean.

#3 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:01 PM

finally...this was long overdue. I've personally dumped men before for being too talkative..

#4 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:22 PM

Study disproves last study, study finds

#5 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

I would estimate I speak about 1000 words a day.

#6 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

It's funny that I found this topic again!

Personally as a woman, I would think that very talkative males are more "genigabla".

#7 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

Takoush wanna know what's interesting? I type more then I talk in a day!!! I like it when it's quiet around me, but once a day I must have someone to listen to!!! there are many guys that I know that talk a lot... But I have come to a conclusion that women talk way more than any given guy!!! Especially when it comes to talking about their personal life!!!

#8 Em

Em

Em

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

Ash jan, jishtes. Tghamardik irenc andznakan kyankic chen xosum ayl xosumen urishneri private gorcerits. smile.gif

Gitem, gitem.. shat kichernen (parapner@n en) aytpes. Bayc izur chen asel vor tghamardu bambasanq@ aghjka tun yev YEKEGHECI k@kandi. smile.gif

#9 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

Yeah Ashot I'm afraid you're right. Women talk a lot more...chatter....chatter.... than men. I think some men talk a lot but nothing like women chattering. And some women my goodness... they practically never stop. Mamma miya!

And come to think of it I didn't think about it; but EM has something there. When men talk about other people; and some talk about other women, they can do a great deal of harm to some girls' names. Or to family people too. That is very true.

#10 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Em124 @ Mar 6 2008, 04:50 PM)
Ash jan, jishtes. Tghamardik irenc andznakan kyankic chen xosum ayl xosumen urishneri private gorcerits. smile.gif

Gitem, gitem.. shat kichernen (parapner@n en) aytpes. Bayc izur chen asel vor tghamardu bambasanq@ aghjka tun yev YEKEGHECI k@kandi. smile.gif

Em jan, im zokanchs ham ira masina xosum, ham axchka, im, vortus, LIDAI huh.gif (te ove sa espes el chhaskatsa) nuynisk shans hoqebanaki vra ela azdel.

eh, toghnumen vor mart xosi?

#11 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (Takoush @ Mar 6 2008, 05:02 PM)
Yeah Ashot I'm afraid you're right. Women talk a lot more...chatter....chatter.... than men. I think some men talk a lot but nothing like women chattering. And some women my goodness... they practically never stop. Mamma miya!

And come to think of it I didn't think about it; but EM has something there. When men talk about other people; and some talk about other women, they can do a great deal of harm to some girls' names. Or to family people too. That is very true.

vay Takoush, all that noise you made just to say "Women talk a lot more, but when men talk, they do a great harm" (?)

#12 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

lol, that's exactly what the topic is about!!! A whole 9 yards of a speech just for making a small statement!!! tongue.gif

#13 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Aratta-Kingdom @ Mar 7 2008, 01:45 AM)
vay Takoush, all that noise you made just to say "Women talk a lot more, but when men talk, they do a great harm" (?)

Don't get me wrong Aratta, not by far all men. A great many men are decent and keep their mouth shut; but there are some guys that just because they go out with some Armenian girls for instance, when they stop going out with them, they start lying that they slept with them and harm their reputation in a very mean way. Even when the girl didn't do such things and she just went out without doing anything. And it's not just with a few Armenian men, probably odar men are much worse. Again not by far all men; of course not. But some can be very harmful that way.

#14 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Takoush @ Mar 7 2008, 10:51 AM)
Don't get me wrong Aratta, not by far all men. A great many men are decent and keep their mouth shut; but there are some guys that just because they go out with some Armenian girls for instance, when they stop going out with them, they start lying that they slept with them and harm their reputation in a very mean way. Even when the girl didn't do such things and she just went out without doing anything. And it's not just with a few Armenian men, probably odar men are much worse. Again not by far all men; of course not. But some can be very harmful that way.

For the record Aratta, this does not apply to HyeForum guys/men. Not at all. I know HyeForum men are gentlemen, they don't do such things.

#15 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:34 AM

Takoush jan, the case you just presented I would say is not as widely spread scenario as you say it is... I for one know a lot of guys, and 90% of them do not tend to say anything bad about their ex-girlfriends as we say they do... the ones that say all sorts of things about them have to have at least 50% of it being true!!! they just tend to make it into a big fuzz!!! but to be honest with you in many of the cases if the guy starts bragging about the girl then there has been something wrong!!! I am not saying all, I am just comparing what I know and the people that I know!!! Most of the Armenian "MATURE" guys don't tend to put the girl's name down!!! Not like before, there is the lack of caring as much nowadays as it used to be before, especially in Armenia!!!

#16 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

Ashot jan, unforunately I haven't been to Armenia for a long time, so I don't know what's going on and when I went I was only visiting for a few weeks. I agree though, mature and more caring guys and men would never do that. But a couple of decades ago when I came first to the US in this area, my cousin told me that some Armenian guys did that to Armenian girls that they went out with, and I thought that it was very mean. They were obviously immature and also uncaring. I do agree that sometimes to some, about 50% of the cases could be true; but the ones that it's a lie would be very mean and harmful to the poor girl.

#17 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

And even if in some cases it is true, still if the guys are kind and decent and mature they must keep it to themselves.

But in some other cases some men also talk about even married or divorced women. Things that are mostly or in whole part made up. Also divorced women are already suffering a great deal trying to make ends meet and bringing up their children in a loving atmosphere. They are already struggling and their misery is enough for them as it is. But you are right, that doesn't apply to most men nor to mature men; but every now and then it does happen and it is mean to the women that they are hurting unnecessarily.

Edited by Takoush, 08 March 2008 - 12:36 PM.

#18 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:39 AM

You have to be kidding...

#19 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (Zartonk @ Mar 9 2008, 05:39 AM)
You have to be kidding...

Zartonk, yes miyayn hantsavor chem kedner gark me deghamartots miyayn, ayl nayev gark me ginerou vore ge panpasen te amouri aghchignerou vera, te amousnatsads ginerou vera yev manavant "divorcee" ginerou vera. "Divorcee" ginerou vera manavant enthanrabes gark me giner en vor charachar ge panpasen. Payts gan gark me deghamartic "immature" anhas vor aghchignerou het gellen yev hedo anonts vera ge panpasen. Barzabes gesem te mexke ge mednen ayt oriortneroun yerp vor manavant arants vor hedernin kords me ounenan ge panpasen anonts vera.

Gergin gesem vor shad deghamartik, inchbes vor touk ek penav aytbes paner chek ener, ayl martavari yev hasounoren ge varvik yev "gentlemen" ek.

Payts gan yerpemen ourish Hay yev havanapar odar deghakner anhasoun vor aytbes ge varvin. Ayt er im esades.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users