Armenian Church Picture From 1896

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2000 - 01:48 PM

Thought everyone would enjoy this beautiful picture from an Armenian Church in Jerusalem. It's from one of those old stereoscopic cards from the early 1900's. Something I picked up off eBay.

Posted Image

[This message has been edited by Pilafhead (edited October 11, 2000).]

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2000 - 03:33 PM

Wow that pictures makes me want to return to the Armenian Church! Maybe someday!

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2000 - 05:37 PM

Oh,

Why'd u leave in the first place?

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2000 - 06:15 PM

eBay has some nice stuff. My father recently purchased a book on the 1896 Hamidian Massacres. His hope was to find information on his grandmother, who was orphaned, but instead we got stuck with a nice piece of historical evidence that we can shove in the Denialists' faces.

Beware of the stamps. My father, a philatelist as a hobby, says most people sell Armenian stamps at highly inflated prices. I trust him, he owns all from the new RoA and all but about 3 from the 1918-1920 republic.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2000 - 10:15 PM

Hey, TigrannesIII, no double posting to boost your membership status

The strangest Hye thing I've picked up on eBay is an Armenian "I Like Ike" campaign button. It says "Yes Ikeh Goozem" in Armenian letters.

I also picked up a cool 1930's Columbia Records catalog for Armenian 78s.

In general though, your father is correct, it is a "buyer beware" site. As a record collector, it's heaven in that everything eventually pops up, but the prices can be hell. I've sold alot of records through eBay though, so I can't complain.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2000 - 08:27 AM

I think the 3'x5' flags are a good deal, generally run around $6. Etchmiadzin crosses catch general market value as well on eBay, don't they? Our family's eBay name is ateda if you're ever wondering (ATtorney ED Antaramian). In other words, don't outbid us

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2000 - 08:40 AM

This picture reminded me of one of the reasons I hate organized religion (including the Armenian establishment): the church is so damn beautiful, so well decorated (i'm sure with gold, etc). If they only spent half of that money on the people who need it. But oh well, a girl can dream, can't she

Gayane

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2000 - 10:25 AM

"if only they spent half the money on people who need it" Damn good point.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2000 - 12:22 PM

Gayane,

Your profile says you're from Glendale. Have you seen that church that is going up at Mountain & Verdugo??? I swear to god (pun intended) that it's tempting me to go to church!!

And this is from someone who doesn't believe in god, but believes in ghost/spirits (I dunno you all please sort that out for me.) I was baptised in the Armenian church maybe some of the holy water sunk in and is calling me back.

But I agree with you about the money and effort all going to the wrong places.

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2000 - 01:09 PM

Lol, Mike...you're right, some of the holy water usually does sink in and does call you back...lol...invariably ...in my case, i almost wish it didn't

(yes, i have seen that church going up on Verdugo...never paid much attention, to tell you the truth...is it going to be another armenian church aka business?...ugh!!)

Gayane

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2000 - 02:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gayane:

(yes, i have seen that church going up on Verdugo...never paid much attention, to tell you the truth...is it going to be another armenian church aka business?...ugh!!)

Gayane

I'm 100% with ya on this but I've read and do believe that the church has been, for centuries, the central unifying entity for Armenians throughout the world. If nothing else, it has served as a fancy gathering place.

As a kid, we never attended Sunday services, but my family were active in the organizations and we went to all the functions. Second to Christmas for me every year was the St. James Harvest Bazaar in Los Angeles.

99% of my fond childhood Armenian memories involve church functions. It is where I developed my love of the music and especially the oud. It was there that I first saw the John Bilezikjians and Richard Hagopians of the world. If it were not for church functions I would not be learning or dare I say, playing (if you wanna call it that ) the oud today.

I sometimes go to the same functions now and it's not the same. But that's because I'm 36 and not 6. I can't help but wonder if somehow involving my son in the Armenian church would have the same lasting impression on him 30 years from now.

Now as to which church we would go to??? Ohff toonleh, I dunno.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2000 - 08:04 AM

I'm 100% with ya on this but I've read and do believe that the church has been, for centuries, the central unifying entity for Armenians throughout the world. If nothing else, it has served as a fancy gathering place.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Mike, you are probably right, but this very fact has squeezed Jesus out of his own Church I think he would've been disgusted from all the gold and fancy toys exhibited in this picture. Remember the story of his uproar in a temple in Jerusalem, which was involved in monetary operations?

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2000 - 09:26 AM

It's incredibly ironic that I, as a non-believer, would find it easier to go to an Armenian church or their functions than any believers. It's logical though, I have lower expectations of the entity/organization.

(Another personal epiphany courtesy of this forum. Not sure how much more of this brain expanding I can handle!)

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2000 - 07:25 PM

Pilafhead-

You'll come around. I was once atheist, too. I realized that people could've realistically saved their lives in the Genocide by dropping their religion. I realized that maybe there was something more to this Christianity thing. I admit I still have my doubts, but I just KNOW there has to be a God.
www.execpc.com/~stmesrob

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2000 - 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TigrannesIII:
I realized that people could've realistically saved their lives in the Genocide by dropping their religion.

While I'm not sure I will ever come around, your sentence I've quoted above is very important. I fully understand and realize some of my ancestors died violently based, in large part, on their beliefs. It's not something I take lightly, it was the first reason I began to be re-evaluate the institution of the Armenian church.

Also, I think teachings of Jesus and the Bible are excellent words to live by, I just do not believe he is the living son of a living god. I respect all those that truely live by the simple message of "love" offered in the New Testament.

I really do not want to debate religion, but I will simply say my point-of-view is based on being a parent and seeing the suffering of children in the world. I do not believe a living god would allow innocent little ones to suffer as they do.

I do not think I am necessary right and Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. are wrong. It is a personal belief and to those who are devoutly religious I say, you are fortunate to have this crazy world and life all figured out. All the more power to you. To me, being a parent is my purpose in life.

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2000 - 07:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Half Breed:
Wow that pictures makes me want to return to the Armenian Church! Maybe someday!

What that supposed to mean????
R u christian???

Is your mother Armenian or father???

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2001 - 09:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gayane:
(yes, i have seen that church going up on Verdugo...

My son informed me today that he will, in fact, be marrying his mother in that church someday.

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2001 - 02:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Artur:
What that supposed to mean????
R u christian???

Is your mother Armenian or father???

It's his mum

[This message has been edited by Kazza (edited February 06, 2001).]

0 user(s) are reading this topic