Any bets... ?

#2 hasmiek

hasmiek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:arts and humans

Posted 13 February 2002 - 02:39 AM

those countries already are on the evil list, probably some african countries will be added to the list next...

question to american armenians; how do you guys see your president?; to most europeans it's un-understandable that someone like him could be the leader of a country...

#3 Hyeflyer

Hyeflyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:plant breeding custom wood working

Posted 13 February 2002 - 06:29 AM

I personally view him to be a better choice than Al Gore.Tho he is getting repetitive with his speaches.I am glad Gore didnt get in ,he would still be crapping his pants and hiding in a bomb shelter with Lieberman.Gore would be trying to give the Taliban wellfare and negotiating.Then he would say they are just missled and confused and we should pitty them.The reason europe doesnt understand Bush is because you dont have any cowboys.

#4 hasmiek

hasmiek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 09:05 AM

maybe so; but then you could wonder if a cowboy should be ruling the most powerfull nation in the world...instead of sitting on a horse leading a bunch of cows (not meant as it sounds i guess )

I was also wondering what happened to the green party...

#5 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 13 February 2002 - 09:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hasmiek:
to most europeans it's un-understandable that someone like him could be the leader of a country...

Dear Hasmiek, What is it that most Europeans don't like about him? Is it his 2 degrees from 2 of the best schools in the world? Or that he was a very successful businessman prior to becoming the president? Or that he ran a state with a GDP larger than many European countries for 6 years prior to becoming president?

Don't get me wrong, I did not vote for him nor think that he was the best candidate for the job, nor do I like his party, his friends and his politics. In fact I can safely say that I dislike him alot.

However, I find that a lot of people judge him for the wrong reasons.

#6 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 09:56 AM

I think, I am not sure, the Green Party is very happy with what happened. They received the most amount of votes they had ever received in the last election and they are growing. I think.

#7 Twilight Bark

Twilight Bark

Resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 10:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hasmiek:
those countries already are on the evil list, probably some african countries will be added to the list next...

question to american armenians; how do you guys see your president?; to most europeans it's un-understandable that someone like him could be the leader of a country...

Even the British are in shock about the simple-mindedness of Bush's latest foreign policy changes, and find it hard to give their support, which until now was basically unconditional. The inclusion of Iran in an "axis of evil" is especially hard to justify in terms of facts or US interests. In this particular case, there is good evidence that the US diplomacy has been hijacked by a certain familiar lobby. Oh well, what's new.

#8 Twilight Bark

Twilight Bark

Resigned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 10:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Azat:

Dear Hasmiek, What is it that most Europeans don't like about him? Is it his 2 degrees from 2 of the best schools in the world? Or that he was a very successful businessman prior to becoming the president? Or that he ran a state with a GDP larger than many European countries for 6 years prior to becoming president?

Don't get me wrong, I did not vote for him nor think that he was the best candidate for the job, nor do I like his party, his friends and his politics. In fact I can safely say that I dislike him alot.

However, I find that a lot of people judge him for the wrong reasons.

It is true that to do all these things beginning from, say, even a middle-class family background, would be a great accomplishment. However, even Bush himself admits that he is a very lucky man. He went to the best schools and landed good business deals, became a governor and a president not because he is particularly bright but because he had the backing of one of the most powerful families in the US. Having said that, not everyone with such privileged background goes on to become the president of the United States. So he obviously have much more talent in networking with the right people than his simpleton looks and body language suggest. Such networking ability helps a person to overachieve (relative to their "raw" intellectual horsepower), sometimes drastically, but it does not automatically qualify him as the optimal person to (essentially) run the planet.

#9 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:genocide recognition

Posted 13 February 2002 - 10:46 AM

Interesting that all of you "Monday morning quarterbacks" forget that in the last US Presidential election there was one candidate, Bradley, who was very sensitive to Armenian causes and vocally expressed his support. Unfortunately, the majority of Armenians dismissed this candidate and supported the man presently in the White House. It looks like the Democratic leaders will be fools again and help re-nominate Gore. Gore will not win. So whatever you think about Bush, we can expect him to be the US President for another 6 years.

#10 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 11:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hagarag:
Interesting that all of you "Monday morning quarterbacks" forget that in the last US Presidential election there was one candidate, Bradley, who was very sensitive to Armenian causes and vocally expressed his support. Unfortunately, the majority of Armenians dismissed this candidate and supported the man presently in the White House. It looks like the Democratic leaders will be fools again and help re-nominate Gore. Gore will not win. So whatever you think about Bush, we can expect him to be the US President for another 6 years.

Dear hagarag, the last thing that went through my mind when I was choosing a president was the Armenian issue. That should be the case with you too. I hope.

However I do agree that if we select Gore as the candidate for the next election we should be prepared for more Bushisms. Maybe another Enron or two and who knows what else.

#11 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 11:20 AM

TB, I agree with you 110%.

Believe me I do not think that he is a good president, however he has surrounded himself with people who do the job. Even though I hate all of the people around him and their conservative stance on everything.

My point was that many people say that he is not qualified to be a president because he is a cowboy and bogus things like so.

By the way Hasmiek, I did not mean to say that that is how you think in my previous response.

#12 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:genocide recognition

Posted 14 February 2002 - 12:27 AM

I am as assimilated an Armenain-American as they get. After years of working with me, when my co-workers discovered that I was Armenian (I do not have an Armenian surname) the began to refer to me as "Biff -----ian" implying that I am more odar Frat Boy than Armenian. However, the Armenian issues are central in my decisions of who to support and vote for. I intensely dislike Bush, his allies and almost everythng he stands for. I have absolutely no respect for Gore. I will have to see if the Democrats come to their senses and nominate a candidate of the caliber of Kennedy, Carter or Clinton (pre-Monica).

#13 Hyeflyer

Hyeflyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:plant breeding custom wood working

Posted 13 February 2002 - 08:32 PM

Its quite amussing the opinions of the Armenian comunity out side of the U.S. about our president.Now if he were the president of armenia and had bombed the f#%*k out of the Azeri's you would have cheered him.But to you he is a hot head .Kinda sounds like us doesnt it?

#14 hasmiek

hasmiek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 12:16 PM

i don't know...i'm a bit of a greeny vegetarian pacifist...sorry! Depends on what goals were bombed at the azeri's, -and at this moment- with what reasons. there's no need for another war.

i can't exacly say what dislikes me most about Bush. I guess I just don't agree with his policy, and that has a lot to do with me not liking him...yes yes-i know, that's no proper reason to think he's unfit to be a president.

#15 hasmiek

hasmiek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 05:04 AM

I have absolutely no respect for Gore. I will have to see if the Democrats come to their senses and nominate a candidate of the caliber of Kennedy, Carter or Clinton (pre-Monica).  

maybe Nader could be something for you...

why do the USA have only 2 parties that really count anyway...

#16 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Always changing

Posted 14 February 2002 - 05:05 AM

hahaha, you people knew I was coming didnt you?

Artur,

Any bets... ?

Havnt you heard, we are either with them OR against them, even those starving Somalies who have never seen a map (of world) before, are gonna have it, because they dont know what or who America is, hence they are terrorists.........[enter more stupidity]

highflyer,

Gore would be trying to give the Taliban wellfare and negotiating.

Whats wrong with negotiations? Oh, I forgot America does not negotiate with 'terrorists' (unless of course there is political gain....hint.....Kosovo)

Hasmiek,

i'm a bit of a greeny vegetarian pacifist...sorry!

LMAO, And SORRY you should be!

Azat,

I find that a lot of people judge him for the wrong reasons.

Although this may be true (I dont know him well enough), I figure the leader of the most powerful country in the world should have a (much) larger vocabulary.........it shows how well-read he is, which in turn shows what his intelect is.

That should be the case with you too. I hope.

Why?

TB,

So he obviously have much more talent in networking with the right people than his simpleton looks and body language suggest. Such networking ability helps a person to overachieve (relative to their "raw" intellectual horsepower), sometimes drastically, but it does not automatically qualify him as the optimal person to (essentially) run the planet.

Very well said.

This reminds me, I better get started on the American history.........

#17 Arturian

Arturian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 08:15 AM

Well, now even in the US there are complaints about Bush adding those coutries to the so-called "axis of evil".

I just wonder who writes the script for him.

He can't be serious.

With this type of statement... accusing one and/or another coutry, the USA is digging a whole under themselves.

About Afghanistan, generally what they are doing is right. Indeed fighting talibans will crash the terrorist network which support terrorist actions and muslim "freedom fighters" around the world including Chechnya, Kosovo, Kashmir, Palestine.

But America should not start its war against other countries. Iran has no relations with Talibans. It is non-sence. Talibans are wahhabis who call themselves sunnite muslims. And they hate shia muslims of Iran. I seriously doubt any connections between Afghani talibans and Iranians. America has problems with Iran, because of their attitudes towards the USA and nothing more.

#18 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 10:06 PM

About Afghanistan, generally what they are doing is right.

We'll see in a couple of years when donations run out, I bet the whole thing will revert back to anarchy and no one will give a damn, because it would be too expensive to fix.

Iran has no relations with Talibans.

Iran supports the Hezbullah, one of the biggest and most popular 'terrorist' organisations in the Muslim world.

America has problems with Iran, because of their attitudes towards the USA and nothing more.

No, America has problems because Iran is fiercly anti-Israeli, and the Jewish lobby is very strong in US........you know the rest

#19 Arturian

Arturian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 03:30 AM

Iran does not support Hesbollah. It is disinformation. There might be some people who do, but govrnment does not.

Tell me who in arabic world is not anti-israeli or anti-american? Only few, but people about 95% hate jews.

Also it is politically incorrect for americans to participate in peace talks between Irael and Palestine.

#20 Juggernaut

Juggernaut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 05:46 AM

Iran does not support Hesbollah. It is disinformation. There might be some people who do, but govrnment does not.

Hezbullah is the biggest Shiite Muslim 'terrorist' organisation. Whether Iran supports them or not, I dont know, what I do know is that its only logical for a strong relationship to be in existance between the two (Iran being Shiite, and fierce anti-Israel also). Also, the government support for a terrorist organisation will not be overt, so noone can conclude on this with much certainty.

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: Juggernaut ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users