• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Louise Kiffer

Louise Kiffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

To night, for a commemoration in Paris, I heard that Zaven Surmmelian had recited a poem: "Le souvenir de ma maison" which means: the memory of my home.
And another one recited from Chavarch Nartouni "tenir" which means: to hold.
Does anyone of you know these texts ?
Thank you

#2 Louise Kiffer

Louise Kiffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

I found that :
Leon Zaven Surmelian (Լեւոն Զաւէն Սըրմէլյան in Armenian) an Armenian-American author, was born in Trabzon in 1905 and died in 1995. He translated the Armenian epic, Daredevils of Sassoun ("Sasna Dzrer") into English, published by the Armenian General Benevolent Union, 1964. Other books in English include I Ask you Ladies and Gentlemen and 98.6o

Biography
Leon Surmelian was born in 1905 in Trabzon to pharmacist Karapet Syurmelyan, and Zvart Tiraturyan. Surmelian was the 3rd youngest of 4 children (1 brother and 2 sisters).

In 1915 during the Armenian Genocide, Surmelian lost both parents, but was adopted, along with his 3 siblings, by a Greek Doctor who was a family-friend. In 1916, when Surmelian was 11, he boarded a Russian ship to Batumi, then Krasnodar. After an armistice in 1918, Surmelian and his friends arrived in Constantinople and later to a school in Armash. About a year later, Surmelian and his friends decided to go to Armenia. In 1920, Surmelian returned to Constantinople to attend a religious school and orphanage.

In 1922, Surmelian moved to America (Kansas) with the Armenian Union of Agriculture and later began studying at Universities in Nebraska and California.

Surmelian began editing the weekly Armenian Messenger in Los Angeles in 1931. Surmelian wrote his first English book in 1945, an autobiography that depicted the events of the Genocide through the eyes of Surmelian as a 10 year old. Surmelian's 2nd book, 98.6 ° was released in 1950 and in 1968, Surmelian released his 3rd book, "For apples of Immortality: Folktales of Armenia ".

But his is named Zaven too "The memory of my house" I don't know if it is from him, or from another poet.

#3 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Is this it ?
Yes, his name is Levon (Leon) Zaven Surmelian
I corrected the orthography (of the poem) to as he would have written.
His is best known for his "I ask You Ladies and Gentlemen" and his translation of the "Daredevils of Sassoun"
Sorry I can't yet find Nardouni's poem.
----
Պատանի բանաստեղծը հասկանում է, որ կյանքին պետք է հաղթել և ինքն իրեն խորհուրդ է տալիս հինը չհիշել, ապրել նոր կյանքով, սակայն սրտի խորքում չէր սպիանում վերքը, կորուստները՝ հայրենի տունն ու ծնողները։ Որբությունը մխում էր սրտում, և նա գրում է
---
Տունիս Յիշատակը

Կը փնտռեմ իմ երգերով իմ տունըս՝ ա'լ յիշատակ,
Մինչ կաղօտի օրէ օր իմ պատկերը մտերիմ,
Իմ տունըս երգ մ'է, որուն բառերն այլևս չունիմ.
Իմ տունըս եար մ'է անուշ զոր կսիրեմ միսմինակ:
Կյիշեմ հօրս պատկերն՝ ինչպէս գլուխն Յիսուսին.
Մայրս՝ տրտում ու բարի, դեռ աղջիկ մ'էր նազելի,
Հայրս տեսնե~ր իմ հասակը ու աչքերս բոցով լի,
Մայրս գիտնա'ր, թե որքա~ն մարդերը զիս ծեծեցին:
Մտածումիս մէջ իմ տունըս ցերեկին աչք մ'է փորուած,
Ու գիշերները մռայլ մեռած աղջիկ մ'է կարծես՝
Զոր կսիրե~մ տակաւին... Հետո կուլամ խենթի պէս.
Ու ճրագս կմարեմ, որ չտեսնէ~ զիս Աստուած:

Edited by Arpa, 29 April 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#4 Louise Kiffer

Louise Kiffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Thank you for this poem the memory of my house", I'll translate it in French.

I am also interested by Sassountsi David that he translated in English I suppose. Did he translate the whole book ?

I saw that you have written in this forum one part of Sasountsi David, but you have not specified which part it is.

If you have the book in Armenian,(I have it in French but not in armenian) I am looking for the song 3 N° 24, when Ohan

said to his wife!

"Get up ! get up !open my heart and look inside (excuse-me I translate from French)
To day the wall of our town had been picked up
Our fresh garden had become green again
Our lamppost had been switched on again on the walls of the town
and the nightingale of our orchard sang again
There is no doubt: our young orphan David has put his foot on our lands !"

Can you please put me those 6 lines in armenian. I would like to recite it.

Thank you again.
Louise

#5 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

To night, for a commemoration in Paris, I heard that Zaven Surmmelian had recited a poem: "Le souvenir de ma maison" which means: the memory of my home.
And another one recited from Chavarch Nartouni "tenir" which means: to hold.
Does anyone of you know these texts ?
Thank you

Hi Louise,
I cannot find that work by Nardouni. Thank you for urging me to search. I was utterly disappointed that the Hanragitaran does not acknowledge this multitalented and prolific author in any form or shape.
I am sure you know that you have (virually) met him twice, once when he was born in Armash (Izmit), not too far from Adapazar, and again in Paris. :)
Below we read that he was born in Armash(1898), ended up in Paris where he earned his certificate of a medical doctor. At one point he set aside his medical practice and totally immersed in Armenian culture and literature. See it here**
Nardouni
Posted Image

http://www.azator.gr...-1898-1968-r-lr

114 տարի առաջ. 1898ի Փետրուար 13ին, հայրենի Արմաշի մէջ աչքերը բացաւ տաղանդաւոր հայ մանուկ մը։ Աւազանի անունն էր՝ Այվազեան Ասքանազ։ Կենսագիրները կը վկայեն, որ ծնողքը առաջին իսկ օրէն Շաւարշ կանչեց նորածինը։ Իսկ ի վերուստ գրելու բնատուր տաղանդով օժտուած այդ մանուկը, երբ մուտք գործեց հայ գրականութեան անդաստանէն ներս, իբրեւ գրչանուն ընտրեց Նարդունի մականունը՝ ծաղիկի անունէն ներշնչուած։

-----
Here is the eerie part.. My mother was a subscriber to his Հայ Բոյժ/Hay Bouzh and an avide reader, I/we also read it to some extent. I can still remember some of his feature articles. The likes of “Դոկտոր , Վարի տունըս հիւանդ է” ***and “Աղքատին Ինսուլինը”****

Մասնագիտութեամբ վկայեալ բժիշկ էր եւ տասնամեակներ հրատարակեց «Հայ Բոյժ» ամսագիրը։

**http://litopedia.org/index.php
***This was about hemorrhoids where we learned the Armenian word for it-թութք:
****Here was talking about garlic as the “poor man’s insulin”

Edited by Arpa, 02 May 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#6 Louise Kiffer

Louise Kiffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

Thank you for this poem the memory of my house", I'll translate it in French.

I am also interested by Sassountsi David that he translated in English I suppose. Did he translate the whole book ?

I saw that you have written in this forum one part of Sasountsi David, but you have not specified which part it is.

If you have the book in Armenian,(I have it in French but not in armenian) I am looking for the song 3 N° 24, when Ohan

said to his wife!

"Get up ! get up !open my heart and look inside (excuse-me I translate from French)
To day the wall of our town had been picked up
Our fresh garden had become green again
Our lamppost had been switched on again on the walls of the town
and the nightingale of our orchard sang again
There is no doubt: our young orphan David has put his foot on our lands !"

Can you please put me those 6 lines in armenian. I would like to recite it.

Thank you again.
Louise

#7 Louise Kiffer

Louise Kiffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

I thought that you had in English the poem 'Satsountsi David" as I saw it in this forum. Now I think it is an error. The poem that you have typed was a poem from Toumanian.
I'll look for it again in this forum, as you had written comments that I have registered. I can find it. Thank you.

Concerning Chavarch Nartouni, I did not meet myself but my father knew him very well, as Nartouni worked with Chavarch Missakian, who had created the armenian newspaper: Haratch !
He has worked with him more than 40 years. I did not know about hay pouj" but I had heard about it.

My daughter has fund a book in Armenian in the famous library in Paris "Hrant Samuel" (who is dead, but his daughter and son, are still busy with the shop, though they are
getting old, they would like to stop, but they are not decided).
The book is from Charvarch Nartouni "Loussamadian" tales and poetry, from 'odar' gardens - Printed by "Haratch".

I have another book too from Nartouni: "Loussaghen shirimner" they are homages to the famous poets or writers , with their pictures Avedis Aharonian, Roupen, Arpalian, Ochagan,
Torkom Kouchagian (Arkepiscobos), Papken Gatoghigos,, Hagop Malakian, Archag Tchobanian, Der Antreassian, Avedik Issahakian, Kourkén Alemchah, Hrant Aleanak.

The book has been printed in 1961. May be it is possible to find it. I heard that in Washington they have all the books in the Library. Haratch does no more exists, since Chavarch
Missakian is dead. His wife is still living.

Best thoughts from Louise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users