77 replies to this topic

#1 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:02 PM

My latest passion! Gardening! Next to wine and sex…flowers!!I am trying to grow these incredible sexy beasts called “red hot pokers.
Azat j, you got a cool garden, ever seen these?
You got hot flower? Share it! Uncle Armat wants to hear!

Attached Files

#2 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:09 PM

another pick,Admit it,isn't this one heck of a natur's masterpiece?pure architecture and beauty.

Attached Files

Edited by Armat, 17 May 2004 - 11:12 PM.

#3 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:21 AM

Wellllll. I love flowers and I enjoy gardening alot(though have lots of time restrictions now) but I do not have any "sexy" flowers.

I have many varieties of roses, tulips and daffodils. I have some gladiolas and narcissus and 2-3 kinds of lilies and also some hyacinths.(is that it? I think so) but really none of my flowers are exotic unfortunately. I do have few varieties of tulips(or should say use to have before the squirrels got to the bulbs) that are not common.

#4 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:01 AM

Admit it,isn't this one heck of a natur's masterpiece?pure architecture and beauty.

Yes.........but the underlying question is: can you smoke it? laugh.gif

#5 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ May 18 2004, 12:21 AM)
Wellllll. I love flowers and I enjoy gardening alot(though have lots of time restrictions now) but I do not have any "sexy" flowers.

I have many varieties of roses, tulips and daffodils. I have some gladiolas and narcissus and 2-3 kinds of lilies and also some hyacinths.(is that it? I think so) but really none of my flowers are exotic unfortunately. I do have few varieties of tulips(or should say use to have before the squirrels got to the bulbs) that are not common.

Azat J,you got lot more then I(just starting) but I am sad.gif the flower above red hot poker grows 6-9 zone which inclues CA but not MA.
Here is another interesting flower.
Kirengoshoma palmata

Attached Files

#6 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:14 AM

My mother had the green thumb in my family. Everything I try to grow, fails miserably (except my herbs - which is not surprising, as they're food-related). I think gardening is more convenient and fun when you have a backyard - and not just a mere balcony sad.gif

#7 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:17 AM

yes, but balcony is better excuse than a backyard when you want to throw a bottle of wine on someones head. wink.gif

#8 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:24 AM

Armat jan, the flowers I love(tulips) are best grown in your hood and what you like grows best in mine.

I also have many grape hyacinths also known as Armenian Hyacints

and this is what a dream garden would be like

#9 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ May 18 2004, 08:17 AM)
yes, but balcony is better excuse than a backyard when you want to throw a bottle of wine on someones head. wink.gif

Don't laugh Azat!! It' nearly happened. Our building is quite old (circa 1905) and the balcony tilts ever so slightly outward towards the street - I suppose it was designed this way for water drainage (?) unsure.gif Not sure, though. In anycase, I had an unopeped bottle of wine, chilled and waiting to be drunk, set out on the patio table with a couple of glasses. I went back into to get a cloth to wipe down the furniture (so we could bring out the food and eat of course) - and well, here's the chain of events very quickly:

-a gust of wind
-a broken spring (on the door)
-a swing of the patio door (caused by the gust)
-a falling chair (after being wacked by the swinging door)
-a slight bump of the table (by the falling chair)
-a rocking (and then tipping) of the wine bottle
-a rolling wine bottle
-a free-falling wine bottle ohmy.gif
-three floors later....
-a SHATTERED explosion of glass and wine formerly know as a wine bottle...

And there were people down below.... <whew>

#10 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:05 PM

1905? huh.gif

#11 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:07 PM

I know it did. You told us and this is why I was making a joke of the situation. smile.gif

#12 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:08 PM

ooops - my bad. wink.gif

#13 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:09 PM

Back to topic - i personally really like girbaras... do they grow in Cali? I know i can't get'em growing around here...

#14 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (Domino @ May 18 2004, 01:05 PM)
1905? huh.gif

yeah, approximately - maybe a few years later... 1908, or 1910. People have told me different things, depending on their background (either academic - history, or architechtural)

#15 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:12 PM

I also have many grape hyacinths also known as Armenian Hyacints

Wow Azat j,you suprise me every day.Funny I had hyacinths on my list.They do grow here as well.
This is what I planted today.Siberian irises and red Astilbe for background color.

Attached Files

• Attached File  iris.jpg   26.42KB   0 downloads

Edited by Armat, 18 May 2004 - 07:13 PM.

#16 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:14 PM

Red Astilbe

Attached Files

#17 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ May 18 2004, 08:12 PM)
.......Siberian irises and red Astilbe for background color.

cool.gif wow, you artist-types think of everything!

#18 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 01:23 AM

It doesn't always help if you have a garden but live in a house with people you don't want to live with, because your flowers can get mown down. Then there's the other story with herbs. The other day I made myself a tuna sandwich and was about to go out and pick some fresh roquette when I was told that they had recently been plucked for "weed"... sad.gif

#19 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 09:55 AM

what is roquette?

#20 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 19 May 2004 - 10:42 AM

Gardening has been a long time passion for me. It began many years ago with vegetable gardening from working in my dad's garden and branching out to digging and preparing gardens for others - I actually had a gardening business back in my teens. I have since expanded into trees, shrubs, flowers and whatnot and have even done a bit of landscape design (for others as well as for my own property). When we purchased our current home 15 years ago it had a few trees on it and some basic foundation beds all of which I have expanded quite a bit. My neighbors have even accused me of planting a forest as I (myself) have planted over 150 trees and shrubs - many speciman pieces...(several varieties of Oak, Maple, pine, spruce, fir, birch, hemlock, cypress and holly etc etc - and some real specimans - incl Dawn Redwood, Swiss Stone Pine, Blue Atlas Cedar, Deodora Cedar and Cyrptomeria.

still I am a believer in the bountry of the crops and have a dozen fruit trees (peaches, plums, apricots, apples and pears), strawberries, and 2 rasberry patches (black & red) and am planning a to put in some blueberry bushes this fall (have the ground already worked up for them). I also have planted quite a few flowering bushes and perrenial flowers (including grape hycinaths! , tulips, daffodils, astilbes (several kinds - red & white), hostas, irises, begonias, spirea, hydrangea, many roses - all different types, daylillies and and assortmant of other flowers. I have also planted many roddedendrons and azeleas as well as several varieties of ornamental mountain laurel, flowering magnolias (that smell awesome) - 2 different kinds of Japanese wisteria (purple and white that also smell great), many different viburnum as well as other flowering trees such as dogwoods, redbuds, cherry trees and Crape Myrtle. I had a Giant Sequoia growing for a few years but 2 drought years a few back did it in.

And at one point I was to put in a pretty nice sized water garden/pond...but the kids playset now sits where that was supposed to be... tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users