#21 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:01 AM

Sip when are you going to be back in LA. Ed and I have some car work that needs to be done bud.

#22 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(Azat @ Mar 2 2006, 10:01 PM) View Post
Sip when are you going to be back in LA. Ed and I have some car work that needs to be done bud.

balboa and rinaldi, union 76 station, ask for bob (the owner) and tell him Edward sent you
very honest guy

#23 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Mar 2 2006, 10:00 PM) View Post
Well it depends ... what kind of vehicle is it ... how long have you had it ... what is the maintenence record on it, and what was the problem as diagnosed?

But sorry to hear about the $1800 ... an engine rebuild is always very costly. Sometimes it's cheaper just to find a second hand or replacement engine and swap it or even get a whole new engine than to rebuild an old one. But all that takes time and effort so sometimes you just have to pay and get it fixed.

It's a Toyota Camry 99, I had it since 45K miles and have maintained well. It used to be leased before me, so that maybe the reason.

Anyway, after I had authorized the shop to repair they called me back and said that they have found something else, and to fix that they need to buy something like half of the engine which would cost more than replacing with a recycled engine for $3,800. They diagnosed two problems - bad cams and lifter, and a possible bad piston pin. I said forget it, I am not putting a $4000 engine in a car that's worth $6000 at best, and there is no guarantee that this engine would be any good, or maybe tomorrow the transmission will go bad or what not. Paid them $250 for their time to open and close the engine and left. I am thinking to just get rid of it and buy a new car. Or drive until it dies and try to sell what's left to a junkyard for a few hundred bucks. I will see, seems like one way or another I have lost around $4K smile.gif The good news is I am looking forward to having a new car smile.gif

#24 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:09 PM

Well, well, I just bought a brand new Honda Accord smile.gif My first car died from transmission, second car from engine and both were used cars. I figured to avoid bad luck I need a new car. Time will show if that worked.

#25 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

Congrats! I hope it serves you well for many many years.

#26 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

Nice car Sasun! smile.gif Congrats buddy! Drive it safely...

#27 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:39 PM

Thanks guys wink.gif

#28 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,256 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE(Sasun @ Mar 13 2006, 12:09 PM) View Post
Well, well, I just bought a brand new Honda Accord smile.gif My first car died from transmission, second car from engine and both were used cars. I figured to avoid bad luck I need a new car. Time will show if that worked.

Shnorhavor Sasun jan
Anportsanq
BArov MAshes
LAver@ MAshes

bayst et Accord@ Achqis ChorA yerevum wink.gif Ch@t@rchenq mi hat ??

#29 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(MosJan @ Mar 13 2006, 06:54 PM) View Post
Shnorhavor Sasun jan
Anportsanq
BArov MAshes
LAver@ MAshes

bayst et Accord@ Achqis ChorA yerevum wink.gif Ch@t@rchenq mi hat ??

Shnorhakal em Movses jan. Ha tshisht es asum, mi qich chora wink.gif De du karas qerid Edoi u Azati het trjes smile.gif

#30 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:41 PM

es inch enq trchum?

Sasun jan, anportsank lini aper.

#31 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE(Azat @ Mar 13 2006, 10:41 PM) View Post
es inch enq trchum?

Sasun jan, anportsank lini aper.

Shnorhakal em Azat jan.

Guys, since I have shared some of my problems, here is another: have you heard of a device to hook up an Ipod to the car CD player? In my old one I put a CD player that has an auxiliary line in, something that's missing on the new one. I have tried a radio transmitter but it sucks. Any other ways?

#32 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(Sasun @ Mar 13 2006, 03:09 PM) View Post

Good choice Sasoun, who needs a Camry if you can have Accord.rockon.gif

#33 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE(Sasun @ Mar 13 2006, 09:47 PM) View Post
Shnorhakal em Azat jan.

Guys, since I have shared some of my problems, here is another: have you heard of a device to hook up an Ipod to the car CD player? In my old one I put a CD player that has an auxiliary line in, something that's missing on the new one. I have tried a radio transmitter but it sucks. Any other ways?

Yes. I would personally avoid anything that is IPOD specific. A generic audio-in module would be much more preferred in my opinion. We would need to know what kind of radio you have in your car ... more specifically, whether it has CD changer controls on it or not.

But here's one link to get you started: http://www.pie.net

#34 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:26 PM

Sasun, this *might* be what you are looking for but verify first before buying. A local car audio store might be a good source of info for things like this.

But as far as installation, it is REALLY easy if you can get the dash apart to plug it into the back of the stereo. If touching the dash of a new car is somewhat of a scary proposition, again you might want to consult the pros smile.gif

In my jeep, I didn't even have to take the dash apart since I could just reach around behind the stereo by removing the glove box. But not too many passenger cars are as easy to mess with as jeeps.

#35 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

Thanks Sip, I knew you would know something about this smile.gif Actually, I don't need a line in for Ipod specifically, just a regular generic line because I don't have an ipod anyway.
My CD player does have CD changer controls, as well as a control for auxiliary. But those are just controls that won't do anything. Does that make it easier?

Yeah, you are right, taking the dashboard out is not something I am ready to do today. On my old one I broke the cover plate in the process of installing a CD player, I guess I am too clumsy for this type of work. Maybe I will just ask the pros to install the auxilliary line if that's not too costly.

Edited by Sasun, 14 March 2006 - 01:48 PM.

#36 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:19 PM

The CD changer controls indicate that you have a cd changer input at the back of your factory radio. That is where this module will plug in. There are things out there that let you control an IPOD specifically with those cd changer controls but yah, a generic line in is probably a lot more versatile.

If you look on the web, I'm sure you'll find information on how to open up your dash to get to the back of the radio. But yah, car audio stores do this on a daily basis.

The only thing you would have to make sure is whether the module works with your 06 (I assume it's an 06). On the website, most are still speced for up to 05 ... I don't know anything about hondas and whether anything changed from 05 to 06.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users