• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CheekY

CheekY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:07 PM

um i don't really know where to post this but anyway... do you think most priests are gay (not just in armenia but around the world)? i personally don’t believe them…

Edited by skittles, 21 October 2003 - 12:12 PM.

#2 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:27 PM

um i don't really know where to post this but anyway... do you think most priests are gay (not just in armenia but around the world)? i personally don’t believe them…

Don't believe what they say, or that they are gay?

#3 CheekY

CheekY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:34 PM

i don't believe what priests say :unsure: i'd rather stay home and pray in my room than go to a church.

#4 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:39 PM

As a matter of principle, priests in Armenia are not gay. :P

#5 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:54 PM

i don't believe what priests say :unsure: i'd rather stay home and pray in my room than go to a church.

Or you can stay home, and read what is writen in hyeforum, more particulary my theories about the meaning of life. :D

#6 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 21 October 2003 - 01:07 PM

Or you can stay home, and read what is writen in hyeforum, more particulary my theories about the meaning of life. :D

Yes skittles, that's right. This is a new religion, its called Fadixxxxxxxxxxism, we all practice it :)

#7 CheekY

CheekY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 01:23 PM

oh so now i'm the laughing stock? and fyi i'm saying that about "priests" cuz lots of people are dissing them...and yes even in armenia! <_<

#8 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 01:38 PM

One of my uncles was gay. Another we suspected had such tendencies, but did not act upon them. Three of my grandmother's four brothers on that side of the family were priests. My cousin on that side is gay and I am perceptually bi, although do not practice it. You come to your own conclusions as to why so many of my grandmother's brothers became priests. The trend toward homosexuality runs in families you know.

#9 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 01:45 PM

One of my uncles was gay. Another we suspected had such tendencies, but did not act upon them. Three of my grandmother's four brothers on that side of the family were priests. My cousin on that side is gay and I am perceptually bi, although do not practice it. You come to your own conclusions as to why so many of my grandmother's brothers became priests. The trend toward homosexuality runs in families you know.

skittles, I'm sure that even you can't read this without laughing. :)

BTW skittles, America-Hye will make your day, every time you feel sad. Just read him, and you'll see what I mean. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fadix, 21 October 2003 - 01:45 PM.

#10 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 21 October 2003 - 04:25 PM

As far as I can tell, from my personal observations, Armenian clergy have not made the news for their homosexuality. On the contrary some have made news for their heterosexual exploits. There may be many instances attesting to their virulent womanizings. In fact, as we speak Catholicos Garegin II may be in the company of Louise Simone, a woman. I doubt if it is a mother/son relationship.
Which brings us to...
I could not find much material on the subject. The following may be the most extensive... Celibacy is a manmade invention. There is no prescription in the scripture. On the contary marriage is prescribed as evidenced by the fact that Rabbis must be married.

Celibacy;
http://www.hoachland...002/100302a.txt
This topic has been discussed before even if in a different context.
Here;
http://www.armenians...?showtopic=3282

As to the subject. Why is it such a scandal for a celibate priest to have an affair with the opposite gender but homosexuality is taken in a matter of fact manner and shrugged off?
Is it because for a priest to have relations with the proverbial sinful "Eve" the temptress is seen as a threat, and relations with little boys just a source of amusement? Not at all amusing!
Coming back to Armenian celibate priests, an aquaintance of mine, a former vardapet, a former seminarian of Ejmiatsin, now married, intimated to me that Catholicos Vazken of blessed memeory had his "favorite" seminarians some of which ended up in high offices. I take this with a grain of salt as I did when he told me. Who knows? I am the proverbial "doubting Thomas" but my source, as paranoid he may be related these these facts as a first hand eyewitness, naming names and places.
As far as I am concerned, they may perform coitus with whomever and whatever they can get their grubby ... hands on as long as they stay away from me and my family.
Last but not least. Dear Skittles, stay away from priests until you are certain that they have abandonned their so called celibacy and are seriously and sincerely looking for a mate for life. As I stated at another time some may be looking to "have their Kate and Edith too", i.e the bset of both worlds, enjoying conjugal relationship without the risk of caring for a wife and children. In my opinion most homosexuals fall in that category.

#11 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 04:37 PM

oh so now i'm the laughing stock?

No that's why we have Accelerated and Domino :)

I wouldn't say all priests are "gay". Maybe that profession by nature tends to attract some of the more disturbed people but that doesn't mean all priests are a certain way. Some are actually very nice people (not saying gays are not nice) who dedicate their lives to helping others. Some are quite well educated and they make their life choice based on intelligent decisions rather than doing it "by the book".

One of my close relatives is a priest and after talking with him, I realized there is different reasons some may start to follow the "path of God". He workes VERY hard and is very very active in their community. Helping immigrants when they just arrive, etc etc. So although he does "sermons" on Sundays, his "priestness" goes way beyond just the church. That I respect a lot.

Should you listen to what a priest says blindly? Of course not. Should all priests be ignored? Probably not. No matter how you look at it, you HAVE to use your own brain in life and make up your own mind about each person and what they say no matter what "position" they may be in.

#12 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 04:40 PM

Oh and as far as my relative, he is certainly not gay ... married with two wonderful kids, one is same age as me :)

#13 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 21 October 2003 - 05:13 PM

Oh and as far as my relative, he is certainly not gay ... married with two wonderful kids, one is same age as me  :)

I thought they couldn't get married.... :o

#14 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 06:07 PM

I thought they couldn't get married.... :o

That applies if you're a catholic priest and/or a handful of other denominations. Armenian priests can marry - but (I'm not tto sure on this) I think it depends on where they fit within the religious heirarchy....

Speaking of religious heirarchy... new thread HERE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users