- - - - -

Global Warming - MJ Please Comment

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2000 - 02:39 PM

Check out this article and let me know what you think.

http://www.contingen.../commentary.htm

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2000 - 03:33 PM

Mike,

I have no opinion about this issue. I do believe that it has to be taken out of the political context. First, the climatologists have to come to a consensus, then we should expect actions from politicians.

But I believe that everybody has to pursue a responsible environmental policy.

Every manufacturing process has some impact on the environment. One has to find some kind of golden middle - not to oppress the economy, but not to let excessive pollution, either.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2000 - 03:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
First, the climatologists have to come to a consensus

This is exactly what the article is about. Removing all the B.S. and getting to the science of the issue. It was written by a friend of mine (so you know it's good--or bad ).

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2000 - 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pilafhead:
This is exactly what the article is about. Removing all the B.S. and getting to the science of the issue. It was written by a friend of mine (so you know it's good--or bad ).

It's good, then. But he hasn't made the case for Global Warming, though might've even not been his purpose. But, again, I would say, whether there is global warming or not, I don't know, but the issue certainly deserves serious attention.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2000 - 08:19 AM

That report is so mild, it could have been written twenty years ago! Is this the low level of concern that exists in America? Looking at the results of the recent climate change conference that is probably the case.

I hope that if America does not change its attitudes soon then the rest of the world will begin to put sanctions on America - trade sanctions to pressure its industries and politicians to reform, and severe travel restictions on all American citizens since they are the source of the problem.

Steve

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2000 - 10:45 AM

Well do you know what I about global warming? Litterbugs! Yes, along with this , and people not altering their general envioronmental habits, (using araesols, using recycled paper, dropping maddonals burger wrappers, etc) may only be a small difference, but were WARNED fifteen odd years ago that they global climates would go crazy (the north pole continues to melt as we speak) in the year 2000. They did'nt listen and hey presto look at what has happenned.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2000 - 11:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bellthecat:
That report is so mild, it could have been written twenty years ago! Is this the low level of concern that exists in America?

No, the article was intended to be mild. The person that wrote it is quite an activist, but the magazine that asked for the article wanted a no-rhetoric, straight piece. The idea was to cut through the emotions and just discuss the current "science" behind the opposing sides.

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2000 - 03:25 PM

But maybe the time for mildness has passed. I do not think people, be they in England or Bangladesh or Tuvalu, who see rising sea levels threaten their homes are feeling very mild!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users