#1 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 03 February 2005 - 06:54 PM

Why is today Vardanants Day when we know that the Battle was fought on May 26th?
I know the (stupid) answer. I have written about it before. It is the Thursday before Mardi Gras/Bargindan.
It is still stupid no matter why!!

Hay em yes, qaj em yes,
Sarsapetsek im dzerqes.
Hayastan@ azatogh
Qaj Vardani torn em yes.

I wonder who composed the above. It smells Western Armenian.

Her is one Vardan;
http://www.hayastan....ory/index3.html
And here another;
http://www.colbertar...stBio.asp?ID=42

Edited by Arpa, 03 February 2005 - 07:25 PM.

#2 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:02 PM

so what's your point? rolleyes.gif dry.gif
whoever is a Vartan out there...Anoonovneet abrehk

#3 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Maral @ Feb 4 2005, 01:02 AM)
so what's your point?  rolleyes.gif  dry.gif
whoever is a Vartan out there...Anoonovneet abrehk

With all due respect to Vardan himself and all the Kaj Vardans, I still say it is stupid that Vardananq was hijacked by the church to look like a religious war when it was a patriotic one.
Alright! The church hijacked it and now it is their property.
So! If it is a relegious war and the property of the church, why then it was assigned such a stupid (movable) date, based on the Passover calendar?
The reason given is that it had to be taken out of the holy season of lent.
Why?
Did not we say that it has become a symbol of religious war and that it has become the property of the church, a holy war, then why it would have to be scheduled out of the holy season?
Besides. As we saw above the Battle was fought in late May or early June. I don't remember lent ever being in May or June. mad.gif

#4 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Feb 3 2005, 06:54 PM)
Why is today Vardanants Day when we know that the Battle was fought on May 26th?
I know the (stupid) answer. I have written about it before. It is the Thursday before Mardi Gras/Bargindan.
It is still stupid no matter why!!

Hay em yes, qaj em yes,
Sarsapetsek im dzerqes.
Hayastan@ azatogh
Qaj Vardani torn em yes.

I wonder who composed the above. It smells Western Armenian.

Her is one Vardan;
http://www.hayastan....ory/index3.html
And here another;
http://www.colbertar...stBio.asp?ID=42

The first Varda is the one we used to color in grade school wink.gif and would be above he Vardanatz poem...oh that brought back memories!
and the second...he plays the piano I hear wink.gif

I remember a certain Armenian professor calling Vardan a traitor.

#5 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:52 PM

Darn it,I just remembered I have several Vardans to call tonight!Like I had nothing else to do mad.gif

#6 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:56 PM

When do/did they celebrate Vardananq in Yerevan?
Here is what the Hanragitaran says;
Vardanants Ton; Sasanian Parskastani dem herosabar zohvats 1036 yereveli martikneri hishatakin nvirvats amenamya kronakan ton. Nshvum e Mardi 1-in

I don't see where it says it is movable and that it has to be oustide of the Lent season.

#7 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:02 PM

Interesting point you're making...wonder where we can get some reliable answers.

#8 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:37 AM

The Spring in Armenia was a war season, prety much like anywhere else. The High Clergy decided to move the date of Vartanants Day to February 4 to boost the military spirit among the young.

#9 sev-mard

sev-mard

As it was in the beginning, so it shall be...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:46 AM

Do you guys have a link or a book where I could learn more about this? Sounds interesting...

#10 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (sev-mard @ Feb 23 2005, 08:46 AM)
Do you guys have a link or a book where I could learn more about this? Sounds interesting...

http://www.armenian.com/history4.html

#11 Ludwig9

Ludwig9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:51 PM

Here is the most important point regarding the Vartanantz war, which the previous website left out. This was one of the main reasons of the war. Revisionists hijacked the history to conform it to their ideals.

http://216.239.63.10...artanantz&hl=en

The following is a letter from the Armenian clergy to the Persian king, responding to his demands that the Armenian people convert to paganism, or the King will force them too (taken from Yeghisheh's The History of Vartanank.):

To Mihrnerseh, the Grand Commander:
Many greetings to You and to the Great Army of the Aryans, in Peace loving Spirit.
This Jesus Christ, who within Himself redeemed the whole world, came to death of His own will; and, by means known to Himself and God, he assumed a solid form from the Pure Virgin, was born, wrapped in swaddling clothes and laid in a manger, to which He guided the wise men from the East to worship Him. He performed great miracles and magnificent deeds among the Hebrews, was betrayed by the priests and convicted by Pontius Pilate. He was crucified, died, was buried, and rose gain on the third day, and appeared to His twelve disciples and to many others to more than five hundred persons. He promised to come a second time with a terrible might to wake the dead, to redeem the whole world, to deal strict justice to the innocent and the sinners, to reward the deserving and to punish the wicked who do not believe in these benevolent deeds.
From this faith no one can shake us, neither angels nor men, neither sword, nor fire, nor water, nor any, nor all horrid tortures. All our goods and possessions are in your hands, our bodies are before you; dispose of them as you will. If you leave us to our belief, we will, here on earth, choose no other master in your place, and in heaven choose no other God in place of Jesus Christ, for there is no other God. But should you require anything beyond this great testimony, here we are; our bodies are in your hands; do with them as you please. Tortures from you, submission from us; the sword is yours, the neck ours. We are no better that our fathers, who, for the sake of this faith, surrendered their goods, their possession, and their bodies.
Were we even immortal, it would become us to die for the love of Christ; for He Himself was immortal and so loved us that He took death on Himself, that we, by His death, might be freed from eternal death. And since He did not spare His immortality, we, who became mortal of our own will, will die for His love willingly, so that He may make us participators in His immortality. We shall die as mortals that He may accept our death as that of immortals.
Do not, therefore, interrogate us further concerning all this, because our bond of faith is not with men to be deceived like children, but to God with whom we are indisoluably bound and from Whom nothing can detach and separate us, neither now, nor later, nor forever, nor forever and ever.

#12 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Maral @ Feb 4 2005, 01:52 AM) View Post
Darn it,I just remembered I have several Vardans to call tonight!Like I had nothing else to do mad.gif

So, Maral, did you call all the Vardans in your life?
Do you know when Vardanants is this year?
I do.
It is 19 days, count them, 19 days later than it was in 2005.
Of course, you would know that if you knew when Passover is.
Let’s “pass over” this fiasco and see what Grigor Satamian has to say about it.
Go to jokes, Armenian, Krikor Satamian and click on #40.
http://www.hamovhoto...AudioJokes.html
For those who cannot get the audio and have problem with the language;
The Yeretskin was enamored with a young man. Every night at exactly 10 PM she would find an excuse like “it is too hot” etc. and go up to the roof to meet her paramour. This went on night after night until TerHayr ‘s curiosity took over, and one night he decided to go up to the roof himself. At exactly 10 PM he felt something touching him from behind. He turned around and confronted the young man;
-“Tso, inch kanes?
-Neroghutyun TerHayr, k’ouzeyi dzez hartsnel te yerb e Vandanants@ (I meant to ak you when Vardanants is)..
-Tso, anpitan! Miteh vor@s oratsuyts eh? (You rascal! Is my backside a calendar?)

Of course, we can joke about the date of Vardanants, but d o you see me laughing?
Do you think I think it is funny?
Guess again.
What the hell is going on here?
Is this some kind of a joke?
Only Armenians, forever subjugated to Turks and Jews would put up with such garbage.
Why is the Armenian calendar based on Passover?
Pass over what?
I would rather pass over the whole thing!
Let them pass over the Gaza frontier and see how funny it can be!

Edited by Arpa, 31 January 2006 - 03:33 PM.

#13 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:12 PM

Perhaps this belongs in the Humor section.
Anyway.
Another calendar joke.

TerHayr became sick and tired of people asking him when Easter was, and not knowing exactly.
Until.... Stroke of genius!!!
He decides to place 40, count them, forty/qarsoun, (that ubiquitous “sacred number again”) roasted chickpeas in his pocket. Eat one every day and count the days left until Easter.
Yeretskin, the typical dedicated and doting Armenian wife that she was, would check TerHayr’s pockets every morning. One day she noticed that TerHayr was running out of roasted chick peas (leb-leb), she took a fistful of them and replenished the supply.
Next day, when another parishioner asked TerHayr when Eater was he reached in his pocket and , puzzle!, puzzle!?
-If I remember correctly, it must be a few days away, but according to the (calendar) number of chickpeas left in my pocket… it must be hundreds of days away.

#14 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 04:26 PM

Hey you guys!
How many here knew that today Feb. 15, 2007 is Vardanants Day?
Yup! Exactly! 12 days after Sb. Sargis, the last Thursday before Ash Wednesday.
Some may say Vardanants is the most important date in our history, ummm, maybe next to you know what.
Speaking of which. Why does April 24 always falls on April 24? Have they not heard of the church calendar?
I bet even Hagarag Mamikonean did not know this.
Maybe some of our Vardan Lousavorichians did but did not want the rest of us to know.
Sshh. Don't let our clergy calendrists hear this, lest their secret be reveled.

Edited by Arpa, 15 February 2007 - 04:47 PM.

#15 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:08 PM

Shnorhavor mer Ton@ Arpa jan, Happy Vartanants Day

#16 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

IPB Image

Edited by gamavor, 15 February 2007 - 09:31 PM.

#17 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

Cool picture! Who designed that?

#18 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Feb 16 2007, 03:46 AM) View Post

Cool picture! Who designed that?

That is Grigor Khanjian
It is a partial detail from ahuge tapestry prtraying every historical person possible, be they military, religious, artistic or literary, see how many you can identify;
http://www.armsite.c...ters/khandjyan/
Browse galleries (#4)and see other parts of it.

Edited by Arpa, 15 February 2007 - 10:59 PM.

#19 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:16 AM

Thanks Arpa.

Interesting. I had seen those Komitas pieces displayed on various websites. Now I know who painted them.

#20 aghzar

aghzar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Feb 15 2007, 05:26 PM) View Post

Hey you guys!
How many here knew that today Feb. 15, 2007 is Vardanants Day?
Yup! Exactly! 12 days after Sb. Sargis, the last Thursday before Ash Wednesday.
Some may say Vardanants is the most important date in our history, ummm, maybe next to you know what.
Speaking of which. Why does April 24 always falls on April 24? Have they not heard of the church calendar?
I bet even Hagarag Mamikonean did not know this.
Maybe some of our Vardan Lousavorichians did but did not want the rest of us to know.
Sshh. Don't let our clergy calendrists hear this, lest their secret be reveled.

Because April 24 is not a church holiday, but an Armenian national holiday. The only church part of it, is that hokehanist is said for the souls of of those who died in 1915. Since hokehankist is always said on the anniversary of the persons' death, except for right after they die when it is said 40 days after the death, it doesn't change according to the church calendar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users