WASHINGTON, DC - Thousands of Armenians from the United States and
throughout the world are expected to watch the live internet
Webcast this Thursday, September 15th (starting at 10:30am EST) of
a key Congressional panel's consideration of Armenian Genocide
legislation, reported the Armenian National Committee of America
(ANCA).

For the first time in nearly five years, the influential U.S. House
International Relations Committee will discuss and vote upon
legislation on the Armenian Genocide (H.Res.316 and H.Con.Res.195).
In October of 2000, the panel voted 24 to 11 to approve the
Armenian Genocide Resolution, but the measure was eventually
withdrawn from consideration only minutes before it was to go
before the full House of Representatives.

To watch the live Webcast, visit the website of the U.S. House
International Relations Committee and click on "Live webcast of
meeting."

Thursday, September 15th - 10:30 am

http://wwwc.house.go...ional_relations

"We have been tremendously encouraged by the growing number of
Armenians who are taking advantage of webcast technology to watch -
in real time - the Committee's consideration of legislation on the
Armenian Genocide," said Aram Hamparian, Executive Director of the
ANCA. "We join with Armenians throughout the United States in
looking forward to this opportunity to watch the legislative
process in action."

#2 Marseliatsi_M26

Marseliatsi_M26

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:49 PM

14 September 2005-TURKEY /NEW YORK
Cihan News Agency-World

Jewish lobby in US pledges support to Turkey on Armenian allegiations
Representatives of the Jewish associations in the US have announced that they would favor Turkey if a draft bill regarding the Armenian allegations of genocide committed by the Ottoman authorities during WW1 are presented in the US Congress.

PM Recep Tayyip Erdošan today received representatives of US Jewish associations in New York where he will attend the United Nations Millennium Summit.

The Jewish representatives thanked Turkey for its help sent following the Katrina hurricane disaster, and also expressed their appreciation of Erdogan's contribution to regional stability and democratic efforts in the middle east.

In relation to attempts to have a bill passed in the US Congress condemning as genocide the deaths of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire during World War 1, the Jewish delegation said that they would go on backing Turkey. Erdošan also denied the allegations of genocide and stated that the archives relevant to the issue has been opened to researchers.

The Jewish delegation also expressed their thanks to Erdošan for Turkey's hosting of the recent Israeli-Pakistani top-level diplomatic meeting held in Istanbul.

http://www.cihannews.com/

#3 Marseliatsi_M26

Marseliatsi_M26

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:52 PM

WASHINGTON, SEPTEMBER 14, NOYAN TAPAN - ARMENIANS TODAY. The American Hellenic Institute (AHI) urged House International Relations Committee Chairman Henry Hyde (R-IL) to work for committee approval of Armenian Genocide legislation, set to be considered by the panel on Thursday, September 15, reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA).

In a September 13th letter to Chairman Hyde, AHI Executive Director Nick Larigakis explained that, "Americans of Hellenic origin, and I believe most Americans, have long held that the U.S. Congress should be on record as recognizing the Armenian Genocide, commemorating this crime against all humanity, and applying its lessons to help prevent future atrocities and genocides." He went on to note that "Sadly, due to the powerful pressure brought to bear by the Turkish lobby's threats and intimidation, legislation along these lines has been blocked from passage."

"We want to thank Nick Larigakis and all our friends at the American Hellenic Institute for their steadfast support for U.S. recognition of the Armenian Genocide," said ANCA Executive Director Aram Hamparian. "The assistance of our Greek American allies for this legislation means a great deal to us - here in Washington, DC, and in communities around the country."

The American Hellenic Institute strengthens United States relations with Greece and Cyprus and within the American Hellenic community.

Congressional support for Armenian Genocide legislation (H.Res.316 and H.Con.Res.195) continued to grow this week, with House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) joining Ways and Means Committee Chairman Bill Thomas (R-CA) in pledging support for H.Res.316.

http://www.mediaforu...9&LangID=1#8479

#4 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (Marseliatsi_M26 @ Sep 14 2005, 06:49 PM)
14 September 2005-TURKEY /NEW YORK
Cihan News Agency-World

Jewish lobby in US pledges support to Turkey on Armenian allegiations
Representatives of the Jewish associations in the US have announced that they would favor Turkey if a draft bill regarding the Armenian allegations of genocide committed by the Ottoman authorities during WW1 are presented in the US Congress.

PM Recep Tayyip Erdošan today received representatives of US Jewish associations in New York where he will attend the United Nations Millennium Summit.

The Jewish representatives thanked Turkey for its help sent following the Katrina hurricane disaster, and also expressed their appreciation of Erdogan's contribution to regional stability and democratic efforts in the middle east.

In relation to attempts to have a bill passed in the US Congress condemning as genocide the deaths of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire during World War 1, the Jewish delegation said that they would go on backing Turkey. Erdošan also denied the allegations of genocide and stated that the archives relevant to the issue has been opened to researchers.

The Jewish delegation also expressed their thanks to Erdošan for Turkey's hosting of the recent Israeli-Pakistani top-level diplomatic meeting held in Istanbul.

http://www.cihannews.com/

Memory refreshing here is in order. Perhaps the Armenian lobby should remind the Jewish lobby, the Turkish authorities using the term "Palestinian genocide." And how the current Turkish government is Jewishophobic, and how the Turkish media the last years vilified Jews.

#5 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:43 PM

Here is how I will place the the thing. If this bill pass, I will be ready to reconsider that Turkey might one day recognize the genocide.

But, there is nothing free, I don't think the bill will pass. And the bets are open.

#6 hytga

hytga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:computers

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:33 PM

The Jewish delegation also kiessed Erdošan's a@@ for Turkey's hosting of the recent Israeli-Pakistani top-level diplomatic meeting held in Istanbul. which i have no idea what relationship is to jews.

#7 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:48 PM

Turks play a sly game. They know what the stakes are. Don't forget that the REAL power structure in Turkey is not Erdogan but the military. If they wish they can depose him at a moment's notice.

Jews are looking out for #1, their Israel. Armenian Genocide is not central to their continued existance, but the Turkish alliance is.

Also tracing of the money trail of confiscated Armenian bank funds and properties will reveal much.

#8 Lev7

Lev7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:33 AM

All I can say is shame to Israel and the Isreali lobby here in U.S. It is not only sad but disgusting!

#9 Nakharar

Nakharar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 04:09 AM

If the genocide bill passes one day, but most likely not this time, the Turks will fight to the end. Or at least recognize the Genocide according to their own terms.

#10 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:49 AM

Both genocide bills will probably pass through the International Relations Committee with no problem. The issue is getting them to the floor of the House for a vote.

Is anyone watching the live telecast now? I'm having problems connecting.

#11 Lev7

Lev7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (karakash @ Sep 15 2005, 02:49 PM)
Both genocide bills will probably pass through the International Relations Committee with no problem.  The issue is getting them to the floor of the House for a vote.

Is anyone watching the live telecast now?  I'm having problems connecting.

Works fine here. But they did not mention that they are going to vote on the Armenian Genocide bill only the Rawandan one, I do not know maybe I missed it

#12 Lev7

Lev7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:53 AM

They are talking about it right now

#13 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:20 AM

I'm at work right now and I can't get the thing on Real Networks to work. I think it must be the network connection in my office...

Please post what is going on. I don't want to call the ANCA office - I'm sure some of them are at the markup now.

#14 Lev7

Lev7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:37 AM

Most of the people who speak are for it, only one person denied the Genocide. They are going to vote on 11:45-12pm

#15 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Lev7 @ Sep 15 2005, 10:37 AM)
Most of the people who speak are for it, only one person denied the Genocide. They are going to vote on 11:45-12pm

Doesn't mean much, most of those opposing it are cowards, they just don't speak.

#16 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:46 AM

Was Tom Lantos from California the one that spoke against it?

I'm curious - Was Jeff Fortenberry from Nebraska there?

#17 Lev7

Lev7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (karakash @ Sep 15 2005, 03:46 PM)
Was Tom Lantos from California the one that spoke against it?

I'm curious - Was Jeff Fortenberry from Nebraska there?

Lantos did not believe that the Genocide happened, but still supported it based on Turkey's refusal to allo U.S. troops during the second Iraq war.

#18 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Lev7 @ Sep 15 2005, 10:55 AM)
Lantos did not believe that the Genocide happened, but still supported it based on Turkey's refusal to allo U.S. troops during the second Iraq war.

Wow. I'm shocked. He is the most pro-Turkey person on that committee.

Which bill have they discussed so far - H. Res. 316 or H. Con. Res. 195.

#19 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (karakash @ Sep 15 2005, 10:58 AM)
Wow.  I'm shocked.  He is the most pro-Turkey person on that committee.

Thanks for the updates, I really appreciate it. Where are you in Boston, I went to BC.

#20 Lev7

Lev7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (karakash @ Sep 15 2005, 03:58 PM)
Wow.  I'm shocked.  He is the most pro-Turkey person on that committee.

I think they discussed both.

They went to lunch right now, 9 people still want to speak and 3 votes are pending. They will be back at 2pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users