62 replies to this topic

#61 AntranigBey

AntranigBey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(gamavor @ Jan 4 2007, 09:16 AM)  

Two simple questions? Since when Antranig became "bey"? Since when "kismet" is better word than "hajogh"?

1. You obviously don't know Armenian history good enough to know about the name I chose. Since you chose sarcasm as a way of revealing it, I will not throw the pearl to swine.
2. Since when did 'kismet' mean the same thing as 'hajogh'?

#62 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Jun 29 2004, 01:18 PM)
Does anyone have access to Abp. Turian's complete bigraphy?

Archbishop. Ghevont Tourian 1879-1933

Murder at the Altar

On Christmas Eve morning in 1933, the head of the Armenian Church in America, Archbishop Ghevont Tourian, is stabbed to death with a double-edged butcher knife as he begins Sunday services. His infamous murder in a little New York City church is witnessed by hundreds of parishioners – among them, a newspaper reporter named Tom Peterson.

The next day, this story is splashed on the front page of every major daily in Manhattan. And no wonder. Not since the assassination of Thomas à Becket has such a high religious leader been slain in a house of worship. This gruesome homicide shatters the Armenian community and confounds the cops. Was it a terrorist attack to silence a political adversary, a KGB plot to discredit anti-communists in America, or simply a tragic turn in an ancient, bitter dispute?

#63 onjig

onjig

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Location:Ranch in Sierra Nevada Mountains, California, Ranch in Nevada
  • Interests:Family, Armenia, Armenians,skiing, crop, too much to list.

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

One day about 65 years ago ~ sitting at my aunt's kitchen table, I said: " I'm a Tashnag " ~ now I had no idea what a tashnag or ramgavar was ~ she ~ my aunt began to tremble and tearing ~  telling me of the murder of the Archbishop in the church during Holy Badarak ~ the the Archbishop would not display the tricolor for fear of reprisals against the Armenian people under Soviet rule ```

I wasn't sure it was true ~ that the Archbishop was really killed, murdered in the church ~ could Armenians really do that ~ well I never forgot what I was told ~ but haven't thought about it ~ except at times when I  couldn't help it ```

A cousin who I love ~ he's gone now ~ was Tashnag ( however you spell it ) we never talked about the murder ~ wish we had ```

Edited by onjig, 30 October 2018 - 12:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users