• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Arad9

Arad9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 11:38 PM

To assimilate or not to assimilate that is the question. Should Armenians in Diaspora assimilate to the country that they are living, if yes then to what degree?

#2 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 01:22 AM

It is very individual issue. Everyone finds his own reasons. The short answer is no, the more complicated issue is why? Someone asked why there are Armenian Protestants? Why? Because they have their own reasons. Why I like Beatles, why I want to be Armenian, why you study, why you want to have sex?
As far as genetics are concerned.... While I was in New York I've noticed that people are extremely interested to know your origins. It is kind of sport over there. People were asking me weather I'm Irish more than any other nationality. Two times they took me for German, although I don't think I look German. One time for Danish. Another time one of those tourist's guys stopped me on the street and started talking to me in Italian, and was shocked that I'm not Italian. The closest was an Indian guy, street vendor who was 100% sure that I'm Greek. :)

#3 shiner

shiner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 10:22 PM

If you are talking on an individual basis, I think it's best for everyone to fully integrate in the society they are part of in terms of behavior, mentality, way of life etc. You can do this while still being familiar with your native culture in terms of history, language, foods, music, etc.

On a mass basis it's uncontrollable. It's not something that can be decided by anyone. Sociological and many other factors control the rate and degree of assimilation.

Edited by shiner, 20 September 2003 - 10:23 PM.

#4 A_D_G

A_D_G

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 10:43 AM

It is (in my oppinion) very wrong to assimlate within the country Armenians live due to the fact we are a dying people and we must keep our culture and values so we can pass them on to future Armenians. There is some assimlation we can not prevent, the easiest one is speaking the launguage of the country we are in more than Armenian. But it's a good idea to at least speak Armenian at home so we won't forget our language. But it is sad how Armenias are starting to lose their Christian morals and family values in other countries especially in North America. A lot of the education has to come from the parents to their children and its a constant struggle between the old world Armenians and their children born in the Diaspora. This is our true fight and we must stand up to protect our culture or else we will wash out our race and the Turks will sit back and laugh cause hey, they don't have to kill us anymore. We will kill ourselves.

Edited by A_D_G, 15 October 2003 - 10:45 AM.

#5 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Tennis, Jazz, Modern Art, Red Wine

Posted 15 October 2003 - 10:54 AM

I finally got it. We must prevail so that Turks don't laugh at us. I finally got motivated for the continuing existence of the Armenian nation. :flex:

#6 A_D_G

A_D_G

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 11:21 AM

Well let's put aside the Turks and everyone. It's not about anyone else. It's just Armenians having to protect their culture. Face it nobody else on this planet cares about us. We just have to protect ourselves.

Edited by A_D_G, 15 October 2003 - 11:22 AM.

#7 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:26 PM

do we have a choice? okay maybe we do for 1 or 2 generation, but in the long run do we have a choice?

#8 A_D_G

A_D_G

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 12:26 AM

Maybe not it really is a tough topic. It's a good point.

#9 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 06:28 AM

If you are talking on an individual basis, I think it's best for everyone to fully integrate in the society they are part of in terms of behavior, mentality, way of life etc. You can do this while still being familiar with your native culture in terms of history, language, foods, music, etc.

On a mass basis it's uncontrollable. It's not something that can be decided by anyone. Sociological and many other factors control the rate and degree of assimilation.

Good post shiner :), that's almost exactly how i feel...

#10 A_D_G

A_D_G

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 10:24 AM

I disagree with shiner and vava. I mean why integrate fully into another society? Well Armenians are a dying race of people. It is ok for a chinese person or a mexican let's say to integrate into another society cause look at their populations! If they lose a few people it won't destroy the race. But Armenians are so few that if we lose our identy, we will only be known as an ancient civillization in about 100 years. And before I have lived in areas where there where no Armenians. It is controllable because it only made me stronger in my culture and way of life. It also helped that they hated Armenians, but that actually did better because instead of integrate to become like everyone else and fit in, I just became more involved in my Armenian culture and I'll die to protect that. Me and all the Armenians I am friends with.

Edited by A_D_G, 16 October 2003 - 10:25 AM.

#11 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 10:46 AM

I disagree with shiner and vava. I mean why integrate fully into another society? Well Armenians are a dying race of people. It is ok for a chinese person or a mexican let's say to integrate into another society cause look at their populations! If they lose a few people it won't destroy the race. But Armenians are so few that if we lose our identy, we will only be known as an ancient civillization in about 100 years. And before I have lived in areas where there where no Armenians. It is controllable because it only made me stronger in my culture and way of life. It also helped that they hated Armenians, but that actually did better because instead of integrate to become like everyone else and fit in, I just became more involved in my Armenian culture and I'll die to protect that. Me and all the Armenians I am friends with.

Dear ADG
As sober as this sounds like your kids born in US or in Diaspora (minor exceptions perhaps some Islamic coutries) in general are going to be called American Armenians, French Armenians etc. and their kids will be called simply Americans, French etc. I would not worry about the dying part. As long as we have our republic we will have Armenians who will carry on. It is up to individuals to preserve what they want. I personally can do so much but lets face it our kids home countries are not republic of Armenia.
I also think you misunderstand integration part. By integration does not mean forgetting everything that is unique about you but being part of society in general. You really don’t have a choice here unless you join some sect and isolate yourself. Having said the above I commend your patriotism and general feeling of having pride of being an Armenian.

#12 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 10:47 AM

While it is noble and honourable to wish to preserve one's culture - I do not think that integrating to a new host culture/community means necessarily the abandonment of one's roots. I think it's possible to evolve and adapt while retaining important aspects of one's heritage. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Furthermore, I think a consiencious resistance to adaptation of a new culture can cause many undesireable situations within the 'new' local community (racism, zenophobia, etc.) and can significantly impede the progress of the immigrating group.

The ability to integrate/adapt to host societies has been a vital component of Armenian culture - we have been doing it for a long time now - and yet we have still 'preserved' to a certain extent, our heritage.

#13 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 10:50 AM

Armat, you beat me to it - but I think our sentiments are pretty similar. ;)

#14 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 10:52 AM

Vava we posted at the same...

#15 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 10:54 AM

Armat, you beat me to it - but I think our sentiments are pretty similar. ;)

:D

#16 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 10:55 AM

For the sake of clarity, could someone define what Armenian Culture and Heritage mean? Could one give a dense half a page description?

#17 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 11:10 AM

For the sake of clarity, could someone define what Armenian Culture and Heritage mean? Could one give a dense half a page description?

Americans view their culture through history; Arts, Food, Language, TV, Sports and I see no reason not to apply the same criteria to Armenians unless you (anonymous you) think we are from Mars.

#18 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 11:20 AM

Does this answer the question?

#19 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 16 October 2003 - 11:27 AM

Does this answer the question?

MJ - noted (here & above...Turks laughing at us...what to do - what to do?...LOL...)...but my advice to you...take 2 Paklava, a shot of Raki, listen to some Gomidas, and check back in the morning...LOL...seriously though wasn't it a bit of a rhetorical question? (though perhaps the possible answers might prove interesting...particualrly if they are all different - LOL)

#20 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 11:27 AM

I sense a danger zone here.Someone is going to blur out AG and the shit will hit the fan :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users