#41 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:10 AM

its about USA Armenians who buy Turkish products, products which are available from Armenian as well, far superior in quality

example are countless, few weeks ago i got in an argument with Iranian-Armenian shop owner who sells Turkish pickled pepers
the same product is available from Armenia....much much better ones, but he said customers are mostly Polsahays and would not buy Armenian goods.

same for miniral water and etc.....

buy the way, how is dolma laity? wink.gif looks like you need to a Good Armenian dolma

#42 DeLaLa

DeLaLa

The Dolminator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Dolma udel !

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

the same product is available from Armenia....much much better ones, but he said customers are mostly Polsahays and would not buy Armenian goods.

Edwardjaaaaan ... iyaaa ... ok let me tell you my speculation of this sentence . how about "the same product is available from Armenia but to make business with armenia is a pain in the vorig , they bully you wherever they can and take the money but dont send your products in a proper way" so , edward wouldnt it be easier in this case to do say "customers are mostly Polsahays and would not buy Armenian goods" ??? lol

Edited by DeLaLa, 22 July 2007 - 08:10 AM.

#43 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:35 AM

DeLaLa jan, Armenians in Armenia have very few choices. Its either local, Turkish or Iranian qualities of the later two are the same if not worse, considering that Armenian people probably buy the cheapest products available. Here in the US especially in LA we have a choice. And by buying Armenian products we directly help Armenia to improve its economy and its products. By buying Turkish we do the opposite, We directly help a country that has been blockading our homeland for more than a decade.

#44 DeLaLa

DeLaLa

The Dolminator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

Avonjan, yes you are in theory absolutely right , and i can fully understand your oppinion . what i basically wanted to point out is that there are also lots of armenian businessmen all over the world who have had very bad experience with working together with armenia and that you must count with the fact that lots of them just got fed up with having to deal with those headaches . so if the foodproducts come on time and money transfers are correct from turkish businessmen in comparison to a corrupt armenian businessman , then it should be logical that armenians prefer dealing with the more shnorkov . am i wrong? besides that i do believe that at first place it is more important to the armenian-supermarket owner to earn a lot of money , then thinking about boykotting things . look , avo , for example for comparison ...if there was war and everyone would be short of food , and the only food available in that time would be meat ... do you think that vegetarians in that case would still refuse to eat meat because of idealistic reasons and die of hunger ? i dont think so .

Edited by DeLaLa, 22 July 2007 - 09:59 AM.

#45 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:22 AM

DeLaLa jan I know exactly what your saying. Do you think that Armenian businessman want more money because they have to compete with the Turkish ones? And also remember that capitalism is fairly new in Armenia, it hasn't completely changed the old soviet corruption mentality and the only way to change it if they practice. Plus if a seller thinks he can "ktsel" me I would certainly try to "ktsel" him. It's just simple Ար-եվ-տուր and Armenians are very good at it.

#46 DeLaLa

DeLaLa

The Dolminator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(Avo47 @ Jul 22 2007, 06:22 PM)
DeLaLa jan I know exactly what your saying. Do you think that Armenian businessman want more money because they have to compete with the Turkish ones? And also remember that capitalism is fairly new in Armenia, it hasn't completely changed the old soviet corruption mentality and the only way to change it if they practice. Plus if a seller thinks he can "ktsel" me I would certainly try to "ktsel" him. It's just simple Ար-եվ-տուր and Armenians are very good at it.

Avo , ok , lets say you have a market in LA and you order armenian cognac from yerevan ... you pay for lets say 1000 botlles but you only receive 672 bottles ... lets then say you open these cognac bottles to try the "good" cognac but you unfortunaly find out that the filling is not cognac BUT some weird water-piss mixture ... what would you do in such case?

another example for you Avo... the finance minister of armenia is looking for a businessmen in the diaspora who would supply the whole armenian airline staff of armenia with pilot and stewardess outfits . so the finance minister finds a diasporant businessman and the pact is made ... the clothes all arrive from the production , but this businessman never sees one single cent ever through his life ? Avo , what would you do in that case?

#47 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:06 PM

Dalala, lets say you're the businesswoman who got the order of 1000 cogniacs. Would you sent only 672 bottles and of poor quality? or would you sent 1010 bottles so the person buying it can drink your kenats. A smart business person will never cheat his customers, because if he did he loose them. Your view of Armenian business people as lying, cheating, corrupt etc... is really wrong. I'm not saying that all of them are saints but majority of them are honest people who want to make living and by cheating your customers you won't go too far.

#48 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(DeLaLa @ Jul 22 2007, 12:34 PM)
Avo , ok , lets say you have a market in LA and you order armenian cognac from yerevan ... you pay for lets say 1000 botlles but you only receive 672 bottles ... lets then say you open these cognac bottles to try the "good" cognac but you unfortunaly find out that the filling is not cognac BUT some weird water-piss mixture ... what would you do in such case?

Can you provide any evidences that this represent what is doing business with Armenia? If you have none you should stop with such speculations or similar craps. The last thing Armenia needs is such publicity.

Edited by Domino, 22 July 2007 - 07:17 PM.

#49 karnoug

karnoug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(DeLaLa @ Jul 22 2007, 10:58 AM)
Avonjan, yes you are in theory absolutely right , and i can fully understand your oppinion . what i basically wanted to point out is that there are also lots of armenian businessmen all over the world who have had very bad experience with working together with armenia and that you must count with the fact that lots of them just got fed up with having to deal with those headaches . so if the foodproducts come on time and money transfers are correct from turkish businessmen in comparison to a corrupt armenian businessman , then it should be logical that armenians prefer dealing with the more shnorkov . am i wrong? besides that i do believe that at first place it is more important to the armenian-supermarket owner to earn a lot of money , then thinking about boykotting things . look , avo , for example for comparison ...if there was war and everyone would be short of food , and the only food available in that time would be meat ... do you think that vegetarians in that case would still refuse to eat meat because of idealistic reasons and die of hunger ? i dont think so .

Actually, I wanted to point a mistake in your argument. The individual stores do not deal with the exporting country, therefore all they really do is go to the distributor and buy domestically. The distributor is the one who deals with the export/import process.

#50 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:27 PM

Thank you karnouq, I was saving that for my next post. How would an Armenian business person profit if he cheats the import/export distributor who buys not just for one store but for 100's. If he cheats the distributor he'll loose considerable amount of his profits, because no person in their right mind would order products from him anymore. Not only that but the word that he cheats people would spread so fast, that nobody would do business with him. Hence he'll go out of business... Just like Domino said if you don't have any proof you need to stop being so negative to your own kind.

Oh and I ate Dolma yesterday and the leaves were from Armenia... delicious

Edited by Avo47, 22 July 2007 - 10:32 PM.

#51 DeLaLa

DeLaLa

The Dolminator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:35 PM

here an interesting article from 2006 if anybody wants to read :

Turkish Food Ban Reflects Political Concerns in Armenia

Turkish food has remained popular in Armenia despite the hostile diplomatic relationship, but it has been banned ostensibly for health reasons.

By Arpi Harutiunyan in Yerevan (CRS No. 346, 30-June-06)

“Don’t buy Turkish sunflower seeds,” Nelly told her friend Armine as they stood in a shop in Yerevan. “I’ve heard they cause sterility.”

“Are you serious? “The Turkish ones are so tasty,” said Armine, still wavering. In the end, she reconsidered, “All right, give me two packs of Armenian seeds.”

Fears that Turkish food products could cause various illnesses and disorders have grown into a wave of hysteria in Armenia that seems to be as least politically driven as it is based on real health concerns.

Officially at least, the sale of Turkish foodstuffs has been illegal since May, when the Armenian trade and economic development ministry imposed what it said would be a temporary ban on certifying food products imported from Turkey.

Some Turkish-made grocery products can still be found in the shops and markets, but officials say they have either been smuggled into the country, or brought in legally as part of travellers’ normal duty-free allowance.

At a political level, the relationship between Armenia and Turkey is coldly hostile – their shared border is sealed and they have no diplomatic relations. Ankara cut off all ties with Armenia because of that country’s role in the Nagorny Karabakh conflict with Azerbaijan, with which the Turks enjoy a good relationship based on their common ethnic background.

Yet for the last 15 years, imported Turkish foodstuffs – transported via Georgia - have continued to account for a sizeable chunk of groceries sales in Armenia.

There seems to be little scientific reason to single Turkish foodstuffs out now, since many of the problems - variable standards and some cases of contamination - apply to domestic products and other imports.

Officials in Armenia deny they are singling out Turkish products. But government officials and consumers’ rights groups have mounted a concerted campaign culminating in the certification ban and calls for a boycott.

The state agency for state quality control concluded this year that some Turkish goods “violated consumers’ rights” and were at variance with Armenian law.

Trade ministry spokesperson Anahit Khechoian said the move to bar Turkish products was prompted mainly by customer complaints about “suspicious foodstuffs of unknown origin”. But the ministry has also offered another explanation – that the ban is to prevent the spread of the deadly bird flu virus.

A non-government organisation called Protection of Consumers’ Rights claimed to have found that five out of ten food imports they tested - nine from Turkey and one from Iran - contained harmful ingredients. In particular, the group said it discovered bacilli in some products and unacceptable levels of yeast in others.

Biochemist Anahit Davtyan says bacteria get into foodstuffs made in unhygienic conditions or stored at the wrong temperature, and can cause dysentery and other infectious diseases including typhoid.

Abgar Yeghoyan, the head of Protection of Consumers’ Rights, made dark hints that contamination could be introduced deliberately by Armenia’s enemies.

“Food safety is one element of national security,” he said. “Given the region we live in and the laws we have, there’s no guarantee we won’t be poisoned.”

The head of the trade ministry’s standards office, Robert Dayan, suggested that the gap left by “questionable” Turkish imports would be filled by “high-quality Armenian goods”.

Some consumer advocates, though, say Armenian-made products need closer inspection as well, since many lack proper labelling and have quality problems.

“We’ve been talking incessantly about the foodstuff safety problem, but the first thing we should worry about is the local produce,” said Armen Poghosyan, who leads the Consumers’ Association. “If I were to assess the extent to which food safety is guaranteed on the Armenian market, I’d say quite seriously that there are virtually no guarantees.”

In one recent incident in early in June, bottles of an Armenian brand of mineral water suddenly started exploding one after another in a Yerevan shop. Customers and sales staff rushed out of the shop to avoid the flying glass. In this case the problems was traced to faulty bottle manufacture.

Poghosyan’s association says that a study conducted in November 2005 found that 64 per cent of locally-produced food items lacked proper information about contents, nutritional value and expiry date.

Rather than deal with wider quality problems, officials may have found it simpler to blame Turkish imports because of underlying emotive issues about the country’s politics.

One indication of this was a recent scandal in which it was claimed that a brand of Turkish chocolate on sale in the shops was actually being made by a subsidiary based in Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan with which Armenia is still technically in a state of war.

To add insult to injury, an Armenian confectionary producer ran TV advertisements warning that the offending chocolate bars contained vegetable fats, rather than milk as stated on the label.

Arpi Harutiunyan is a reporter at Armenianow Weekly.

#52 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

ԵՍ ԻՄ ԱՆՈՒՇ ՀԱՅԱՍՏԱՆԻ ԱՐԵՒԱՀԱՄ ԾԻՐԱՆՆ ԵՄ ՍԻՐՈՒՄ

Posted Image

Never, never buy this, read the fine print before you do "product of furkey";
http://www.amazon.co...10101&s=grocery
What will be next? Rename the fruit “prunus osmaniaca”? Note that all those places mentioned are part of Historic Armenia.
I hate to do this, just we will see what is going on-

Turkey aims to set up global apricot council
Sunday, March 28, 2010
BETÃ`L Ã?AL
ANTALYA - Hürriyet Daily News
The supplier of 80 percent of the world's apricot production for an
annual revenue of more than $250 million, Turkey aims to establish a
World Apricot Council and an accreditation center to boost the
sector's credibility and awareness. The goal is to raise the value of
the product, according to sector players, who urge the government to
support investments in high-tech processing facilities
FRUIT: Cultivated mainly in various countries with a Mediterranean
climate, apricots flourish in the eastern Turkish city of Malatya due
to its rich soil and favorable weather conditions. Hürriyet photo
Turkey leads the world's fresh and dry apricot market with the highest
production figures in many years, but sector representatives say
revenue is lagging behind expectations due to a lack of credibility
and awareness.
Aiming to fortify its position in the market and create higher added
value, Turkey is seeking to establish and host a World Apricot Council
with the authority to set trends, boosting the country's prestige
abroad.
Apricots are cultivated mainly in various countries with a
Mediterranean climate; they flourish in the eastern Turkish city of
Malatya due to its rich soil and favorable weather conditions. In
2009, the city, which supplies around 80 percent of the world's
apricot production annually, obtained an export revenue of $276.2
million.
The amount of dry apricot processed by members of the Malatya Chamber
of Trade exceeded 200,000 tons in the same year for a value of 750
million Turkish Liras.
According to 2008 data from the Turkish Statistical Institute, or
TurkStat, Turkey produces 720,000 tons of apricot production on a
total area of 1 billion square meters. Its exports surpass those of
archrivals Spain, Italy, Iran, France and the United States.
Mehmet Å?ahin, the Malatya deputy from the ruling Justice and
Development Party, or AKP, said in a recent speech that the global
apricot market amounts to $2.5 billion per annum, adding that Turkey
should definitely grab a higher percentage of this pie.
In order to fulfill the sector aim of increasing annual apricot export
revenue to $1 billion in the near future, Å?ahin said, it is crucial to
take steps to raise the product's value internationally. The formation
of a global council, he added, is one of these steps.
Accreditation center in Malatya
Noting that Malatya's renowned apricot is not protected by laws or an
international accreditation center, sector authorities said the fruit
is undervalued.
İbrahim Bozkır, the owner of an apricot-exporting firm in Malatya,
said his company exports apricots at $2 to $3 per kilo, but retailers
abroad sell 200 to 300 grams for at least at $10.
This represents a loss of labor for the Turkish farmer and a loss of
currency and prestige for Turkey, Bozkır said, adding that it is
imperative to build a global apricot center in Turkey, with an
accreditation center in Malatya.
`It will give more professionalism and credibility to Turkey's apricot
sector,' he said.
The high sales prices of apricots in other countries is mainly
attributed to packaging expenditures. International importers tend to
buy raw apricot, either fresh or dry, process it in their facilities,
package it according to their own standards and sell it to consumers,
adding the cost of each stage to the final price.
Nejat BalmanoÄ?lu, an apricot exporter in Malatya, said Turkish
producers need high-technology apricot processing and packaging
centers.
`Fully processing this strategic product at home according to the
needs of the customer and exporting it in its final form abroad will
definitely give added value to Turkey,' he said. `As we send the raw
product abroad and let somebody else process it instead of us, we
actually are creating rivals. Also, when the intermediaries rise in
number, it directly reflects on the price.'
The government should support investments in modern facilities and
open up the path for producers and exporters, BalmanoÄ?lu said.

Edited by Arpa, 06 April 2010 - 08:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users