Iranyar: Batumi city first settled by Armenians or Georgians

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2000 - 05:10 PM

I heard arguments that Armenians founded and first lived there. But, some say it was Georgians and that Armenians had historically annexed southwestern parts of Georgia?

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2000 - 05:57 PM

Laz and Megrelian are related Kartvelian languages, Laz is still spoken in the villages of Batumi and in North east black coast of Turkey (although Turkey had tried to vanish the Laz language). In Ajaria, the region in which Batumi lays and the north of it Guria they Speak Georgian, south of it speak Laz and north East of Ajaria/Guria speak Megrelian also in Abxazia they speak Meglian, Abxaz is onley spoken in northern Abxazia.

Batumi sounds very Kartvelian , The ancestor language of Megrelian and Laz is called Zan. Maybe we should call it a Zanian city
But I can believe that the presence of the Armenians has been old in that city, it is one of the few natural ports of black see, and the merchant Armenians from Isttanbul or Egypt, could get by ship the easiest way from Batumi to the Armenian homeland.

Batoni in Georgian means Lord, gentleman. I don't know for sure maybe Batumi is Zan, or Laz variant of it , Lord town? maybe it was a feudal centre.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2000 - 07:56 AM

Batumi was part of ancient Colchis (the land of the Golden Fleece in the story of the Argonauts) and would have been founded by
neither Georgians or Armenians.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2000 - 08:15 AM

Kolchis in Greek is the designation of Kolxeti in Georgian, which means the Land of Kolxi's the Kolxi's were a South Caucasian, West Georgian tribe, the ancestors of the Megrelians in Georgia and Laz in anatolia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users