• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 H D

H D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

The next essay on "Radio Transmitting in a Snowstorm" titled "To Perceive the Words of Underst&ing" is one of the reasons every Armenian is now more than ever a "radio transmitting in a snowstorm", that is, the use of two different orthographies and the controversy surrounding the orthography of the post-Soviet Republic of Armenia. I make special reference to Khachatrian's "Orthography, State and Diaspora," which is a convenient repository of nearly all the specious reasons why the orthography was changed and why it cannot be restored.

In 1899, the Armenian responsible for the change in Mesropian orthography in 1922 wrote that Armenians were "an illiterate and unschooled" people, despite the fact that Mashdots in 406 gave Armenia letters so that they could "perceive the words of understanding."

In writing it I came to realize that Mashdots was not all that different from Manuk Abeghian, and the conclusions I come to might be startling to some.

http://radiotransmit...of-underst.html

#2 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Thank you HD for the excellent article by : Mary Allerton Kilbourne Matossian
I cannot find her biography and credentials to see who or what she is, except a list of her works.
Who is the author of this extensive article? You?
http://radiotransmittinginasnowstorm.blogspot.com/2013/01/to-perceive-words-of-underst.html
She invokes the name of that imposter Haroutiun Khachatryan.
See # 35 here to know who that imposter Haroutiun Khatchatryan is.
As a rule, he professing to be a plitical analyst has no business in linguistics. Political indeed!!
http://hyeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10100&st=20

PS. Please do not be discouraged as this my reply will probably be the one and only.

Illiterate? His father is ILLITERATE.

Edited by Arpa, 15 January 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#3 H D

H D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Thank you for reading it. Yes, I wrote the article after having thought about the issue for some time and after reading a little bit to verify the position which I had reached purely through the exertion of some logical thought. It was self-evident to me that the change had come in the Soviet era when Armenians had no say over their nation or themselves, and so like children could not be held responsible for what their parents, in this case, Lenin-babig and the others, commanded (or comm&ed) them. Matossian's book The Impact of Soviet Policies in Armenia verified these conclusions with direct historical testimony out of the pages of Pravda. I am not familiar with her outside of her books, and it appears that she is herself not Armenian, but married to an Armenian.

While I used excerpts from Matossian's book as examples, of Khachtrian I wanted to make an example. His article is slippery, incoherent, dishonest, ahistorical and lazy, and does more harm to that position than anything I could have written.

You might also like the article I wrote on Stepan Partamian which I posted a while ago in the 'Famous Armenians" section of this forum.

#4 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

I found the article well researched and written, the reader comes out with pretty much needed information in order to understand the subject. When I was a student learning in Western Armenian, it puzzled me at the time as to why we had so many similar sounding letters and yet our teachers did not talk about it either due to ignorance or some unknown policy. I think we should go back and learn it all over again but this time do it the way it was meant to sound no matter what the cost is and the best place to start this is of course the homeland.

#5 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the article HD, your blog makes for an engaging read.

A pertinent film on the subject recently made the rounds online:

Edited by Zartonk, 16 January 2013 - 01:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eastern armenian, western armenian, orthography, mesrop mashdots, manuk abeghian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users