#21 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Apr 8 2008, 12:41 AM)
In the mean time, all these companies are selling various boxes that allow you to stream movies from your PC to watch on your TV. I've had the D-link dsm-520 for a while until recently I switched to a full fledged dedicated home-theater pc (HTPC) that is connected directly to my tv. You can buy HTPCs but right now they are a lot of headache to set up correctly (especially with linux) and Vista has it's own pains. I'm sure Apple will continue to expand its AppleTV line of products (check it out if you haven't!).

That sounds cool! I'll wait for now, but it's something to keep in mind for later.

#22 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Apr 8 2008, 01:03 AM)
There are at least 4 ways to watch downloaded movies:

1. On your PC using the PC screen.
2. On your TV using your PC. There are various ways to connect the PC to the TV.
3. On your TV using a media player that streams the movies from your PC on your home network (could be wireless). This is what the Dlink dsm-520 does for example and also you can do it with PS3, Xbox, etc.
4. Using a portable media player that stores your movies and connecting it to your PC. This is equivalent to what you do with an ipod ... you put the music on it and you can connect the ipod to your home stereo system. With the portable media player, you put the movie on it and connect it to whatever tv you want to watch it on (I have had a 100GB Archos AV500 for a couple years now which I use for watching things in the car or in flights).

Can I hire you to come set this stuff up for me? smile.gif

#23 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:10 PM

Yah these things are undoubtedly going to get cheaper and cheaper ... I wouldn't be surprised if some companies start even giving the equipment out for free (such as how satellite and cable companies do it) in order to make money on the rentals later.

Unfortunately though, things are going to get a lot more confusing as the roughly 10 choices now will turn into 100s of choices before things start to settle down biggrin.gif .. at least with blu-ray there is a "winner".

#24 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (nairi @ Apr 7 2008, 06:08 PM)
Can I hire you to come set this stuff up for me? smile.gif

I'd do it for free! Ok I lie ... a trip to the buffet should cover it tongue.gif ... but I kid you not I spent a solid 3 week period working 8 hours a night until I got my HTPC working the way I want it. I definitely would not recommend such a project (setting up a home-theater PC from scratch with linux) to anyone who doesn't know what they are doing with PCs. So on that front, PC's still have a ways to go for the regular users.

But now I can do a bunch of really cool stuff with it like turn things on and off at home from anywhere (like from work), have it constantly download things while I can get in from anywhere with an internet connection and see what's going on, add more things to the download list etc, and of course the added ability to be able to surf on the internet on my 42" LCD TV in addition to just watching movies which was the original intent for this.

Edited by Sip, 07 April 2008 - 05:17 PM.

#25 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

Oh and right now, as I type this on my laptop, the htpc is playing yerevannights internet radio on my home sound system smile.gif

#26 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

That's just sick, and I mean it in a good way.

#27 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

I don't have any experience with htpc..., but Sip, this is basically what I want to do, preferably on a Linux (I don't want to pay for the OS of a computer which aim will be to connect on a TV and soundsystem)

One program which take WMP standards, Real standards, .mov of Quicktime etc. I want to be able to open that computer which will automatically open me a page with menues of what I want to do (This I know how to do), then I choose TV channels and can from then on choose channels I have selected from sites I have previously selected. I want a pocess which will individually make them full screen etc.

Is this the sort of stuff you did with your computer? What player did you choose?

#28 Dynaman

Dynaman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Shooting, Electronics Engineering, Koi Collecting, Welding, and especially playing music. Rock guitarist 30 yrs. + now. Ouch!

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

Nairi:

HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface

Blue Ray has a definition of 1080p .. That's 1080 lines of resolution, with a progressive scan technique. This allows for a picture that does don't jitter or flash as much when your eye moves across the screen. A BR payer will downconvert to 720 if need be, but there is no going back in my opinion. When HD2 comes out in a few years, you will double the 1080 res.

I suggest getting a HDTV with a 1080P spec., HDMI inputs, and optical outputs. Stay with LCD and not plasma... there are issues with plasma.

Also to do this right, get an A/V receiver and use a 5.1 speaker set up. It is the only way to watch movies nowadays, otherwise you will be missing a lot.

If you need more help let me know, or email me directly.

Aram
biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users