Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

PRESIDENT BUSH SIGNS AID BILL ALLOCATING $58.5 MILLION TO ARMENIA

President Bush signed the fiscal year (FY) 2008 overall appropriations package this week, known as the omnibus bill, which included $58.5 million in economic assistance for Armenia and maintained Armenia and Azerbaijan military aid parity, reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA).

The Armenia economic aid figures are $17.5 million less than the FY 2007 figures but represent a clear increase over the Administration's request of $35 million. Congress also approved $3 million in foreign military financing (FMF) assistance to Armenia and Azerbaijan, reversing the Administration's latest bid to retreat from its 2001 pledge to maintain parity in military aid to Armenia and Azerbaijan.

"We are troubled by the reductions in aid to Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh, particularly in light on the ongoing economic costs of the Turkish and Azerbaijani blockades, as well as Baku's increasingly violent rhetoric about restarting its war against the Armenians," said ANCA Executive Director Aram Hamparian. "We thank all of our friends in the Congressional appropriations process who, working against significant competing budgetary pressures were able to deliver figures higher than the President's request, and also to maintain military aid parity."

In addition to the Armenia allocation, the omnibus aid bill also includes $50.5 million for Georgia and $19 million for Azerbaijan. Millennium Challenge Account funding is set for $1.5 billion, half of President Bush's request.

The final compromise aid legislation does not stipulate a specific amount of aid to Karabakh, urging the State Department to be guided instead by the individual Senate and House recommendations adopted earlier this year, one of which did allocate $6 million in aid to Karabakh.

On June 12th, the House Appropriations Committee adopted its version of the FY08 foreign aid bill, allocating $68 million for Armenia, $6 million in direct assistance to Nagorno Karabakh, and maintaining parity in the levels of U.S. military aid to Armenia and Azerbaijan.

The Senate version, adopted by the Appropriations Committee on June 28th, called for only $39 million in aid to Armenia, $4 million above the President's request, but considerably less than the previous year's appropriation. Although the Senate called for direct assistance to Nagorno Karabakh, it did not set a specific dollar amount. In addition, the Senate did not address the issue of military aid parity.

Other specific measures of interest in the omnibus bill include a recommendation for funding of an Armenian Youth Federation (AYF) exchange program with Armenia; Monmouth University sponsored professional exchanges with Armenia, as well as activities of the University of California, affiliated with the American University of Armenia. Appropriations Committee member, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) announced last week, his efforts in support of an allocation of $47,000 for an after-school tutoring program sponsored by the Glendale "Ararat" Chapter of Homenetmen.

#2 Balaclava

Balaclava

julik jurnalist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (Ashot @ Dec 30 2007, 06:53 PM)
[size=3]Congress also approved $3 million in foreign military financing (FMF) assistance to Armenia and Azerbaijan, reversing the Administration's latest bid to retreat from its 2001 pledge to maintain parity in military aid to Armenia and Azerbaijan.

I was hoping to see them support FMF. Damn it!

#3 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (Balaclava @ Dec 30 2007, 09:06 PM)
I was hoping to see them support FMF. Damn it!

Hakop ushadir karda
Congress also approved $3 million in foreign military financing (FMF)

#4 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

The Armenia Fund provides Martakert with long- awaited water

On December 21, 2007 The Armenia Fund executive director Vahe Aghabegians and deputy director Ararat Khlghatyan attended the opening ceremony of the Martakert water main, the key project of the Fund in Karabakh for the last 18 months. Karabakh President Bako Sahakyan, Prime Minister Ara Harutyunyan attended the ceremony.

“I feel proud witnessing today how excited the whole city of Martakert is in seeing the water flow right into their city. With the availability of this vitally important infrastructure, no doubt, life will change radically for the better. Providing conditions for a decent life in a bordering location is twice as important today,” said Vahe Aghabegians. “This truly impressive project is yet another demonstration of the huge potential of the Armenians living in homeland and the Diaspora, the immense capacity, which results in deliveries of much-needed infrastructure such as roads and highways, water and gas lines,” he added.

Martakert region suffered most terribly during the Karabakh conflict: the quality of the spring water used by local households was way below the standard required, and thestreams used for irrigation water were left on the other side of the border. Lack of water became a problem number one and required a fundamental long-term solution.

“A regular supply of freshwater in the region was so essential,” commented Sergei Ohanyan, head of the Karabakh administration. “Now, when we at last have what was so crucial to the whole region, we can think about the next natural steps that will help push the country to greater changes and success.”

The water pipeline will provide drinking water to more than 7000 people in the region and adjacent villages. According to initial estimation, the quantity of water is more than enough and can also be used for irrigation purposes.

The Martakert water main construction with the total cost of AMD1bln (US$ 3,3M) was implemented with the funds raised at the Telethon 2005. The construction of the 30km water main was implemented in two stages. The first stage of the project resulted in the first 13 km of the main; shortly afterwards, the construction of the last 17 km was completed.

#5 Balaclava

Balaclava

julik jurnalist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (Ashot @ Dec 31 2007, 08:30 AM)
Hakop ushadir karda
Congress also approved $3 million in foreign military financing (FMF)

FMF is largely known as something else... a genetic disorder...

#6 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Balaclava @ Jan 2 2008, 08:43 PM)
FMF is largely known as something else... a genetic disorder...

Hakop, please don't spam the forum.

#7 Balaclava

Balaclava

julik jurnalist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jan 2 2008, 09:49 PM)
Hakop, please don't spam the forum.

Anush jan, hayeren kase?s, ban chhaskaca asatsicd.

#8 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (Balaclava @ Jan 2 2008, 10:54 PM)
Anush jan, hayeren kase?s, ban chhaskaca asatsicd.

Hakop, I'm serious. If you have any questions PM me. Meanwhile, keep in mind that this forum is a very well organized forum (and thus well respected) and generally members know that they shouldn't drift from the topic discussed. If you haven't already read, here is the link to our Code of Conduct http://hyeforum.com/...?showtopic=8347

#9 Balaclava

Balaclava

julik jurnalist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jan 2 2008, 11:04 PM)
Hakop, I'm serious. If you have any questions PM me. Meanwhile, keep in mind that this forum is a very well organized forum (and thus well respected) and generally members know that they shouldn't drift from the topic discussed. If you haven't already read, here is the link to our Code of Conduct http://hyeforum.com/...?showtopic=8347

I am serious too. And I did not change the subject. Like you said, this is a discussion forum, therefore I said my honest opinion, that is while we give away our Tax money on foreign military finance (fmf), why do not we spend the money on Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF), which is a genetic disorder and which, by the way, we Armenians, or at least many Armenians carry in our genetics. So far there is only couple of drugs, one of which is Cochicine. Now, just fancy, we spend a lot of money to kill each other, but we don't spend money to find out a cure for this painful....Disorder?

If you don't want me to touch large spectrum of discussion, which--that is, touching large spectrum of topics--I, along with many others, think is the entire meaning of discussion, then fine, let me know and I will hush.

And as a suggestion, please don't take this personally, whoever made the code of conduc has absolutely no clue about the meaning of forum. I assume it was an 21 year old college student who made that code, and not some man who has seen life. Thus I strongly suggest you to revise that code, because it's unfirm and I disaccept. Should you agree with me, then please reply to me at any time.

And lastly, should anybody be interested in talking to me about FMF, do let me know!

#10 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (Balaclava @ Jan 2 2008, 11:35 PM)
If you don't want me to touch large spectrum of discussion, which--that is, touching large spectrum of topics--I, along with many others, think is the entire meaning of discussion, then fine, let me know and I will hush.

You're free to discuss anything, but open a new thread.

#11 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:58 AM

And as a suggestion, please don't take this personally, whoever made the code of conduc has absolutely no clue about the meaning of forum. I assume it was an 21 year old college student who made that code, and not some man who has seen life. Thus I strongly suggest you to revise that code, because it's unfirm and I disaccept. Should you agree with me, then please reply to me at any time.

And lastly, should anybody be interested in talking to me about FMF, do let me know!

you could assume that but you would be wrong. The code of conduct was written by a group of present and past members. many who hold Master degrees from ivy league schools and who are very successful in life. but we also took into consideration opinions of everyone.

In general its the C of C of this forum why the forum has not gone in the same direction as most out there. If people are looking to chit chat all day long they can either do it in the chit chat section or on any one of the many other forums on the net.

I strongly urge you and all other members of this forum to think twice before hitting the reply button(this includes me as well as I too want to participate and have fun). Lets keep the forum clean and professional. We done each have to reply to every single thread that gets opened.

#12 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,253 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:00 AM

I am serious too. And I did not change the subject. Like you said, this is a discussion forum, therefore I said my honest opinion, that is while we give away our Tax money on foreign military finance (fmf), why do not we spend the money on Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF), which is a genetic disorder and which, by the way, we Armenians, or at least many Armenians carry in our genetics. So far there is only couple of drugs, one of which is Cochicine. Now, just fancy, we spend a lot of money to kill each other, but we don't spend money to find out a cure for this painful....Disorder?

ho du Garbachovi pezidntutyan jamanak ches tsnvel?? qez mot q@nnnnnadatutyutyan stovorutyun ka, bayst gites ich dzev, en sovety artadrats magnitafoni n@mn, hents m qich djvarutyna galis mi angamis revrsa num, arnst hshvelu te petq a revrs anel te che, yer@ prtsela te che, et yerg@ ov e lsum, inch yerg e, ov er yergum, te et yergi hamar ova charcharvel.. che etpes es uzzum etpesa petq qez anum es arants yerkar barak mtatselu, grum es grats linelu hamar ?

du arden yerkrod angamna forumin es k@pnum kam te inchpe e forum@ ashxatum, isk du inq@t inch es arel forumi hamar ? mi d@rrakan nerdrum katarel es forumum es mi amsits avela estegh es mot 40 or te chem sxalvum ??

#13 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:39 PM

7th shift of Armenian peacekeepes to leave for Iraq in mid-January
[attachment=2756:Armenian...ekeepers.bmp]
ArmRadio.am

The seventh shift of Armenian peacekeepers will leave for Iraq in mid-January of 2008. Armenpress was told from the Peacekeeping Division of RA Armed Forces that after the New Year it will become clear when the 6th shift will return to Armenia. Let us remind that the division consisits of 46 servicemen.

Recently the National Assembly of Armenia recently adopted the decision to extend the term of the memorandum of understanding onManagement of the multinational division within stabilization forces in Iraq and regulation of similar issues” for one year. Therefore, Armenian peacekeepers will carry out mission in Iraq until January 2009.

#14 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

Message of His Holiness Karekin II on the Feast of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of our Lord Jesus Christ
[attachment=2758:180px_Karekin.jpg]

In the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

“In this the love of God was made manifest among us,
that God sent His only begotten Son into the world,
so that we might live through Him.” 1 John 4:9

Dearly Beloved Faithful,

Our souls are enveloped once again with the all-renewing ineffable mystery of the Holy Nativity and Theophany of our Lord Jesus Christ. And today, we along with all who await the Savior, rush toward the manger, to be joined in faith in the humble cave of Bethlehem with the joyous shepherds and wise magi bringing gifts to the Savior of the world; to bow down before the infant, to see the light of God’s mercy descending to the earth, and praise the Holy Birth of the Son of God with the angels, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men”. It is the Son of God, the only begotten of the Father, who has come to the world as love manifested. He conquered the world with infinite love, changed the course of history, and granted mankind distanced from God the grace of salvation and eternal life – grace to return to God. “In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent His only begotten Son into the world, so that we might live through Him.” (1 John 4:9)

The Holy Nativity and Theophany of our Savior has been proclaimed for two millennia through the sacrifices of the martyrs, the lives of the saints, the genuine faith of innumerable souls, and through virtuous deeds. The Gospel of hope that gives life is preached to renew the lives of men and women through philanthropic values, and by cultivating the paths of peace, justice and human rights. The recognition and understanding of Christianity through the living presence of God have born plans of transforming societal life and brought forth a world outlook and culture of valuing human life, called to serve the welfare of the world and the happiness of mankind.

However, the spheres of the life of humankind have not always been bountiful with the belief in the presence of God. Alongside the beneficial golden stalks of the harvest, we see the damaging growth of weeds. The world today resembles Bethlehem where the wise and the humble worship the newborn Christ Jesus, believing in the saving grace He gifts to us. But the world also resembles the other Bethlehem – the one which denied shelter to the Savior, where exist Herods who crave power and massacre children, Judases who betray innocents to death for thirty pieces of silver, Pilates who wash their hands in the face of injustice, and manifold modern day crucifixions – wars, terrorism, falsehoods, need and helplessness. As long as we continue in paths such as these which distance us from God, the world shall always feel the need for peace and justice, the want of kindness, humility, mercy and compassion.

Indeed dear ones, this is not the Will of God, this is not the calling of the world and man. God’s gift is the life renewed by Christ. God’s gift is the love revealed by Christ, which through the great and miraculous Holy Birth of our Lord and Savior has connected the four corners of the world today under a brilliant and glorious rainbow. And the star of Bethlehem which disperses the darkness, shines above the crises, intrigues and lawlessness of the world, and gleams hope with love from heaven to renew the souls of mankind with the invitation of the creation of a new life: “…and on earth peace, good will toward men”.

With this sacred mystery of the Holy Nativity, it is the greatest commandment of love which is conveyed to the world, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another”, says the Lord, “even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.” (John 13:34). There is no greater power which transforms the life of man, nations and societies than love, which “is not jealous or boastful, is not arrogant or rude…does not insist on its own way, does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right, …it bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things” (1 Corinthians 13:4-7). This is how that world shall be born, where peace and justice reign, where good and goodness are fruitful with brotherly love, solidarity among peoples, and cooperation among states. Truly, human efforts to transform life shall not be in vain with true love and the belief of the presence of God in the world. The path of the Lord is always the path of new life, always toward the better, toward the perfect, which shall become reality through man’s works of faith, and the mercy and blessings of God.

Dearly pious sons and daughters,
On this joyful day of the Holy Nativity and Theophany, we offer thanks to the Lord, Who has granted His grace of salvation to our people as well, blessed our lives with the light of hope, faith and love and the spirit of creation. Relying on the Savior, it is with His commandment of love that our forefathers in the homeland and the dispersion were able to withstand the tribulations of centuries, struggled to keep their individual identity and heritage, and once again build a new and vibrant life. The spirit of love towards one another has turned into care, attentiveness, effort, devotion and heroism within Armenian life dispersed around the globe. With that spirit today within the free shores of Armenia and Artsakh, and on the horizons of the renaissance of Armenian spiritual and national life throughout the world, the hopes and prayers of our forebears and the faith of our people are manifesting themselves as works of patriotism and love of Church – as good fruits of our lives. It is with that same spirit that we shall continue to live today as well, to triumph over the imperatives facing us, to defend the values of liberty, justice, human rights, philanthropy and honesty, though which the God-loving soul of our people shall continue to be cared for; through which our life in the homeland and the Diaspora shall be strengthened. Therefore, dear ones, let us advance with the unflinching faith of a pilgrim and always work in unison and with one will under God’s blessing, for it is truly said that through division the great become small, yet through unity the small become great.

It is with the great tiding of the Holy Nativity of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ that we greet you once again, our dear faithful, and bless all of you. We extend our greetings of fraternal love in Christ to the incumbents of the hierarchal sees of our Apostolic Holy Church: His Holiness Aram I, Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia; His Beatitude Archbishop Torkom Manoogian, Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem; His Beatitude Archbishop Mesrob Mutafian, Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople; and all of the oath-bound clergy of our Church.

We extend our pontifical blessings and greetings to the President of the Republic of Armenia, Robert Kocharian; the President of the Republic of Nagorno Karabakh, Bako Sahakian; to all Armenian state officials, and to the leaders and representatives of diplomatic missions accredited to Armenia.

Let us pray together that the heavenly graces and gifts of love of the Savior’s Holy Nativity and Theophany increase in the world, leading all of humanity to the desired paths of goodness, justice and reconciliation.

From this holy altar of the descent of the only begotten, with prayers and appeals for the blessings of the Savior, we once again convey the renewing tiding of the Holy Nativity from the Mother See of all Armenians:

Christ is Born and Revealed
Great Tidings to you and us.

#15 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

OSCE CiO Ilkka Kanerva plans to visit Armenia
[attachment=2776:Ilkka.bmp]

Assuming the presidency of the OSCE on January 1st, 2008 OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Foreign Minister of Finland Ilkka Kanerva described the structure as a “unique forum between 56 participating states, the strength of which is the solidarity in decision-making.” According to Mr. Kanerva, the OSCE will continue the activity in the direction of prevention of conflicts, crisis management and post-conflict rehabilitation.

Spokesman for RA Ministry of Foreign Affairs Vladimir Karapetyan told Armenpress that the OSCE Chairman-in-Office plans to visit Armenia in the first quarter of the current year.

#16 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

EXHIBITION TO FEATURE WESTERN ARMENIA
[attachment=2777:exibit_west_armeni.jpg]

YEREVAN, JANUARY 7: The Armenian culture ministry and the Shushi Foundation will hold in spring a display of 250 photographs that will be called “Western Armenia (now in eastern Turkey) is the Homeland of Armenians.”
Bakur Karapetian, the chairman of the Shushi Foundation, said to Armenpress the photographs will show the culture of Western Armenia, its monuments, traditions of people, their crafts and traditions between 1860-1915. The exhibition will also show the map of six Armenian provinces in Western Armenia.

#17 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:38 PM

ALL ROADS OPEN FOR TRAFFIC
[attachment=2778:Chanaparh_7.jpg]

YEREVAN, JANUARY 7: Armenian transport and communications ministry said despite a heavy snowfall across the country all roads are open for traffic, even the road stretching along the Selim mountain pass.
It said the highway between Goris and Lachin and some sections of the road between Goris and Kapan are icy.

#18 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

GOVERNMENT TO REPAIR BRIDGES, ROADS IN YEREVAN

A deputy Yerevan mayor, Vano Vardanian, said today the government will release funds this year to reinforce 9 residential blocks in 5 districts of the city which are graded as third-grade wrecking buildings.
The deputy mayor said also some 70 million Drams will be spent on repair of 16 bridges in Yerevan. Besides, funds will be released for repair of city roads and dismantling of tram railways in two streets.
The deputy mayor said 82 million Drams will be released for repair of stairways of Matenadaran book depository.
He said only 15 high-rise apartment blocks in Yerevan have centralized heating currently.

#19 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

Oleg Bliznyuk resigns from the position of the General Director of "ArmenTel"
[attachment=2792:Oleg_20Bliznuk_201.jpg]

“VimpelCom” confirmed today the information, according to which Oleg Bliznyuk made a decision to leave the position of the General Director of the Armenian “ArmenTel” Telecommunications Company.

Commenting on the request of Mediamax on the information about Oleg Bliznyuk’s resignation from the position of the General Director of “ArmenTel,” the Senior Manager of “VimpelCom” Public Relations Service Artem Minaev stated:

“Oleg Bliznyuk really made a decision on December 29 of 2007 to leave “ArmenTel,” since he received an interesting proposal from another company. Under Oleg’s guidance, our business in Armenia developed quite dynamically. First of all, we are please by our financial results. Besides, a large volume of work was carried out on renovation and replacement of equipment and development of infrastructure, which will allow the networks of “ArmenTel” later on corresponding to the most modern standards. “ArmenTel” is now searching a candidate for the position of the General Director”.

#20 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:21 PM

2007 saw no progress in Armenian-Turkish relations

According to RA Foreign Minister Vartan Oskanian’s assessment, no essential progress was registered in the Armenia-Turkey relations in 2007, mainly due to the Turkish policy towards Armenia.

Mr. Oskanian told a press conference today that Turkey continues to associate the improvement of Armenian-Turkish relations with preconditions (refusal from the international recognition of the Armenian Genocide, recognition of the territorial integrity of Turkey, settlement of et h Nagorno Karabakh conflict, etc.), while Armenia stands for establishment of relations with Turkey without preconditions.

The Minister noted that Armenia has been repeatedly stating about its willingness to negotiate the problems existing between the two countries and find the ways of their solution instead of turning these into preconditions or obstacles.

Mr. Oskanian noted that Azerbaijan and Turkey continue preventing Armenia’s full involvement in regional cooperation programs. Simultaneously, he emphasized the importance of normalizing the relations with Turkey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users