My mother’s mother’s mother: Tekirdagh aka Rhaedestus/Rodosto

huh.gif

#62 Aubépine

Aubépine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:56 AM

I'm familiar with all of these places except Haini. Where exactly is it situated?

#63 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

Haini is known as Hani now, and today is part of the Diyarbakir province. It is situationed north and a bit east of Diyarbakir (Dikranagerd). If you've heard of a village called Liçe, it's just west of it.

OK, here goes a map:

#64 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

By the way, there is a book in Armenian on Haini, the only that I know of, though not comprehensive by any means. It doesn't have, for example, any info or pics of my family. The book is mostly oriented towards the Protestant/Evangelical Armenians of Haini... But still an interesting read (I own it). I saw pics of Haini for the first time in my life (after looooong searches) a couple of months ago. Until then I had been searching for Haini and didn't get much, but then I looked up Hani, and was directed to the municipality page. It's a small town now. The page is in Turkish so I can't understand most of the stuff on there.

#65 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:45 PM

I had a few ancestors from Sassoun, Birejik, and Urfa from my mothers side, and from Yozghat and Urfa from my fathers side.

One of my ancestors, a young boy in 1915, was disguised as a girl by his parents, so that he wouldn't be butchered by the soldiers. I don't know any more details..

The one from Sassoun, a woman, helped the young Armenians during defense of Sassoun by preparing food, etc.

They all ended up in Lebanon. My grandfather was involved in the conflict between Armenians if the 1950s, and my father was involved in the defence of Bourj Hammoud (in an area called "Sis", also the name of the capital of Giligia), like many others who lived during the period of the Lebanese Civil War.

I was also born in Lebanon, but we came to Laval (near Montreal, in Canada's province of Quebec) when I was 5-6 years old.

#66 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:57 AM

My dad's family is from Aintab.

My mom's side is from Afyongarahisar (sp?) and Nighdegh (sp?).

#67 DannyB

DannyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Family History, Roots, Culture

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (Sassun @ Jul 6 2006, 10:36 AM)
By the way, there is a book in Armenian on Haini, the only that I know of, though not comprehensive by any means. It doesn't have, for example, any info or pics of my family. The book is mostly oriented towards the Protestant/Evangelical Armenians of Haini... But still an interesting read (I own it). I saw pics of Haini for the first time in my life (after looooong searches) a couple of months ago. Until then I had been searching for Haini and didn't get much, but then I looked up Hani, and was directed to the municipality page. It's a small town now. The page is in Turkish so I can't understand most of the stuff on there.

I'm DannyB and have a copy of the Haini book, my grandparents are from Haini. I can't read Armenian, and so I can't read the book! I've gotten about 20 pages translated, including the table of contents. But I would like to know more about it. Do you know of an English translation? Would you be willing?

#68 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:07 AM

Bara-las Boghos, Bari-louys, Bari Or .
Bom dia, Buenos dias, Bon Giorno, Bon Jour, Good Day, Dobry den, Sabah oul Kheir
Good to see you. Long time no see.
Wait till you see this.
No. 46 by Arpa;
And I am sure you know that another name of Marash is Germanik, from the Roman colony of Germanica.
----
No. 49 by Boghos;
I knew of Kermanig, just didn´t know its Roman origin. Ataturkians renamed it Kahramanmarash, heroic Marash...the only thing left is the ice cream...all the rest a disaster...nothing unexpected…

From the book Marash;
It is recorded that of many villages and towns surrounding Marash, those to the north and west (Zeytoun, Frnouz etc.) were majority, or exclusively Armenian, some in the east were majority furkish. Here is the coup de grace. After the Big G the name was officially amended to “kahraman” Marash, assuming that it is an Arabic word to mean “heroic, victorious”. It is none other than a corruption of “Kermanik/Germanica”, kerman/kahraman?.
--
And to our Aintabtsi friend from Aleppo, the present day name of the home of his ancestors (gazi) Aintab. “ghazi/غا.ی” is an Arabic word that means “warrior” in particular a “warrior against ’infidels’ ”**, like a “crusader“?.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The term Ghazi (Arabic: غازى‎) may refer to:
Ghazi warriors who fought for Islam..

To see more about the meaning of “infidel”, see the following thread.
http://hyeforum.com/...c=1554&hl=gavur
Adeste Fideles. Gather all you believers, Oh Come all ye Faithful.?
The name of the almost “past dictator” of Cuba is Fidel, ostensibly meaning loyal/faithful. Also the most common name given to our canine “best friends” is FIDO. http://embears.com/images/fido.jpg
Do tell us, who is an “fidel” and who the “infidel”

Edited by ArpA, 18 July 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#69 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

Dear Arpa, Good to see you too!
Was recently at Abril Bookstore in Glendale. Mr. Yeretzian has a copy of the reprint of the famous Marash book. I have one of the originals inherited from my grandfather...Copy asking price is $240.

Edited by Boghos, 18 July 2009 - 09:55 PM.

#70 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Boghos @ Jul 19 2009, 04:54 AM)
Was recently at Abril Bookstore in Glendale. Mr. Yeretzian has a copy of the reprint of the famous Marash book. I have one of the originals inherited from my grandfather...Copy asking price is $240.

$240? Wow!!
I tried to find out what the original price in 1934 was, it is not listed. At the end of the book there is a list of "subscribers" ( I used "", since I don't quite understand the actual meaning. Assuming that the list being printed in the book, they should have "promised" to either purchase (some more than one copy as gifts to their friends and relatives) they would have done it ahead of the actual printing.
Some of the names I have known about, even some I have personally known, specially those from Aleppo, Boston and Troy-Albany.
My copy is showing signs of wear and tear as I have been using it more and more of late, I had to even try and reinforce the jacket and the spine.
Speaking of $240, it sounds like someone is treating it as a rare antique.
My brother has a copy of it too, we have inherited them from our respective parents and aunts.
Reminds me of the time, a decade or 2 ago I bought the Armenian Encyclopedia from a Glendale bookstore for $500 (used, as I can see some markings, highlights and comments at the margins, It is relatively in good shape though. Then, in Yerevan, at the Vernisage I saw a few of them, brand new in the original box, asking about $60, which one could haggle with. That was more tan 10 years ago. I wonder what they re asking for it now. I must tell this very emotional story. At the Vernisage I spotted Ajarian's Armtakan Bararan (Etymological Dictionary) that I had dreamed of having for so long. It is 4 volumes 700 pages each, hard covered. At the time, in America, any (trashy) book of the same size and construction would be selling for over $60, the vendor asked $20 for all 4 volumes. Silly me. Just for fun I bargained and had him come down to $15. It turned out two of the volumes were te same, he sent his son wherever to bring the missing volume, I gave him $5 as a good will gesture, and promised to come back. After a while I returned, the set was complete. I gave him a $20 bill (of course in those days the USD =over 500 drams, $20=10,000 dram), he reached in his pocket to give me the change, that is when I could not contain my emotion, I still cry every time I think about it.I could not even speak, all I could do was to embrace him and kiss him saying- "No, you silly, keep the change, I was bargaining with you just for fun".
During my last visit I tried to see if anyone was still selling them and how much they were asking, I saw none.

#71 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (ArpA @ Jul 19 2009, 12:23 PM)
$240? Wow!!
I tried to find out what the original price in 1934 was, it is not listed. At the end of the book there is a list of "subscribers" ( I used "", since I don't quite understand the actual meaning. Assuming that the list being printed in the book, they should have "promised" to either purchase (some more than one copy as gifts to their friends and relatives) they would have done it ahead of the actual printing.
Some of the names I have known about, even some I have personally known, specially those from Aleppo, Boston and Troy-Albany.
My copy is showing signs of wear and tear as I have been using it more and more of late, I had to even try and reinforce the jacket and the spine.
Speaking of $240, it sounds like someone is treating it as a rare antique.
My brother has a copy of it too, we have inherited them from our respective parents and aunts.
Reminds me of the time, a decade or 2 ago I bought the Armenian Encyclopedia from a Glendale bookstore for $500 (used, as I can see some markings, highlights and comments at the margins, It is relatively in good shape though. Then, in Yerevan, at the Vernisage I saw a few of them, brand new in the original box, asking about $60, which one could haggle with. That was more tan 10 years ago. I wonder what they re asking for it now. I must tell this very emotional story. At the Vernisage I spotted Ajarian's Armtakan Bararan (Etymological Dictionary) that I had dreamed of having for so long. It is 4 volumes 700 pages each, hard covered. At the time, in America, any (trashy) book of the same size and construction would be selling for over $60, the vendor asked $20 for all 4 volumes. Silly me. Just for fun I bargained and had him come down to $15. It turned out two of the volumes were te same, he sent his son wherever to bring the missing volume, I gave him $5 as a good will gesture, and promised to come back. After a while I returned, the set was complete. I gave him a $20 bill (of course in those days the USD =over 500 drams, $20=10,000 dram), he reached in his pocket to give me the change, that is when I could not contain my emotion, I still cry every time I think about it.I could not even speak, all I could do was to embrace him and kiss him saying- "No, you silly, keep the change, I was bargaining with you just for fun".
During my last visit I tried to see if anyone was still selling them and how much they were asking, I saw none.

Yes, dear Arpa, there are so many of us like that and unfortunately the bad apples seem to get most of the press. Mr. Apricot for example is a very quiet example of extreme generosity...anyway...
Now, $240 is for the copy of the original a very well done facsimile. Yeretzian tells me that the real thing goes for $400 or so. He didn't have the Lions of Marash which is an interesting book as well. I suspect that the otginal price, adjusted for inflation, was much higher than it costs today, which is not so unusual.
It is funny that people make fun of Marashtsis but I haven't seen anything close to the quality of that book about any other city in Giligia or anywhere else in Armenia for that matter.So, Arpa jan, I think you never wrote about that: what about the Armenians in N. New York?

Edited by Boghos, 19 July 2009 - 11:25 AM.

#72 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,249 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Boghos @ Jul 18 2009, 08:54 PM)

and you did not stop by to say hello sad.gif

#73 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

Dearest Movses, When I posted it I realized the mistake I had made but I was with the kids and the wife and we were there for just a few hours. It was a very small part of a very long trip from San Diego to San Francisco. I am really sorry.

Edited by Boghos, 20 July 2009 - 01:43 PM.

#74 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Boghos @ Jul 19 2009, 06:24 PM)
Yes, dear Arpa, there are so many of us like that and unfortunately the bad apples seem to get most of the press. Mr. Apricot for example is a very quiet example of extreme generosity...anyway...
---
It is funny that people make fun of Marashtsis but I haven't seen anything close to the quality of that book about any other city in Giligia or anywhere else in Armenia for that matter.So, Arpa jan, I think you never wrote about that: what about the Armenians in N. New York?

Yes indeed Dear Boghos, I have never seen any other book so complete in History, ancient and modern, including the Mets Yeghern, geography, biographies, customs, language dialects… and more
Lions of Marash"";, I have a copy. It not only refers to the REAL LIONS of Marash but also to those Hittite Sculptures of Lions, now in the British Museum..
http://penelope.uchi...plates*/13B.jpg
See availability;
http://www.almainc.o...i...er=6&page=5
Yes, I will write about “üppa you ass/Upper US” I.e Upstate New York , Troy Albany association, but first about San Paolo/ San-bllo.
I will move the rest under a proper Thread. Watch for MHM, Marashi Hayrenaktsakan Mioutyun

Edited by ArpA, 20 July 2009 - 11:44 AM.

#75 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:44 PM

Deal.

#76 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,249 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (Boghos @ Jul 20 2009, 10:37 AM)
Dearest Movses, When I posted it I realized the mistake I had made but I was with the kids and the wife and we were there for just a few hours. It was a very small part of a very long trip from San Diego to San Francisco. I am really sorry.

It's ok Boghos jan smile.gif next time smile.gif

#77 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Boghos @ Jul 20 2009, 07:44 PM)
Deal.

First off. How is it that the second largest Brazilian city, Sourb Boghos/ Sao Paolo is named after you? Is your real name Paolo di Lisboa? tongue.gif
Why is not the largest city named Rio Janikian? biggrin.gif
Are you really Armenian with a name like Gamavor Vazken/Vasco di Gama? smile.gif

Edited by ArpA, 20 July 2009 - 02:36 PM.

#78 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (ArpA @ Jul 20 2009, 05:26 PM)
First off. How is it that the second largest Brazilian city, Sourb Boghos/ Sao Paolo is named after you? Is your real name Paolo di Lisboa? tongue.gif
Why is not the largest city named Rio Janikian? biggrin.gif
Are you really Armenian with a name like Gamavor Vazken/Vasco di Gama? smile.gif

Dear Arpa, Surp Boghos is the largest city in Brazil. There are approximately 25 000 Armenians in Brazil. Mostly in Sao Paulo, the city. In the state of Sao Paulo you find Armenian families in most towns. There is a small community in Rio. A few Armenian families in places like Porto Alegre and Fortaleza. In spite of the small numbers especially in a country like Brazil, we have an Armenia subway station, Armenia square, Armenia bridge, etc. There have been Armenian MPs. There are several Ambassadors of Armenian origin in our diplomatic service. We have an Armenian owned bank and several other sizeable businesses. Blah, blah, blah ohmy.gif .

#79 shaunt

shaunt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:12 AM

Father's side:

Dad - Tiflis
Mom - Tabriz

Mother's side:

Dad - Tehran
Mom - Tehran

Haha, and I just noticed they were all from cities that start with the letter "T."

#80 Nvard

Nvard

Gatita :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:everything..

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:43 PM

that's actually a very good topic why don't we talk more about our roots, family stories, etc.....

My Dad's side (grandma's and grandpa's) were originally from Taron region (Sasoun,Moush,Alashkert), they came to Eastern Armenia (Aragatsotn region) in the early 1900-s, escaping Abdul-Hamid's rule. My grandmother's and grandfather's families were very close to Andranik Ozanian and took part in the 1918's war. Than they moved to Lori region, Kirovakan (Vanadzor).My Dad moved to Russia (Far East) in the 1970-s.

Mom's side is Romanian from Moldovan,Transylvanian and Bucovinian regions :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users