• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Davo0074_NL

Davo0074_NL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:43 AM

The reason that I put on this topic is because I found out that there is a huge DRUG-problem among armenians and not only young people but people who have a family as well. I would like to try to find out what can be the cause of this.

PLEASE COMMENTS

#2 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 02 January 2004 - 11:56 AM

I found out that people that start topics such as this one have a huge DRUG problem. I would like to find ou why.

COMMENTS PLEASE

#3 CheekY

CheekY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Davo0074_NL @ Jan 2 2004, 09:43 PM)
I would like to try to find out what can be the cause of this.

stupidity

#4 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Boghos @ Jan 2 2004, 05:56 PM)
I found out that people that start topics such as this one have a huge DRUG problem. I would like to find ou why.

COMMENTS PLEASE

lol.gif

#5 Davo0074_NL

Davo0074_NL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:11 PM

Boghos, I don`t know why you start arguing with me in the way you do, I`m free to put up a topic I think AND if you don`t want to reply it`s your choise but don`t write BS OK!
SKITTLES, ofcourse it`s stupidity but I actually meant wether the armenian society maybe isn`t educated enough on this kind of subjects because it is conciddered as a taboo.

DAVO ph34r.gif

#6 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:16 PM

I think the reason people (who don't seem to have that much problems) start using drugs, is to rebel. They are trying to make a point that maybe people shouldn't take it for granted that we are unique or know better or it's immoral and could never happen to Armenians. People just want to show that even if they are Armenians they still go through the same emotions and still have the same decisions to make, like whether to use drugs or not.

#7 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:22 PM

That's just ridiculous. No one says to themselves, 'oh, I'm going to rebel - now, let me take drugs!' C'mon... people who take drugs, mostly do it recreationally at first, and mostly to have some fun and escape the harsh realities of the world... For some, this can snowball into a veritable problem. But I really don't think anyone decides consciously to get addicted to drugs! blink.gif

#8 Davo0074_NL

Davo0074_NL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:29 PM

That`s treu VAV but the fact is that we "as the armenian society" should deal with this kind of issues because the americans or europeans don`t care so much about the minority groups in society. And Anushik jan, but we are unique right? I mean why we are talking in an armenian forum right now, because we have our own subjects that we like to discuss. And about so many things we are so unique that we for sure are "in some kind of way" a chosen nation and chosen people!

DAVO ph34r.gif

#9 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:34 PM

umm

1) cos it's a trend/cos it makes them look cool?
2) cos they were forced to try it and now can't get rid of it?
3) cos they have so many problems and it's the only way to try and forget about them -- which is why a lot of people give themselves to drinking which results in alcoholism.

#10 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:37 PM

You guys misunderstand me. Of course we say we are unique. But just saying isn't enough. The Armenian parents come to the U.S. and are very busy working and don't take the time to teach their kids not to do drugs or even discuss subjects such as sex. They just say "we are Armenians and should know better". Well, from personal point of view, when I was in my teens this bothered me so much that I wished that I'd get involved with drugs and sex just to prove to my parents that Armenians aren't immune to these problems. Thank God I didn't do any of these simply because my parents had too much control of me. Now I know better, but from my surroundings I am always so surprized at seeing how Armenian parents raise their kids. They try to be strict but then avoid talking about drugs saying that it's not Armenians' problem. How stupid!

#11 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:57 PM

And BTW anoushik - I agree with the latter part of your post - Armenians are just like anyone else, and can suffer the same vices that afflict other ethnicities. this is especially true in diasporan communities, where the problems of the host society often become in sync to the those affecting our own youth.

#12 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:03 PM

I do not take ANY drugs WHATSOEVER, even asprin. I do have another vice, however. I am a TRUE rebel, but I do not rebel by sullying the "temple" of the body.

#13 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (Davo0074_NL @ Jan 2 2004, 06:11 PM)
Boghos, I don`t know why you start arguing with me in the way you do, I`m free to put up a topic I think AND if you don`t want to reply it`s your choise but don`t write BS OK!
SKITTLES, ofcourse it`s stupidity but I actually meant wether the armenian society maybe isn`t educated enough on this kind of subjects because it is conciddered as a taboo.

DAVO ph34r.gif

First of all you should qualify the problem, or huge probem as you put it. Is it higher among Armenians than other immigrants ? Is it circusmcribed to California or other parts of the world ? What exactly are you trying to say, that drug addiction is a problem that affects everybody ? Are Armenians turning a blind eye when confronted with it ? Is that your point ?

#14 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:12 PM

boredom
ignorance (not necessarily lack of education!!!)
lack of joy in life, in work, in family, in relationships...
peer pressure
lack of good role models
alcohol
wanting to rebel
"'cause it's 'cool'" dry.gif
etc. etc. etc.

#15 Davo0074_NL

Davo0074_NL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:16 PM

BOGHOS, I`m not from CA but I`m from europe and the issue that I`m talking about is a big problem over here that causes me as an Armenian much worries.

The questions you ask me is axactly the thing that I try to find out so in stead of asking me questions or calling me a drug addict because I bring up the issue it would be better for you if you come up with some answeres or your own serious opinion.

Maybe the fact that people respond the way you do when somebody mentions the problem is one of the things that causes the problem.

DAVO ph34r.gif

#16 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:19 PM

Davo - I think Boghos intention was simply to ascertain more specifically the nature of the problem you posted about. I would tend to agree that your initial post was imprecise at best, but we've managed to work through that (i think) smile.gif

#17 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (hyebruin @ Jan 2 2004, 02:12 PM)
boredom....

there you have it! (at least in a north american context)

#18 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (Davo0074_NL @ Jan 2 2004, 01:16 PM)
BOGHOS, I`m not from CA but I`m from europe and the issue that I`m talking about is a big problem over here that causes me as an Armenian much worries.

The questions you ask me is axactly the thing that I try to find out so in stead of asking me questions or calling me a drug addict because I bring up the issue it would be better for you if you come up with some answeres or your own serious opinion.

Maybe the fact that people respond the way you do when somebody mentions the problem is one of the things that causes the problem.

DAVO ph34r.gif

I will just remind you your first post here.

The reason that I put on this topic is because I found out that there is a huge DRUG-problem among armenians and not only young people but people who have a family as well. I would like to try to find out what can be the cause of this.

You are not questioning if there is any more drug problem among Armenians than others. What you are doing is that you are claiming it. I found out that there is a huge DRUG-problem among armenians. To claim such, one has to first define what is "huge" in this cases, I mean "huge" compared to what?

This was probably the reason of Boghos answer to you, if an information is wrong(which in this cases, it would mean that compared to others Armenians don't have a huge drug problem), there is chances that the person that is proposing such an innacurate information is having drug problems and as well is frequenting people with drug problems, and because of this he is fooled into believing it.

You start a thread with a confirmation without any bases to support that confirmation, and then you ask people to answer the why of a confirmation that is probably wrong in the first places.

#19 Davo0074_NL

Davo0074_NL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:35 PM

Domino, du xi pilasopayutiunov ches zbaxvum?

Huge compared to what. If somebode tells you, I got myself a huge house. Then your question would be, huge....compared to what? Or would you understand that huge would mean in this sentence...very big (bigger as what should be considdered as normal)

If I say that in my opinion there is an drug problem among "the armenians" and I say "PLEASE RESPOND" then it means you can agree or disagree and just give your opinion but what this Boghos did is trying to attack me personally what is very rude (very means more then just rude)

DAVO ph34r.gif

#20 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:37 PM

I can't imagine going to a Nepali forum and reading a sentence like "recently I found out that there's a huge drug problem among Nepali immigrants." dry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users