nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:51 AM

Uh... YEAH!!!! See here:

http://hyeforum.com/...?showtopic=9437

I mentioned it earlier on another thread about Kurds and Armenians (don't remember).

I still haven't seen it though, but I've heard it's really good!

#3 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:48 AM

"Don't you miss the time when the Russians were here?" an old man asks his companion as they sit on chairs in the snow.

"No!" insists his friend. "We had no freedom then."

"No," agrees the man. "But we had everything else."

It looks interesting, but after Azat's "The Journey" I am afraid to watch anything produced by Armenians. Perhaps if I read more reviews abou the film. There are two comments on that page, one of them is from Iraq blink.gif and the other is a useless comment.

#4 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:08 AM

I saw this movie at the San Francisco International Film Fest back in April. Of course, it was heart-warming since hearing the Armenian language on an American big theater screen is quite unique for me. The film was made by an Iraqi Kurd, neither by an Armenian nor a Yesidi Kurd of Armenia, so it's made by an "outsider" if you know what I mean. The actors are mostly Armenian. The film is not about Armenians, or the Armenian culture, so if you're hearing about the Armenian culture the first time ever in your life and try to understand what/how/who/how long - none of these questions can be answered. I was somewhat mad after the movie - I felt the director somehow exploited the Armenian culture to make a movie about Kurds, there was no mentioning that Armenians are Christians and Kurds are not but they still get along fine to juxtopose with the Turkish treatment of Kurds. The only reality in the movie were the economic conditions in current Armenia, I was intrigued to see that an "outsider" could comprehend the every day reality in Armenia, the little nuances etc.

Of course, the movie has an artistic value most of which it seemed like came from Emir Kusturica's influence on the director. I just wish these kinds of projects were undertaken by Armenians themselves, there is so much still undiscovered beauty in the Armenian culture/spirit and of course landscape.

#5 tatavlali

tatavlali

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:57 AM

surprisingly, movie will be turkish cinemas next month.

#6 Arvestaked

Arvestaked

Aspiring Memetic Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:56 AM

I was very disappointed by The Journey.

#7 Arvestaked

Arvestaked

Aspiring Memetic Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

Armenians need to make films that are not about Armenian culture.

#8 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:46 PM

i loved the movie..
and it was also alittle interesting to learn about yezidi kurds in armenia..since we do not learn too much about them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users