• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 10 November 2003 - 02:24 AM

Hello everyone. I have just recently become a member. I searched through quite a lot of topics but I did not find exaclty what was interesting me. So I wanted to post this new topic.
It is really amazing how many Armenians of all ages choose to listen to "rabiz" music. As a music major in college we have been taught not to dismiss any kind of music ingorantly without understanding it first. So, concerning "rabiz" I will not say yet that it is in very bad taste and people listening to that kind of music should be ashamed. Rather, I am asking of any fans of "rabiz" to please speak up and let me know what you find so appealing in that music and why you listen to it in the first place. I think you all know what music I am talking about, but just in case you need more detail it is songs sung by such singers as Aram Asatryan, Joseph, Tata, ... And, oh yeah, who could forget Spitakzi Hayko that is currently advertising about an upcoming concert here in Los Angeles?
Thank you for your replies.
:blink:

Edited by anoushik, 10 November 2003 - 02:27 AM.

#2 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 02:43 AM

hey now girlie :P don't go mixing in tata with all the 'rabiz'...he is in a different category by himself!! :) ~~~
i think it's great to appreciate a variety of music! i mean rabiz does sound happy and upbeat, don't you think? it's nice to have sayat nova at a wedding, but the 'rabiz brings out all the dancers to the dance floor :rolleyes: ... though there is that sort of unpopular "hard core rabiz"...now, that stuff is not only annoying but hazardous to the ear drum, ear nerve...the whole auditory system!!! <_< --you know! the kind where they get all dressed up in a tux and sing---yuck!! yuck!!
welcome!! :)

#3 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 02:48 AM

I personally never dismiss music by the category. I make up my mind on a per song, per artist basis. So I don't hate "rabiz" music... some of them do appeal to me like how Harut Pamboukjian would appeal to me. It's hard to say for me exactly what makes a song "appealing" or "interesting" ... it's like asking what makes a "painting" art as opposed to junk.

I like a wide variety of music. But I cannot say if a song is a heavy metal rock song that I will like it just becuase I like other heavy metal songs.

Welcome to the board by the way.

#4 564312

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 10:47 AM

Rabiz is great for dancing at kefs

#5 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 10 November 2003 - 12:04 PM

Tata? Rabiz? :o :o Thats not true!!! :P Granted I won't lison to Rabiz on my way to work or home, but it's very fun at parties :D

Welcome :D

#6 KavorKin99

KavorKin99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 07:14 PM

people can listein to whateva they want right muahzzz

#7 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 07:39 PM

people can listein to whateva they want right muahzzz

KOO :P

#8 KavorKin99

KavorKin99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 07:39 PM

anushik i like rabiz music like aaaaaaaaaa lotttttttt does that make me a bad person? I think not, if you don't like it good for u.....so yaaa that's all i have to say everyone has the right to their taste in music aaaight missy hehe thanks for ur comments they dont offend me hun muahzzz :wub: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

#9 KavorKin99

KavorKin99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 07:50 PM

umm i forgot to add u said rabiz singers are Aram? Aram isn't rabiz he can't sing lol Jospeh he sings arabic if u mean Joseph Krikorian and Tata he's not rabiz he's a regular armenian singer....lol...if you really wanna know rabiz music it's tatoul, hovo, lol and grisha just to let you know that's rabiz i think ur mistaken hehe

#10 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 10 November 2003 - 08:19 PM

babe i dont know who fooled you, but joseph and tata re not rabiz singers. the definition of rabiz is that they take turkish music - especially the background music- and change the words to it. Tata has many armenian cultural songs on his cd- and many of which he wrote himself- and many of which have alot of armenian background music in them. and joseph- he's berutahye- and i dont know of many berutahyes singing rabiz- if u know what im getting at- Joseph sings different kinds of songs- he has alot of trance type songs i doubt u can consider him a rabiz singer- and many of his fans really dislike rabiz music- ohh and hopefully were talking bout the sam joseph here...lol----okie thats all i had to say1 :rolleyes:

#11 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:55 PM

I do not want to offend anyone. :) It is just very unclear what is so appealing about something with arabic and turkish music with very empty lyrics. :blink:
And I do understand that for parties and weddings uplifting music is needed and traditional folk music does not work. :blink: So why not listen to Armenian pop music even if we don't have much pop in the market? If the Armenians wanted to we could demand of the singers to change their style of singing and theirs choice of songs with something more pop with Armenian roots. So the question is not that we don't have access to Armenian pop and all we have to deal with is "rabiz". The "rabiz" music exists because Armenians want "rabiz" to exist. I just want you guys to tell me why you want "rabiz" to exist. :)

#12 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 11 November 2003 - 12:03 AM

well not everyone likes rabiz music- esp not me- but it still exists- not alott people like michael jackson but hes still singing- these things re not always controlled by people- not every single person- just majority--the only thing is that the majority of people in armenia like rabiz music becuase its probably the most widespread type of music and easily accessed- and i doubt theyre going to play sad duduk music on happy occasions all the time- so whatever is avaiable to the people the people take in and try to adapt to it- most of the time....

#13 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 12:28 AM

wow angel, just read your signature!! hmmm, very refreshing!! good job! :)

#14 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 02:40 AM

hehe thanks broosterina- sory im a bit weird 2 day- ignore the weirdness.........hehe :blink:

#15 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:armenians, armenian music

Posted 11 November 2003 - 04:35 PM

It has been a while since i last posted on this msg board, I would only read the posts and not reply. But, reading this one, I have to express my opinion. First of all, Many Armenians and especially the ones from armenia like rabiz music, why? becasue when you have other cultures' ppl as your neighbors, it is impossible not to be influenced by thm. We also have to realise that the fact that we use turkish music, that same music is often a mix of other cultures' music. Also, there isnt a proper way to change that, since raqbiz is here to stay for a long itme. Also, Tata, I agree isnt a rabiz singer 100%, he is rabiz, but not hardcore like Hayko and Tatoul. And I don't think he has songs with traditional melodies. Most of his stuff is basic tunes written by the keyboard player or some russian-armenian type of music adapted to the lyrics. As for Aram , his image has been polished alot through the years and he is now one of the most popular Armenian singers, which he is worth being, since he is theone of the few who, today at least, try to Armenianize their music as much as possible. The music may soound foreign, but it is simply Armenian, there aren't any translations except for one of the older songs. For the rest, he uses alot of Armenian instruments, and good music. Finally, for Joseph, he's a good artist too and represents Armenain music in the pop category, eventhough he has some Arabic influence for which we can't blame him, since he is Lebanese, just like Tata has alot of russian influence. But he certainly has a great voice which he uses to the maximum. (Joseph that is).

#16 KavorKin99

KavorKin99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:01 PM

wel i still like rabiz lol

#17 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:09 PM

wel i still like rabiz lol

KOOO :lol:

#18 KavorKin99

KavorKin99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 03:11 PM

well i do like it especially at weddings lol

#19 Hap

Hap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 04:20 PM

LOL.... arent "rabiz" guys the ones that wear Adidas pants with nice dress shoes and white socks? and drive around in their parents BMW's blasting their armo music?

#20 KavorKin99

KavorKin99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 05:41 PM

hell ya there fine azz hell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users