Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:14 AM

Journalist shot dead in Istanbul
POSTED: 1405 GMT (2205 HKT), January 19, 2007

ISTANBUL, Turkey (CNN) -- A prominent Turkish-Armenian journalist who spoke out against the killings of Armenians by the Ottoman Empire early last century was shot to death Friday, according to CNN Turk.

Hrant Dink, 53, editor of the Armenian-Turkish language weekly Agos newspaper, was shot dead in front of the Istanbul publication as he was leaving.

Authorities are looking into a lead that he was shot four times by a young man who appeared to be 18 or 19 years old.

Described as a "well-known commentator on Armenian affairs," Dink has faced a number of cases in connection with "insulting" the Turkish state for his writings.

"Some of the trial hearings have been marred by violent scenes inside and outside the courtrooms, instigated by nationalist activists calling for Dink to be punished," said a profile on the Web site of Pen American Center -- the writers' group that promotes free expression.

Agos, an Armenian-Turkish language weekly, was established in 1996.

Pen's profile said that in 2005, Dink "had been charged for an article published in Agos in which he discussed the impact on present day Armenian diaspora of the killings of hundreds of thousands of Armenians by the Ottoman army in 1915-17."

This is a hot-button issue in the region, Pen notes.

Armenians and other countries regard the killings of Armenians in the early 20th century as a a genocide, a claim rejected by the Turkish government, which says Armenians and Turks were killed in civil warfare.

Dink was one of the most prominent voices of Turkey's shrinking Armenian community.

A Turkish citizen of Armenian descent, he had received threats from nationalists, who viewed him as a traitor.

In an earlier interview with The Associated Press, Dink had cried as he talked about some of his fellow countrymen's hatred for him, saying he could not stay in a country where he was unwanted.

Private NTV television said police were searching for the suspected murderer, believed to be a teenager wearing a white hat and a denim jacket, but the identity and motivation of the shooter were unknown, AP reported.

Dink's body could be seen covered with a white sheet in front of the newspaper's entrance. NTV said four empty shell casings were found on the ground and that he was killed by two bullets to the head.

Fehmi Koru, a columnist at the Yeni Safak newspaper, said the murder was aimed at destabilizing Turkey.

"His loss is the loss of Turkey," Koru said.

Copyright 2007 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

IPB Image

IPB Image

http://edition.cnn.c...19/turkey.dink/

Edited by Dave, 19 January 2007 - 08:21 AM.

#3 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 19 2007, 02:14 PM)  

Journalist shot dead in Istanbul
POSTED: 1405 GMT (2205 HKT), January 19, 2007

ISTANBUL, Turkey (CNN) -- A prominent Turkish-Armenian journalist who spoke out against the killings of Armenians by the Ottoman Empire early last century was shot to death Friday, according to CNN Turk.

Sad. Very sad!!

Աստուած Հոգին Լուսավորէ

If one were to look for the definition of MARTYR and a saint , look no further.
A martyr is one who puts one’s life knowingly and consciously in jeopardy.
I hope his remains will be taken to Yerevan and laid to rest at the Pantheon.
Just as his kin should get the hell out of that hellhole.

Dear Dave. At first glance I was disappointed as to why you chose to post this shockingly sad news under the topic of Genocide. On second thought. The Genocide has never stopped. Perhaps we should create a whole new category where we can celebrate his life and works. Or, in the least move this thread and the other to "Famous Armenians".

Those cowardly sonofabitches!

Edited by Arpa, 19 January 2007 - 09:11 AM.

#4 neko

neko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

Shocking. ohmy.gif

I've seen other info that says that he was shot as he was just about to enter the AGOS building (CNN report says the opposite).
And that there were some protest demonstrations later in Taksim square, proclaiming "The Turkish State is the murderer".

#5 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:20 AM

Apparently, prior to the murder, he had gotten some e-mails threatening him and there was one that was particularly worrying. The police gave no attention to that when he notified them though..

#6 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:22 AM

That's precisely the reason Arpa

There's another thread in the Diaspora section..

#7 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:32 AM

First they say he's a criminal in Turkey, then they call the murder an "attack against the nation".

#8 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 19 2007, 03:22 PM)  

That's precisely the reason Arpa

There's another thread in the Diaspora section..

I thought so.
However, I would still like to see this thread and the one by Iminhokis moved under another subject topic. It is no secret that I have severe allergy to that Topic of Genocide, as if that most tragically shameful era in our history is a “badge of honor”.
In a previous note I suggested that it be moved under Famous Armenians. Yes, but how about under National, not Genocide, not Diaspora. We are one nation regardless of where we live.
Read my signature below. From Sevak’s Anlreli Zangakatun, referring to the time when Komitas sang ( in Furkish)for the Catholicos and made Him cry;
Closing words of the chapter- Ղողանջ Ավետիսի.

Երեւի այդօր քանի դար հետո.
Երկինք ու երկիր հաշտվեցին նորից.
Երեւի այդօր քանի դար հետո...
ՀԱՅԱՍՏԱՆ ԲԱՌԻՑ ՊՈԿՎԵՑԻՆ ԸՆԿԱՆ ՌՈՒՍԱ-ն ՈՒ ՏԱՋԿԱ-ն

#9 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 19 2007, 10:32 AM)  

First they say he's a criminal in Turkey, then they call the murder an "attack against the nation".

"K@na merir yegour sirem" This is what they are doing, politics at it's worst.
God bless his soul brave man indeed.

#10 AntranigBey

AntranigBey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

http://news.yahoo.co..._...d&printer=1

this really sucks sad.gif

#11 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:27 AM

please Moderators.
Is it possible to combine, under a subject topic of your choice, all these separate threads about this tragedy, lest we go crosseyed trying to see who has said what.
Thank you.

#12 Hellektor

Hellektor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

Is there an Armenian who still believes the most harmful, vicious, destructive virus ever, the species of filth on two legs going under the four letter word Turk (spit) will ever be civilized?

Is there an Armenian who will give me the shit: we are moral people not savages hence we shouldn't kill this vermin?

Enough is enough!

Exterminate them, annihilate them, eradicate them, obliterate, incinerate and evaporate this parasite that's been gnawing at our existence for a thousand years.

#13 Lev7

Lev7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE(Hellektor @ Jan 19 2007, 04:42 PM)  

Is there an Armenian who still believes the most harmful, vicious, destructive virus ever, the species of filth on two legs going under the four letter word Turk (spit) will ever be civilized?

Is there an Armenian who will give me the shit: we are moral people not savages hence we shouldn't kill this vermin?

Enough is enough!

Exterminate them, annihilate them, eradicate them, obliterate, incinerate and evaporate this parasite that's been gnawing at our existence for a thousand years.

why, go down to their level?

We should publicize this murder as much as we can, to show the world what animals they are

#14 Hellektor

Hellektor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:53 AM

Fucing Jewish pan-Turkist propaganda:

Hrant Dink had been tried under Turkey's criticised freedom of expression laws, for controversial comments about an alleged Armenian genocide during World War One, which Ankara and many Turks deny occurred.

Fucking Turkish propaganda:

The killing prompted swift denunciation by Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who said the attack was a "shock" and an "insult" to the Turkish nation and a "dark day" -- not only for Dink's family but for all of Turkey as well.
When are you going to learn Turk is no nation? Turk is the most worthless garbage ever produced in the history of the universe.

I INSULT your fucking wolfish "nation".

#15 Hellektor

Hellektor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(Lev7 @ Jan 19 2007, 11:46 AM)  

why, go down to their level?

We should publicize this murder as much as we can, to show the world what animals they are

Right now I'm as mad as a dog. I told you not to give me fucking moral lessons. Have the decency to allow me to mourn in my own way.

#16 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

If anyone has ever visited Turkish forums and posted knows that they are lot of sick MF who can kill and believe in their sick reasonning or lack of.
I liked the guy who had the balls to voice his opinion.Rest in peace. mad.gif

#17 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

Add his name to this Honor Roll.
http://hyeforum.com/...topic=11693&hl=
And please! Mutafoglu, stay out of this sacredly solemn ceremony.

#18 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

I am just pissed now.We should do all we can to pass the AG bill this year.Shove it to their throuts.

#19 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

Where is Soghomon?
http://en.wikipedia....homon_Tehlirian
Where are all the Tehlirians?
Note; "Soghomon" and "Suleyman" the Magnifaecis derive from the same Semitic/Aramaean-"Solomon/Salman/Zalman/Selim/Salam".

#20 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:36 AM

Astvats Hogin Lusavori

amenalav turqi mer@ & manuk@ !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users