Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:07 AM

Attached File  0__5234714_00.jpg   21.81KB   63 downloads
I loved watching this guy on TV!
I was so sure he'ld be eaten by a crocodile though...
how sad for his family.

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the “Crocodile Hunter,” was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, police said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles Reef near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of the state capital of Brisbane.

Queensland ambulance service spokesman Bob Hamil confirmed that a diver had been killed by a stingray off Lowe Isles Reef but refused to say who the victim was until relatives had been notified.

A rescue helicopter was sent from the nearby city of Cairns, and paramedics from it confirmed the diver’s death.

“The probable cause of death is stingray strike to the chest,” Hamil said.

Staff at Australia Zoo, Irwin’s zoo in southern Queensland, said they had heard the reports but could not comment.

'Crikey!'
Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry “Crikey!” in his television program “Crocodile Hunter,” which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.

Irwin was also seen as a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program “A Current Affair” that “killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me.”

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Oregon, and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

Edited by Maral, 04 September 2006 - 01:08 AM.

#2 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:09 AM

This trully sucks but I guess no one can complain that nature didn't warn him enough. sad.gif

#3 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:44 AM

yikes a stingrays tail through the heart ohmy.gif

#4 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:12 AM

smile.gif

In Irwin's own words
Email Print Normal font Large font September 5, 2006

Advertisement
AdvertisementCrikey means gee whiz, wow!

When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior, Australian bloke. And yet back here in my own country some people find me a little bit embarrassing.

Crikey, mate. You're far safer dealing with crocodiles and western diamondback rattlesnakes than the executives and the producers and all those sharks in the big MGM building.

I bled a lot. I got hit across the face. We couldn't film for seven days. I got whacked, underwater, across the face. I finished the shot, got into the boat and blood started coming out.

I get called an adrenaline junkie every other minute, and I'm fine with that.

I have no fear of losing my life. If I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.

I would never blame an animal if it bit me, because I'm at fault, not them. I heal so quickly. If you cut my arm off I would grow a new one.

I'm high as a kite, mate. I'm flat out like a lizard drinking, all the time. You know I have trouble just sitting here. You know, I'm just like, got to get up.

#5 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

so so sad sad.gif

i called to one of my best friends who happens to be australian and he said dying from a wildlife accident in Australia is a quite "normal".

#6 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:52 PM

I was telling my brother I wonder where in the sting ray he was trying to stick his thumb that pissed it off so bad biggrin.gif

#7 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,665 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Sep 4 2006, 09:52 PM) View Post
I was telling my brother I wonder where in the sting ray he was trying to stick his thumb that pissed it off so bad biggrin.gif

It wasn't the thumb, he was telling the stingray one of Maral's jokes. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

#8 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(Yervant1 @ Sep 4 2006, 10:40 PM) View Post
It wasn't the thumb, he was telling the stingray one of Maral's jokes. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

#9 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:32 PM

A LIFE-long friend of Steve Irwin today told how the Crocodile Hunter pulled a deadly stingray barb from his own chest before losing consciousness and dying.

Friend John Stainton said he had viewed footage of his friend's last moments and the images were "shocking".

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... and it's terrible," he said.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. That was it. The cameraman had to shut down."

#10 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,665 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE(Maral @ Sep 5 2006, 12:32 AM) View Post
tongue.gif

Thats it, this is all I get for a remark like that? ohmy.gif
I think you are softening up. biggrin.gif

#11 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE(Yervant1 @ Sep 4 2006, 11:42 PM) View Post
Thats it, this is all I get for a remark like that? ohmy.gif
I think you are softening up. biggrin.gif

too exhausted to do anything but copy and paste lately,don't worry I'll give you a smart arse comeback tomorrow tongue.gif

#12 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,665 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(Maral @ Sep 5 2006, 12:43 AM) View Post
too exhausted to do anything but copy and paste lately,don't worry I'll give you a smart arse comeback tomorrow tongue.gif

It is tomorrow in my neck of woods. smile.gif

#13 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(Yervant1 @ Sep 4 2006, 11:46 PM) View Post
It is tomorrow in my neck of woods. smile.gif

well then you should be in bed praying for the soul of Steve Irwin smile.gif

#14 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,665 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(Maral @ Sep 5 2006, 12:56 AM) View Post
well then you should be in bed praying for the soul of Steve Irwin smile.gif

Me pray for him?
He died doing what he loved most.
Thanks God he did not come near bears tongue.gif or else bear claws would have been in his heart.
I'm sure he pissed and disturbed so many animals to make his fortune. wink.gif

#15 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,214 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:14 AM

Stingray Sting

nooo need to see that one more time in my life

year or so ago an Iranian Fisherman was fishing next to me on Huntington - wan he pulled out a 5" stingray
me and 3 or 4 others told him to stay a way DO NOT TUCH or get close to it

did he listen ?? no
in a split second stingray got him - & in less then 30~40 minutes his shuse was ready to blowup - become swollen dark bluish color - we keep on telling him to go to hostpital, but no he was luging his ass offfffff / you people are siiiisyyyyys smile.gif
welll it got worst / we called 911

#16 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,214 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:21 AM

Avoiding and Treating Stingray Injuries
TOM EARNHARDT

Until you experience a stingray injury or know someone who has, you may not place avoidance of stingrays high on your list of fishing priorities. As indicated in the article "Stabbed by a Friend" in the July 2002 issue of Fly Fisherman, my first encounter with a stingray was a painful eye-opener. For my family and me, avoiding direct contact with these marine creatures has now risen to a high level on our list of coastal concerns.

I do not fear rays and will not avoid the places they are found because they inhabit many of the places that I love---redfish flats, tarpon and bonefish haunts, and the places where my kids swim. I will in the future, however, incorporate safer wading, boating, and swimming practices into my coastal routine.

There are a number of species of rays found in tropical, subtropical, and temperate waters that have one or more saw-edge barbs or spines on their tails. Such barbs, part of a rays' self-defense mechanism, can cause nasty lacerations or puncture wounds. When a ray is stepped on or accidentally kicked, its tail will snap forward in a self-defense reflex. The wounds alone should be enough to make an angler stay clear of them; however, the spines are covered with an "integumentary sheath," which, when ruptured, releases a powerful venom that causes severe localized pain.

Except for biologists and men and women who spend a lot of time on the water, stingrays are often difficult to distinguish from species of rays without barbs, and even their cousins, skates. Thus, for the ordinary angler and coastal visitor all rays should be treated with respect.

Avoiding Injury
You must first understand that rays do not attack or seek their victims. These are timid marine creatures that will avoid encounters with humans when given a chance. There are relatively few painful encounters with rays considering the number of anglers, swimmers, and commercial fishermen who use their waters. Rays with stinging barbs are found on American coasts and around the world.

Anglers who frequent flats in Florida, the Bahamas, and along the East and Gulf coasts are likely to encounter rays of all sizes and shapes. Even a small stingray, say the size of a dinner plate, can inflict a day- or trip- ending wound. The one that ruined my day was a Southern Stingray (Dasyatis americana) a fairly common species found from the mid-Atlantic to the Gulf of Mexico, and south to Brazil. Southern Stingrays range from 8 inches at birth to almost 5 feet across at maturity. The ray that exploded in murky water next to my leg had pointed pectoral fins, a distinguishing feature of the Southern Stingray.

Like flounder, rays are often well camouflaged over grass, mud, or sand bottoms. They not only change their colors, but they can also cover themselves with sand or mud while lying perfectly still on the bottom. Wading anglers have long been told to shuffle their feet to warn rays of their presence. When wading for skittish redfish or bonefish most anglers I know are more concerned about focusing on their quarry and being as quiet as possible. A noisy shuffle is the last thing we want to do. Here are some suggestions that won't hurt your fishing and may reduce the possibility of a stingray injury:

* Always wear polarized glasses. They are not only necessary to see reds, bonefish, and tarpon, but they also help you see the outline of a laid-up ray in clear water.
* Do the "shuffle" when you can, but if you must be extra quiet carry a wading staff to probe the water ahead of you.
* Since I am convinced that sandals and simple neoprene booties are not be enough to stop the sharp spine of a ray, consider wearing a heavier wading boot designed with stingrays in mind. I have also noticed products, such as "Rayguards," that offer lightweight protection from your calves to your feet.
* Never step out of a boat in shallow coastal waters without looking at your landing spot. Also, avoid wading in shallow murky water or at night when visibility is low. Along with rays such places increase the likelihood of an unwanted encounter with a jellyfish or shark. My own injury occurred when I foolishly waded into thigh-deep dirty water.
* If you happen to catch a stingray with hook, do not handle it or bring it in the boat. Cut it free. Commercial fishermen are sometimes injured while trying to take a ray out of a net. The spine is sharp enough to go through ordinary gloves and clothing.

First Aid
Don't panic. Stingray wounds are extremely painful, but rarely life threatening. Fishermen in remote areas and natives on islands in warm seas suffer stingray injuries and usually recover without professional medical care. Even if you are hours away from a hospital, there are still things you can do to eliminate pain and the possibility of infection. When possible, professional medical care should always be sought.

Although it is desirable to clean the wound with alcohol or hexachlorophene, it is more important to wrap the affected area in hot towels or place it in hot water as soon as possible. Water should not be hot enough to burn the victim. It is believed that hot water or hot, wet towels, changed frequently to maintain heat, helps to denature the venom. For many victims, myself included, heat has provided blessed relief from the intense pain. Some literature also indicates that ice or cold packs may provide relief. For commercial fishermen, fishing guides, and care givers, heat seems to be the preferred pain treatment.

Where, you ask, does one get hot water or towels on the flats or out in the boonies? Commercial fishermen have found that wet towels placed on a hot inboard engine can provide a good source of heat. For anglers and pleasure boaters, the engine cooling water coming out the "weep hole" of an outboard motor can also provide ample heat. For anglers who carry a well-stocked first aid kit, chemical "heat packs," available at drugstores, should be considered.

Proceed to professional medical treatment as soon as possible. Without proper equipment and medications wounds cannot be cleaned thoroughly in the field and they may contain parts of the broken barb, sheath, and bacteria.

When you get medical attention you should expect your docotr or nurse to take your vital signs to make sure nothing else is occurring in conjunction with the injury. The wound may be cleaned and probed to make sure no part of the spine, sheath, or other foreign particles are present. In my case I was also x-rayed for foreign materials.

A local anaesthetic may be injected around the wound to relieve pain and/or you may be given more of the proven hot water treatment. If your tetanus vaccination is not current you will probably be given a tetanus booster. Also, after asking about allergic reactions you may be given an appropriate antibiotic.

One medical journal stressed the importance of a visit to an advanced medical facility if a stingray spine has caused lacerations or penetrated the chest or abdomen. Such trunk wounds can be more serious than one on a leg or arm. Finally, there should be follow-up visits to your physician for wounds that do not heal quickly.

A couple of weeks after my stingray encounter I had no swelling, ankle pain, and no problem with the wound. All that remains is a small scar in the top of my right foot that will remind me to shuffle, poke, look, and admire from a safe distance my beautiful friend, the stingray.

#17 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:14 AM

R.I.P Steve Irwin sad.gif

Yerevant: Sometimes you need to stop the jokes & trying to be funny, especially in threads like these.

#18 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,665 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE(aSoldier @ Sep 5 2006, 05:14 AM) View Post
R.I.P Steve Irwin sad.gif

Yerevant: Sometimes you need to stop the jokes & trying to be funny, especially in threads like these.

Don't be so sensitive,
Should we mourn for qarsun days and qarsun nights?
Don't you Bible guys have a saying for that? Like "It was God's will". smile.gif
You should try to be funny as well, its good for the soul. wink.gif

#19 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:06 PM

well at least he died doing what he luved and what he was good at..
who knows Yervant,maybe one day you'll be standing there at a urinal and poof biggrin.gif

#20 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,665 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE(Maral @ Sep 5 2006, 06:06 PM) View Post
well at least he died doing what he luved and what he was good at..
who knows Yervant,maybe one day you'll be standing there at a urinal and poof biggrin.gif

If that's what God's will then it will happen otherwise it will be a wishfull thinking on your part. tongue.gif
BTW for that to happen you should get Mosjan to return my urinal. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users