Photo
- - - - -

My Eyes? Or increase of Armenian roles on US TV?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 04 July 2003 - 04:06 AM

I noticed that Armenians and/or Armenian names are being mentioned more orften in a varitey of US TV series. More often than not in a negative way. This reminded me of a book that I read a long time ago about how Hollywood portrayed Arabs. I confess my sample is too small to allow a conclusive opinion but just the fact that the "appearances" are overwhelming negative merit further discussion/investigation.

If my observations are proved to be correct, it is not very difficult to discover who might be responsible for this. Otherwise let me know, I am probabling watching too much TV :o) .

#2 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 06:37 AM

Boghos, it's just you and me here today. The Americans are out partying. Shall we mess up this place? :)

Seriously, which shows are you talking about and what do they say in them? True, I don't watch much TV, but this is the first time I'm hearing this. I only know of that Simpsons episode where Skinner's past is revealed as an Armenian orphan turned into a rebel, but he ends up as an obeying son and principal of Springfield elementary school. So I'm quite curious.

On the other hand.... not all Armenians are perfect. Mexicans, Blacks and other American minorities (including Whites) are not always portrayed positively either. So maybe this is actually a positive step: our existence has been acknowledged, regardless of context.

#3 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 11:01 AM

http://www.all-revie...and-country.htm

For those of you who shared with me the misfortune of having watched this movie, these guys had a dork who was boyfriend to the daughter and who said "Welgone hone" and the man and wife were discussing his ethnicity, which ranged from Pakistani to Persian to Armenian (last mentioned). Now, why is that?

#4 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 11:03 AM

BTW, Nairi -

it's easier to get into a habit than to get out of one

Would your new sig insinuate that living in the Netherlands has its cons? ;)

#5 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 02:48 PM

BTW, Nairi -

it's easier to get into a habit than to get out of one

HAHAHA :D

#6 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 02:51 PM

And Boghos - It was about a year ago when I remarked a marked increased in references to Armenians in american pop-culture.

Law & Order featured an Armenian building owner who was accused of murdering a tenant who refused to be evicted. There's the simpsons thing, and an episode of South Park that hinted at Armenian bomb-makers. (!)

Although the Turks haven't done much better - did anyone catch that episode of SNL a while back??

#7 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 07:18 AM

BTW, Nairi -

Lol! I was doubting between this new one and:"Some habits are simply not worth getting out of." :)

#8 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 05 July 2003 - 11:25 AM

Did anyone see the "Shield" episode that included a Armenian gang in the West Coast that were supposedly very powerful and were running a "money train", etc. There was scene in some Armenian restoraunt where some mafia boses operated. So there were sitting there and there was a very typical Armenian band playing duduk and dhol, and Armenian belly dancers were dancing under the tune - something very strange. They were portrayed almost like Arabs which was quite disappointing, but I was very surprised of the whole thing. It was not just a brief reference, but half of the episode revolved around the Armenian gangsters and talk about this "money train". Incidentally, there was a conflict between Russian-Armenian and other(Lebanese if I don't forget) Armenian gangs.

#9 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 11:43 AM

Good grief. That's exactly what armenians need now - a reputation of money laundering, murdering gangsters and thugs :(

#10 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 05 July 2003 - 06:22 PM

Well i don't watch hardly any US TV series to notice (but I did see those Armenians on Taxicab confessions a while back and they were a hoot...). On the other side of the coin - and its both perhaps obscure and currently a mystery to me - but one of my favorite authors - Tim Powers - very often seems to interject Armenians in very secondary but interesting roles in a number of his books. In each case the Armenians in questions seem to possess some secret (mystical/supernatural etc) knowledge that none other seem completlly aware of...I rally can't figure the/his connection to Armenians proper...dunnoh.

Anyway the books in question include: The Stress of her Regard (may favorite...might be out of print - concerns vampric type creatures who creatively influence poests such as Percy, Shelly and Bryce - who are all majoer characters...etc), Declare (a very interesting supernatural spy thriller based largely around Jinni/powerful spirit forces inhabiting the Arc up on Mount Ararat...and related...) and Expiration Date (the middle book in an amazing modern supernatural trilogy...this one taking place in LA [with all the underbelly revelation of a Bukowski story]...and it concerns ghosts - thomas Edisions in particualr..and many more...and ghost hunters & such....BTW - none of these books are what one might imagine them to be (all are built around some incredible - though often very obscure/trivial(?) historical accuracy)...and i think there are some other Armenian references in some of his other books - but i can't recall exactly now...anyone have any knowledge/insites about this?

BTW - if at all interested i highly suggest checking the reviews of his books out on Amazon...

Edited by THOTH, 05 July 2003 - 06:23 PM.

#11 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 08:12 PM

Watched one of those cheap "over night" movies where one of the characters was a man whose name was Petrossian. At the end it turned out that he was a double agent, and he saved the life of one of the Americans (instead of shooting him:-). If they show the movie in Russia it would be considered negative.

Is stupidity hereditary? :)

#12 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 06 July 2003 - 07:33 PM

There was a French flim I saw times a year or so ago, it was about a Jewish community in France, and where there was a guy by the name of Raffi being in love with a Jewish woman, the Armenian was not very well depicted, they were picturing him like a "Kughatsi." And finally it ended up that the woman likes another Jew guy, the Armenian was left alone. :lol:

#13 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 07 July 2003 - 11:46 AM

I saw the episodes mentioned by Sassun and vava. There are a few other instances where Armenians are mentioned in unsympathetic light.

I am no conspiracy theorist but I wouldnīt be surprised at all if certain lobbies that have advanced the cause of Turkey in recent years have a finger in that... I think that is very efficient especially at a more subliminal level.

I do realize that Armenian contribution to American life has become more diverse :D :lol: :D but in any case I think this is something to keep an eye open for. Even if it doesnīt lead to anything.

Well, in any case: it was a great long weekend in Rio.

PS: I saw Winstonīs post about literature. We should be forever thankful to Durrenmatt abd his old lady. Great writer Durrenmatt, unlike most Swiss or Dutch writers (here you go Nairi...just donīt let your anti-Americanism compounded by the Armenian blood mixed with European life get out of hand :D ).

Edited by Boghos, 07 July 2003 - 11:52 AM.

#14 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 09 July 2003 - 09:47 AM

Good grief. That's exactly what armenians need now - a reputation of money laundering, murdering gangsters and thugs :(

but unfortunately that is exactly what a good portion of Armenians are here in So Cal. or at least they are sympathizers of such lifestyle.

#15 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 10:43 AM

Hollywood has a definite slant in it's depiction of many things. So many Holocaust shows but none on the Genocide. I once wrote a letter to A & E Television about some misinformation, where Armenia was completely left out of a documetary of a trip of American climbers to the Caucasus region. They seemed to consider Armenia part of Turkey. I was summararily ignored.

Hollywood is also controlled by die-hard Gays. Bisexuals are depicted as murderous, dishonest and schizoid (e.g. Sharon Stone's role in that famous movie).

Those who contol the subject matter will subtlely impose thier prejudices upon an unsuspecting public.
So the depiction of Armenians is nothing new. They will focus on our criminals, but ignore the high American government officals and that some in their inner circle have Armenian blood (e.g. Cher, Agassi)

#16 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:36 PM

Hollywood has a definite slant in it's depiction of many things. So many Holocaust shows but none on the Genocide. I once wrote a letter to A & E Television about some misinformation, where Armenia was completely left out of a documetary of a trip of American climbers to the Caucasus region. They seemed to consider Armenia part of Turkey. I was summararily ignored.

Hollywood is also controlled by die-hard Gays. Bisexuals are depicted as murderous, dishonest and schizoid (e.g. Sharon Stone's role in that famous movie).

Those who contol the subject matter will subtlely impose thier prejudices upon an unsuspecting public.
So the depiction of Armenians is nothing new. They will focus on our criminals, but ignore the high American government officals and that some in their inner circle have Armenian blood (e.g. Cher, Agassi)

Hagarag, forget your book man, start writting another one about your opinions on everyday life and events, you don't have to force yourself. A title would be Psychosis or humour? :lol2: Oh... I love your conspiration theory, particulary the one about the Gays. Continue the good work. ;)

#17 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:14 PM

Domino,

I think that "Psychosis or Humor" is better a title for what is ensuing around the world today. The US Administration did a good thing by getting rid of Saddam, but much of it's justifications are turning out to be fabrications. Cardinal Ratzinger doles out Christian "fatwas" against everthing from homosexuality to abortion and against women priests, while giving direction behind the scenes to the Bishops to cover up the sexual abuse of altar boys and girls by the clergy. And now the US is going to send troops to Liberia.

#18 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 11:29 PM

Domino, do me a favor please! Get rid of this ugly creature that goes with your profile! For God sakes! Put something appealing for the eyes. Valeria Matza for example. :)

#19 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 02:58 PM

Domino, do me a favor please! Get rid of this ugly creature that goes with your profile! For God sakes! Put something appealing for the eyes. Valeria Matza for example. :)

Sorry, can't do that. :lol2:
Or maybe I should start a poll and let people decide? :P

#20 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:15 PM

Just happened to catch the first episode of Joan of Arcadia. Don't ask why I started watching it. Something compelled me. God maybe??

Anyway, there's an inspector Daghlian in there. In the beginning of the show, another policeman or something (didn't catch exactly what he was) said his name sounded Armenian and whether he was Armenian. I think Daghlian was portrayed as a more or less good guy. Here's a link:

http://www.geocities...arcadiaep1.html

While searching, I also came across this Daghlian:

http://members.tripo..._Dion/Daghlian/

Didn't realize there were so many Daghlians on the net...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users