• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:13 PM

well after many nights of pondering and torture and all that good stuff...and sleepless nights...

lately ive been thinking about this so called "LOVE" i mean i hear it from riends and family and stuff...but im having thoughts about what love is...like we hear it in the media, from society, and people arouind us, but is it something personal, or is the feeling just something that is universal???

heres what i think...

HERES WHAT I THINK OF "LOVE":
i dont think such things exist screw all that lovey dovey crap
i dont believe in love truely dont anymore
ive never expereinceds it so what tells me it exists
unless i c it or feel it i wont believe it
blinded by love so what blinds you?
i dont believe in it
its just oversecretion of hormones
and overactivity in neuronal firing
each person gets a definition of love based on what they expereince
and what does one have to expereince...what are the gounds...to bwe able to define it as love
whats the "criteria"
i dont think ill be afraid because i dont know what love is
how can i be afraid of something i dont know
thats what i mean..i dont believe in love
i need ample evidence to believe so

#2 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:18 PM

clap.gif

I LOVED it!!!!

#3 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (angel4hope @ Feb 7 2004, 09:13 PM)
well after many nights of pondering and torture and all that good stuff...and sleepless nights...

lately ive been thinking about this so called "LOVE" i mean i hear it from riends and family and stuff...but im having thoughts about what love is...like we hear it in the media, from society, and people arouind us, but is it something personal, or is the feeling just something that is universal???

heres what i think...

HERES WHAT I THINK OF "LOVE":
i dont think such things exist screw all that lovey dovey crap
i dont believe in love truely dont anymore
ive never expereinceds it so what tells me it exists
unless i c it or feel it i wont believe it
blinded by love so what blinds you?
i dont believe in it
its just oversecretion of hormones
and overactivity in neuronal firing
each person gets a definition of love based on what they expereince
and what does one have to expereince...what are the gounds...to bwe able to define it as love
whats the "criteria"
i dont think ill be afraid because i dont know what love is
how can i be afraid of something i dont know
thats what i mean..i dont believe in love
i need ample evidence to believe so

What is ample evidence for you??

#4 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Feb 7 2004, 09:18 PM)
clap.gif

I LOVED it!!!!

so sip jan, what do you love about it??!!! id like to know....

#5 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:25 PM

ample evidence...for someone to show me what love is...to give the word a meaning....it cant be explained with words...like to bring certain feelings that make me feel love...which i dont know what it is...im confusing myself even more...im just gonna leave it at that...the only tyope of love i believe in is love for family, parents and children...and love for god...thats all i will say....

#6 allarmeniangirl

allarmeniangirl

Close to nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:Shooting through guys' hearts with my sagittarius arrow. ;-)

Posted 07 February 2004 - 09:26 PM

can't really say yes or no to love, cuz i've never been in love, but i'd like to think that it happens and i see it happen.
what is the real definition of love?
Love
a lot of people seem to have different meanings to this word. LOVE, a lot of people change the meaning to this word, so the confusion rises about love. ppl should stick to the actual meaning of it. if u don't believe in love then the reasons should be based on its' definition.

if ur talking about ONE true love, i don't believe that there is just one true love, and i hope there is no such a thing, because it will definitely suck if u lose ur so called ONE true love to an accident or something and then ur life will suck cuz u can never love anymore. i don't like that idea of ONE true love.

Edited by allarmeniangirl, 07 February 2004 - 09:28 PM.

#7 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 10:41 PM

Well, asking if love exists or not is like asking if Aliens exist or not, and one can literally go into a whole book about Aliens and just like about love.

I've already seen some people here giving their viewpoints, and that is the healthy part. Humans try to map everything, even their emotions, onto some sort of empirical formula to better understand it, but it eludes us. What "love" is, is largely unknown, and "love" is but a word to shadow our ignorance of what it is, that is why we all try to define it and map it, but ultimately we come back to the same question we started with. It's sort of like a game of mental gymnastics.

Well, I'm not an exception to this game since now I'll give my definition. "Love" as is understood by most, to me at least, is that initial feeling of warmth, of infatuation, of feeling lubby dubby. When couples are together they truly feel that infatuation towards one another. It has often been said that "love is blind" and by that I take it to mean that "love" is that emotional blindness we have, the infatuation towards that other person, where all reason and thinking cease.

On the polar side of things, we seek someone who is loyal, who is kind, who is intelligent or has a sense of humor, who is versed on fidelity hopefully, is he/she able to provide and these are qualities most of us seek, practical qualities, when we want a serious long-term committment. Such would be thinking with your mind, reasoning. Thus, but that token I wouldn't define that as "love".

So what I would say is that "love" changes, and this is what most people cannot grasp or understand, and what constitutes most failed marriages or relationships in my opinion. Love starts out with that infatuation, but later changes. Most married couples don't realize that the love the two of them had before they had children, is not the same. Love essentially changes to something more practical a friendship of respect and loyalty, because I'm sure many parents who can answer this, when kids come into the picture, alot of things between the couples changes. This isn't to say that they won't "love" each other, sure they will, but it will be changed.

Most people out of their selfish needs never like the fact that their love changes, and cannot accept it or grasp it, that in order to maintain a successful marriage, you must adapt with it, not cling to past experiences or emotions of what it ought to be, as opposed to what it actually is. Who knows, I am not different than the rest of you trying to map and define love, feel free to offer criticisms on my definition ( especially you married folks with children ).

Cheers.

#8 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 10:45 PM

wow mouse that gaveme a whol e different take on it...although im still in search of my own definition...this helped alot..thanx

#9 allarmeniangirl

allarmeniangirl

Close to nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:36 PM

interesting points Anon, but i can't help but notice that u create ur own definition of "love"
i mean, why don't we just stick to the facts that are given when it comes to the definition of love. why must we make up our own definitions of it especially since we've never experienced it?

#10 CheekY

CheekY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:40 PM

love......? well there sure is love other than love for your family, friends and God. hope you don't get me wrong but i believe in God but i can't say i love him...because i'd be lying? i've never really thought about that... but i'm sure you can love someone more than anything in the world... and i think "true love" is when you love and care about someone despite their faults and do not want them to change.

#11 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:55 PM

haven't we talked about this topic like a gazzzziilllion times before?? love is within your own soul, and the only feelings men have are DOWN THERE!!! everything else is an act and a game! i guess you younger folks will soon learn all about it...i too was a hopeless romantic at your age!! things change! period!!!.......................

#12 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (skittles @ Feb 7 2004, 11:40 PM)
love......? well there sure is love other than love for your family, friends and God. hope you don't get me wrong but i believe in God but i can't say i love him...because i'd be lying? i've never really thought about that... but i'm sure you can love someone more than anything in the world... and i think "true love" is when you love and care about someone despite their faults and do not want them to change.

This gave me an idea for love ...

What if we say you know you love that person, when faced with the decision of either you can have everything in the world that you want. EVERYTHING!!! or this guy/girl.... and if you can honestly choos this guy/girl.. then that could be a good indicator of love.. NO?? what u guys think?

#13 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (allarmeniangirl @ Feb 7 2004, 11:36 PM)
interesting points Anon, but i can't help but notice that u create ur own definition of "love"

Well, DUH, we all make our own definitions, that is what I tried to point out.

What is the definition of love by the way? It is pretty much along the lines of what I defined, a deep emotional and or sexual attraction, also known as infatuation.

And to answer angels question of whether or not love exists, I think that it does exist, otherwise we wouldn't have a word for it, but a broader question is whether or not love is lasting or not?

#14 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:04 AM

yes thats what i meant...does "true love" what people call it...last? its weird i cant explain what im thinking...words dont seem enough...i mean i know love exists...i c people earound me in love...butdoes it last....and waht are the grounds for love? hmmmm....my key question...constant love...that doesnt change...is that true love? or is love everchanging/?

#15 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:05 AM

hmm like i know it exists for others..my question is does it exist 4 me...in my own world....since ive never expereinced it....i think my point is deeper than im trying 2 say here

#16 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:10 AM

and to ad on t o allarmgirl ....well even ur lil definition in the dictionary is a definition of other people's thought about love...not like it was created by some divine spirit...much of what we know is due to a broader explanation of what society says/thinks...like fear...can you put into your own words waht fear is?? most likely its different 4 u than others...but similar in some ways..because we all belong to one species...were al lhuman...therefore the vast similarities..u c ? smile.gif

#17 CheekY

CheekY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:13 AM

well love lasts but the passion fades? although you can get it back...

ok this is what i meant to say but maybe couldn't...it's "true love" when you have have a best friend who can also please you in certain ways wink.gif

oh and hyebruin i'm not really a hopeless romantic.

#18 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:16 AM

i think im confusing and contradicting myself here..ive been doing that 4 a while now...but im sure in the end ill have some sort of a clear thought or way of seeing things...just that everything is a mummble jumbble n my head and i try2 write what im thinking and it all comes our black and blue eeeeeeeh

#19 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (angel4hope @ Feb 8 2004, 12:04 AM)
yes thats what i meant...does "true love" what people call it...last? its weird i cant explain what im thinking...words dont seem enough...i mean i know love exists...i c people earound me in love...butdoes it last....and waht are the grounds for love? hmmmm....my key question...constant love...that doesnt change...is that true love? or is love everchanging/?

I think that in general we should all consider on how well we are versed on the purity of language. The quality of life in any society is reflected in the quality of our perceptions of reality. Thus we must have as clear an understanding of reality as it is possible to have. However, the problem is that language is fungible by nature. It is inherently imprecise, always an abstraction of and different from the reality we want words to represent. Words will always have a certain fuzziness to them, and relativists will always jump on this elasticity to support their claims. In other words we can make everything relative since the words can be made pliable. That does not mean there is no universal truth, it only means that whatever that truth is, it eludes us, for humans are limited and our intelligence is finite, thus words are just designed to hide these realities in abstractions.

Edited by Anonymouse, 08 February 2004 - 12:18 AM.

#20 allarmeniangirl

allarmeniangirl

Close to nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (angel4hope @ Feb 7 2004, 10:04 PM)
whether we like it or not, love changes(fades away slowly) over time sad.gif

QUOTE (angel4hope @ Feb 7 2004, 10:04 PM)
and to ad on t o allarmgirl ....well even ur lil definition in the dictionary is a definition of other people's thought about love...not like it was created by some divine spirit...much of what we know is due to a broader explanation of what society says/thinks...like fear...can you put into your own words waht fear is?? most likely its different 4 u than others...but similar in some ways..because we all belong to one species...were al lhuman...therefore the vast similarities..u c ?
well of corse it is the opinion other, but we have to set limits somewhere. if we can/do change the definiton of love, lets change the definition of other words too. i'm just saying, consider the word according to its' meaning and don't say that love doesn't exist.......especially if u've never experienced it.

Edited by allarmeniangirl, 08 February 2004 - 12:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users