• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 elle

elle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:20 AM

Has anyone had an internship with the Foreign Ministry of Armenia?
I would like to know what your experience was like with them. What did you do? How was the staff? Which department did they place you in?

I'm stuck with a dilemma here. I need an internship for this Summer and I have a big list of places that I can apply to.
I have the choice of applying to Europe....cities like Strasbourg, Berlin, Paris (throught AGBU), Lyon, Italy, Vienna.
I also have the choice of appying to one of the Armenian internships based in DC...I think it's named after Thomas Terjian.
I also have the choice fo spending my Summer in Armenia and intern at the Foreign Ministry, Armenian Foreign Ministry, the Armenian Parliament, Armenian Center for National and International Studies, the Armenian Foreign Policy Research Institute.

I can't seem to decide exactly where to apply and where I want to spend my Summer. EU internships sound good, but the only problem is that I have to cover my own expenses for 3 months, which isn't the end of the world, but some concern for now! The Armenian internship in DC sounds interesting, but I'm not too crazy about spending my Summer in DC, although the internship by itself sounds interesting. I also want to go to Armenia to work there a litttle, see my relatives, but when I end up thinking about the opportunity cost of going to Armenia....I suddenly decide not to because I would be missing on a 3 month trip to Europe. BUT then I tell myself that I've been all over Western Europe already, so most of these cities in Europe I've already seen. SO then I end up narrowing down my choice to that ANCA internship in DC thinking that I can gain good experience and make contacts for my future career. THEN.....I tell myself that why am I giving up 3 months just to stay in Washington DC during the humid Summer months there and missing on sunny Europe and European culture experience. THEN....I think to myself that I go to Europe anytime I want to, so I should concentrate only on gaining experience and not pay attention on the city where I choose. BUT then....I think to myself that I've been to Europe number of times as a tourist, but I never experienced European countries for 3 months and living in Europe for 3 months would be great and I'll always remember my Summer.

Anyways, I'm driving myself crazy here because I keep going into circles without any final decision and I' getting angry and frustrated. Seems like the reason why I can't make a decision is because all these internships/opportunities sound great in their own ways and I want to be in all of these places at once!

What should I do? I need some feedback on how your internships were like in Armenia? Where did you intern? Anyone has done an internships with AGBU either in Paris or NY? With ANCA?

If I end up choosing ANCA, will they actualyl help out their interns in teh future in finding jobs in DC? I dont mean in COngress or anything, but perhaps as a Foreign Service Officer for the State Department or SUAID? Which internships do you think might look better on a resume? Having an internship in different countries (EU & Armenia), sicne I'm majoring in International Studies, or havign an internship in DC? I'm thinking that since I'm an Interational Studies major, it would make sense to have the international experience.

HELP!

#2 elle

elle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

I guess no one had an internship in Armenia or DC before?

#3 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:24 AM

I guess not smile.gif

That's quite an adventure you've got ahead of you!

#4 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:37 AM

Elle jan, if you can't decide which one choose both of them!!!

#5 elle

elle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (Anoushik @ Jan 26 2008, 12:24 AM)
I guess not smile.gif

That's quite an adventure you've got ahead of you!

It would be an adventure once I pick something, but that's the whole problem here!
smile.gif
All of them sound good in their own way, so I'm very confused!

#6 elle

elle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE (Ashot @ Jan 26 2008, 12:37 AM)
Elle jan, if you can't decide which one choose both of them!!!

You know what? I'm thinking that IF I end up choosing Armenia, I can easily do 2 internships. I mean if I end up staying there for 2-3 months, then I can split the 2-3 months into half and gain an internship experience in two different institutions.

As I noted above, I have the choice of Foreign Ministry, Armenian International Research Policy Group or the Armenian Center of National and International Studies. I guess i can narrow down to 2, but now I would like to find someone who had a past internship experience with one or all of these institutions.

Anyone????

#7 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:29 AM

Elle jan go with ANCA. I asked a friend of mine, and he said defenetly ANCA... I asked 7 other people just a question "AGBU" or "ANCA" they all said ANCA...!!!
another one of them said he thinks AGBU is part of ANCA

So go with ANCA, it sounds better too!

#8 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:58 AM

Elle jan see this post by Nor Hayastan

http://hyeforum.com/...t...st&p=219432

He says that he interned in RoA in the Ministry of Finance & Economy and this last summer in the Central Bank. His last visit was on January 21 so he's still reads the forum and I'm sure will give you all the advice you need.

#9 elle

elle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

Has anyone here been to Berlin before?
I've been to numerous European countries, but not to Germany.
I was contacted by an American establishment in Berlin for an internship opportunity this Summer, but I can't seem to make up my mind still! Ahhhhh
How's the city like? I looked at photos, but it seems like Berlin looks much different from other Germany cities such as Munich, Dresden, Gottingen, etc. I think I would prefer Munich, but I hear few of you have said that Berlin is amazing. How so?
I kind of had my mind set on Armenia for the Summer internship after weeks of the above scenario (going into circles), but looks like I'm back on the same track, since I heard from Germany and I can't decide still!
My only concern is if I will learn anything in Yerevan during my internship? Every single person I told about this, claimed that I probably won't learn anything at the Foreign Ministry or in any other establishment in Yerevan, and I will be better off in Europe for the Summer.

What are the people like in Germany in general? I've only gotten to know one German couple when I was living in Central Europe for a while, and I have the best memories of them. They were truly great people in everyway!
I want my experience to be an intersting one and I want to learn things at the same time....not sure where I will gain both.

#10 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (elle @ Jan 25 2008, 03:20 AM)
Has anyone had an internship with the Foreign Ministry of Armenia?

you would love it...

#11 elle

elle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 8 2008, 09:56 PM)
you would love it...

Finally! Someone who knows about internships in Armenia.
Could you please tell me about your experience at the Foreign Ministry? What type of things did you do there?
I need to make up my mind if it's going to be Strasbourg, Berlin, Paris, DC or Yerevan very soon!
Please let me know why you think I'd love it...I don't doubt it, but I would like to know why smile.gif

HELP!

#12 Nor Hayastan

Nor Hayastan

Նոր Հայաստ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Հայերեն Լեզուն և Թեննիս

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (elle @ Feb 8 2008, 08:09 PM)
Finally! Someone who knows about internships in Armenia.
Could you please tell me about your experience at the Foreign Ministry? What type of things did you do there?
I need to make up my mind if it's going to be Strasbourg, Berlin, Paris, DC or Yerevan very soon!
Please let me know why you think I'd love it...I don't doubt it, but I would like to know why smile.gif

HELP!

Elle jan barev. AVO PMed me to reply on this post. I didn't really see it to tell you the truth, so I would have replied sooner. Like AVO mentioned, over the summer of 2006, I was in Armenia for a period of two months, and I interned at the Ministry of Finance & Economy through a program offered through Armenian Assembly of America. Fortunately for you, the deadline for this internship is on February 15, 2008... so you still have time to apply. During 2006, I also got the opportunity to go with another program (which is basically like a sponsor for a bunch of internships in Armenia) called Birthright Armenia. The summer of 2006 was the last time that program offered a travel re-imbersment for the SUMMER INTERNS. Now, since the program saw that the summer is the time when most students would visit Armenia, they changed the rules... now if you were to go on lets say AAA's internship to Armenia and be part of Birthright Armenia's program, you would have to live OUTSIDE of Yerevan for the 2 month period to get your travel re-imbersment (I believe..), check the BA website just in case I might be a little off.

Regarding my internship in general, the Ministry of Finance & Economy was great, make sure you tell Vram (the coordinator of the AAA program in Yerevan) to place you wherever you would like to intern, and exactly at which department you would like to intern at.

In 2007, I also got the opportunity to go on another internship organized by AGBU. 2007 was AGBU's first-ever Yerevan Summer Internship Program (called AGBU YSIP). I told our coordinator to make a blog, so all the interns could contribute and put in some pictures and all... and they actually made it smile.gif I worked at the Central Bank of Armenia for a 5-week period (the internship for AGBU is only 5-weeks), but I, nor any other intern in our group was part of Birthright Armenia this last summer. So just make sure if you want AGBU's summer intern program that it's part of Birthright Armenia's (I checked on BA's site, and I just saw that it in fact was, but double check just in case).

In general Elle jan, I am telling you this before hand, if you decide to go in the summer of '08... I'm telling you, you are going to probably have the best time in your entire life. These past two summers, especially this last one in '07, was just UNFORGETTABLE. The things I did, the people I met, the places I saw, just the entireeee experience will last my entire life. I still keep in touch with a co-worker (now friend smile.gif ) from the Central Bank of Armenia (CBA).

The AGBU YSIP application you can fill out from here.

I hope this all helps you out Elle jan, if you want PM me for more information wink.gif

P.S. YEREVAN is the place to be interning at, screw the rest! looool

#13 elle

elle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (Nor Hayastan @ Feb 9 2008, 06:45 PM)
Elle jan barev. AVO PMed me to reply on this post. I didn't really see it to tell you the truth, so I would have replied sooner. Like AVO mentioned, over the summer of 2006, I was in Armenia for a period of two months, and I interned at the Ministry of Finance & Economy through a program offered through Armenian Assembly of America. Fortunately for you, the deadline for this internship is on February 15, 2008... so you still have time to apply. During 2006, I also got the opportunity to go with another program (which is basically like a sponsor for a bunch of internships in Armenia) called Birthright Armenia. The summer of 2006 was the last time that program offered a travel re-imbersment for the SUMMER INTERNS. Now, since the program saw that the summer is the time when most students would visit Armenia, they changed the rules... now if you were to go on lets say AAA's internship to Armenia and be part of Birthright Armenia's program, you would have to live OUTSIDE of Yerevan for the 2 month period to get your travel re-imbersment (I believe..), check the BA website just in case I might be a little off.

Regarding my internship in general, the Ministry of Finance & Economy was great, make sure you tell Vram (the coordinator of the AAA program in Yerevan) to place you wherever you would like to intern, and exactly at which department you would like to intern at.

In 2007, I also got the opportunity to go on another internship organized by AGBU. 2007 was AGBU's first-ever Yerevan Summer Internship Program (called AGBU YSIP). I told our coordinator to make a blog, so all the interns could contribute and put in some pictures and all... and they actually made it smile.gif I worked at the Central Bank of Armenia for a 5-week period (the internship for AGBU is only 5-weeks), but I, nor any other intern in our group was part of Birthright Armenia this last summer. So just make sure if you want AGBU's summer intern program that it's part of Birthright Armenia's (I checked on BA's site, and I just saw that it in fact was, but double check just in case).

In general Elle jan, I am telling you this before hand, if you decide to go in the summer of '08... I'm telling you, you are going to probably have the best time in your entire life. These past two summers, especially this last one in '07, was just UNFORGETTABLE. The things I did, the people I met, the places I saw, just the entireeee experience will last my entire life. I still keep in touch with a co-worker (now friend smile.gif ) from the Central Bank of Armenia (CBA).

The AGBU YSIP application you can fill out from here.

I hope this all helps you out Elle jan, if you want PM me for more information wink.gif

P.S. YEREVAN is the place to be interning at, screw the rest! looool

Finally I heard from someone smile.gif
Thanks to AVO too!

I have no doubt that I'll find the internship interesting. I'm a poli sci major, so I would be looking at internship in the Foreign Ministry and few think-tanks like the Armenian Institute of National and International Studies ran by the former Foreign Minister of Armenia, Raffi H. and the Armenian International Research Policy Group. I'm thinking about staying there for 2 months or more...I want to use the opportunity to intern at two different places.

One thing that I'm wondering about is what type of tasks they gave you at the Central Bank of Armenia? That's my main concern...I want to make sure that my trip is fun and that I gain experience. I don't want to fly thousands miles and spend all that $$$ to photo copy papers or make a coffee for someone. I would rather make that coffee in Europe if that's the case smile.gif
Also, would you recommend me to apply through the Armenian organizations like ANCA, AAA, Birthright or apply myself? I'm asking this because the Armenian Foreign Ministry has an application on its website for interns, which means that students can simply apply to them without any outside help. I also contacted the Armenian Institute of National and International Studies and they asked for my resume, so I think I will get that. Also, are there any requirements for applying throught the AAA and ANCA? I'm trying to find out if they're too picky?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to know exactly what I'm getting myself into because I don't want to have any regrets later on...especially that I have an opportunity to intern in Berlin and Strasbourg. I can imagine how fun it was for you in Armenia...I always have fun when I'm there.

My parents are pushing me into going to Berlin or Strasbourg because they're nervous about me being alone in Yerevan even if all of our relatives are still in Yerevan...although they're totally OK with the fact that I'll be in Strasbourg/Berlin for 2-3 month all by myself without any relatives or anyone that I know!!! Weird! They're saying that if I decide to go to Armenia, one of my parents have to accompany me there because they're nervous when it comes to men/guys there.... I guess I'm going to be murdered or kidnapped by Armenian men over there! HA! smile.gif
Even my dad said that he'll be at ease knowing that I'm in a civilized Strasbourg, rather than lawless Yerevan.
Anyways, this is another reason why I'm so confused as to where I should go....thanks so much for your help.
I might even intern at the Central Bank of Armenia depending on what type of tasks you handled there. That's why I was asking if you could please describe few.

Edited by elle, 09 February 2008 - 08:13 PM.

#14 elle

elle

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for the PM...I'll get back to you shortly about your suggestion.

#15 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:37 AM

I was an AAA intern in both 1998 and 1999, in Washington, DC and in Armenia at the Americas Desk at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I now work for the ANCA in Washington, DC.

I think you will be happy with any internship you choose. The AAA program in DC puts you on the Hill or at the AAA offices. The ANCA internship in DC focuses on community building and you work out of our office. The ANCA also has the Capitol Gateway Program which is for recent college graduates who want to find work in DC. We help with finding a job and you get three months of free housing once you get here.

The AAA internship in Armenia was very fun. I highly recommend it, but from what I understand, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is no longer accepting AAA interns. I don't know too much about Birthright, but have heard many good things about that and the AGBU internship in NYC.

Visit our website to learn more - www.anca.org

#16 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (karakash @ Feb 19 2008, 11:37 AM)
I was an AAA intern in both 1998 and 1999, in Washington, DC and in Armenia at the Americas Desk at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I now work for the ANCA in Washington, DC.

I think you will be happy with any internship you choose. The AAA program in DC puts you on the Hill or at the AAA offices. The ANCA internship in DC focuses on community building and you work out of our office. The ANCA also has the Capitol Gateway Program which is for recent college graduates who want to find work in DC. We help with finding a job and you get three months of free housing once you get here.

The AAA internship in Armenia was very fun. I highly recommend it, but from what I understand, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is no longer accepting AAA interns. I don't know too much about Birthright, but have heard many good things about that and the AGBU internship in NYC.

Visit our website to learn more - www.anca.org

I forgot to add one thing - Yerevan is NOT lawless. I felt completely safe at 2 am walking the streets of Yerevan.

#17 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:traveling, reading, science

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:12 PM

Check out Birthright, you can pretty much choose to do anything you want i.e. work with any organization, company, etc and you don't get stuck with a government branch. My brother did birthright, found it amazing. My opinion: you'll learn more in Europe and it will be better for your CV ... on the other hand ... you'll have more fun, by very far, in Armenia!

As for security, Yerevan is known to be a very safe city - if you're not in the assassination, drug dealing, money laundering, theft, or fraud businesses - I, and hundreds of diasporan youth, have walked on its streets at 2 am without ever being bothered ... even by dogs! Same goes for Europe, slightly less safe I would say ... Yerevan has this family thing to it, especially if you're a girl, nobody will misbehave with you.

I don't understand why you're concerned about this though!

A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users