Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:03 PM

Editorial Reviews (from Amazon)
About the Author
Hailed as the "father of Yoga in the West," Paramahansa Yogananda is regarded as one of the great spiritual figures of our time. Born in northern India, he came to the United States in 1920, where for more than 30 years he taught the ancient science of meditation and the art of balanced spiritual living. That same year he founded Self-Realization Fellowship, to disseminate his writings and teachings worldwide. Through his best-selling classic, Autobiography of a Yogi, and his numerous other books, he has introduced millions throughout the world to the spiritual principles of yoga meditation and the universal truths underlying all world religions.

Book Description
In this unprecedented masterwork of inspiration, Paramahansa Yogananda takes the reader on a profoundly enriching journey through the four Gospels. Verse by verse, he illumines the uni­versal path to oneness with God taught by Jesus to his immediate dis­ciples but obscured through cen­turies of misinter­pretation: "how to become like Christ, how to resurrect the Eternal Christ within one’s self."
Never before available in its entirety, this landmark work by one of the most revered spiritual teachers of our time transcends divisive sectarianism to reveal a unifying harmony underlying all true religions. A groundbreaking synthesis of East and West, it imparts the life-transforming realization that each of us can experience for ourselves the promised Second Coming -- awakening of the all-fulfilling Divine Consciousness latent within our souls.

Yogananda said, "In titling this work The Second Coming of Christ, I am not referring to a literal return of Jesus to earth. He came two thousand years ago and, after imparting a universal path to God’s kingdom, was crucified and resurrected; his reappearance to the masses now is not necessary for the fulfillment of his teachings. What is necessary is for the cosmic wisdom and divine perception of Jesus to speak again through each one’s own experience and understanding of the infinite Christ Consciousness that was incarnate in Jesus. That will be his true Second Coming."

http://www.amazon.co...product-details

#2 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:09 PM

I bought this book yesterday, very interesting, revelatory and perhaps even revolutionary. Haven't read yet, it is 1600 pages, just randomly read some passages. It is amazing how much divinity, wisdom and mysticism there is in the words of Jesus. I highly recommend it, of course having read the author's other writings also. Read it and you will see there is much more beyond what we have been told by various dogmatic authorities.

Edited by Sasun, 31 August 2004 - 06:16 PM.

#3 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:31 AM

I just stumbled on this by default rather than design, as I seldom get involved in “theology/meology”.
Second coming?
Why?
What was wrong with the “first ”?
We, as Christian Armenians subscribe to the “first coming” with the message of love, forgiveness and PEACE. Who is it that is waiting for the “second coming”, a coming of the sword, war, destruction and “Armageddon” when the whole Middle East and the world will be consumed with “fire and brimstone”, save only one people?
“Second coming? When everyone, including us the Armenians, along with the Syrians, Iraqis and the Americans will be incinerated except jou know jou..
Can we get over this “pro-faecis” garbage and get back to reality?
You mean, at the “second coming” the entire world will be wiped out, including us, except TelAviv?
Have we not had enough of those “prophesies/pro-faeces".
Is it not time that we learn to read that BOOK of Lies with the sophistication of the 21st Century of science and knowledge, science does mean knowledge as in the Armenian word "gitutyun/գիտութիւն"?
Actually, the Armenian word “gitutyun /գիտութիւն is based on գէտ/ գիտ to search, gtnel/գտնել/գտնալ/գիտենալ, to search, to find, to learn..
Ironically, it is that same book that urges us to "seek, and ye shall find", yet we so blindly take whatever "econd/third" garbage others may dish at us.

Edited by Arpa, 16 May 2006 - 03:43 PM.

#4 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(Sasun @ Sep 1 2004, 08:09 AM) View Post
I bought this book yesterday, very interesting, revelatory and perhaps even revolutionary. Haven't read yet, it is 1600 pages, just randomly read some passages. It is amazing how much divinity, wisdom and mysticism there is in the words of Jesus. I highly recommend it, of course having read the author's other writings also. Read it and you will see there is much more beyond what we have been told by various dogmatic authorities.

Thanks so much for the info Sasun happy.gif
I am definitely going to buy this in the months to come.

#5 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE(sSebB @ May 16 2006, 08:41 PM) View Post
Thanks so much for the info Sasun happy.gif

I am glad you are interested Seb smile.gif

I also recommend you to read these about Jesus:

The Miracles of Yeshua ben Joseph
http://ramtha.com/ht...ings/yeshua.pdf

"The Mystic Christ" by Ethan Walker III
http://www.devipress.com/michome.html

The Son
http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/son/

Edited by Sasun, 28 June 2006 - 11:57 AM.

#6 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:10 PM

Yeah, Yeah!
Second coming!
Is that like making love for the second time? smile.gif,oops.gif Amot, Amot!!
Mot e garun@, shutov k@ hasni!!
If you back track above you will see what I wrote.
The "Second Coming" had nothin to do with Christianity. We heard HIM the first time< And if there atill are those who have not heard, please read the Gospels. Forget that heap of garbage known as the Old Tetament whose adeherents are still waiting for that "second coming" of King David.
Are we Christians, followers of Christ or are we still waiting for that King of Judea who will not come until that time of "VORmageddon" when all is incinerated except you-know-who ?
Wake up and smell the "sourj", see who is talking about the "second coming".

Edited by Arpa, 28 June 2006 - 07:26 PM.

#7 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(sSebB @ May 16 2006, 07:41 PM) View Post

LMAO @ sSebB who thinks this is a "Christian" book just because it has the "Christ" in the title biggrin.gif Boy are you probably in for a surpirse.

#8 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(Sip @ Jun 29 2006, 01:32 PM) View Post
LMAO @ sSebB who thinks this is a "Christian" book just because it has the "Christ" in the title biggrin.gif Boy are you probably in for a surpirse.

Sip and his deficient assumptions...

#9 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(Sasun @ Jun 29 2006, 03:54 AM) View Post
I am glad you are interested Seb smile.gif

I also recommend you to read these about Jesus:

The Miracles of Yeshua ben Joseph
http://ramtha.com/ht...ings/yeshua.pdf

"The Mystic Christ" by Ethan Walker III
http://www.devipress.com/michome.html

The Son
http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/son/

Will do happy.gif

#10 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:20 AM

Just make sure and come back to tell us what you thought of the book wink.gif Then we'll talk. I am actually very curious to see how you like that book with all the Christian stuff you've been preaching.

#11 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE(Sip @ Jun 29 2006, 05:20 PM) View Post
Just make sure and come back to tell us what you thought of the book wink.gif Then we'll talk. I am actually very curious to see how you like that book with all the Christian stuff you've been preaching.

Wow, you continue with these assumptions...wait a minute Sip...have you read the book?

#12 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(sSebB @ Jun 29 2006, 04:57 AM) View Post
Wow, you continue with these assumptions...wait a minute Sip...have you read the book?

Did you read the review?

#13 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(sSebB @ Jun 29 2006, 07:09 AM) View Post
Will do happy.gif

Dear Seb,
Please don't.
We love you.
You don't need to read any damn Jew's view of Jesus or any Sri Shitmoy's either.
All one needs to do is read the Avetaran, it means Gospel, Good News, Good Tidings, Avetis to see, as the First Christians- "What a Friend We Have In Jesus".
Do you know that hymn?

#14 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:33 AM

I wonder why no one objects to Sasun reading the book...am I no different?

Oh and Sip: about the "boy am i in for a surprise" blurb...what surprise am i in for?

#15 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE(sSebB @ Jun 30 2006, 06:33 AM) View Post
I wonder why no one objects to Sasun reading the book...am I no different?

Oh and Sip: about the "boy am i in for a surprise" blurb...what surprise am i in for?

Any fervent Christian reading a book written about Jesus by some Karonamayananu Kukuchinmoyakamalala is up for a surprise. biggrin.gif

Edited by QueBeceR, 30 June 2006 - 05:44 PM.

#16 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:54 PM

biggrin.gif ... or ANY Yogi for that matter smile.gif

sSebB, believe it or not, I actually would encourage you to read it. It will definitely provide some alternative view points which you may end up liking more than your current ones. Who knows. But don't get me wrong though, by encouraging you to read it, by no means do I "recommend" or "agree" with any of it. For one thing, I haven't read it but I think I have a pretty good idea of what's in it.

Also, what the hell is up with the Amazon reviews? The book got 5 starts from EVERY reviewer. It's like the entire cult lined up to review this book. ohmy.gif mad.gif huh.gif

Edited by Sip, 30 June 2006 - 08:56 PM.

#17 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:17 PM

It's not fair to judge a book by the name of the author...I was under the impression that goes under the "common sense" category.

Also, you can't say that I will be in for a surprise, not only because you haven't read the book, but you do not even know what I am expecting from it.

#18 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

Just seeing your avatar it's fairly obvious what you expect from a book about "Christ" (not to mention EVERYTHING you have said so far) wink.gif

#19 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Jul 1 2006, 02:02 PM) View Post
Just seeing your avatar it's fairly obvious what you expect from a book about "Christ" (not to mention EVERYTHING you have said so far) wink.gif

Nope, that's an assumption.

#20 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

So are you going to read it or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users