Brinz recipes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2000 - 09:51 PM

Here is my failproof tips for good rice:

1. Basmati rice only! This is the only real rice. The best brand is Pari, but Tilda is pretty good. Ideal of course would be rice from Iran, but that is banned here in the US!

2. Soak(about five minutes) then rinse then rice twice, that seems to be my magical number

3. Invest in a National Rice cooker, it will be worth it.

4. Use good, bottled water instead of tap, that makes a difference

5. Err on the side of too little water, you can always add a little more later, but it is impossible to correct it if you put too much.

6. Despite what you have heard, stir the rice a few times as it is cooking, but not too much. This evens out the water.

7. Use real butter ideally(clarified), If not, actually Brummel and Browns Spread seems to work as a good substitute, because it has yoghurt.

8. For a great Tadigh(crunchy rice crust on the bottom that is a treat)heat oil in the rice cooker, place a layer of sliced potatoes(or lavash) on the bottom of the rice cooker, leave potatoes or lavash to cook in the hot oil til almost golden, then put in your measured rice, water,butter and cook the rice as you would normally. It is important that the rice and water is not added too early, or the potatoes will simply float to the top,and you will have a disaster.

9. If you don't have a rice cooker, the rule is to boil the rice at a high temperature until the water evaporates slightly below the rice level, then lower the temperature and cover the pot and let it continue cooking. Iranians traditionally cover the lid with a cloth.

Anushut! Nushe Jawn! Bon Appetit!(Sorry Garo for breaking the English/Armenian only rule!)

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2000 - 02:22 PM

Steve, question:

I love pilaf kinda Persian style: with all the flavors and such in it. I know parskahyes are big on this. For example, I've seen it cooked with plums!! of all things!! I was wondering if you knew of any other ingredients you could add for flavor (aside from the traditional raisins)

Thanks!!
Gayane

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2000 - 02:32 PM

Yes Gayane jan, there is a whole repetoire of unusual but tasty additions to polo. There is shirin polo with Orange peels. Albalu polo has tart cherries, zereshk polo is with barberries(cranberries can be used as a substitute). Gheisi polo is with apricots. Let me know if you would like the recipe for any of these. Also, in the Northern part of Iran, near the Caspian, they eat rice for breakfast with jam and milk!

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2000 - 02:42 PM

I realized I haven't really given an actual recipe for Persian polo, just tips. Ok here is a basic one for a rice cooker:

Serves 6

3 cups of basmati rice
3 1/2 cups of water
1 tablespoon of salt
4 tablespoons of clarified butter, or if you wish subsitute with Brummel and Brown's Spread
1/4 teaspoon of saffron threads dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water

1. If necessary, pick through the rice, pull out any bits of rock,etc. However most rice brands in US are already clean

2.Rinse rice in lukewarm water, then let soak for 5 minutes. Rinse again in lukewarm water then drain

3. In the rice cooker combine the rice,water,salt and clarified butter. Stir with a wooden spoon, turn on rice cooker

4. After about seven minutes lift lid,if water has evaporated below the rice level, stir gently to even out moisture, add the saffron water, and if desire some more clarified butter(depends on your diet!)

5. As rice cookers vary, check on the rice after another 10 minutes. With a National Brand rice cooker it takes about twenty minutes to get a good,fluffy polo. Anushut! Nushe Jan!

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2000 - 12:25 PM

thank you!!... one more thing: would you happen to know exactly when during the cooking process you would add these ingredients?? (i.e. in the beginning, when it's almost done, etc)

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2000 - 07:51 AM

Steve you are a great and maestro in dishes I will come to California and be your guest and eat with you, then we go to santa Moniva boulvard for Akbarmashti Icecream. Good Idea?

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2000 - 10:05 AM

Befarmaid Iranyar joon! Amaw be man Santa Monica ye kam dure! Behtar, berim be restorane Darya dar Orange, khaylee ghazhal khaylee khoshmazeye.

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2000 - 06:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Half Breed:
Befarmaid Iranyar joon! Amaw be man Santa Monica ye kam dure! Behtar, berim be restorane Darya dar Orange, khaylee ghazhal khaylee khoshmazeye.

Agha shoma befärmaid Holänd, mehmane mòn bashid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users