Monte Melkonian

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 LithiumC4

LithiumC4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:politics, business, history, movie industry, conservative school of thought,

Posted 11 August 2001 - 02:23 PM

Who is Monte Melkonian?

Posted Image

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 11 August 2001 - 02:43 PM

MOnte Melkonyan web page

Monte (Avo) Melkonian was born near Fresno, California, on November 25, 1957. He graduated with honors from the University of California at Berkeley with a degree in archaeology and Asian history. Turning down scholarships for graduate study at prestigious universities, he devoted the rest of his life to defending the underprivileged and voiceless. He taught at Armenian schools in Iran and Lebanon and helped defend local Armenian communities. Monte stated many times that those who genuinely want lasting peace should be prepared to work and fight for justice....

stop by at the web page for mor info.

Movses

#3 dragon

dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 11 August 2001 - 05:33 PM

I like the guy. He was a good man. Melkonian couple was like Serop Aghpur and Sossee Mayrig for Artsakh and Artsakhtsik. May be history is repeating itself...humm...I have to think about this more carefully

#4 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 14 August 2001 - 10:01 PM

oh. you can think carefully too???

#5 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:09 AM

iysor Hayastan yev Artsaxum nshvel e MOnte Avo Melkonyani mahvan tarelits@

Yerevanum batsvel e Monte melkonyanin n@virvats Photo n@karneri tsutsahandes

Amsi 12 k@lini Monteyi Mahvan 10 tarin

Movses
  • onjig likes this

#6 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:genocide recognition

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:29 AM

I visited his grave. It was a moving experience. It is in a serene and beautiful cemetery high on a hill.

#7 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 12:30 AM

I believe that he left behind a wife and a child.

#8 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 05:13 PM

I visited his grave. It was a moving experience. It is in a serene and beautiful cemetery high on a hill.

yes it is
Posted Image
  • onjig likes this

#9 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, that is the place. Thanks, MosJan for the photograph.
I forgot the name of the upscale street in Yerevan. Is it Sayat Nova?

#10 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 27 June 2003 - 06:50 AM

Yeah, that is the place. Thanks, MosJan for the photograph.
I forgot the name of the upscale street in Yerevan. Is it Sayat Nova?

It is Yerablur which is a contraction from Yerevan and blur/hill. It is a cemetary of sorts but it is more a pantheon.
See below.

Thanks Mosjan!

http://www.janfedayi.com/Yerablur/

PS. Can you think of a more friendly nickname?
At times you come on so human and sensitive, but I must confess that highly offensive, nonArmenian , Turkish nickname of yours is such a turnoff for me that I must hold my nose to read your posts, and I totally ignore it most of the time.
  • onjig likes this

#11 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 10:37 AM

Thanks Arpa, and where is Garmir Blur?

As for the Khodja nickname, I do not understand why this is so offensive to you. It is the title which the Turks gave my great-grandfather. You should only know who his brother was, which I will not tell out of fear of the homicidal Turks who lurk here. Their hatred runs so deep that they are killing today defenseless old Armenian women both in Turkey and yes, even in the US.

The title meant little during the Genocide, as the Turks killed my great-grandfather's four sons and the majority of their families.

Please explain to me why this term is so offensive.

#12 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:21 PM

As for the Khodja nickname, I do not understand why this is so offensive to you. It is the title which the Turks gave my great-grandfather. You should only know who his brother was, which I will not tell out of fear of the homicidal Turks who lurk here. Their hatred runs so deep that they are killing today defenseless old Armenian women both in Turkey and yes, even in the US.

The title meant little during the Genocide, as the Turks killed my great-grandfather's four sons and the majority of their families.

I am trying my damnest to love you, but with a nickname like that I find it a difficult task.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Why am I offendede by "khoja"?
Everything aside, simply beacuse it is NOT an ARMENIAN word. See below.
It is mostlly used by the Turks now to mean "teacher", "elder", a "wise man".
Yes THEY may have bestowed the title on your ancestors. Ask Ara B, about the definition of "ottomanization", even if he may have it wrong.

"khoja" is not an Armenian term, it neverwas, it will never be. AS mentioned above the Turks are the one of the very few to use it. It is a disgusting term as it was those "khojas" who were distributing the murderous tools and inciting the mob to kill every Armenian.

THe origin of the word is shrouded in obscurity but judging from the sound of it I would dare say it has Chinese origin, no not mongolian as you would wish. Consider this; Xo Ja.

As to that idiot known as "Nasrettin Xoja". So what else is new? When did the Turk stop stealing other peoples' culture??!! It is none other than Kaj Nazar, albeit turkified to read Koja Nazar, or further yet, Koja Nazar(ettin).
Please find another more friendly nickname, pehaps then we will read your posts at their own value and not choke on our vomitous in the processs.

May I suggest "ishkhan"?

http://ismaili.net/~...ja/abdgkhja.htm

Here is an excerpt;

Historical Development of the "Khoja" Community:

In order to trace the origins of the Khoja community it is necessary to travel to India in which Hinduism is the predominant religion of its citizens. There are several different sects within Hinduism and its followers belong to a particular caste. The origins of the Khoja community lie in Shakti Marg Hinduism and are believed to have been from the kshatriya caste. Collectively, the Khojas formed the "Lohana community". However, in the early fourteenth century this community underwent a significant transformation when a Persian missionary converted the members to Islam and gave them the name "khwaja". Professor Sachedina explains how this took place. It is certain that the name khoja is the phonetic corruption of the Persian word Khwaja (meaning "master, teacher, respected, well-to-do person") that was given by the Persian Isma'ili missionary Pir Sadruddin to his Hindu converts to Islam in the fourteenth century. (Sachedina, 1988, p.3)

#13 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:37 PM

I believe you have it wrong about Xodja Nasrettin. The character is known all the way to the other end of the continent, as Nasraddin Efendi by those Uighurs in Xinjiang you love so much and as the A Fan Ti as such by the Chinese who love them more.

#14 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:37 PM

Arpa,

OK, I have changed my moniker. There will be no more posts by Khodja (Hagarag). lease now tell me about Garmir Blur!

#15 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:39 PM

+++++++

Karmir Blur, literally, Red Hill is an ancient Urartuan site at the southern outskirts of Erevan, on the left bank of Hraztan River. It gets its nickname from the fact that when it it was incinerated the bricks turned fire.

I will describe the site in more detail but in the mean time enjoy this;

http://www.greatarme...rly_and_pre.htm

#16 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 01:09 PM

Thank you, Arpa, for the info. on Karmir Blur.

#17 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 01:14 PM

Thank you, Arpa, for the info. on Karmir Blur.

AmericaHye!
Now I love you!! :D

#18 joseph parikian

joseph parikian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 09:11 AM

Congratulation America-Hye formarly known as " Khodja , Hagarag " for joining the " main stream armenians " .
My father was born in a small village called " Najar " some where close to " Dort Yol " his father was the Elder of the village and the ihabitents called him " Panos Agha " , he talled me that he remebers when the French General " Goro " visited their house when the french army was in Clicia , by the way my father is a surviver and he was born in 1908 he is still living with me .
Arpa thank you for your efort that resulted in " Khodja " choosing the users name America- Hye

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers: :cheers: :kisss: :kisss:

#19 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 02:25 AM

Arpa jan :) VartsQ`t Katar :) k@nqaHiyr jan :)

qanzi du mer America-Hye k@nqaHiyrn es :) uremn iren el tirutyun es anelu :) qani vro na qo Sanukn e :)

Dzerqert chtsava :)

#20 Vigil

Vigil

BANNED!!!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 03:24 AM

Melkonian Fund
http://www.melkonian.org/

Edited by Vigil, 31 May 2004 - 03:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users