Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

ARMENIACA

ՀԱՅԿԱԿԱՆՔ

Halberian Mansion
Among many news and stories;

Posted Image

http://www.whyleavea...teinway-mansion

http://www.dailymail...rk-mansion.html
Asking price 4.5 million 100 times the original 1925 purchase price. :)
http://www.queensbuz...-estate-cms-648

Michael told me how his father, an Armenian tailor, bought the mansion when the Steinways put it up for sale in 1925. His father had saved everything he had made since moving to America in 1913. He had set his sights on the mansion years earlier, seeing it while traveling with friends on a Steinway trolley, likely on a trip to the North Beach recreational area. A realtor / friend who was with him on that trolley ride, remembered his interest in the mansion, and contacted him when it came up for sale. So Jack Halberian collected everything he had and bought the house for $45,000.
Upon taking possession of the home, Jack found it to be a less than smooth transition, as the water and electricity conduits were provided to him complements of the nearby Steinway Piano Factory. The factory terminated these conveniences following the Steinways exit shortly after the completion of the sale. Jack Halberian quickly set about to make things work, investing another $15,000 into repairs and improvements. His new wife’s family helped him refinance his investments in 1928 by providing him with $17,000 in loans.
In 1929 Jack’s wife’s family wanted their money back as the stock market crashed and everyone was short of cash. To make ends meet, Jack rented out the upper two floors of the house, while he and his family occupied the first floor and the basement. Michael remembers shoveling coal into the furnace during his youth to keep the house warm. Apparently the mansion at the time would consume about thirty tons of coal per season, which Michael informed me would fill half the study about eight feet high.

Michael is no more :msn-cry: ;
http://www.queensbuz...---dies-cms-708

Edited by Arpa, 09 March 2011 - 11:53 AM.

#2 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

My idea of initiating this thread was to see how many NOT YET SO FAMOUS ARMENIANS and ARMENIAN related stories we can broadcast. And my wish is that our Ads and Mods would see it fit to create a whole Subject Topic of ARMENIACA. Yes we know we have a category of Famous Armenians, but this category will be for those NOT YET SO FAMOUS ones, who may some day be Famous. Or to subjects about Armenian things and news that don’t fit any of the existing categories. No crime stories please, we have a topic for that -”our ugly side”. And please no stories like "Armenian church found in Zimbabwe", or "Armenian priests in Iceland". There is a an ongoing thread about them - "Comedistan". Please feel free to post any news or stories you deem newsworthy, be they about things Armenian or about potential “famous Armenians”, be they in arts, politics, business, science, and or ,and or…..
-----
My apologies in advance as the first two entries will deal with obituaries. Hopefully we will not see many of them. Hopefully future entries will be more cheery and celebratory.
----
This is really eerie and scary. Only today I was reading one of our old threads where I had invoked his name in a different context, and a few minutes after I saw this;

http://www.armenianw...lah-dies-at-84/

NORTH PALM BEACH, Fla. (A.W.)—Frank Chirkinian, the Armenian American CBS sports producer and director, died in his home in North Palm Beach on March 4 at the age of 84.
Nicknamed the “Ayatollah,” Chirkinian is credited as being the “godfather” of televised golf. He was the executive producer and director for CBS’s coverage of the masters tournament for 38 years and introduced many innovations to the way golf was broadcast.
CBS credits him for the use of high-angle cameras filming from blimps and trees. Numerous microphones placed around the golf course ensured that the sounds of the game and conversations between golfers would be picked up for television audiences.
This May 9, Chirkinian’s name will be inducted in the World Golf Hall of Fame in St. Augustine, Fla. He won four Emmys and two Peabody Awards, and in 2007 earned the Sports Lifetime Achievement Award.
Chirkinian was born to Armenian immigrant parents. He grew up in Philadelphia. When he got the chance to direct the 1958 PGA for CBS, his innovative approaches impressed the station’s management, earning him a full-time post.
After retiring, Chirkinian, along with partners, bought the Emerald Dunes Golf Club in West Palm Beach. In 2006, speaking with the Golf Channel’s Randall Mell, Chirkinian said, “It’s going to be an iconoclastic club. I don’t know if it’s my Armenian heritage, but there’s something that rails against being involved in any organization. I am a free spirit.”

Edited by Arpa, 09 March 2011 - 08:58 PM.

#3 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

This is what I mean about NOT YET SO FAMOUS… Now we get the idea. Some day. Who knows?

http://www.mirrorspectator.com/?p=4640

WATERTOWN, Mass. — Peter Koutoujian sees himself as a good fit as the new Middlesex County sheriff, suggesting that his years of work in the state legislature, his background as a lawyer and prosecutor, as well as work with crime victims have prepared him for this new chapter of his life.
“I was a prosecutor in Middlesex County for five years [1991-1995] under Tom Reilly. I’ve been involved with victims’ rights and worked with a program called REACH, which deals with domestic violence. My degree from Harvard’s Kennedy School is part of my experience, too. I feel that everything I’ve learned has prepared me for this job.”
Koutoujian, 49, is completing the term of the late Middlesex County Sheriff James DiPaola, who tragically committed suicide in late November, after questions were raised regarding his collecting a high salary as well as a yearly pension as a retired police officer. Koutoujian was appointed on January 14 by Gov. Deval Patrick to fill out DiPaola’s term.
Koutoujian had been a state representative until his appointment. He intends to seek a full term as sheriff in November 2012, after he completes DiPaola’s term.
Koutoujian (D-Waltham), who served in the Massachusetts State Legislature since 1996, said he actively sought the appointment when he heard that DiPaola was planning to retire, before his death.
He said, “It’s the value I see in the job that made me want to do it. A few people approached me and encouraged me to seek the appointment.”
One perk of Koutoujian’s new job will be to open and close the commencement ceremonies at Harvard University. This task is written into the state’s constitution and the sheriff has been performing this ceremonial duty since the position was defined in 1643.
Koutoujian, who received a master’s degree in public administration from Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government, said, “As an alum, I’ll get a kick out of this.”
Koutoujian says the three components of the job are the public safety of the inmates and then the community, with the third priority preparing prisoners to re-enter the general population.
“The average stay of an inmate is about 240 days. Most people are in the country system for drugs, domestic violence or [operating under the influence] OUIs. People who are sentenced for felonies go to Cedar Junction in Walpole or to Concord. We need to do much more to prepare people for reentry in order to reduce recidivism,” he said.
Most of the sheriff’s budget goes to pay for salaries, but Koutoujian would like to see more money devoted to programs and education.
The sheriff’s office has a relationship with local police and can provide a SWAT team, a canine unit, help with warrant apprehension. It also can offer the use of a command vehicle and a mobile ballistic unit.
“Our dogs can help detect drugs in the schools,” Koutoujian said.
The sheriff’s office also has a collaborative relationship with both parole and probation although no jurisdiction in either area.
“We sometimes hold parole hearings at Billerica, and with probation, we will oversee the release of prisoners and run drug tests,” he added.
Koutoujian’s district as state representative included half of Waltham, three precincts in Newton and one precinct in Watertown. As sheriff of Middlesex County, he will preside over the tenth most populous county in the country, with a population of 1.7 million. The county includes 54 cities and towns.
Koutoujian says he saw the opportunity to have a greater impact by playing an executive rather than a legislative role.
He said, “When you’re in the legislature, you’re part of a deliberative body, and things can move very slowly. Now, I am, in effect, the CEO, with a budget of $65 million and a workforce of 900 employees. I can make decisions and move things on much more quickly.”
The primary responsibility of the sheriff (the word derives from the Old English “shire reeve,” which means the keeper of the peace) is to run the country jails. There are two in Middlesex County — the House of Corrections in Billerica and the jail in Cambridge. The Billerica facility, which was built to house 300 prisoners, now accommodates 800 men, while the Cambridge location houses about 600. Both locations suffer from overcrowding, a condition Koutoujian says must be addressed. The Cambridge building will probably be vacated some time in the future, as the building has been cited for asbestos violations. The courts once housed in the building have already moved.
The sheriff’s office also provides courtroom security, for the transportation of prisoners and serves warrants for arrest. Although country government was severely reduced in 1997, the sheriff’s position and Registry of Deeds were preserved as part of the county system.
There will be a special election to fill Koutoujian’s former seat. The primary is to take place on April 10 and the general election will be held May 10. There are several Democrats running in the primary, including John Lawn of Waltham and Newton Alderman Alan Ciccone. There is likely to be a Republican, James Dixon of Waltham, running in the general election.
“I am sorry there is no Armenian in the race,” said Koutoujian, “and I wish someone would run.”
With Koutoujian leaving the legislature, there is no Armenian currently serving in either the House or the Senate. Former state Rep. Rachel Kaprielian left the House two years ago to take over the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
“[State Rep.] John Hecht and [state Sen.] Steve Tolman will be running the Genocide Commemoration Day at the State House,” said Koutoujian, “and I am sure they will do a very good job. Of course, I will stay on the committee and help in any way that I can.”
He has already been on the thrice-a-day roll calls for both the Billerica and Cambridge facilities, and has ordered an audit of the sheriff’s department. He will be attending a meeting of the Massachusetts Sheriffs Association on March 9-10 and has called a meeting of his transition team, which includes victims’ rights advocates, correctional experts, local police and the secretary of public safety to examine current and future policies.
Koutoujian said, “I love this job and I am not shy about saying my parents are very proud of me. For an Armenian-American to hold this position, which dates all the way back to the 17th century, it is a great honor.

---
This is special for Boghos;

http://www.armenianw...rate-100-years/

Btw Boghos, I am sure you know that one time Speaker of the NJ State Assembly, and a US Senate candidate Chuck Haytaian is also of Marash heritage?

Edited by Arpa, 09 March 2011 - 08:17 PM.

#4 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:03 PM

Richard Ouzounian

http://www.google.ca...VjAoI6lkUU2JFYg

#5 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

Peter Oundjian

http://www.google.ca...MUueVah4DQjGovg

#6 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

Richard Ouzounian

http://www.google.ca...VjAoI6lkUU2JFYg

EXCELLENT Yervant!
You get the idea.
Btw. I have known several with the family name "ouzounian" who fit the moniker ,i.e. "tall" in that other non-language".
Btw. Anyone know who that Janet Shamlian of CNN/ABC is?
http://static01.medi...amlian_x200.jpg
Who knows him?
http://abcnews.go.co...tory?id=6499665

Edited by Arpa, 10 March 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#7 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

They're coming out of the woodworks, literally :) . Balakian et al, and now this.
As promised here is another yet to be famous Armenian..
The article below needs no interpretation, however I would like to point out a couple highlights.
The fact that he was born in Florida and lives and practices law in the capital city Talahassee, and is involved in local and national politics. Yet the most interesting part is that he a is a fifth generation American Armenian, that his ancestors immigrated 200 years ago., and after all those years he still has an Armenian sounding surname. One wonders if his family name is modified and abbreviated?
------

http://www.reporter....-feeling-within

Mark Mustian rediscovers the Armenian feeling within
Published: Tuesday March 15, 2011
Tallahassee, Fla. - I and most or all the Armenians with whom I grew up were first generation Americans. When we started attending public school, many of us spoke only English and, for most of us whose parents were immigrants, the social life of our families revolved around our church and our social culture.
As we progressed through school and moved through life stages, we learned and adjusted to an American way of life while maintaining connections of various degrees of strength to our Armenian heritage.
Mark Mustian is doing it the other way around. He's a 52 year old lawyer in Tallahassee whose ancestors came to America in the early 1800's making Mark perhaps a fifth generation American.
One of his great grandfathers served in the Confederate army during the Civil War.
(How different is that from your own family's history)? They settled in Louisiana and Mark grew up in Florida , eventually matriculating at the University of Florida .
Mark studied law and began practicing the profession and, in the course of living an "American" life, thought about what he wanted his life to be and set some goals for himself:
(1) Be a lawyer, which he was already doing; (2) do some teaching, (3) do something important like, run for a political office from which he could make a difference for the better in people's lives, and (4) write a book. There's nothing particularly notable about that. We all make choices and resolutions, but Mark did something unusual; he achieved all his goals, in spades.
We don't hear much about Tallahassee but it's one of the most important state capitals in the country. As one of the fastest growing states, Florida keeps rising in political importance because whereas fifty years ago the state had eight members in the U.S. House of Representatives in 2012 it will have twenty-seven. By the same token, its membership in the Electoral College, which elects the President of the United States , has increased from ten to twenty-nine. When Mark decided to run for public office, he targeted the office of City Commissioner in his adopted home town. He was elected in his first campaign in 2003 and has been reelected twice since. As for teaching, he tried his hand at that by teaching evening courses in the local community college as he started to build a successful law practice. He enjoyed it but found that his time was better spent in other activities like, spending more time with his wife and children.
His fourth accomplishment was writing a book, of which he's done two, actually, the second of which is the basis for this article. I read the book, a terrible book, because it gives flesh and blood to a historical skeleton, bringing to life the pain and suffering you and I have known about since we were children. Fortunately for us, the last chapter of the book rescues the reader because it's so spiritually uplifting.
Mark knew from childhood that he was part Armenian but he didn't know what the relevance of that was or what the implications were, if any. He didn't grow up the way you and I did; he grew up the way our non-Armenian friends and neighbors did, but about a dozen years ago he heard about Peter Balakian's book, "Black Dog of Fate", researched Armenian history and the genocide, and it opened a new life path for him. He became fascinated and involved in his heritage, and he was moved to write "The Gendarme", about the physical and spiritual journey of a Turkish soldier who was a convoy guard during the march of a horde of Armenian victims from Armenia to the Syrian desert .
Since Mark knew very little about the background of the Armenian side of the family, I was left with asking him what life messages he got from his father: "A whole bunch. You get what you make of things. The major message I got was the value of having a solid work ethic. Whatever it is you get out of life, you're going to have to go out and work for it. Nobody's going to give you anything, and there's satisfaction and achievement if you work for it. My kids are 16, 15 and 13 years old and have never read my book, for whatever reason, but one day a couple weeks ago, my 16 year old came home and said, "Hey, I heard an album today and the musicians were Armenian.' He was genuinely excited about it. Although I traveled to Turkey and Syria to research the book, I'd really like to go to Armenia to get a better understanding of where I came from and what the genocide was all about. 20 years ago I knew nothing about being an Armenian. In 200 years, how much will our descendants care to be involved? I feel blessed and grateful to have discovered this connection and to have been able to write about it."
I've got a feeling that life is better for the habitants of Tallahassee because of Mark's work in the community. I've got a feeling that a number of benefits will inure to the Armenian American community as well, if he stays on the same track. What kind of a guy is he? He feels like family, which you can find out for yourself, if you choose.
His email is mark@markmustian.com, but he demonstrates that he still has some American blood in him by having a website, www.markmustian.com.

© 2011 Armenian Reporter

Edited by Arpa, 15 March 2011 - 09:40 AM.

#8 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

David Ignatius
http://upload.wikime...id_ignatius.jpg

Yet another little known partially discovered Armenian.
Among the many works listed below, there is no mention of one of his first docudrama which was my first discovery of him, the semi-documentary 1991 novel SIRO
The action takes place mainly from Boston to Nakhjivan which in those days very few knew about.
It is full of action and intrigue, and yes SEX , between Aram and… Shamiram?? Actually Anna Barnes of thr CIA. Not to forget that on page 40 he talks about the massacres at “kahramanmaras” I.e. Marash. Were his ancestors of Marashtsi heritage? Let’s ask him.
I am sure that his family name was originally Iknatiosian. (Please google and see how many respond to a variety of the spellings.)

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0374265062

http://www.amazon.co...=283155&s=books

http://en.wikipedia..../David_Ignatius

Ignatius is of Armenian descent with ancestors from Harput, Elazığ, Turkey.[1][2] His father, Paul Robert Ignatius, is a former Secretary of the Navy (1967-69), president of The Washington Post, and former president of the Air Transport Association.[3]
Ignatius was raised in Washington, D.C., where he attended St. Albans School. He then attended Harvard College, from which he graduated magna cum laude in 1973. Ignatius was awarded a Frank Knox Fellowship from Harvard University and studied at Kings College, Cambridge University, where he received a diploma in economics.[4]
He is married to Dr. Eve Thornberg Ignatius, with whom he has three daughters.[4]…

Of course, we cannot talk about David without mentioning his father Paul Robert Ignatius…**
http://en.wikipedia....Robert_Ignatius

**He was born in Glendale. Do our friends in Glendale know about him? See the connection to the Washington Post.

#9 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

Gladys Berejiklian

MEET THE WOMAN WHO COULD BE OUR NEXT TRANSPORT MINISTER

North Shore Times
March 16, 2011 Wednesday
Australia

Hard work and songs for Gladys

THE BATTLE FOR YOUR VOTE: State Election 2011, March 26

Gladys Berejiklian has been tipped as a future leader and her talents
have been recognised by Liberal leader Barry O'Farrell, who made her
spokeswoman for transport and for the campaign. The North Shore Times'
Charis Chang followed one of the area's most promising politicians
for a day on the campaign trail.

7AM: The street is empty and the sky has lost its grey tinge as I
wait for Gladys Berejiklian outside her Naremburn electoral office.

The Willoughby MP adds a flash of colour as she arrives, looking
cheery and neat in a linen suit, red shirt and black pumps.

She is used to early starts and gets media calls from 6am, she says,
as we walk to St Leonards train station to hand out leaflets and
inspect a broken escalator.

Ms Berejiklian chats casually but easily switches to focus while making
a series of calls to radio stations, managing to stay "on message"
throughout the 15-minute walk.

vp+37.30am: St Leonards train station

Campaign volunteer Richard is waiting for us at the station.

"There's our girl there," he calls out to passersby as he hands
out leaflets.

Some walk past, but many stop to shake hands and wish her luck.

"People are making more eye contact than in other campaigns," Ms
Berejiklian says.

"There seems to be a higher level of engagement and I think people
really want to vote, especially young people."

A North Sydney Boys High School student asks if he can have a photo
with her as he likes her.

Ms Berejiklian has worked hard for visibility in the area since
narrowly beating Willoughby Mayor Pat Reilly for the seat in 2003
when she was a relative newcomer.

Being a great local MP is high on her list of priorities and she is
unflappable, even when people are rude to her.

"More than anything I want people to feel free to approach me on
any issue that bothers them no matter what my responsibilities are,"
she said.

You can tell Ms Berejiklian also likes to analyse people, such as
when a woman brushes her off, then looks back guiltily.

"She was in a bad mood," she says. "But she still wanted to say don't
worry, it's not about you, I get it."

8.30am: Wigs, lipstick and the gym

Ms Berejiklian looks younger and more friendly in real life than in
photos. She says she used to be overweight but now eats well and goes
to the gym three times a week.

The 40-year-old confides she regularly gets calls from stylists and
public relations people offering their services or giving advice
about what lipstick colour to wear.

She's even had offers from a wig supplier. "I know I could do more
in this area but I just don't care that much," Ms Berejiklian said.

"People try to pull you in all different directions but I'm comfortable
with who I am.

"I think the further removed from yourself you become, the harder it is
to do your job because you're always trying to be someone you're not."

She said she enjoys her job because she can be herself and she
genuinely seems to enjoy interacting with people. We are constantly
stopped by someone telling Ms Berejiklian she is doing a great job.

9:45am: Media appearance

After a short break at her office where she signs letters and
looks over her diary, we drive to Mosman Ferry wharf for a campaign
announcement.

She is appearing in her role as Opposition transport spokeswoman and
meets North Shore MP Jillian Skinner to announce a plan to restore
North Shore ferry services.

Ms Berejiklian fields regular calls from journalists, colleagues,
campaign managers and candidates as we drive.

She also sings along to music in her car, admitting she likes "anything
mainstream" including Pink and U2.

Although not married, family is important and she has lunch with her
parents and sisters weekly.

Unfailingly polite, the fiery side of her personality only comes
out when Rob Oakeshott, a former Nationals and now independent MP,
is mentioned on the radio and called a traitor. "Well, he is," Ms
Berejiklian agrees heatedly.

10.30am: An easy afternoon

Ms Berejiklian has a light agenda today and we have time for "treat,"
a one-hour lunch at New Shanghai in Chatswood Chase.

But first she needs to finish her paperwork at her electorate office,
stop at Artarmon station to investigate accessibility issues and
visit her Willoughby campaign office.

A volunteer at her campaign office, who had worked at every election
since the 1970s including for Peter Collins and Nick Greiner, said
she liked Ms Berejiklian's "dedication, sincerity and generosity
to everyone".

"She is admired by young and old," she added.

3pm: Blessings

After lunch we attend the blessing of new buildings at St Philip Neri
Catholic School, Northbridge, built with federal funding.

In front of the altar is a banner saying: "deeds not words".

The motto could be applied to Ms Berejiklian, who has worked hard
to achieve her success. She was the first descendant of Armenians to
be elected to State Parliament, one of a handful of female NSW Young
Liberals presidents and has also been touted as a future Premier.

But Ms Berejiklian brushes the question aside, saying she does not
have time to think about such things. She is concentrating on being
the next Transport Minister, not the next Premier.

4pm: Ms Berejiklian drops me off and heads into town for a meeting
at State Parliament. Afterwards she will attend a campaign launch
in western Sydney. She won't get home until midnight but she is
not complaining.

Ms Berejiklian, who was previously the Commonwealth Bank's national
general manager, said it was tougher being a politician because the
job never stopped.

"But you learn to be courageous because if you aren't, you become
one of the pack," she said.

"Deep to my core I feel privileged to do what I'm doing."

#10 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

It is a sad commentary that some of these are obituaries. Are there any live not-yet-so famous Armenians?
Yet. Let us rejoice and celebrate his life of 105 years. He lived to the ripe old age of 105. Was his longevity due to his diet of garlic laden Aintab Lahmajun? :P :D

Posted Image

----
http://poststar.com/...1cc4c002e0.html

CONDEROGA - Henry H. Mouradian, D.D.S., 105, of Ticonderoga, N.Y., died on Wednesday, July 21, 2010, at Heritage Commons Residential Healthcare, after a short illness.
He is survived by his wife, Joyce (Schmeling) Mouradian, formerly of Rockford, Ill., to whom he married on Aug. 2, 1945; a son, William Mouradian, M.D. of Palos Verde, Calif.; a daughter, Wendy Mouradian Dethier, M.D. of Bellevue, Wash.; a sister, Grace Kilarjian of Freeport, N.Y.; six grandchildren, including Amanda Mouradian Darby, D.V.M. of Sugar Land, Texas; two great-grandchildren; one nephew; three nieces; and several cousins.
His two brothers, Albert Mouradian, M.D., of Key Biscayne, Fla. and James Mouradian, M.D. of White Plains, predeceased him.
Dr. Mouradian was born in Aintab ***, to the parents of Armenian descent on March 12, 1905, the son of Haroutune and Mariam (Koumrian) Mouradian.
He attended the German Elementary School and the American University in Beirut, Lebanon until 1920, when the family emigrated to the United States.
Dr. Mouradian graduated from the New York University College of Dentistry in 1929. He was in active practice in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, until 1973, when he and his wife moved to Ticonderoga. He was an associate with Dr. G. Peter Cook of Ticonderoga, until his retirement in 1985.
Dr. Mouradian was a life member of the Fourth District Dental Society and the New York Dental Association.
He and his wife went on a Medical Mission to the Dominican Republic in 1970, and again to Taiwan in 1975, with the Christian Medical Society. He loved to travel, having visited 37 countries on five continents. He spoke six languages.
He was very fond of all types of music especially chorale music and he and his wife were among the founders of the Champlain Valley Chorale of Ticonderoga in 1976. He was also a member of the Kiwanis of Ticonderoga.
He was an active member of the First United Methodist Church in Ticonderoga.
A memorial service will be held at a later date.
The family suggests that in lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be given to the First United Methodist Church, Wicker Street, Ticonderoga, NY 12883 or The Armenian Missionary Association of America, Inc., 31 West Century Road, Paramus, NJ 07652.

#11 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

Please!
My intent is not to reopen this highly charged, prejudicially biased debate about “orthography“, but to only add this that I had seen some time ago.
At which time Jan, 2007 in #27 our most conciliatory Johannes said this, not knowing if he was still alive. Apparently at the time he was;

Երկրորդ՝ ներողամտութիւն հայցենք գրքի հեղինակ, Գուրգէն Սարգսեանի հարազատներէն, որովհետեւ տարուեցանք նիւթով, եւ մոռացանք որ հեղինակը մեզնէ բաժանուած կարող է լինել: Ակներեւ գիրքը գրուած է, Հայաստանի դժուար, թէ թշուառ տարիներուն: Հեղինակի ջղային եւ յարձակողական ոճի պատճառը այստեղ պէտք է փնտռել:

Lest the site becomes extinct I will paste the entire bio.

http://www.armtown.c...304/2011030423/

ԳՈՒՐԳԵՆ ՊՈՂՈՍԻ ՍԱՐԳՍՅԱՆ
http://www.armtown.c..._2011030423.jpg
2011 թվականի փետրվարի 20-ին, 93 տարեկան հասակում, Լոս Անջելես քաղաքում իր մահկանացուն կնքեց բանասիրական գիտությունների թեկնածու, դոցենտ, հայրենանվեր գործիչ Գուրգեն Պողոսի Սարգսյանը:
Գուրգեն Պողոսի Սարգսյանը ծնվել է 1918 թվականին Պարսկաստանի Սավրա գյուղում` Մեծ եղեռնը վերապրած եւ գաղթի ճանապարհին երեք զավակներին կորցրած Պողոս եւ Խաթուն Սարգսյանների ընտանիքում: Նույն` 1918 թվականին Սարգսյանների ընտանիքը Պարսկաստան գաղթած վասպուրականցիների հետ տեղափոխվում է Իրաք, հաստատվում Բաքուբա գյուղաքաղաքի բնակավայրերից մեկում: Գուրգենը գրաճանաչություն է սովորում տեղի հայկական եկեղեցուն կից բացված նախակրթարանում, այնուհետեւ սովորում է Բաղդադի ամերիկյան միջնակարգ դպրոցում, որն ավարտելուց հետո աշխատանքի է անցնում անգլիական նավթային ընկերություններում…:1946 թվականին Գուրգեն Սարգսյանը հայրենադարձների առաջին շարքերում ներգաղթում է Խորհրդային Հայաստան: Նա իր հետ հայրենիք է բերում մորը եւ երկու եղբայրներին: Երեւանում Գուրգենը սովորում է պետական համալսարանի հայկական բանասիրական ֆակուլտետում, որն ավարտելուց հետո աշխատանքի է անցնում` որպես հայոց լեզվի եւ գրականության ուսուցիչ Երեւանի միջնակարգ դպրոցներում, իսկ 1961 թվականից` որպես անգլերեն լեզվի դասախոս պոլիտեխնիկական ինստիտուտում: Այստեղ էլ պաշտպանում է գիտական թեկնածուական թեզ եւ ստանում դոցենտի գիտական կոչում:
Հանգամանքների բերումով Գուրգեն Սարգսյանը 1991 թվականին մշտական բնակության է մեկնում Միացյալ Նահանգներ եւ հաստատվում դստեր` Ծովինարի ընտանիքի կողքին:
Շուրջ քսան տարի Գուրգեն Պողոսյանը ապրում է Հոլիվուդում. նա ոչ թե ծերունական հանգիստ էր վայելում, այլ անխոնջ աշխատում էր եւ հայրենանվեր գործեր ձեռնարկում: 1973 թվականին լույս էր տեսել նրա «Մարաթոնյան վազք» աշխատությունը, իսկ 1993 թվականին լույս է տեսնում «Օլիմպիական խաղերի ատլետիկական մրցումների պատմությունը» գիրքը: 1995 թվականին Գուրգեն Սարգսյանի թարգմանությամբ հրատարակվում է Հենրի Գեյթսի «Հոշոտված Հայաստան» (կամ «Հոգիների աճուրդը») վեպը: 1996 թվականին նա հրատարակում է «Անգլերենից փոխառնված բառերն ու տերմինները արդի հայերենում» աշխատությունը, 1999-ին լույս է տեսնում «Նոր արեւապաշտներ» պատմվածքների ժողովածուն, իսկ 2002 թվականին «Ուղղագրության բարեփոխությունը պատմական անհրաժեշտություն էր» ուսումնասիրությունը: Նրա թարգմանությամբ 2003 թվականին լույս է տեսնում Էդուարդ Լիթլի «Հայկական հարցը» գրքույկը, նույն թվականին հրատարակվում է «Գրական հույզեր» գրաքննադատական, իսկ 2005 թվականինՙ «Հին ու նոր ցավեր» պատմվածքների ծողովածուները:
Իր ծննդյան 90-ամյակին նվիրված հոբելյանական երեկոյից հետո Գուրգեն Սարգսյանի սիրտը տեղի է տալիս, սակայն բժիշկների կանխատեսմանը հակառակ` նա ապրում է եւս երեք տարի, ապրում է միանգամայն լեցուն կյանքով` անգլերենից հայերեն թարգմանելով Ստալինգրադյան ճակատամարտին նվիրված 400-էջանոց ծավալուն ստեղծագործությունը: Գրքի ձեռագիրը պատրաստ է տպագրության: Անավարտ է մնացել իր լավ բարեկամ, աստղագետ, ակադեմիկոս Գրիգոր Գուրզադյանի կյանքին ու գուրծունեությանը նվիրված աշխատությունը:
Հանգուցյալի ցանկությամբ` նրա աճյունը երկար ճանապարհ է կտրել. Լոս Անջելեսից տեղախոխվել է Երեւան, որպեսզի մշտական հանգրվան գտնի հայրենի հողում` իր տիկնոջ կողքի

#12 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

BTW. Have I said a million times that I hate this so called new and improved HyForum Format? Please allow me to say it again. I HATE THIS SO CALLED NEW AND IMPROVED FORMAT!! Where we
cannot separate quotes from new comments and additions.
====
FALSE NAMES- ԿԵՂԾԱՆՈՒՆ or PENNAME- ԳՐՉԱՆՈՒՆ ??

Գրական կեղծանուններ
The above title “Literary False Names” is misleading at best. My choice of words would be makanoun/nickname, tsatskanouun/ secret name, but above all krchanoun/penname.

http://hy.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D4%BF%D5%A1%D5%BF%D5%A5%D5%A3%D5%B8%D6%80%D5%AB%D5%A1:%D4%B3%D6%80%D5%A1%D5%AF%D5%A1%D5%B6_%D5%AF%D5%A5%D5%B2%D5%AE%D5%A1%D5%B6%D5%B8%D6%82%D5%B6%D5%B6%D5%A5%D6%80

Above here are a few surprises and omissions.
Surprises. -We have known the birth family names of many of our literary .luminaries, but never see the the birth suranems of the likes of Perch Proshian TerAraqelian or Vahan Terian TerGrigorian. And many more.
Omissions.-Among many incomplete and erroneous entries is the omission that Gurgen Mahari was born in the family of Grigor Ajemian. The most obvious omission is that Daniel Varouzhan was born(1884) under the roof of Grigor Chbukiarian and Takouhi Baghtikian **
**Just like Petros Dourian (zumbayan)/chisel) That furkish word is onomatopoeic (bnadzayn) based on the sound of hitting the chisel, much like “cis bumba”.

***Daniel had also abandoned his furko-persian family name (Chboukiarian/(smoking) pipe maker). Se also Ruben (chilingirian) Sevak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0xFJR4iuMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK8XHULfllo&feature=related

PS. This list is incomplete. Please add.
====
1Cor.13
[1] Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

http://kendimian.com/Bible/Kor1.html

13 Եթէ խօսեմ մարդկանց լեզուները և հրեշտակներինը, բայց սէր չունենամ, կը նմանուեմ ﬕ պղնձի, որ հնչում է, կամ՝ ծնծղաների, որ ղօղանջում են:
Verse: 1 Եթէ զլեզուս մարդկան խօսիցիմ եւ զհրեշտակաց, եւ սէր ո́չ ունիցիմ, եղէ ես իբրեւ զպղինձ որ հնչէ, կամ իբրեւ զծնծղայս որ ղաւղաջեն

Edited by Arpa, 21 October 2012 - 10:04 AM.

#13 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

I agree with you, Arpa. Not a fan of the new format at all. I miss the quote boxes.

#14 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

I agree with you, Arpa. Not a fan of the new format at all. I miss the quote boxes.

Are you saying you're unable to do this?

#15 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Are you saying you're unable to do this?

Does this work for archived posts as well?

Archived posts used to have the quote boxes but last time I checked, they didn't.

#16 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

OK! All you our omnipotent, all powerful, amenazor and omniscient, all knowing, amenaget mods and ads please go beck up to my post# 2, edit and correct it, and in the process tell us what it is that I did wrong, aside from the fact that it has been established that I am an idiot. Why did the URL site about pennames turn to chicken scratch and the youtube videos turned to GARBAGE!!!.??
Is it we are damned if we don't activate the HTML and double damned if we do?
It is obvious that the systems needs some fine tuning. Don't ask me how.
Remember that Ia am an idiot when it comes cyber-science. :goof: :jester:

Edited by Arpa, 02 November 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#17 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Does this work for archived posts as well?

Archived posts used to have the quote boxes but last time I checked, they didn't.

As far as I know with my limited computer knowledge, when a forum gets updated certain command functions are not functional due to new language of the new programing. Having said that we can't leave any forum format with an old language programing because it will not work with the new computers that are coming in. Therefore with every update we lose some of the old posts functionality but we gain lots of new positive functions.
Now I know what you meant by not having the old posts quotations in a box. :)

#18 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

HARUT’S SHOE REPAIR

http://4.bp.blogspot...tilettoshoe.jpg

A good story
Is this our own Harut? :)

http://o3.aolcdn.com...fce63737824b167

Harut’s Shoe Repair: Enriching Eagle Rock Since 1980
Harut fixes broken heels and handbags and has a knack for sending customers off “feeling like a million bucks.”
Harut has been running a one-man's-show at Harut's Shoe Repair since 1980.
I love Harut. He will patch your crappy old favorite shoes and re-heel your boots and put new leather straps on your handbags and proudly explain to you how he did it. He'll show you pictures of his family (including one of Mike Tyson holding his baby grandson), give you lots of big warm bear hugs and sloppy old man kisses and send you on your way feeling like a million bucks.”
That’s how one of the 15 reviews on Yelp for Harut’s Shoe Repair starts out, vividly highlighting why this “old-fashioned service [is] so rare these days.” Located roughly midway on the block of Eagle Rock Boulevard immediately south of Swork, Harut’s Shoe Repair has been an Eagle Rock favorite since it first opened in 1980.
Eagle Rock Patch stopped by on Thursday to ask the store's owner, referred to fondly as only Harut, about his 32 years fixing broken heels and handbags while offering free psychological therapy to customers, not all of whom are his admirers.
Harut recently returned from a month-long trip to his native Armenia—his first since he emigrated to the United States nearly 35 years ago. Here’s what he told Patch:
"I was born in Israel in 1947 [while it was still Palestine] because my grandfather went there after the Armenian Genocide. My father had five brothers, and he moved to Armenia when I was four months old. But all my uncles and cousins stayed in Israel. Later, some of them went to Jordan, Lebanon, America—everywhere.
"When I came to America in January 1978, we didn’t take one penny—no welfare, no nothing from the government. Even though for a month and a half we only had bread and tea. Thanks to God, my children grew up and I am proud of them. My son was born here. He got two Master’s degrees and works for the City now. My daughter is a manager in a doctor’s office.
"I turned 65 years old recently. Every nine months I go to the doctor to get my heart checked because I have heart trouble. I also have diabetes and back pain. The doctor said my heart is fine and that I can travel. When I came home, my wife told me: ‘Your heart is okay, then we have to go.’ I said, where? She said, to Armenia.
"I had been telling my wife for the past three or four years that I want to see Armenia before I die. I didn’t expect that she was going to do something like that, and at first, I didn’t believe it. I said, are you kidding? I didn’t think we had enough money. But my wife put it away (laughs). And she made me a surprise.
"I didn’t have any relatives in Armenia. But I had family friends—and good memories—and that’s why I went back there after 35 years. I went everywhere. I lived there 30 years and had not been to the areas where I went now. I am very happy. My wife was very happy, too. I hope we’re going to have more life and more chances to go see Armenia again.
"It’s a very small country but it has natural beauty. It’s just unbelievable. The mountains have different colors from the mountains here. I’m going to say to everybody in the world, if they have a chance—go to see Armenia."
About this column: This new column is dedicated to recording and transcribing interviews with prominent Eagle Rockers so that their memories about themselves, their families and events important to them can be preserved.
Have you been a customer at Harut's? What's your experience there been like?

Edited by Arpa, 11 November 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#19 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

The above story is from here;

http://eaglerock.pat...rock-since-1980

#20 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

The current issue of the periodical Armenia Fund USA features Norair Deirmengian, aka Norman Miller.

This is eerie. In high school I had a classmate George Deirmenjian, a very bright student who became a successful engineer in his own right, and an American teacher George Miller who knew that deiirmenjian meant miller, and they would address one another by those names. **

See how Norair Deirmenjian amended his furkish surname to be known as Norman Miller in public.
See the whole article here;
http://www.reporter....-philanthropist

http://www.reporter....illerHiRes1.jpg

Norair K. Deirmengian, 1914–2009. Philadelphia - After a short period of illness, Norair Karekin Deirmengian, also known as Norman K. Miller, went to meet his maker on January 19 after a brief period of illness. He is survived by his wife of 59 years, Virginia, their five children, two daughters-in-law, one son-in-law and ten grandchildren. He was a loving and inspirational husband, father, grandfather and mentor. Always smiling, always offering a helping hand, he touched the lives of everyone he met.
Norair was born in 1914 in Kasken Maden, near Bolis,*** while his mother was fleeing the Armenian Genocide along with her two young sons. His father had been killed prior to his birth. His mother found refuge for the family in Romania, where Norair was placed in an orphanage. Norair excelled academically and was sent to Murat Rafael Armenian College Preparatory School in Venice, Italy. After graduating in 1935, he emigrated to the United States where he was reunited with his family and enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.
Norman was thankful for the freedoms found in his new country. Not yet a citizen, in 1941, he enlisted in the U.S. Army. He was sent to the South Pacific where he played instrumental roles in the Battle of Layte and the Guadalcanal Campaign. During his service, he showed his inventive talents by developing a method of cushioning military tank interiors to prevent injuries and was issued a commendation for creating a method to repair and improvement the Reisling gun.
He returned to Philadelphia to start a manufacturing business with his two brothers. Originally known as Miller Brothers, Miller Edge grew to become an industry leader in safeguarding for motorized doors, gates and automated machinery markets. Under his leadership, Miller Edge was issued over 100 patents in the U.S. and abroad. He was recognized multiple times for his professional achievements. In 1991, Norman received the Distinguished Service Award from the Door & Operator Dealers Association honoring his personal achievements. In 1998, Miller Edge received the International Door Association Industry Service Award. In 2007, he received the International Door Association Humanitarian Award.

** http://staff.aub.edu...7/article42.htm
*** Please pardon me. Maden is not near Bolis. It is/was a suburb of Kharberd. You can still see it on the map.
http://www.adiyamanl...bhtml/c_7_1.htm
See also this;
http://asbarez.com/9...ateway-program/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users