74 replies to this topic

#1 Em

Em

Em

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:04 AM

I have been wondering about the following for a while now. I would like to know your opinions …..

Do you think you will return to Armenia in your lifetime and reside there? Do you think you can just pick up and leave the reality you have been living for however long you have been living it?
If you consider that you are an “otar” of whichever country you are a resident of, do you not feel a desire (however slight or great) to return to your homeland?
Ani wrote in one of her poems that we have all been pulled from our roots and tossed to the winds which have carried us to a forest we are not natives to. Thus, we do not bloom and grow to the full height of our potential. The heartache and longing of “home” has broken the heart of the tree…
But how well would we do in our homeland? What if we don’t belong, what if we have naturally changed our skin and the natives do not accept us as one of their own?

I left my childhood in Armenia. I have such a great longing for the Armenia of my past that I fear that I will be heartbroken upon my return. SO much has changed..I have changed.

And yet I see myself 20 or maybe 30 years from now retiring in a nice, small 2 bedroom apartment in the heart of Yerevan. I look to this as the destination and everything I do in between as a means to an end.
Some tell me that I should forget about it. They say that there is no way I would live there after spending over 2/3 of my life in L.A. (At this point in time..)

Inch ek kartsum? Duq het ketaq? Inchu?

Edited by Em124, 11 February 2008 - 03:05 PM.

#2 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:50 AM

Getting used to the new forest was one of the challenging things in my life. I still haven't fully adopted to the the new environment, even after living over a decade in the new forest. I don't think returning would be harder then leaving. We still have our house in Yerevan, most of the relatives from both sides of the family are still there. If I were to return as a retiree it would probably be to Yeghegnadzor or Shushi.

#3 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Em124 @ Feb 9 2008, 12:04 AM)
I have been wondering about the following for a while now. I would like to know your opinions …..

Do you think you will return to Armenia in your lifetime and reside there? Do you think you can just pick up and leave the reality you have been living for however long you have been living it?

we have 4 Family friends that have moved to Armenia and one more friend who is going back as soon as he has child is born, i say yes i might

If you consider that you are an “otar” of whichever country you are a resident of, do you not feel a desire (however slight or great) to return to your homeland?

i don't consider my self an odar smile.gif

Ani wrote in one of her poems that we have all been pulled from our roots and tossed to the winds which have carried us to a forest we are not natives to. Thus, we do not bloom and grow to the full heiht of our potential. The heartache and longing of “home” has broken the heart of the tree…

i was 18 wan i left Soviet Armenia - it was best time of my life that i look back to, and most of the time that's the part that &*^%*&^% me up - life was good apricot.gif no work, no business, no responsibilities....
Then i found my self in a new country .......

But how well would we do in our homeland? What if we don’t belong, what if we have naturally changed our skin and the natives do not accept us as one of their own?

we have changed as much as our homeland or our brothers and sisters have changed
What if we don’t belong ??? well we do apricot.gif

Bing accepted - many of us are not, it's not our own fault, just because your family had to relocate do to sum *&^*(& communist or a regime.
some will never accept us just like the last time their predecessors did never accept ours. but thats one another topic .

i have seen so many Armenians who are visiting Armenian to show offff, going back and showing offfff w/t Bling Blings and expensive clothing, valet full of credit cards and stories haw he / she has embezzled money form this or that bank and or the government
i'm not even going to talk about their behavior, frequent visits to TSghotner ...... and bragging afterwords how and haw many girls he had in this or that ObYekt... AxPer t@j@tsrinq erevan@ Kayfer... now haw many locals are going to accept us ?? not many do...

And yet I see myself 20 or maybe 30 years from now retiring in a nice, small 2 bedroom apartment in the heart of Yerevan. I look to this as the destination and everything I do in between as a means to an end.

many people do - some of our relatives have a place in Yerevan, some still have the "Dachas", some are in proses of buying a new apartments or flat in Yerevan, each one has the same idea, i will go back, i'm going back, i wish for my own place in Yerevan.... but in realty none of them can ( $ ) even visit Yerevan every year

Some tell me that I should forget about it. They say that there is no way I would live there after spending over 2/3 of my life in L.A. (At this point in time..)

no don;t forget, you are an Armenian and have every right to be in Armenia,

#4 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

Inch ek kartsum? Duq het ketaq? Inchu?

I believe almost everybody (at least those who were born in Armenia) ponders over this question - some more seriously than others. And I think it is very natural to do so. Why wouldn't you want to go back? As Ani has stated (and many authors before her) ... that's where are roots are ... that's where we naturally belong. But it cannot be easy to return for obvious reasons - having lived outside of Armenia for so long (even 5 years is long if you ask me) you get used to a different life style. So the question becomes - is that learned life style so precious that you will not want to give up? For some - it really is. They don't feel "odar" ... they very much feel American (or Canadian, etc) and they are content with what they have. On the other hand there are those who (regardless of how many years they have lived in X country) continue to feel "odar" and sort of out of place. People who surround them might very well be treating them like a "native" and might not even have the faintest idea that this person really really feels out of place ... but deep inside that is how they feel.

Thus, if you are willing to adopt a new life style (that of current Armenia) ... and have a clear idea of how you would be supporting yourself - there should be nothing stopping you.

Will I return? The answer is a YES without a doubt. Why haven't I done so already? Good question. I haven't had the courage ... to inflict that wretched feeling upon my parents (especially my mother) - KAROT. As a single person my loyalties lay primarily with my parents. Now, as a married woman, they are with my husband. Thus, as soon as he gets fed up with "the land of the free" (which does not seem to be too far away) ... I will pack my bags and say "adios." "What about your parents?" you may ask. Of course they will still miss me, as I will miss them ... but they will understand ... it will be different. My return will have a higher purpose - to save my children of the fate of a "spyurqahay."

Edited by Sulamita, 09 February 2008 - 07:21 PM.

#5 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

In the past 10 years I have heard too many people saying that they won't be able to live in Armenia, after being adopted to the life in the US. Most of them were women - no offense to our ladies in the forum!!! I have always been fighting and arguing with them and up untill today I say and will do whatever it takes to move back to Armenia!
Before moving to Armenia I have several things that I need to accomplish in here. Most of all I strongly believe that you must have enough money to survive for at least 5 years in armenia untill we adopt back to the life over there and untill we find our way of making money and living. Do trust me, as soon as I get my chance I am moving back, even if it would means to loose my residency in the US. I still have not adopted to the US and will never adopt to it.

ANMAH ANKAX HAYASTAN!!!
LONG LIVE ARMENIA!!!
VIVA LA ARMENIA!!!

#6 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Feb 9 2008, 05:18 PM)
Will I return? The answer is a YES without a doubt. Why haven't I done so already? Good question. I haven't had the courage ... to inflict that wretched feeling upon my parents (especially my mother) - KAROT. As a single person my loyalties lay primarily with my parents. Now, as a married woman, they are with my husband. Thus, as soon as he gets fed up with "the land of the free" (which does not seem to be too far away) ... I will pack my bags and say "adios." "What about your parents?" you may ask. Of course they will still miss me, as I will miss them ... but they will understand ... it will be different. My return will have a higher purpose - to save my children of the fate of a "spyurqahay."

I think the issue is not of baring the name of SPYURQAHAY, HAY always is a HAY, whether it's a spyurqahay or any type of HAY!!! The issue in here is - are we able to raise them as HAY? Are we able to raise them to be as proud of Armenia as we are? Will they keep their Armenianness? There are more isues to this rather then being called a spyurqahay!!!

The way things are going in the world, Armenians have to migrate back to Armenia to save their children, the total oposite of what was going on some years ago!!!

Sulamita jan, I am so proud of you and women that think like you, that is not even funny!!!
I tried to translate this sentece several ways but it's better in Armenian, otherwise it would be a missunderstanding - QO TCHAKAT@ PACHELUA!!!

Edited by Ashot, 09 February 2008 - 08:33 PM.

#7 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Ashot @ Feb 9 2008, 06:32 PM)
I think the issue is not of baring the name of SPYURQAHAY, HAY always is a HAY, whether it's a spyurqahay or any type of HAY!!! The issue in here is - are we able to raise them as HAY? Are we able to raise them to be as proud of Armenia as we are? Will they keep their Armenianness? There are more isues to this rather then being called a spyurqahay!!!

The way things are going in the world, Armenians have to migrate back to Armenia to save their children, the total oposite of what was going on some years ago!!!

Sulamita jan, I am so proud of you and women that think like you, that is not even funny!!!

Ashot ... I never said being called a "spyurqahay" is my main concern. It is not even a concern. My concern is the FATE of a spyurqahay (the knowledge of being a "otar" ... of belonging somewhere else). And knowing me, my child will be raised HAY, he/she will be proud of his/her heritage, will keep his/her Armeniannes. Thus, he/she will suffer the FATE of a spyurqahay ... the immense longing for motherland. I just want to spare him/her all that emotional burden.

Edited by Sulamita, 10 February 2008 - 03:27 PM.

#8 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:42 PM

I just can't wait long enough untill the time comes, when I pack my bags and go back... soon, very soon!!!

#9 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

For all those who wish to return to Armenia

http://www.backtoarmenia.com/

#10 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

How long have you been reading that article Avo, be honest!!! lol

Thanks for the link!

#11 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

just finished reading smile.gif

#12 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

They have a YouTube channel as well

http://youtube.com/user/BacktoArmenia

#13 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:00 PM

isk kanedjer ov tsyts en talis te Hayreniq veradartsogh kam - Hayrenik mshtakan b@nakutyan gntsogh HAyer@ inch baxti en arjananum, mi qani tary araj - 1 jamanots mi tsragor kar nayetsy, mardu g@lxits inch ases cher antsel, xerj@ el vpoch $$ uner dimanalu vpch el hamperutyun xndrum er vro iren toghenn het IRAQ gna - geradasum er paterazmogh Iraq@ - xaghar Hayreniqits, @~3 tarva mej nuynisk bnakchutyan iravunq cher karroghatsel dzerq berel, uner 2 pastaban ov iren "ognum" eyin

ehhhhhh .... 46 tvakanin Sirya / Libanan averli sirun filmer eyin tsuyts talis HAyreniqi hamar...
joghovurd@ gnats / heto i nch yeghav ??

#14 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (AVO @ Feb 10 2008, 05:28 PM)
For all those who wish to return to Armenia

http://www.backtoarmenia.com/

Wow, I never dreamed of such sites! I love the internet! Do you know who's behind the site/sponsor?

#15 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

Yes, I see myself living in Armenia eventually. I don't know how soon that will become a reality, if that happens in ten years or thirty-five years, but I do believe that eventually I'll move back to Armenia and reside there.

All of us who left Armenia did so because there was no means to make a living there. So naturally, when we do go back we have to be prepared to support ourselves and contribute to Armenia's economy.

#16 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

sponsored by EU

Harshly speaking, they want us to go back to where we came from.

Sadly the target audience are the illegal immigrants of the EU. Not the citizens.

Edited by AVO, 11 February 2008 - 01:39 PM.

#17 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (AVO @ Feb 11 2008, 11:37 AM)
sponsored by EU

Harshly speaking, they want us to go back to where we came from.

Sadly the target audience are the illegal immigrants of the EU. Not the citizens.

Well, it's still fine, isn't it?

#18 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

Sure. Out of all the countries Armenia could use this program to her advantage.

#19 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:06 AM

I am where I am for more than 7 years, and the process of getting used to the new environment, people, lifestyle is still in process…It slowed down a little, but I still do not belong here…I came here when I was 18…With pretty unbending views on life and reality…It was very hard to adapt…

Well, it is weird, but when I went back to Yerevan in 05, what I learned was the most painful thing…I found out that I do not belong there either…
It is easy to make decisions when it is only about yourself…But when there are children present it gets more complicated…We have that talk in my family sometimes (not very often)…Among many other issues is how are we gonna support ourselves, even though it doesn’t look good in the patriotic talk, but still a major issue…

Also, If we decide to go back it has to be NOW, until my children are too young to realize that they are citizens of the “most powerful and important part of the universe, and that the rest of the world does not matter”…Later it is gonna be difficult…I don’t mind dragging them, but it is gonna affect their emotional state…
My family will always be very much attached to Armenia, because part of my family is and going to stay there (ignoring the fact that I am extremely frightened by the 18 hour flight msn-cry.gif )…But I wish I will have the strength to wait until my family decides to move back…

#20 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:45 AM

ANI, that's the most interesting issue though, isn't it? To feel that you don't completely belong here yet you realize that you don't belong in Armenia either. I don't think that feeling will ever go away because you, me and others who came to this country at an older age will always have that comparison with the homeland in mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users