• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2000 - 03:53 AM

Surprised?
Ha, ha, ha...
Yes, sure, what can be between the Rabis (RABochee ISskustvo-abrv. from russian) and the English 70-s hard rock. There is smth. I'll wait for your comments.
Arazhm

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2000 - 08:39 AM

No comments? OK I'll go on.
In fact Rabiz has nothing to do with mafioso style Hayastacis whom you see in Glendale nowadays. Their way of acting is more connected with Goghagan (theif by law) code. I meen all those gangs and everything. Not all the Goghagans are Rabiz, and not all the Rabiz are Goghagans.
Lets talk about Rabiz at first.
It started in 60-s somewhere in Erorrd Mas district in Yerevan. At first it was just the mixture of Armenian, Turkish and Russian music on marrige parties. Then there was a huge influence from the Indian movies of 70-s in the "Hayastan" cinema house of Erorrd Mas. The most popular movies there were Rajkapour's (not sure) "The king of jungles" and "The disco dancer". The influence was so strong that people started calling that district Hndkastan (India). Than came the Beatles and Rolling Stones fashion of clothes, and the Rabizes started wearing high heel shoes, jeans and colored shirts. Sure, all this was also mixed with traditional Armenian gold chains and crosses. Because the Erorrd Mas district was mainly populated with worker families, the Russian speaking intelligentsia started calling the style RABochee (worker) ISskustvo (art), or lumpen-art. Then came the Deep Purple. Somehow the song "Smoke on the water" managed to become a hit among the Rabiz(I still can't get how). And after that they became fond of the group and all of their songs. The question "Smovkondevoter@ lsel es azz?" was instead of usual "Barev" for greating.
In fact Aram Asatrian is only some reminescent of the original rabiz style.
I went to Ian Gillan concert in Yerevan in 1989. The most part of the audience were the rabizes of 60-s and 70-s. At first I thought smth. was wrong with the composition of the audience. I mean there where only 10 or 20 rockers and a huge mass of rabizes, the real ones. They where all 40-45 years old, but after the first three accords of "Smovkondevoter" I understood that that was the right audience. Ian Gillans first remark was "Woooooooow!".

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2000 - 10:34 AM

LOL..I totally remember yerrord masi hndkakan kinonere...I'm proud to say I've only been there once..lol

Baits Berj, wasn't "rabochee iskustvo" a term coined to describe music/art/etc after the russian revolution? My understanding was that after the revolution, the artists who prior to the revolution mostly came from the upper classes became extinct as a group, and the art created afterwards had to be created by the working classes. Hence, rabochee iskustvo. Then the term was applied to armos, as you describe, later. This is only my understanding of it all. Please feel free to correct me on this (as opposed to other things..lol..joking, joking). But seriously, I'd like to know.

Gayane

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2000 - 05:20 AM

As far as I know, the word "Rabiz" (note: it's with a "Z" not "S"!!!) is Turkish.
It means something like "tasteless" or "out of fashion"
Correct me if i'm wrong.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2000 - 05:26 AM

Yes, Gayane, in the years after the 1917 revolution the term "rabochee isskustvo" was applied to the "art of the working class". But, in those times it ment something good and advanced, while in 60-s Armenia the abrv. RabIs had a sarcastic flavour. The fact that it became an abrv. already speaks for itself.
Arayzhm

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2000 - 05:48 AM

Nvard jan,
Maybe there is an interpretation of "Rabiz" in turkish, which I haven't come across. However I don't think it means anything in turkish. And also the term "Rabiz" originated in Armenia, and basing on this I can't see a social class in 60-s Armenia, which would use a turkish word to describe that. If only the rabizes themselves, but they would never call themselves tasteless or out of fashion.
There is a possibility that the term was initially used by Armenian repatriants of 1939-47 from the Middle East who spoke turkish, in this case we need somebody who speaks turkish and will give the exact translation.
What I posted here is a general interpretation of "Rabiz" among my friends, but maybe we've got the wrong info.
Arayzhm

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2000 - 04:24 AM

Berj jan!
I asked my dad. He is 45.He told me that back in his "young" days they used to call everything or everybody that looked weird - "Rabiz".I guess you know how it is in Armenia: everything that is weird - is out of fashion or tasteless!!
he also mentioned that the word is actually turkish...who knows..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users