35 replies to this topic

#21 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 08:34 AM

Brazilians always display power AND finesse (what more does one ask for when watching soccer?), and they have won the World Cup several times - you could almost call it a tradition (what more does it take to be "good"?).

#22 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 11:58 AM

One thing is for sure... It was GREAT to see the cocky French get their butts wiped.
After they won the previous cup, all we heard was ALLEZ LES BLEUS etc. etc. etc. Boy, it really went to their heads. Well, they got a reality check.

Me too, me too!! :thumbsup:

Yea, I enjoyed the Koreans' game too! B)

#23 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 03 May 2003 - 06:48 PM

The Koreans had some flair, but didnt deserve to get past the second round (Italy) match IMO. :angry:

Edited by Accelerated, 03 May 2003 - 06:50 PM.

#24 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 04:41 AM

Manchester United has secured the English Premier League Championship after the shock loss of Arsenal 3:2 to Leeds United at home. Read Madrid is also looking shaky for the Spanish Cup after getting thrashed 5:1.

#25 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 07:10 AM

Ahhhh Real Madrid 1-5 :lol: I bet they're still pretty good. :lol2:

#26 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 06:40 PM

Watch Real beat Juventus at home 2:1 yesterday. Pretty ordinary game actually, except for some flashes of brilliance mostly from Real players (both teams were missing key players). The away game should be interesting. AC Milan has allready played Inter in the other semi, dont know what the outcome was.

#27 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 06:48 PM

Watch Real beat Juventus at home 2:1 yesterday. Pretty ordinary game actually, except for some flashes of brilliance mostly from Real players (both teams were missing key players). The away game should be interesting. AC Milan has allready played Inter in the other semi, dont know what the outcome was.

I haven't seen the game, but I read that both Real goals were scored by two really really boring players. ;) :rolleyes:

#28 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 12:26 PM

Hahahhahha, Réal Madrid is OUT!!!!!!!!!! :lol2:

Go Juventus!!! :D

#29 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 07:40 PM

Well.....its too bad really. That strike by Nedved (3rd Juve goal) was just AWESOME!

#30 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 17 May 2003 - 08:29 PM

That strike by Nedved (3rd Juve goal) was just AWESOME!

Yes it was!!!!! :lol:

W00000000000000t!!! Réal Madrid is out!!!!!!! By the "sissy" Italians?! W0000000000000000t! :lol2:

#31 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:49 PM

Dan,

English football is boring to watch, you will hardly ever see any flashy goals by English teams (including the national team), most are scorred from crosses or by chance (ball happens to fall in the right place). The only English Premier League team worth watching is Arsenal: mainly thanks to the likes of Henry and Pires - though theyve been goen badly latelly, dont know why.

sorry, i have to disagree with you there.

maybe fifteen years ago this was the case, but with the advent of the Premiership the football has changed dramatically. the englsih game is the most attack minded and passionate of all european leaugues. the atmospheres in the grounds are also better in my opinion, allthough you have to go to see the lower placed teams to get the real atmosphere.

i'm a Crystal Palace season ticket holder, who are a team i doubt many of you will have heard of. we're from south london and are in Division One, which is one league below the Premiership. we beat Liverpool in the Fa cup at Anfield (their ground)this year, other than that it's been pretty dire, with an utterly incompetent manager finally being thankfully sacked towards the end of the season.

Youri Djorkaeff is the only Armenian i know of playing in england - he's total class, he has a wonderfull technique. although some one told me Arsene Wenger (arsenals manager) is part armenian - that would explain the high IQ and ability to speak six different languages then.

#32 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:54 PM

The English league is the most exciting league in the world, IMO. And I love the fans' excitement and the atmosphere! I've never been there personally (although i wish I were!), but when I watch it on TV even, the fans are not dead (unlike in France or in Italy). The German league is pretty good too. And don't get me started on the French league. They hardly have any competent teams. :lol:

Go Newcastle Untd!!!!!

#33 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 06:21 PM

Well we've all got our opinions, and I think Im going to stick with mine.

#34 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 11:32 AM

The English league is the most exciting league in the world, IMO. And I love the fans' excitement and the atmosphere! I've never been there personally (although i wish I were!), but when I watch it on TV even, the fans are not dead (unlike in France or in Italy). The German league is pretty good too. And don't get me started on the French league. They hardly have any competent teams. :lol:

Go Newcastle Untd!!!!!

defiantely agree with you there dan.

the atmospheres you get in Italy are totally different - the hardcore fans (or 'ultras' as they call themselves) have a leader who has a megaphone and 'conducts' the singing. it doesnt have the spontaniety or humour that you get on a good hot blooded English game.

newcastle vs sunderland, liverpool vs man utd, arsenal vs tottenham, even Palace vs Millwall - games where you get real passion (or hatred in some cases). cant see the french mustering much passion for anything other than red wine and Benny Hill re-runs ;)

agree that the english national team does play a particulary unimaginative fashion - this is due to the sven the swede, who although is very intelligent and suave, does tend to prefer a long ball game.

#35 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 08:41 PM

I don't find anything unappealing in the English National team's style of play. :blink: On the contrary, I think the Brazilian style is much more reliant on fast breaks due to an unexpected chance or breakdown in defence. They don't make their own chances - they just use the holes, and that's why their games are boring, IMO. :)

#36 Ararat-73

Ararat-73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Science, Internet

Posted 28 June 2003 - 05:02 PM

What a wonderfull surprise from harut who seems an expert in football.
Yes Harut, you're right about Ararat-73 and Ajax 95-98.
I would add Brazil 70, England 66, Holland 88 and France 84.
France 98 is not as good as France 84. They won only because other countries were very weak and because of their physical strength. But no tactics as, for instance, Brazil 70 and their double acceleration or Ararat-73 with their perpetual movement and without ball playing and their quick moves on the wings and passes back in front of the adverse goal. I think Ararat-73 is a school of football. Unfortunately, the actual Armenian National Squad is not as technical and especially tactical as Ararat-73. Even their last week match against Ukraine is not as expected. I saw the the whole film of the match few days after the match as Suren Baghdassarian sent it to me and telling that this match was even better than Ararat-73's.
I'm deeply sorry to say that someone like Suren has already forgotten the style and the play of Ararat-73.
If you want me to compare, I'd say that Ararat-73 could easily beat the actual Armenian selection. How can one forget the terrible shootings from 30 m. of Zanazanian, Bondarenko, Andreassian, Ishtoyan "yev ilan"... How can they forget the rocket Kazarian with his 10"8/10 on 100m., Petrossian's moovings and dribbling like the sea waves as well on right or left wing, the half backs Kevorkian's and Mesrobian's mooving on the wings combinating with the real left and right wingers and with the center forward Markarov........
As for France 84, I think that team was the best France ever had.
Holland 88 was total football of Ajax of the seventies with Cruyff and compagny.
One can say very much about different style of football, but I really didn't find until now a better and complete team as Ararat-73. It's my dream team
Parevner. Aharon Boyadjian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users