• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

Anyone know the meaning of “sambo”?
http://www.panorama....10/07/17/sambo/

President attends opening of 1st International Youth Sambo Tournament
President Serzh Sargsyan attended the opening ceremony of the First International Youth Sambo Tournament in “Mika” sports complex in Yerevan. The tournament is dedicated to the 65th anniversary of the victory in Great Patriotic War and is held in memory of the USSR hero, pilot Nelson Stepanyan, President’s press office reported.

--
Sambo?
I thought that word to mean “little black boy” was banned based on the following.

Little Black Sambo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Story of Little Black Sambo

The Story of Little Black Sambo, a children's book by Helen Bannerman, a Scot who lived for 32 years in Madras in southern India, was first published in London in 1899. (An American edition of the book was illustrated by Florence White Williams.) In the tale, an Indian boy named Sambo prevails over a group of hungry tigers. The little boy has to give his colourful new clothes, shoes, and umbrella to four tigers so they will not eat him. Sambo recovers the clothes when the jealous, conceited tigers chase each other around a tree until they are reduced to a pool of delicious melted butter.[1] The story was a children's favourite for half a century, but then became controversial due to the use of the word sambo, a racial slur in some countries,[2] and the illustrations, which
http://www.flickr.co...ary/1443302617/

#2 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

Sambo (Russian: самбо; САМозащита Без Оружия), in the USA also called Sombo, is an acronym for SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya which means "self-defense without weapons", in Russia, is a martial art and combat sport. It is considered relatively modern since its development began in 1920's by the Soviet Red Army to improve their hand to hand combat systems.[2] Intended to be a merger of the most effective techniques of other martial arts, Sambo has roots in Japanese judo and Karate plus traditional folk styles of wrestling such as: Armenian Kokh, Georgian Chidaoba, Romanian Trîntǎ, Tatar Köräş, Uzbek Kurash, Mongolian Khapsagay and Azerbaijani Gulesh.

#3 Louise Kiffer

Louise Kiffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

I put you only the beginning of the story, as it is too long.
You will find it

Once upon a time there was a little black boy, and his name was Little Black Sambo. And his mother was called Black Mumbo. And his father was called Black Jumbo.
And Black Mumbo made him a beautiful little Red Coat, and a pair of beautiful little blue trousers. And Black Jumbo went to the Bazaar, and bought him a beautiful Green Umbrella, and a lovely little Pair of Purple Shoes with Crimson Soles and Crimson Linings
And then wasn't Little Black Sambo grand? So he put on all his Fine Clothes, and went out for a walk in the Jungle. And by and by he met a Tiger. And theTiger said to him, "Little Black Sambo, I'm going to eat you up!"
And Little Black Sambo said, "Oh! Please Mr. Tiger, don't eat me up, and I'll give you my beautiful little Red Coat."
So the Tiger said, "Very well, I won't eat you this time, but you must give me your beautiful little Red Coat."
So the Tiger got poor Little Black Sambo's beautiful little Red Coat, and went away saying, "Now I'm the grandest Tiger in the Jungle."
And Little Black Sambo went on, and by and by he met another Tiger, and it said to him, "Little Black Sambo, I'm going to eat you up!"
And Little Black Sambo said, "Oh! Please Mr. Tiger, don't eat me up, and I'll give you my beautiful little BlueTrousers."
So the Tiger said, "Very well, I won't eat you this time, but you must give me your beautiful little Blue Trousers."
So the Tiger got poor Little Black Sambo's beautiful little Blue Trousers, and went away saying, "Now I'm the grandest Tiger in the Jungle."
And Little Black Sambo went on, and by and by he met another Tiger, and it said to him, "Little Black Sambo, I'm going to eat you up!"
And Little Black Sambo said, "Oh! Please Mr. Tiger, don't eat me up, and I'll give you my beautiful little Purple Shoes with Crimson Soles and Crimson Linings."
But the Tiger said, "What use would your shoes be to me? I've got four feet, and you've got only two; you haven't got enough shoes for me."
But Little Black Sambo said, "You could wear them on your ears….

(I have translated it in French. I don't think it is a racist story, as the little Sambo is always victorious of the tigers. It is racist against
the tigers, who have the right to have a life. Even the vegetables have the right to live -:))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users