• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Artur

Artur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 02:35 PM

Well, i just watched the American Beauty film. The film that gives a picture of an american family. Well, first of all it is one of the sickest films i've ever seen. Still don't understand how they've got 5 oscars or something. Probably because it is made by Americans and they really understand it.

The film shows how sick society can there be. Look, father is absased with his daughter's girlfriend, mother is on the side with the boss of her company, daughter wants to kill her father, neighbor who acts as a gay hater is actually gay himself. Well can anything or any other society be as sick as that, only english or russian probably.

Artur

#2 DoC

DoC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Quite interesting.

Posted 27 April 2001 - 02:56 PM

I really like that movie. It was an interesting way of saying that despite all the ugly things in life, life is really beautiful. That beauty being individually defined.
It's actually become one of my favorite movies of all time.
Yes, it does paint a pretty grim picture of a family. But I think the point was that things aren't always what they seem, ie. the "normal" suburban family appearing to be the ideal american family, really isn't. Actually, the gay couple living next door were the only normal ones in the movie!

#3 DoC

DoC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 April 2001 - 02:59 PM

Hey Artur,
I have a pretty cool idea. Why don't we become the new "Siskel and Ebert" for this website and review movies...in case you're not familiar with Siskel and Ebert, they were two well known American film critics who were pretty opposite, but gave interesting critiques of films. What do you say? This of course would be with the moderators' blessing...

#4 TigrannesIII

TigrannesIII

Riko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Making fun or conservatives and seeking progressive change while preaching endogamy and cultural conservation in the diaspora.

Posted 27 April 2001 - 10:51 PM

American society as a whole pretty much sucks, only cool people here are generally exchange students and immigrants.

#5 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 27 April 2001 - 10:56 PM

Tigran, who is holding you back in this country, why don't you go back to a country where people don't suck?

#6 Pilafhead

Pilafhead

Music Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Music, Family, Music, Food, Music, Beer, Music

Posted 28 April 2001 - 11:33 AM

He's working on it.

#7 Pilafhead

Pilafhead

Music Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 11:37 AM

The DoC,

You summed up the movie well! I loved it, but shortly after I saw the movie, my brother-in-law met a similar fate as the main character. I think in time, I'll be able to watch it again.

BTW, the soundtrack is great, too. Not the one with the various pop/rock songs on it, but the score.

#8 Artur

Artur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 07:12 AM

DoC, joke is understood...

I don't know what is good in that film, but by the end of the film i felt really disgusting. Moreover, sorry for kids and parents, more for kids though, because parents raise kids and kids become as they are because of parents. And can you image what will happen after lets say 100 years?

[ April 28, 2001: Message edited by: Artur ]

#9 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 28 April 2001 - 10:00 AM

I agree with madarmo. And anyway I dont think the film was made for us to approve or dissaprove, the way they showed that family was to for everyone to think it was sick, but they arent really showing ALL americans to be like that, just the cover up of some "nice little surburban families" I happenned to think it was a very classy film, and well made/written, produced, etc. Hence the 5 oscars.

Besides. I'm sure plenty or armo families in armenia are the same, and in greece, and in Icelnad. You find it everywhere.

#10 Artur

Artur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 10:48 AM

Kazza, pls don't use the word many and do not compare with Iceland or Greece, because it not true at all.

Take care!

#11 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 28 April 2001 - 03:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Artur:
Kazza, pls don't use the word many and do not compare with Iceland or Greece, because it not true at all.

Take care!

WHAAT? What did I say now?

#12 Artur

Artur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 April 2001 - 04:27 PM

Besides. I'm sure plenty of armo families in armenia are the same.

By the way, where does this word armo come from? Sounds same as negro.

#13 DoC

DoC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 April 2001 - 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Aghmug:
The DoC,

You summed up the movie well! I loved it, but shortly after I saw the movie, my brother-in-law met a similar fate as the main character. I think in time, I'll be able to watch it again.

BTW, the soundtrack is great, too. Not the one with the various pop/rock songs on it, but the score.

Man, the score was fantastic! I absolutely loved it. They tried to mimic it in "Pay it Forward" but it didn't have the same effect.

#14 Nvard

Nvard

Gatita :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:everything..

Posted 04 May 2001 - 04:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Artur:

By the way, where does this word armo come from? Sounds same as negro.

I guess that's another American trick.
Probably the word ARMENIAN is too long to pronounce...lol..
I think the word JAP(Japanese) is the same case.

#15 Pilafhead

Pilafhead

Music Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 12:20 PM

"Armo" was created by Armenians themselves. Based on this threads, it must have come from Armenian-Americans. Personally, I have mixed thoughts on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users