Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:04 PM

Hraparak, Lenini Hraparak.
To all those who may be more intimately familiar with the subject;
Which is it? What is the official title?
Hanrapetakan, Hanrapetutyun or Hanrapetutyan Hraparak?
Is it Republic, Republican or other Square?

Lenini Hraparak;
Yervani hasarakakan kentroni glkhavor jartapetakan ansampl@, transportayin karevor hanguyts, tonakatarutyunneri, tsuytseri ev zhoghovrdakanmets havaguytneri vayr.
It was created in 1924 (chief architect Tamanyan) as the focus of a greater plan of the city and it was developed during the years 1926-1958, during which time the surrounding buildings were added, (see map below).
Of course, Lenin Square would not be without that blasted (literally) statue casting its dark shadow on an otherwise bright sunshiny Yerevan. I shed no tears when that ugly statue was unceremoniously taken down. We need gods of his like a big hole in the head.
Speaking of gods, why was the suqare named Hanrapetakan(?) in the first place? Of course, Hayastan is a Hanrapetutyun. Some items on this forum may indicate otherwise when they refer to the present oligarchy and the avatapetutyun, the medeival feudalism. What will we rename the square when Armenia becomes a kingdom some say, or when the majority of Armenians convert to the Jehovah's Witnesses some day? Will we rename it Arqayakan Hraparak or Yehovayi Hraparak? How about Mormonneri Hraparak? Would it not be better if we named it by a more permanent, a tried and tested event, person? How about Tigranian Hraparak? Mesropian Hraparak or even Komitasian Hraparak? You can even name it after me. I did offer to stand where Lenin used to but even the birds expressed their displeasure and deposited their comments on my head :):)

A word or two about "hraparak".
First, naming the square as "hanrapetuyun" may be a redundancy at best as "hraparak" more often than not does mean "public", in such as "hraparakav" (in public etc.)If I didn't know better I would have guessed that the word was based on "hur/fire/krak" (btw, note that hur and fire have a common root, remember that F becomes H and visa versa, as in fereshteh/hreshtak).
According to some sources, just as in the previous sentence "hraparak" seems to be common with the Pahlavi "fraparak" which is often used to mean an "amaranots/a summer place". There is no conclusive consensus about the origin of the word or its original meaning which brings us to MY allusion to "hur"/fire".
Could it be that it was a place of fire (offerings)???
During some celebrations the Hraparak is the site of fireworks.

Perhaps Jugs/Acc can fill us in and tell us exactly what it is that is being done. It is no secret that the Square does need a facelift, as it is a a very drab and ugly field of ashphalt whose main function at the moment is for weddding convoys to blow their horns as they circle it. However I wish, whatever the plans may be they could be converible as the square will also be used to gather hundreds of thousands of people during times of celebrations and times of protestations.

I reference to.
http://armenians.com...S...f=16&t=6829

Map.
http://www.haias.net...evan-map-i.html

#2 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:50 PM

You have a point. How about Hayqi Vayr?

#3 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:59 PM

How about " Na hur hair uner"! Arpa could you explain please why "hair" is still hair?

We need to keep Arpa busy, otherwise some freaky things are comming to his mind!j/b :)

#4 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 07 August 2003 - 06:08 PM

Is it Republic, Republican or other Square?

but ours is oval...

#5 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 06:28 PM

Harut du tip yes!!! :)

#6 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:20 AM

Speaking of gods, why was the suqare named Hanrapetakan(?) in the first place? Of course, Hayastan is a Hanrapetutyun. Some items on this forum may indicate otherwise when they refer to the present oligarchy and the avatapetutyun, the medeival feudalism. What will we rename the square when Armenia becomes a kingdom some say, or when the majority of Armenians convert to the Jehovah's Witnesses some day? Will we rename it Arqayakan Hraparak or Yehovayi Hraparak? How about Mormonneri Hraparak? Would it not be better if we named it by a more permanent, a tried and tested event, person? How about Tigranian Hraparak? Mesropian Hraparak or even Komitasian Hraparak? You can even name it after me. I did offer to stand where Lenin used to but even the birds expressed their displeasure and deposited their comments on my head

Arpa, du ayl tip yes!!! :)

#7 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:30 AM

here is another liguistic question...

tip-type-tipar what's the connection?

#8 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 08 August 2003 - 08:30 AM

here is another liguistic question...

tip-type-tipar what's the connection?

There definitely is a connection.
The Armenian is based on "tip" to mean stamp, seal. nodel (tipar) and "copy" , from which many variations the most obvious of which is "tpel" , to print to copy.
As to "her"=hair, even though Ajarian leaves it up in the air , there deinitely seems to be a connection. Even if Hrachya shies away from the Eng. hair to the German haar, he does tend to believe it is from Greek Latin "eris" as in "aris canini" (dog's hair) which is supposed to actually mean wool. He also draws on the Hebrew "se'ar" to mean hair. We also know that it is "shaar" in Arabic.
Yes "her" does mean hair, we see it in "shikaher" red head, "deghdzanaher" (yellow, blond) etc, gankraher, curly, and herardzak (freed, wild hair)
Na hur her uner, indeed since Vahakn was our god of the volnaoes, in fact some go as far as that Vahakn is the Armenian form of Vulcan, the god of volcanoes.

#9 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 08:56 AM

The Armenian is based on "tip" to mean stamp, seal. nodel (tipar) and "copy" , from which many variations the most obvious of which is "tpel" , to print to copy.

So it's not based on "tupos", Greek for "impression"?

English "type" is based on the Latin "typus", which is itself based on "tupos"...

I wonder where "tupos" comes from...

#10 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:01 PM

Arpa could you explain please why "hair" is still hair?

ask Sip, nairi, bruin, or vava (not sure) what 'her' really means.

#11 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:17 PM

ask Sip, nairi, bruin, or vava (not sure) what 'her' really means.

??????

Which "her" to begin with? The Persian Armenian version of "why"? Or father? Or the English version "her", as in genitive "she"?????

Bruin's not Parska-Hay, is she? Or is that not what you're referring to? Harut, you're totally confusing me!!!! :blink:

And is it "hair" (in English) or "hayr" (in Armenian), Gamavor?

#12 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:34 PM

Harut, you're totally confusing me!!!! :blink:

her ches haskanum nairi jan?

#13 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 12:58 PM

Hayastantsinern el en her asum? Kher tesnes!

But I'm still confused :( Why only a select few know the answer? Wait.... does this have to do with goatees?

#14 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:01 PM

ay ay ay
i was just refering to the 'why' version.

#15 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:02 PM

Kher tesnes!

is that supposed to be an insult?

j/k

#16 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:08 PM

ay ay ay
i was just refering to the 'why' version.

Ahhh! So my first answer was well guessed :) Ba :)

#17 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 05:31 PM

You all need to go back to school! It is all about "hair". Not his "hair" nor her "hair", nor even his "hayr" hair :) . Just hair! So I wonder if in old Armenian hair was "hair", how come we ended up with "maz"!

Disclaimer: I'm not that 'mazot', in case anybody is trying to speculate on my interest about "hair"! :)

#18 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:45 PM

Oh man!! I'm such a moron!!!!!!! I finally got it!!!! DUH!!! Man I feel like Azat!

Sorry to you Gam as well... no excuse, except perhaps loss of short-term memory...

#19 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 08:47 PM

Man I feel like Azat!

yah, that's one horrible feeling...

#20 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 08 August 2003 - 09:22 PM

YAAA, feeling like Azat is the same as feeling like a moron?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users