• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 vadik963

vadik963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:10 PM

Barev!!! I am a 20 year old male that currently lives with his mother in NYC. My parents are divorced from each other, my father lives in the West Coast. My family is 100% Armenian, but they are from Baku. Anyways I speak fluent English, Russian and I am currently teaching myself Armenian. So far so good, I am planning on taking classes though. My parents are both very successful here in the United States. My mother has a job on Wall St. and my father has his own business going. One thing, I feel very attached to my being an Armenian. I really really want to move to Armenia, it is my dream. I don't like it here in America to be honest, it just doesn't feel right for me. My parents don't know about this, and if they knew I am sure they would laugh at me and say I'm stupid and maybe even forbid me. I am dying to go there, I want to live in my homeland, marry an Armyanka and have a family. I am currently in college and I am getting a job to save up as much money as I can before I go, at least 10 grand. I am also thinking of getting a certification to teach English in Armenia. I have an aunt and cousins who live in Yerevan, I am sure that they would not mind having me live with them until I get on my feet. As far as job experience, I only have 2 years of retail sales. I know as a matter of fact that Armenia is currently offering a dual citizenship for Armenians. I am sooo tempted to call the Embassy in DC, but I am afraid that my mother will find out. Is it legally okay for me to call an embassy and ask questions about citizenship. I need your help!!! How can I start, and how long do you think the process takes for citizenship. My mother thinks Armenia is dangerous because of ISIS, and I know that my father will call me a "dolboeb".

#2 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

Welcome to Hyeforum! Forums are not the best place to get advice for a lifelong decision making in the first place, second if you don't know the age of majority in your state I don't know if you are ready for this. You say your parents are very successful and you have an aunt in Yerevan, therefore they should be the ones to go for advice but I have one concern about your mothers knowledge concerning ISIS since it doesn't exist in Armenia how can it be dangerous and if she is Armenian she should know this for a fact. 

#3 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hello Vadik welcome to Hye  forum.

#1 Get a good  education - English in Armenia is  British  English

#2 learn a  trade  - Arhest - like   to work on  cars. computer work on  cars, engine  light reset  fuel injection service . many cars  have problems in Armenia  do  to high  quality  fuel 

TBC

#4 vadik963

vadik963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

Well I live in the US, and the age of majority is 18. I am almost 21 years old. I also have a certification in Phlebotomy and EKG technician. Phlebotomy is taking blood from patients veins. Do you think Armenia could use more medical staff? I am in college currently studying medicine. I am definitely on planning to finish school and get my degree and then move. I just deep down want to live the life I was supposed to. I want to go to Lake Sevan in the summer, meet people just like me and start a family. It will take me a good 4 years to complete college, but should I start applying to citizenship now? How can I do this without my parents thinking I am foolish? I am an adult in my country.
  • MosJan likes this

#5 vadik963

vadik963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

My mother is afraid that ISIS will strike our country, that's why she says that.
  • vadik963 likes this

#6 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

Well good luck to you! :)

• vadik963 likes this

#7 vadik963

vadik963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:19 PM

Can you tell me what your opinion on this is? What would you personally do if you were in my place. Any tips? :) Thanks for your answer

#8 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

As I said before and I'll say it again your parents are the best source of advice. Since you asked me what's my opinion on this, get your education first and if you still feel the same way which is very admirable I might say go for it, because Armenia's future depends on the younger educated citizens. But there is nothing wrong with getting your parents blessing through dialog and good luck to you.

As for tips I'm hoping that our members who are from Armenia might help you better with information.

#9 vadik963

vadik963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

Thanks again!!! It just deeply saddens me that Armenians areleaving our homeland. What's going to be left of our country if everybody leaves? I want to go there, and stand with my country. Doesn't it sadden you as well, with what's going on in Hayastan?

#10 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

Well I live in the US, and the age of majority is 18. I am almost 21 years old. I also have a certification in Phlebotomy and EKG technician. Phlebotomy is taking blood from patients veins. Do you think Armenia could use more medical staff? I am in college currently studying medicine. I am definitely on planning to finish school and get my degree and then move. I just deep down want to live the life I was supposed to. I want to go to Lake Sevan in the summer, meet people just like me and start a family. It will take me a good 4 years to complete college, but should I start applying to citizenship now? How can I do this without my parents thinking I am foolish? I am an adult in my country.

your  on   correct road

as  for  citizenship :  you can be  citizen  in USA  & Armenia :)  no problems.

• vadik963 likes this

#11 blackjackyan

blackjackyan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

Barev dzez Vadik,

I am in somewhat a similar situation as you, ie wanting to go to Armenia, except I have finished my education.  I am also a bit older than you.  I have some advice to give you, as I have briefly lived in Armenia and am planning to go back.  Take it as you will, just my 2 cents.

1. You can get dual citizenship, but BEWARE, as a young male if you get citizenship you might have to sign up for mandatory 2 year military service.  This applies until you turn 27 when you are ineligible for the 2 year service.  So no rush. 
  2. If I was in your shoes, I would not tell anyone in Armenia that your parents are divorced, or imply that they have money.  Just like anywhere, some individuals might try to take advantage of you if they know your family has money, or judge you bc your parents are divorced.
  3. Not knowing Armenian might make things a bit harder for you, although you know Russian, which due to recent events isn't too popular in some circles.  Still better than nothing!  Keep working on Armenian, it is really fun to learn.
  4. Finish your education, the Armenian economy isn't getting better anytime soon lol.  It's hard for an Armenian from Armenia to survive, let alone a diasporan.
  5. With your medical background, you might be able to find a job.  MIGHT.  Just remember if there is one job, there will probably be many others applying for it.  They will hire the person native to Armenia every time over the diasporan.  Volunteering in something related to your career would be a prime opportunity for you to get more experience and letters of recommendation. 
  6. Don't expect to earn enough money in Armenia to even pay your rent; In my opinion, I would say to plan your expenses without having an income.
  7. Teaching English is difficult unless you have previous teaching experience.  You might be able to tutor someone for a little bit of money since you are a native speaker of ENglish and can explain things in Russian also.
  8. How often do you communicate with your family in Yerevan?  Keep in touch with them more and more.  Practice Armenian with them if you can.
  9. No rush to get married.  If you want a nice, conservative Armenian girl that's great.  Be careful though, lots of Armenians would love to be U.S. citizens, make sure it's real bc divorce is not popular, at least know the girl for one year in my opinion before getting engaged.

Besides these points, I would recommend you visit Armenia for a few months (summer break off school?) just to see what it is like to really live there.  It's awesome that you feel something for Armenia and that you are 100% Armenian.  I understand that you dream to go there, etc.  

There are two sides to every coin-  I survived in Armenia in conditions that most people in general would not be able to tolerate, conditions that Armenians from Armenia run away from.  I am not 100% Armenian and didn't speak any Armenian when i got there.   With that being said, I know of diasporan Armenians that lived in Armenia for a whole year and loved it, they are 100% Armenian, from Armenian families, know Armenian etc.  Then they return a second time to live in Armenia more permanently, and there are many that don't last even 2 months, sometimes not even 2 weeks before they go back home.

There are reasons why many Armenians leave Armenia, and why the Armenian population outside Armenia (which is 3-4 times the number of Armenians in Armenia) never go back there to live.  Live there a few months to see if it is for you.  If you like it great, if you don't like it there that's fine too bc it will lead you toward what you want in life.

• vadik963 likes this

#12 vadik963

vadik963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

Barev dzez Blackjackyan,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write out your answer :) I really appreciate it!!! Many topics like this aren't discussed online, so I am left with dwelling with my thoughts about what to do, so thanks for your answer. I really want to move to Armenia, I know many people are leaving our country and it really saddens me. What will happen to our country when there will be nobody left, everybody in Russia or USA. It just be that way :( We have been around for thousands of years and I hope and pray that we will continue to remain. By the time I finish college, I will already be around 27, and I want to save up money and that will take a year at least. I feel that it is extremely important to finish school here in the U.S and then proceed from then. I wouldn't mind serving our country's military, I would feel honored, but I doubt my Drill Sergeants will translate everything to me in Russian lol. In Armenia, I won't tell people about things that they aren't entitled to know, such as my parents wealth or divorce, I would only share with lets say a wife for example. I know that there are Armenian girls in the U.S, but I don't want them. To me, they aren't as pure and conservative, not that I don't like them. I just want somebody who has strong faith, traditional, good cook, good wife, and somebody that will appreciate me for the person I am, not by wealth. You probably understand for what I am looking for. How do people live in Armenia if they cannot work a decent job to pay for ammenities? I don't talk to my aunt, in fact I have never seen her, but she knows me well enough. I am thinking of connecting with her on Skype. I am sure she will be happy to have me over. What concerns me the most is my parents and family. I know that I will get lots of shit from them for making this decision. My mom and dad will say I am stupid and that I won't have anything over there. Sooner or later, I have to bring this topic to them. Question is, how? I want to get a dual citizenship. I don't want my mother to know this, what if I have to travel to the embassy in WA DC, what am I going to tell her, I am going to see the monuments? I don't know how to get the citizenship without them knowing and getting critizim, but it is my deepest dream to be in Armenia. To travel through the beautiful fields and mountains. To have a beautiful woman by my side, to cook khorovats and eat fresh watermelons by the Lake. I dream of this life, it is simple but my god it's so beautiful. Life is too short to sit in one spot. From Armenia, I can travel to Europe or Asia easily, since all the countries are nearby. Thanks for your answer, I am extremely grateful for it!!!! :) I have to finish school here, how much do you think I should save up to life a comfortable for a couple of years. 10k or 20k. What do you think?

#13 vadik963

vadik963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

I was also thinking of moving to Russia, but with what's going on today it seems to dangerous. I have more relatives living Russia, than in Armenia. Although, I know that there are skinheads in Russia. I do want something different from the United States.

#14 blackjackyan

blackjackyan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

Yes, very important to have an interaction with the country of Armenia.  I also understand the value of having a spouse that is raised under conservative Armenian values.  I agree completely.  Also I am in the same situation as you regarding family.  Most parents would be worried.  Even Armenians will think you are crazy for leaving the USA to go to Armenia.  Ultimately, it is everyone's own decisions that they must be responsible for. 

I cannot speak for Yerevan too much, but I can certainly say that most families outside of Yerevan, especially Gyumri, live off money from abroad.  Many families have husbands, sons, uncles, etc. that move to other countries for work.  Mostly they work in Russia, and sometimes in the European Union if they are lucky enough.  All the money earned in these other countries is sent back to their families.  Sometimes you will see the father of a family work in another country and not see his family for many years, in other cases the work is seasonal or only a few months long until they return to Armenia.  Whenever you hear about Armenia's relations with Russia, remember that Russia provides all these work visas for many Armenians, and it would be a shame for Russia to threaten to cancel them. 

I am not sure I can offer advice on telling your parents about your plans, as i have no plan for telling my own family.

Life in Armenia is simple.  Time passes slow in relation to the USA, it is nice to enjoy the simplicity of life.  There is also the "bad" part of Armenia being simple, which there are many things, mostly material things, that doesn't exist in the USA.  For instance, do not expect to have running water all the time, or consistent electricity, or to have nice plumbing or bathrooms.  Armenians do not know how to stand in a line lol.  Also the economy is really, really bad.  Armenia will certainly teach you how to survive.

How much can it cost to live in armenia?  In Yerevan for one person, rent, food, utilities, transportation, etc.  maybe $600 a month.  If you are really cheap and walk places and don't eat at restaurants, then maybe $550 per month. 

If you wanted to live in Armenia permanently, like for the rest of your life, or even for ten years, then I would suggest saving enough money to buy a decent apartment or house.  That could cost anywhere between $36-40,000.  Also be debt free.  Don't have any students loans or credit card debt etc.  Also always have extra money in a bank account for an emergency. 

If you wanted to save money to live in Armenia for a few years, I would say maybe $7500 per year at least. 

• vadik963 likes this

#15 vadik963

vadik963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:20 PM

Barev blackjackyan,

Hey sorry that I couldn't get back to earlier, I was busy with school and trying to find a job. I just don't want to live in America for the rest of my life, and I do like to have a little bit of a challange in my life, kind of shapes me into a man. If you get what I mean. Anyways, I do not talk to my aunt at all, but I am considering on friending her on facebook and take it from there. Maybe at first talk to her and get to know her well enough, then I could ask her if I can visit for like a week or two. I think the best route for me would be to complete college here in the U.S and get a degree. After I get a degree, I should at least find a job and gain some experience as well as save up money for Armenia. I know many young Armenians in the U.S would think I am absolutely nuts, but come on, it is our homeland and we should take care of it. It saddens me to read statistics that Armenia will still continue to lose more than half its population in 20 years or so. Plus we have cruel Turks and Azeris next to us, and we should do everything possible to survive. I honestly don't like the fact that Armenia is mostly sided with Russia, it would really benefit our country if we became less Russianized and stick more to our traditional roots. I really want to move there, man. I even promised to myself not to date anybody here in the U.S, as a way to save myself and find a good Armenian girl. My parents think I am crazy for declining dates with other girls. They have both become very Americanized, and they are starting to forget what they stand for. Interesting thing is that I will get most critism and hatred from my mother. She is a strange one, she doesn't really like Armenians (She is Armenian herself, but born in Baku). I will obviously make sure to have any debts taken care of? How hard would it be for a person like me to get a citizenship. I mean, I was born in the U.S, I am %100 Armenian and I have family living in Yerevan. Shouldn't the Armenian government encourage diasporian Armenians to move back home? I even read online somewhere that there is a specific program which aims to acquire 3500 Armenians worldwide to move back to their homeland, they even will provide housing and a job. I wonder if that is true, and if there is such a thing?

#16 VartanM

VartanM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:16 AM

Hello, I repatriated back to Armenia 3 years ago. If you want to move to Armenia I suggest doing a trial run. Look into organizations such as Birthright Armenia (http://www.birthrightarmenia.org/en/) and Armenian volunteer corps. (http://www.armenianvolunteer.org/). They provide you with a temp job and housing and show you around the country. It's a great way to experiance Armenia first hand. If you like what you see, you can talk to another organizations Repat Armenia (http://repatarmenia.org/eng/) But before doing any of that, as MosJan said, get an education and a learn a trade or two. Armenia's IT sector is booming right with lot's of high paying jobs (in Armenia's standards) P.S. You have to be a little bit of a "dolboeb" to move from US to Armenia, so don't blame your father.

#17 vadik963

vadik963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

Hello VartanM,

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it!!! I am definitely considering on finishing up my studies here, no question at all!! I know all of this is at least 5 years away from me, since I have to take care of things here. I think volunteering would be a fantastic idea, so I can see what it is like first hand and then proceed with further decisions. What made you repatriate to our homeland, and where did you come from, if you don't mind me asking. What is your experience with the movement? I am considering on getting a dual citizenship, with both the U.S and Armenia. I certainly don't want to burn any bridges with the U.S. I just don't want to live here my entire life, the world is a very big place with many different types of people, both good and bad obviously. I just want to try something new, I hope you understand by what I mean. About the "dolboeb" part, I hope that you don't consider me as one, I mean I haven't insulted anybody on here and will not, I am just looking for some friendly and honest advice from people. How is your life in Armenia, tell me anything you can!! How did your family take it when you told them about repatriating back home? спасибо за ваше время!!

#18 blackjackyan

blackjackyan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:16 PM

Hello Vadim,

I agree with many things you mentioned.  What VartanM says is true, Birthright Armenia/AVC would be a way to get you to Armenia.  I assume they would pay for the majority of your plane ticket.  It would be a decent experience for you and wouldn't cost you too much.  Not sure if that will interfere with your work or studies though.  Birthright/AVC are decent programs that can get you to experience Armenia.  Do I believe all they say about the journey of self-discovery, learning about your heritage,etc is really at thier core, no I don't, but still something to consider Vadim. 

VartanM is right though about the "dolboeb" part though, I had to look up what the word meant, but he's right.   People will think something is wrong with your mind bc you want to leave the US and go to Armenia.  Even if you voluteer, you will find the people you meet and work with will think you are insane for working without pay.

#19 blackjackyan

blackjackyan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:22 PM

Vadim,

Now that I think about it, I hope this thread is visited and posted on by both those who have moved from the USA to Armenia, and have had both good AND bad experiences.   That is really the best way to gather advice other than going to Armenia yourself.

#20 vadik963

vadik963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:31 PM

Hello blackjackyan,

I agree with you, it will give me an idea what to expect. The whole reason why I joined this forum is to meet others who are like me and learn from other people's experiences. I really am grateful that you take the time in your day to write something for me, that is extremely nice of you and I thank you :) "Dolboeb" is a russian insult word meaning somebody who is a "retard", I definitely do realize the fact that many people will think of me as one, the word "dolboeb" is kind of on the same level with the F word. I mean even I sometimes think it might be a little too much for me, but deep down I do want to try and see how it will be. I will read up on those programs. I just find it weird that people would frown upon the fact of what I am wanting to do. It's not like I am doing something bad, it's actually a good thing I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users