#41 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,253 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:07 PM

Hetaqrqir mi ban n@katesty
yerb East Costits mek@ galsi e LA kam yerb mek@ East costa gnum - mez mot LA Anpayman Adzrev / Karkut / pothorika @sksvum
tesnes inchitsa

Heretikosneri gortsa

#42 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:08 PM

I heard recently on the Public Radio that New York is trying to change its logo-name "Big Apple". They want to call it "The world's second home". Given that there are many homeless people that's a bit bizarre, but they are basically promoting the city for 2012 Olympics.

#43 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 21 2005, 02:04 PM)
An, is that from NY-ers who have moved to LA. smile.gif

No, from NY-ers who refuse to leave NY. wink.gif

#44 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:11 PM

Here are a couple of mine:

and 2 more:

Pic 1
Pic 2

#45 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,253 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:12 PM

Sip@ jishta asum smile.gif LA lav tegh chka ( Americayi ) mej - chhashvats HAwiiin - Aliaskan - N-Californian - Coloradon

#46 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 21 2005, 09:30 AM)
Anoushik if that is the only reason why you want to go to NY then dont.  But there are MANY more reasons why people would like NY better especially people of the arts like yourself.

Yes, I think that's the only reason for now. I think people in NY walk more and have human contact much more than LA and only because we spend so much time in our cars. Of course I realize that some human contact would be unwelcome (homeless in the subway) but people are outdoors more often. Here, we leave our house, get in our cars, drive to our workplace/schools, get out of the car, enter another building, etc. If we want to walk in the sunshine we have to plan it (like walking to the store). Even going out with friends we use the car to get to places. And it's not our fault. There aren't many places where we can walk from place to place.

As far as the arts are concerned, yes, New York is one of the biggest art centers in the world. But I love the arts in Los Angeles too. The other day I was listening to the fund-drive for KUSC and it occured to me that I have become so accustomed to the commentators on that radio station. Because I spend so much time driving the radio commentators have become my family in a way. I wouldn't want to leave them.

Yesterday my friend and I were at the theater for the production of Tartuffe in Hollywood. I loved it. LA has everything as far as the arts is concerned. I just think for someone involved in the arts and music it would be easier to find employment in NY than Los Angeles. Is it not so? That's another reason I consider leaving LA in the future (in addition to the traffic and driving in LA)

#47 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Feb 21 2005, 02:31 PM)
Yes, I think that's the only reason for now. I think people in NY walk more and have human contact much more than LA and only because we spend so much time in our cars.

I should say that I only think this since I've never been to the East Coast.

#48 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:12 PM

I have to say that I lived a life in NY of a tourist with very deep pockets for 2 years(well I was living in NJ but was in NY few times a week) ALL my expanses were paid for and I held a 6 figure job on top of that. I LOVE NY. It is a great place.

1. I never found NY to be less friendly then LA people. I was actually shocked and sometimes even found hem more friendly.
2. Bars are open till 4AM but and this is great if you are a tourist but who the hell cares when you have to be up the next day at 6:30 to go to work. You can do it when you are young but at my age on a regular basis.
3. Plays and Broadway and all that. How many NYers go regularly. how many can afford 200 for the tickets and throw a nice dinner on top of that and all of a sudden you are at 3-400 per couple. How often do NYers go?
4.People who live in New York really dont live in Manhattan where all the action is and what tourists fall in love with.
5. Rent in Manhattan. My buddy decided to drive to work in NJ fro Manhattan and leased a place just north of wall street. I would not want my pets to live in a hell hole like he was living and the rent? over 2K. he did not care as the company was also subsidizing his stay but give me a break. you want a nice 2 bedroom place in a trendy area of Manhattan you have to sell your body on weekends to pay for.

Oh yes and thanks to Guliani the subways are now used for transportation and not as public urinals. smile.gif

#49 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:04 PM

Going anywhere in LA seems like a safari expedition, a real chore. You got to plan how to beat the traffic etc chances are if you wanted to hear blues or jazz you may be looking to drive twenty miles each way. This is the major difference NY Boston are cities in real terms whereas LA is a vast suburban nightmare stretching in vast distances on all directions.
My mental compass is not wired to live in the south. I function better in the north. I suspect this may be the fact where I was born. I felt totally alienated surrounded by palm trees in LA but here I love big maples and Oakes. It is hard to sum up and everyone is different.

#50 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ Feb 21 2005, 06:04 PM)
I felt totally alienated surrounded by palm trees in LA but here I love big maples and Oakes.

This has been my feeling during all my stay in the US. I never thought I will develop this much resentment towards the symbol of relaxation. I can't stand palm trees.

#51 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Armen @ Feb 21 2005, 07:12 PM)
This has been my feeling during all my stay in the US. I never thought I will develop this much resentment towards the symbol of relaxation. I can't stand palm trees.

I have a dream to sit down and relax under a palm tree smile.gif

#52 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Feb 21 2005, 06:14 PM)
I have a dream to sit down and relax under a palm tree smile.gif

You will never relax under an LA palm tree. Go to Bora Bora or other "Chunga Changa" kind of place smile.gif

Edited by Armen, 21 February 2005 - 06:27 PM.

#53 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:29 PM

Sasun jan this one is tonight's special biggrin.gif

#54 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:33 PM

damn,! Armen thats sickaning!

#55 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:34 PM

I wub.gif NY

smile.gif
Although, I think LA's pretty great too!
For now, I'm still up here in the great white north smile.gif

#56 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:58 PM

Sasun jan, you can sit by the palm tree in my yard and I will serve you cold beers but you will get wet from all the rain and maybe even washed away

#57 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ Feb 21 2005, 03:45 PM)
I Lived in LA for eight years and frankly I felt like I was in mars smile.gif I also need the energy of the city. I love Boston, I can walk for hours without getting bored and it has everything NY has but in smaller scale besides NY is four hours bus trip away. I can spend hours in Soho and in village looking at Galleries. It totally energizes me.

My first impression of LA was (coming from Paris:) where everybody did go? Honestly, that was my first reaction!
The next day, I've been to downtown LA and I was a little relieved. Then I asked myself: where did the Americans go? smile.gif
I 'm a big wanderer and I don't like to drive, but I prefer LA to New Jersey!
I enjoy walking around SoHo, but I wouldn't live there: it's still not a real "neighborhood" - with the exception of West of West Broadway.

QUOTE (anoushik @ Feb 21 2005, 04:31 PM)
Of course I realize that some human contact would be unwelcome (homeless in the subway) but people are outdoors more often.

They are not annoying! They do not discomfort me. Their number has increased since the Bush Administration and the recession.

#58 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,253 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:23 PM

es andzrev@ yerba p@rtsnelu ........................

i need to go fishing

#59 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Feb 21 2005, 05:23 PM)
es andzrev@ yerba p@rtsnelu ........................
i need to go fishing

Soon you will be able to fish in your backyard.

#60 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,253 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Feb 21 2005, 06:24 PM)
Soon you will be able to fish in your backyard.

pleaseeeeee nooooo - nor Lolik yev Tarqun em tsanel
chhashvats or Limoni hamar shat jur@ lav chi / manavand or nor tsaxikner kan yeb der hin berqits bavakanin ka vran

Iy isk Plani Hamar Jur@ lava - inchqan shat entqan lav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users