Fresno Bee, CA
Nov 9 2017

‘Forced into Genocide:’ An Armenian daughter completes her father’s legacy

By Gail Marshall

09, 2017 11:41 AM

Who lives?

Who dies?

Who tells your story?

The haunting chorus of Lin Manuel Miranda’s ending to “Hamilton” swirls through my mind during my early-dawn reading of “Forced into Genocide: Memoirs of an Armenian Soldier in the Ottoman Turkish Army” by Yervant Alexanian.

I read it in one sitting, preparing for a presentation at Fresno State Tuesday by the book’s editor, Adrienne, Alexanian’s daughter. Her speech comes one day before his birthday, Nov. 15, 1895. He died in 1983. Perhaps she can take a moment on his birthday to sit in the exquisite Armenian Genocide Memorial at Fresno State. It would make a lovely photo. 

Alexanian will fly in from her home in New York City to discuss this gripping and unique eyewitness account of a conscripted soldier forced to serve under the flag of the country that would put 51 members of his family to death. He kept his detailed journal a secret even from his family. And those stories would remain unknown to this day had it not been for his daughter, who discovered a cache of mysterious pages written in Armenian among her father’s belongings after he died.

Adrienne G. Alexanian
Contributed

If you live in the central San Joaquin Valley, you know the basic framework of the Armenian holocaust. There were systematic massacres by Ottoman Turks of about a million and a half Armenians between 1915 and 1923. Many escaped to the United States, and Fresno was a refuge.

We hear an unrelenting drumbeat from their sons and daughters for the U.S. to officially declare this horror a genocide at the hands of the Ottoman Turks and yet that remains denied. But they will not stop until their families’ sufferings are acknowledged. Fresno’s libraries and Bee files are filled with their memoirs, advocacy, poetry and artwork in honor of their slain relatives.

This book, however, is unique from all other stories. No comparable account is chronicled in Armenian Genocide literature, according to the scholars who have reviewed it. There are rare documents and photographs included. One reviewer said he shares not only the suffering of the victims but also the suffering of survivors.

Alexanian turned to a professor in Fresno State’s Armenian studies department, Dr. Sergio La Porta, for the introduction. This remarkable daughter is an accomplished woman herself, an educator and a 2010 recipient of the Ellis Island Medal of Honor.

Reading Alexanian’s memoir is far more than a recounting of history. We can see ourselves – today – in this story. The descriptions of the brutality faced by the refugees are all too fresh, for they are in our news reports constantly. From the memoir:

“I witnessed ... pogroms and massacres of Armenians, in full view of Western troops. I saw with my own eyes Armenians jump into the sea and swim toward the Allied battleships stationed offshore, which represented Christian nations, thinking the ships would save them...

Many of the battleships turned on their hot-water hoses to keep these poor souls away, causing them to drown. Only a Japanese battleship was willing to throw down the rope ladder and rescue Armenians.”

The survivors and their progeny have made it their communal goal to make sure no one forgets what is often called “a murderous stain on humanity.”

And with that, we welcome Adrienne Alexanian to Fresno and thank her for sharing this gift not only to the Armenian people, but all of us as well.

How did you discover your father’s story?

They say that “life is what happens when you’re making plans.” My only plan was to archive my father’s papers and memorabilia as chairman of four Armenian organizations. I then found numerous booklets, individual papers, rare documents in Ottoman Turkish and Armenian and one-of-a-kind pictures and surmised what I had, since my father never told my mother or me that he had written his own memoir. This was confirmed when I had all of the papers translated by two professional translators.

What was the biggest surprise you discovered in the memoir?

My father didn’t talk about his experiences in the Armenian Genocide because he didn’t want to traumatize me, so instead he wrote about them. He did say that he escaped a firing squad and that playing the bugle saved his life, while 51 members of his family were killed, but didn’t elaborate.

What surprised me was how detailed his memoir is and how his experiences are backed up with not only the details but also with documents and pictures.

It also surprised me that his experiences were so much more devastating than I had imagined.

What was the most difficult part of this immense project?

I not only edited the book but collaborated with the translator for over a year to make sure that every detail was included in my father’s memoir and also that the words accurately conveyed what my father intended.

Actually, the easiest part was getting the book published since Transaction, the first publisher I contacted, grabbed it since there are no other books in literature on this aspect of the genocide ... the survival of an Armenian man conscripted into the Ottoman Turkish Army.

The Valley has many people of Armenian descent. What special meaning would you like them to get from this?

I know that Armenians in Fresno strongly embrace their heritage and promote it. We always point to Fresno as a model since Armenians here have achieved so much success, not only personally, but also in the wider community.

My father’s memoir reinforces the fact that Armenians are a strong people who can survive the most traumatic events, like the Armenian genocide, and go on to realize the American dream. The majority of my father’s life in America was spent advocating for recognition of the Armenian Genocide and keeping our language and heritage alive.

I hope, too, that my father’s story encourages those Armenians who are not now part of advocacy groups to join and promote genocide recognition and the rest of Armenia’s agenda.

Describe the array of feelings this brought up for you as a daughter.

Of course, hearing about the brutality toward my father, his family and my people was very difficult to hear. Not only I, but the translators had to stop reading because our tears flowed on several occasions.

It angers me that not only has Turkey refused to admit that the Ottoman Empire is responsible for the genocide of 1 ½ million Armenians from 1915-1923, but it’s also not officially recognized by Israel, despite the fact that 6 million Jews died in the Holocaust, which was patterned after the Armenian genocide, nor the U.S. government despite the fact that 47 states have officially recognized it.

It saddens me that I will never get to know so many members of my father’s family and their potential offspring.

What about this project has brought you the most joy, gratitude or satisfaction?

My father always wanted his story told. If he were alive today, he would humbly say that he is just the messenger to tell a bigger story…that of the Armenian Genocide. My father’s memoir “Forced into Genocide” accomplishes both of my father’s goals.

I’m also very grateful that well-respected scholars such as Israel Charny, who wrote the foreward, and Sergio La Porta, who wrote the introduction, are involved in the book. There are endorsements from high-profile, well-respected men such as Taner Akcam, Vartan Gregorian, Eric Bogosian, congressman Frank Pallone, D-New Jersey, and Andrew Goldberg.

I’m also grateful that interest in my father’s memoir has been so positive that Amazon sold out of three units and is re-ordering a fourth.

Gail Marshall is the Acting Editor of the Editorial pages for The Fresno Bee. Connect with her at gmarshall@fresnobee.com.

If you go

Who: Adrienne G. Alexanian, editor of “Forced into Genocide”

What: Book reading, signing and sale, question-and-answer session, reception

When: Nov. 14, 7:30-9 p.m.

Where: Fresno State, University Business Center, Alice Peters Auditorium, Room 191, 5245 N. Backer Ave. Fresno

Cost: Free

Parking: Free in lots P6 and P5 near the University Business Center with a code at a campus kiosk for a parking permit. Call (559) 278-2669 to get the parking code or visit the website.

Event websitewww.fresnostate.edu/artshum/armenianstudies/

Details: (559) 278-2669 to get the parking code or visit the website.

http://www.fresnobee...e183545636.html

#1602 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

WNYC.org
Nov 9 2017

Joe Berlinger And Eric Bogosian Open Up The Armenian Genocide

MARC6.jpg
Director Joe Berlinger joins us to discuss his new documentary “Intent to Destroy," which is about the Armenian Genocide.
( Photo courtesy of Armenian Genocide Museum Institute )

Nov 9, 2017

Academy Award-nominated director Joe Berlinger joins us to discuss his new documentary “Intent to Destroy,” along with Eric Bogosian who is featured in the film. Berlinger explores how the true horrors of the Armenian Genocide were obscured by the Turkish state, diplomatic pressure and Hollywood censorship.

"Intent to Destroy" opens Nov. 10 at the Village East Cinema (189 2nd Ave., between E. 11th and 12th St.).

Listen to the interview at http://www.wnyc.org/...intent-destroy/

#1603 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:49 AM

Deadline
Nov 10 2017

Joe Berlinger Risks Turkey’s Ire With Armenian Genocide Doc ‘Intent To Destroy’

November 10, 2017 10:48am

rexfeatures_7868836e.jpg?crop=929px%2C0p
Oscar-nominated filmmaker Joe Berlinger doesn’t mind taking on some powerful forces.

He squared off with oil giant Chevron in Crude. In the Paradise Lost trilogy, he went up against prosecutors in the notorious case of the West Memphis Three. With his latest film, Intent to Destroy, he’s running afoul of the government of the Republic of Turkey.

“Bring it on, that’s my attitude,” Berlinger tells Deadline.

marc_a0207-page_166.jpg?w=605&h=391
RadicalMedia

Intent to Destroy, which recently qualified for Oscar consideration, recounts the Armenian Genocide that began in 1915 — the massacre of up to 1.5 million Armenians that most historians believe was planned and implemented by the Ottoman state in its waning years. The film likewise explores the policy of genocide denial vigorously maintained by modern-day Turkey, which rose from the ashes of the Ottoman Empire.

“I was not really interested in just telling the story of the genocide. But I wanted to tell the story about denial,” Berlinger says. “To me only part of the film is about the actual facts of the genocide. The rest of the film is about the aftermath of denial, the mechanism of denial.”

There is a film within Berlinger’s film—the 2016 historical epic The Promise, starring Christian Bale and Oscar Isaac, that dramatized the events of the Armenian Genocide. Berlinger spent considerable time documenting the production on location in Portugal, Spain and Malta. In Intent to Destroy he interweaves archival recollections from actual genocide survivors, interviews with historians and prominent Armenian-Americans with clips from The Promise and behind-the-scenes footage.

unapproved_tp_d065_18593_copy.jpg?w=605&
RadicalMedia

Berlinger captures a powerful moment off set when Oscar-nominated actress Shohreh Aghdashloo, cast in The Promise as a genocide victim, breaks down after filming an emotional scene. And he interviews actor Daniel Giménez Cacho, who nervously explains that a Turkish ambassador tried to convince him — after learning Cacho had been cast in The Promise — that a genocide never occurred.

“The making of The Promise provided that perfect vehicle to tell that story,” Berlinger explains. “For me as a filmmaker who’s much more comfortable telling a present-tense story, it gave me some present-tense narrative thread to hang all the history on.”

Berlinger includes scenes from The Promise that reenact what continues to be a cherished memory for Armenians today, when thousands of their ancestors escaped slaughter by Ottoman forces on the mountain of Musa Dagh. The story was told in Franz Werfel’s 1933 novel The Forty Days of Musa Dagh and and shortly after its publication, MGM acquired the rights for an adaptation that was to star Clark Gable. But the film never came to be.

marc_a0006-family_of_deportees_on_the_ro
RadicalMedia

“Anytime in Hollywood an Armenian Genocide movie’s been attempted to be made, it’s been canned because of Turkish pressure,” Berlinger asserts. “[Producer] Irving Thalberg was going to make The Forty Days of Musa Dagh and was told by the State Department, ‘Drop the project.’”

Berlinger says The Promise only got made because it was independently financed by the estate of Kirk Kerkorian, the Armenian-American billionaire who died in 2015.

“It was actually Kirk Kerkorian’s wish to make The Promise,” Berlinger notes.

The Turkish government cast aspersions on The Promise and feels similarly about Berlinger’s documentary.

ss_tp_d029_08100.png?w=605&h=401
RadicalMedia

“We believe that such productions hurt the potential reconciliation process,” reads a statement emailed to Deadline from the Turkish Consulate in Los Angeles.

The consulate attached a four-page document outlining the official government position on the mass killings which states, in part, “Turkey does not deny the suffering and the losses of Armenians during World War I… While it is true that hundreds of thousands of Ottoman Armenian citizens died or were relocated within the Ottoman territories, it is also true that 2.5 million Ottoman Muslims died, 5 million of them were relocated during the same period. The suffering under war conditions affected all of the Ottoman citizens. Therefore, if we are going to talk about justice, the memory of all those who died during World War I should be respected.”

The document adds, “Turkey does not agree that the events were tantamount to genocide.” And it points out that genocide is a legal term: “Genocide implies that there is a perpetrator and a victim and the two are separated clearly in black and white manner. Such was the case during the Holocaust. The same cannot be said for the events of 1915…”

marc_a0059-unk-ibtimes_getty_1.jpg?w=605
RadicalMedia

Indeed, the title of Berlinger’s documentary, Intent to Destroy, comes from Article II of the U.N. convention on genocide, which provides a legal definition of genocide as “acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group.”

In 2016 Pope Francis used the term “Armenian Genocide” to characterize the slaughter. U.S. presidential administrations from George H.W. Bush onward have tiptoed around the issue, fearful of antagonizing Turkey, a vital strategic partner and NATO ally.

“The U.S. has kind of made a deal with the devil to help this country deny its genocide so that we would have access to air force bases and listening posts during the Cold War and later all of the unrest in the Middle East and the two Iraq wars,” Berlinger maintains.

Intent to Destroy opens Friday in New York, Pasadena and Glendale, California—the latter city, home to a large Armenian-American population. The film will later be released on iTunes and will play on the Starz cable channel in 2018.

http://deadline.com/...iew-1202205812/

#1604 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

Thinking Humanity
November 2017

They Sold the Bones of Greeks And Armenians Who Were Killed in Turkey. 400 Tons Of Bones Were Transferred to France for Industrial 'Use'

They%2BSold%2Bthe%2BBones%2Bof%2BGreek%2

Asia Minor Catastrophe led to the death of thousands of people and the displacement of 1,5 million Greeks. One more crime made by Turks occurred two years later and had been unknown for years. The crime had to do with the selling of the bones of all the people who were slaughtered by Kemal's Young Turks.

According to reports, Greeks' bones were sold by Turks to French for industrial 'use'! In total, 400 tons of human bones, which means the bones of 50.000 people, were transferred to the French industries in Marseilles. In 13th December 1924, the boat with the British flag arrived in Thessaloniki, Greece. When the workers in the port were informed of the bones, they didn't allow the boat's departure. Soon, there were demonstrations in the city from shocked refugees, who asked for the seizure of the shipment.

Finally, the English Consulate intervened, and the Greek government allowed the boat to depart so that there was no conflict with the British. The newspaper 'Macedonia' that was published on 14th December 1924 confirmed the arrival of the boat in Thessaloniki but didn't mention the human bones the boat carried.

They%2BSold%2Bthe%2BBones%2Bof%2BGreek%2  

The same month, New York Times published the news with the following headline: "An unbelievable story of a shipment with human bones." Also, the French newspaper Midi published the news, mentioning the human bones which were to be sold in Marseille.

Elias Venezis in his book Number 31328 mentions the process of collecting bones by people who were captured by Turks. When he was 18 years old, Venezis was captured with 3.000 people. He wrote the book after he returned from the East, to describe the hardships he and other captives went through after the Asia Minor Catastrophe.

In the book's prologue, he wrote: "There's nothing deeper and holier than a body in pain. This book is dedicated to this pain."

#1605 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:41 PM

Armenian Weekly
Nov 13 2017

The Pursuit of Reparations

By Sanan Shirinian on November 13, 2017

Our Greatest Contribution

Special to the Armenian Weekly

The Armenian Weekly recently hosted an event, “The Universality of Translating Reparations for Mass Violence,” featuring Dr. Henry Theriault and Alejandra Patricia Karamanian.

During his remarks, Dr. Theriault made a brief yet striking statement that deserves to be echoed: Armenians are always extremely proud of the many contributions we have made to this world, he said, including architectural innovations, wine, the first shoe, and so forth. However, he added, perhaps the most important contribution we can make would be to the global reparations movement.

Artists-impressions-of-Lady-Justice_stat

The statue of Lady Justice atop the Old Bailey courthouse in London (Photo: Wikimedia Commons)

Understanding our pursuit of reparations for the crime of the Armenian Genocide within the framework of a much larger movement, and as an important contribution to the world in the 21stcentury, can help define our nation’s own understanding of what constitutes justice for genocide.

We are experiencing an important shift in our pursuit of justice, and a new narrative has been gradually taking shape over the past several years: an evolution from recognition to reparations. The work for recognition carried out by previous generations is unassailable. We owe a great deal to the movement that took us from complete silence to near global recognition. Today’s conscious move toward the pursuit of reparations builds upon the work of the vanguard who achieved recognition by dozens of countries, 48 American states, the European Parliament, the Pope… The list goes on.

Now, this progression and strategic shift needs popular support. The pursuit of territorial restoration, monetary compensation, return of stolen properties, etc., is too often scoffed at and depicted as the pipedream of Armenian nationalists.

However, the Armenian pursuit of reparations is not divorced from a global reparations movement. It plays a critical role in justice for victims of human rights violations worldwide.

I would go so far as to say the Armenian pursuit of justice through reparations is particularly important for setting the right precedent in international human rights advances, because it demonstrates that no amount of time passed should negate state—and successor-state—responsibility for the crime of genocide. Thus, there is immense contemporary significance in the pursuit of justice for an international crime committed a century ago.

Here, I can predict pragmatic readers making the argument that our responsibility now is to what remains of Armenia—the current Republic—and that we should focus on strengthening and repopulating our developing state. It’s undeniable that growth and prosperity in Armenia are critical at this juncture. However, it is a disservice to our national potential to adopt such one-dimensional narratives. Our participation in the reparations movement and the development of Armenia should not be seen as conflicting—but, rather, as complementary to one another.

Moreover, the often-heard position of needing to develop current-day Armenia before seriously thinking about the return of lands sends a clear and dangerous message to all perpetrators of genocide. It can be translated as a victim group succumbing to the consequences of genocide. It says we have come to accept the current, illegitimate, status quo and our weakened condition has convinced us that we are undeserving of what was once ours.

Such collective negligence will have generational consequences. It can—and some might argue, already has—led to a dystopian society, in which acts of unspeakable violence are carried out with impunity.

We cannot abandon a universal obligation to human rights merely because of our current weakened political and economic position. In fact, our current fragility is in large part a consequence of the genocide itself.

This fight is for everyone, and it’s time to fully embrace it. Emerging from the farthest margins of political power, the Armenian nation, alongside a growing human rights community, can demonstrate resolve against even the most determined and pernicious deniers. Our position can serve as a beacon of hope for countless victim groups.

IMG_9661-1024x683.jpg

A scene from “The Universality of Translating Reparations for Mass Violence,” featuring Dr. Henry Theriault and Alejandra Patricia Karamanian (Photo: Karine Vann/The Armenian Weekly)

Our people have paid with their bodies, as have the people of the Caribbean, Cambodians, African-Americans, Chileans, and many others. The fight to be compensated, impossible as it may seem, is what will mark a new era in human rights.

And this fight is not strictly confined to the realms of law and politics. Justice for genocide belongs to all. It is a cultural fight, an ethical fight, a philosophical fight. Our passionate dissent might be defeated, but it also might change the world.

The Armenian pursuit for justice has universal relevance. More than our groundbreaking inventions and centuries-long influence on global commerce, our greatest contributing to the world in this modern age can be our leading role in the global reparations movement. Our contribution, our role as the ultimate victims’ advocate, can help push the idea of restorative and reparative justice beyond its current limited boundaries. Ultimately, this undertaking serves the greater purpose of not only challenging an illegitimate post-genocidal status quo, but also helping to deter future crimes against humanity.

This fight is pure, it is un-shameful, it requires love, dignity, and courage. This fight is what will push us toward the pinnacles of human achievement, and we have the opportunity to be its leading crusader.

Editor’s Note: Dr. Henry Theriault serves as the chair of the Armenian Genocide Reparations Study Group (AGRSG), which was established in 2007 by four experts in different areas of reparations theory and practice. Funded initially by a grant from the Armenian Revolutionary Federation (ARF), the members of the AGRSG are Alfred de Zayas, Jermaine O. McCalpin, Ara Papian, and Theriault (chair).  The group’s final report Resolution with Justice: Reparations for the Armenian Genocide, is available here

https://armenianweek...of-reparations/

#1606 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

Panorama, Armenia
Nov 15 2017

f5a0c64a2c850c_5a0c64a2c854a.thumb.jpg
Politics 20:00 15/11/2017Armenia
German human rights group insists on erecting Armenian Genocide monuments

Society for Threatened Peoples international human rights organisation in Germany is insisting on erecting monuments commemorating the victims of the Armenian Genocide and other Christian minorities in German cities.

As Ermenihaber reported, the human rights group has submitted such a demand to the German Association of Cities, with the demand letter handed over to its president Eva Lohse.

According to the source, Kamal Sido, a member of the Society for Threatened Peoples, noted that Germany was aware of the massacres committed by the Ottoman Empire.

“This is why it is highly important to take efforts to prevent the Armenians and other affected peoples living here from forgetting what happened, and to allocate a place to pay tribute to the victims,” he said.

The statement of the organization remarked that apart from the Armenian Genocide, the Ottoman Empire also committed massacres of other Christian minorities, claiming about 1,5 million lives.

https://www.panorama...numents/1865702

#1607 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

News.am, Armenia
Nov 17 2017

Brazil FM: Tragedy of Armenian people affected all of humanity
15:55, 17.11.2017

default.jpg

YEREVAN. – People must talk about the tragedy of the Armenian people to ensure that it would not happen again, said Minister of Foreign Relations of Brazil Aloysio Nunes Ferreira at a joint press conference with Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian on November 17  in Yerevan.

Minister of Foreign Relations of Brazil Aloysio Nunes Ferreira visited the Armenian Genocide Memorial (Tsitsernakaberd) within his official visit to Yerevan on November 17.

“I am certainly aware of the tragedy that befell at the peoples of Armenia. It is with a great emotion that I visited the Armenian Memorial Complex in Yerevan that honors the victims of the Armenian Genocide. The tragedy affected not only Armenia, but also all of humanity and human rights. We must talk about the tragedy of the Armenian people to ensure that it would not happen again, to banish intolerance and hate. You can be assured of my solidarity with the Armenian people on the matter,” the minister stressed.

https://news.am/eng/news/421513.html

#1608 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

ARMINFO News Agency, Armenia
November 16, 2017 Thursday

German human rights organization called on the authorities of Germany
to establish monuments throughout the country in honor of the victims
of the Armenian Genocide

Yerevan November 16

Marianna Mkrtchyan. The German human rights organization "Society for
the Protection of the Rights of Forced Peoples" appealed to the
Association of German Cities (Deutscher Stadtetag) with an appeal to
establish monuments all over the country in honor of the victims of
the Armenian Genocide and other Christians killed in the Ottoman
Empire during the First World War.

Expert of the human rights organization for the Middle East Kemal
Sidou noted that the German Empire was informed of pogroms of
Armenians in the Ottoman Empire and mass deportations. "It is
extremely important to do everything so that this tragedy is not
forgotten and it is necessary to establish monuments so that
representatives of the affected peoples can honor the memory of the
innocent victims," said Sidou, Deutsche Welle reports.

Note that on June 2, 2016, the German Bundestag adopted a resolution
"Remembrance of the Armenian Genocide and Other Christian Minorities
in the Ottoman Empire 101 Years ago," in which the massacres of
Armenians in the Ottoman Empire are called genocide. The Bundestag not
only recognized the Armenian Genocide in the Ottoman Empire, but also
its share of responsibility for what had been accomplished.

Recall that more than two dozen countries recognized the Armenian
Genocide. The first to recognize the Armenian Genocide was Uruguay,
further Argentina, Russia, Belgium, the Vatican, Venezuela, Greece,
Italy, Canada, Cyprus, Lebanon, Lithuania, Netherlands, Poland,
Slovakia, France, Chile, Switzerland, Sweden, Bolivia, Germany and
several other countries . It is noteworthy that Switzerland, Slovakia,
Greece and Cyprus also passed laws on the criminalization of the
denial of the Armenian Genocide. The bill on the criminalization of
the Armenian Genocide is also under consideration by the French
parliament. The fact of the Armenian Genocide was also recognized by
the Council of Europe, the European Parliament, the UN Subcommittee on
the Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities, the
United Nations Commission on War Crimes, and the World Council of
Churches. The Armenian Genocide was also recognized by New South Wales
(Australia), Sicily, Sao Paulo, Ceara and Parana (Brazil), Wales,
Scotland and Northern Ireland (Great Britain), Basque Country,
Catalonia, Balearic Islands (Spain), two dozen Spanish cities, Quebec
(Canada), Kiev, Uzhhorod, Izyum, Goloseevsky district (Ukraine),
Crimea, Karkhayent, Alakuas and Elda and 48 US states.

#1609 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

The Collegian: California State University - Fresno
November 16, 2017 Thursday

Genocide ripped a family apart. Uncovered letters tell their story

by William Ramirez

Adrienne Alexanian went to clean the closet of her late father not too
long after he died. In the process, she uncovered a new chapter -
personal experiences she hadn't known about - of the Armenian
Genocide.

Her father, Yervant Alexanian, was an Armenian soldier in the Turkish
army during the Armenian Genocide.

Alexanian said her father never shared this part of his life with his
family. Still, he would write down the experience as a way to cope
with the toll it took on him.

Unlike many soldiers who were conscripted into the Turkish army during
World War I, Yervant Alexanian survived. His records range from
infancy up until his transition to the United States after the
genocide.

"I was going through his papers to archive them, because he was such a
prolific activist in the [Armenian] community," Alexanian said. "When
I got to the bottom of the box, I found all of these booklets and
loose papers and documents in Ottoman Turkish and Armenian, and
pictures that seemed to be very, very important."

Today, the memoirs are being published into a book entitled "Forced
into Genocide" - a kind of book that which has never been published,
making more crucial for Alexanian to tell the story.

Alexanian said she spent 50 hours alongside an Armenian language
teacher translating her father's memoirs. She described this
experience as extremely emotional.

"Both of us were very emotional. She had to leave the room on numerous
occasions," Alexanian said.

She said these findings helped her to understand her father better.
She had known her father would go out of his way to help any and all
Armenians, regardless of whether they were friend or strangers. These
memoirs added context to those actions, she said.

"I never understood why he would do that for strangers. The 'Why' is
because he was unable to save 51 members of his own family," she said.
"So this was his life's work - to save Armenians."

Alexanian said she believes her book gives a more emotional, and
personal, perspective to the Armenian Genocide.

"It's not a history book. History books are kind of cold, they are
just facts," she said. "But when you see an event as horrific as the
Armenian Genocide through the eyes of someone who actually experienced
it, I think it really brings it home."

After the memoirs had all been translated, Alexanian turned to getting
the book published. Transaction Books quickly picked the book up for
publication.

"The easiest part of this whole process was getting it published," she
said. "The reality is, the first publisher that I called, Transaction,
grabbed the book because they realized there were no other books in
literature on this aspect of the genocide."

The book was published March 3, 2017 and today Alexanian is busy
traveling around the country giving presentations about the book. She
made a stop at Fresno State even, where she presented to a packed
Alice Peters Auditorium on Tuesday.

Sergio La Porta, a professor of Armenian studies at Fresno State and
author of the book's introduction, introduced Alexanian.

"There's so much in that work that has to do with, not just the
genocide, but life before the genocide, as well as dealing with the
effects after the genocide," said La Porte.

The book also contains a foreword written by Israel W. Charny,
executive director of the Institute on the Holocaust and Genocide in
Jerusalem. Alexanian is grateful to both men for their contributions
and feels like their great additions to her father's stories.

"The introduction by Sergio La Porte, I've been told by two scholars,
is one of the best, if not the best, introduction to a genocide
memoir," Alexanian said. "Israel Charny wrote a very short foreword,
and a very emotional one for me."

Alexanian's presentation consisted of visuals of her father followed
by readings from the book. She said she did it this way so the
audience would have a better understanding of what she was reading
about.

She went through photographs of her father at 10 and 15 years old, her
father's family - most of which he lost to the genocide - and even
showed a photo of her father as a young man when he had just moved to
the U.S.

She had the most fun with the latter, complimenting her father's
dashing good looks.

"George Clooney has nothing on my father," she joked to a laughing audience.

But aside from the cheerful moments, the presentation consisted of
somber readings of Yervant Alexanian's experiences. The readings
included the reports of watching members of the family escorted to
their death, being unable to ride the deportation train and having to
constrain himself from attacking Turkish officials who showed little
respect for his heritage.

"[Yervant] Alexanian's memoirs contain the views of a highly observant
man, who from a very young age was mentally chronicling the events
around him," Alexanian read.

She showed the audience several rare documents that proved some
Armenian soldiers in the Turkish army were ranked. La Porte read some
writing from Yervant Alexanian as the author's presentation came to
close.

He read from a letter written on May 14, 1953, Mother's Day. Yervant
Alexanian had lost his mother 38 years earlier to the genocide.

"She was taking the road to forced deportation and starvation, and I
had to go back to the barracks to perform my military service for the
regime that was sending my mother to her forced death, with her eyes
wide open," La Porte read. "O, what a contrast."

The floor was then opened up for questions and Adrienne Alexanian
answered several, never revealing too much as she herself continuously
said they would have to read the book to get the full answer to their
questions.

"Forced Into Genocide" is out and available for purchase.

https://urldefense.p..._3ZbZQ-eVj_0&e=

#1610 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

A1+

Tribute in Tsitsernakaberd Memorial Complex
  • 17:30 | November 16,2017 | Official
  • Հայ
  •  
IMG_0912-472x265.jpg

On November 16, the President of the Senate of the Kingdom of the Netherlands Ankie Broekers-Knol accompanied by the RA NA Vice President Arpine Hovhannisyan and the RA Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the Kingdom of the Netherlands Dziunik Aghajanian visited Tsitsernakaberd Memorial Complex.

The President of the Senate laid a wreath at the monument of the Armenian Genocide victims, laid flowers at the eternal fire and honoured in silence the memory of Holy Martyrs.

The high-ranking guest had been at the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute, got acquainted with the documents proving the Armenian Genocide, observed the exhibits and left a note in the Memory Book of Honourable Guests.

Mrs Broekers-Knol noted: “This is the first time I am in the Museum, and I am deeply impressed by the sufferings that the Armenians had. It is appalling and terrible.”

http://en.a1plus.am/1266838.html

#1611 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

Armenpress News Agency , Armenia
November 20, 2017 Monday

Cross-stone dedicated to memory of Armenian Genocide victims erected
in Cologne, Germany

YEREVAN, NOVEMBER 20, ARMENPRESS. A cross-stone dedicated to the
memory of the Armenian Genocide victims was erected at the German city
of Cologne on November 18 by the initiative of the Armenian community,
the Armenian foreign ministry told Armenpress.

The cross-stone was consecrated by vicar of the Armenian Apostolic
Church of Germany Pastor Kerovbe Isakhanyan. The cross-stone was
erected by the funds of Armenian philanthropist of St. Petersburg
Hrachya Poghosyan.

After the consecration ceremony numerous participants attended the
commemoration event at Cologne’s church.

During the event a number of officials, including the head of the
Armenian community of Cologne, Armenia’s Ambassador to Germany, deputy
Mayor of Cologne, as well as others delivered remarks.

They attached importance to the installation of the cross-stone and
stated that paying tribute to the memory of the Armenian Genocide
victims is a part of Germany’s memory policy.

#1612 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

My hat is off to you, for your courageous stand. Turkey needs more honest people like you!

News.am, Armenia

Dec 11 2017

Turkish journalists who recognize Armenian Genocide face life imprisonment
15:01, 11.12.2017

default.jpg

At the trial in Turkey, the prosecution has motioned for life sentences to three of the seven defendants in the case into the news websites of the Gülen Movement.

Ankara accuses Turkish Muslim cleric Fethullah Gülen, who lives in the US, and his Gülen Movement of orchestrating the failed military coup in Turkey, in July 2016.

At the hearing in an Istanbul court, the state prosecutor demanded life imprisonment for journalists Ahmet Altan, Mehmet Altan and Nazlı Ilıcak, who stand accused of “violating the constitutional order” in the country, according to BirGün (One Day) newspaper of Turkey.

Ahmet and Mehmet Altan brothers, who are under arrest, are active supporters of Armenian Genocide recognition in Turkey, and they have written numerous articles on the need for the country to acknowledge this tragedy.

https://news.am/eng/news/425731.html

#1613 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

Armenian Weekly
Dec 18 2017

Genocide Denied, Armenians Denied: Rejecting the Very Existence of Armenians in Turkey

By Raffi Bedrosyan on December 18, 2017

Special to the Armenian Weekly

Last week, while criticizing Israel and the United States on President Trump’s recent recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated with great conviction, “There has never been any genocide, holocaust, massacre, ethnic cleansing, or torture in our [Turkish] history.”

He said this without even batting an eye…

armeniansinturkey-1024x594.jpg

Over the years, there has been an effort to deny the very existence of the Armenians and their contributions to Turkey

This wholesale denial of historic facts regarding the treatment of minorities by the state is nothing new, but with each act of denial, history keeps repeating itself with sickening regularity—the massacres of Armenians were followed by the massacres of Greeks, Assyrians, Alevis, and Kurds.

This article will focus not on the denial of genocide, but more on the denial of the very existence of the Armenians and the many contributions they have made in the country.

645x344-1475087817256.jpg

The Balyan Family Mausoleum (Photo: Daily Sabah)

In a previous article (The Untold Stories of Turkey: An Armenian Island on the Bosphorus), I had touched upon how a single family of Armenian architects, the Balyans, had shaped the skyline of Istanbul, particularly along the Bosphorus, with their creations of palaces, mansions, military barracks, and mosques. Although revered and respected as Royal Architects during the Ottoman reign, their Armenian identity was denied by the Republic of Turkey, and they were referred to as the Italian Balianis by official tour guides until the early 2000s.

Even more famous than the Balyan family, an architect living in the 16th century, Mimar (architect) Sinan (1489-1588) has left his mark all over the Ottoman Empire. He built 92 mosques, 55 schools, 36 palaces, 48 hamams (bathhouses), three hospitals, 20 inns, 10 bridges, six water channels, and hundreds of other government buildings—almost all of them still standing after five centuries. His masterpieces are the Suleymaniye Mosque in Istanbul and Selimiye Mosque in Edirne, which are both registered UNESCO World Heritage sites.

The average Turk knows Mimar Sinan as the “Great Turkish Architect Sinan,” and his name is given to Fine Arts and Architecture universities. But little is known about the fact that he was an Armenian from the Agirnas village of Kayseri province, seized away from his parents as a boy, Islamized, circumcised, and raised as soldier and subsequently as an architect by the state. When he died at the ripe age of 99, he was buried near Suleymaniye Mosque.

During the 1930s, the Turkish state was dominated by racist intellectuals who claimed that the Turkish race was superior to all other races and that there was a definable set of Turkish race characteristics in shape of skull and other features. To prove their point and to demonstrate that historically intelligent Turks match their defined racial characteristics, these so-called anthropology experts decided to exhume the remains of Architect Sinan, a most prominent Turk from the past. Unfortunately, Sinan’s skull did not match these experts’ theoretical Turkish skull dimensions, and as a result, the skull was kept hidden. To this day, the whereabouts of the skull is still unknown, and Sinan’s body lies in his grave without a head.

sinan-1024x496.jpg

A Turkish 10,000 lira note, featuring Mimar Sinan

Again in the 1930s, when President Mustafa Kemal decided to introduce the Latin alphabet and modernize the Turkish language, he turned to Professor Hagop (Agop) Martayan, a prominent linguist, to head the Turkish Language Council. As a reward for his services to the Turkish language, Kemal gave him a new surname, Dilacar, meaning “language opener.” In return, Martayan proposed the surname “Ataturk” to Kemal, which was eventually adopted by Parliament.

BeFunky-Collage-1-1024x557.jpg

Hagop Martayan, or Agop Dilaçar, was the first Secretary General and head specialist of the state-funded Turkish Language Institution (Türk Dil Kurumu, TDK) founded in 1932 in Ankara (Photos: Ara Guler)

When Martayan passed away in 1979, Turkish media announced his name as A. Dilacar, without ever mentioning his Armenian identity. In fact, some newspapers further distorted his name, calling him Adil Acar. After Mustafa Kemal became Ataturk, he needed to create a new signature, and he called upon another Armenian,  master calligrapher Vahram Çerçiyan (Jerjian). Çerçiyan’s Ataturk signature was adopted in 1934 and it appears on everything from Turkish banknotes to parliamentary records. Today, nearly nobody in Turkey remembers Çerçiyan.

1024px-Signature_of_Mustafa_Kemal_Atat%C

Çerçiyan’s Ataturk signature was adopted in 1934 and it appears on everything from Turkish banknotes to parliamentary records

In 1932, the Turkish government commissioned a prominent Armenian musicologist and conductor, Edgar Manas, to create the harmony and orchestration for the Turkish National Anthem based on a melody by a Turkish musician. Today, nobody remembers Edgar Manas in Turkey, even though his creation of the national anthem is sung every week in schools, stadiums and the parliament.

Edgar-Manas-228x300.jpg

Edgar Manas

In Turkish cinema, movie stars Adile Naşit, Toto Karaca, Vahi Oz, Sami Hazinses, and Kenan Pars are known all over Turkey, after making millions laugh or cry in their films over the years. But very few Turks know or acknowledge that these stars are all Armenian. They all had unique reasons for hiding their Armenian identities, and many of their true roots were revealed only after they passed away. Adile Nasit was Adile Keskiner (1930-1987), Toto Karaca was Irma Felegyan (1912-1992), Vahi Oz was Vahe Ozinyan (1911-1969), Sami Hazinses was Samuel Agop Ulucyan (1925-2002), and Kenan Pars was Kirkor Cezveciyan (1920-2008).

Composer_Dikran_Tchouhadjian-200x300.jpg

Dikran Çuhacıyan (Tchoukhajian)

The first opera in Turkey was staged in 1874 in Istanbul by an Armenian—it was composed, conducted, and produced by Dikran Çuhacıyan (Tchoukhajian) (1837-1898). Turkish sources deny this and cite Turkish singers for much later dates. The first theater production in Istanbul was staged six years earlier, in 1868, again by an Armenian by the name of Agop (Hagop) Vartovyan (1840-1902), also known as Güllü Agop and Yakub. Though it is safe to call Vartovyan the founder of modern Turkish Theatre, most Turkish sources deny this fact.

The first athletes representing Ottoman Turkey on the international stage were two Armenians and a Greek at the 1912 Olympic Games in Stockholm. The Armenians were Vahram Papazyan and Mgrditch Migiryan, both competing in track and field. Most Turkish sources deny this and cite Turkish athletes in later dates.

Examples of Armenian contributions, innovations or accomplishments, denied or forgotten in Turkey, can be seen in nearly every imaginable field of arts, science, business, finance, banking, engineering, and publishing in Ottoman or Republican Turkey. One of the best sources to comprehend the role of Armenians in Turkey is an incredibly detailed series of four books called Western Armenians Throughout History (Tarih boyunca Batı Ermenileri), in Turkish, authored by Professor Parsegh Tuglaciyan (1933-2016), better known as Pars Tuglaci.

athletes-1024x615.jpg

(L to R) Armenian athletes Mgrditch Migiryan and Vahram Papazyan

Tuglaciyan is the author of the first Turkish Encyclopedia called The Ocean Encyclopedia Dictionary and several other books. However, perhaps his lifetime achievement is this four volume history of Armenians, based on hundreds of thousands of meticulously researched documents. Each volume totals about 900 pages, covering the periods of 289-1850 (Vol. 1), 1850-1890 (Vol. 2), 1890-1923 (Vol. 3), and 1923-1966 (Vol. 4). His last volume was published in 2009 in Istanbul.

Unfortunately, after being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, he was not able to publish the fifth volume, which would have covered the period of 1966-2010.

photo-Pars-Yay%C4%B1n-209x300.jpg

The Cover of Tarih boyunca Batı Ermenileri, authored by Professor Parsegh Tuglaciyan, better known as Pars Tuglaci (Photo: Pars Yayın)

The most dramatic and indisputable evidence of the Armenian Genocide is in Tuglaciyan’s third volume (1890-1923), which reveals thousands of documents showing Armenian achievements in nearly every field imaginable, including within the Ottoman government. Until the mid-1910s, Armenians were prominent in all levels of the Ottoman Foreign Ministry and Embassies, indispensable in state enterprises and the Central Bank, and highly influential in the fields of business, art, science, academic institutions in Istanbul as well as all the Ottoman provinces. The dramatic disappearance of all these Armenian names in 1915 is evidence enough of the Armenian Genocide.

When I once asked Professor Tuglaciyan how he was allowed to publish such a critical book in Turkey, he had simply stated: “I am just presenting state documents showing promotions or rewards of Armenians in state bureaucracy, achievements of Armenians in arts, sciences and business, promotional ads of Armenian enterprises or cultural events. They all existed before 1915, but no more after 1915. Who can dispute that?’

In conclusion, I urge all Armenian scholars in Armenia and the diaspora to consider translating Professor Tuglaciyan’s hidden treasure to English and Armenian for future generations to better understand what we had, what we lost, and—perhaps most importantly—why we lost it.

https://armenianweek...menians-denied/

#1614 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:30 PM

Pan Armenian, Armenia
Dec 18 2017

250068.jpg
December 18, 2017 - 17:34 AMT

Ukraine's Armenians install khachkar in honor of Genocide victims

A khachkar was installed in the Ukrainian city of Kherson in honor of the memory of the Armenian Genocide victims, Analitikaua.Net reports.

The head of the Ukrainian Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church, Bishop Markos Hovhannisyan, consecrated the monument.

Representatives of Kherson regional and city authorities, the local Armenian community, clergy, heads of the Kherson regional organization of the Union of Armenians of Ukraine, guests from other cities took part in the opening of the khachkar.

Events dedicated to the Armenian Genocide are regularly organized in the regions of Ukraine and the capital.

At the initiative of the head of the Union of Armenians of Ukraine, Vilen Shatvoryan, more than 10 khachkars have been installed in different parts of the country within two years, another 10 khachkars are already in Ukraine, and the process of their installation in different cities has begun.

http://panarmenian.n...eng/news/250068

#1615 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:22 AM

WND.com
Dec 28 2017

Armenian genocide: The forgotten tragedy Bill Federer remembers 'mad bigotry and cruel fanaticism' of Muslim butchery Published: 17 hours ago

armenian_genocide6.jpg

A Turkish official teases starving Armenian children by showing them a piece of bread during the Armenian Genocide

According to ancient tradition, Noah’s Ark rested on Mount Ararat in the Armenian Mountain Range. Armenia’s Coat of Arms has Mount Ararat with Noah’s Ark on top.

Armenian historian Movses Khorenatsi (410-490 AD) recounted the tradition that Noah’s son Japheth had a descendant named Hayk who shot an arrow in a battle near Lake Van c.2,500 B.C. killing Nimrod, builder of the Tower of Babel – the first tyrant of the ancient world.

Hayk is the origin of “Hayastan,” the Armenian name for Armenia. Ancient Armenians may have had some relations with the Hittites and Hurrians, who inhabited that area known as Anatolia in the second millenium B.C.

Armenia’s major city of Yerevan, founded in 782 B.C. in the shadow of Mount Ararat, is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world. Armenia was mentioned in the Book of Isaiah (37:38), when King Sennacherib of Assyria invaded Judah around 701 B.C.

King Hezekiah and the Prophet Isaiah prayed and Judah was spared. Sennacherib returned to Assyria: “And it came to pass, as Sennacherib was worshipping in the house of Nisroch his god, that Adrammelech and Sharezer his sons smote him with the sword; and they escaped into the land of Armenia.”

Armenia was first mentioned by name in 520 B.C. by Darius the Great of Persia. The country’s borders reached their greatest extent under Armenia’s King Tigrane the Great, 95-55 B.C., reaching from the Caspian Sea to the Mediterranean Sea, pushing back the Parthians, Seleucids and the Roman Republic.

Saint Gregory the Illuminator is credited with turning Armenia from paganism to Christianity. Armenia was the first nation in the world to officially adopt Christianity as its state religion when King Tiridates III converted around 301 A.D.

Armenia’s thousands of years of history include independence, interspersed by occupations of Greeks, Romans, Persians, Byzantines, Mongols, Arabs, Ottoman Turks, and Russians.

In 704 A.D., Caliph Walid tricked Armenian nobles to meet in St. Gregory’s Church in Naxcawan and Church of Xram on the Araxis River and burned them to death.

Armenia’s medieval capitol of Ani was called “the city of a 1,001 churches,” with a population of 200,000, rivaling Constantinople, Baghdad and Damascus.

In 1064, Muslim Sultan Alp Arslan and his Seljuk Turkish army invaded and destroyed the city of Ani. Arab historian Sibt ibn al-Jawzi recorded: “The army entered the city, massacred its inhabitants, pillaged and burned it, leaving it in ruins. … Dead bodies were so many that they blocked the streets; one could not go anywhere without stepping over them. And the number of prisoners was not less than 50,000 souls. … I was determined to enter city and see the destruction with my own eyes. I tried to find a street in which I would not have to walk over the corpses; but that was impossible.”

Muslim Turks made conquered Christians, Jewish, and non-Muslim populations into second-class citizens called “dhimmi” and required them to ransom their lives once a year by paying an exorbitant “jizyah” tax.

Sultan Murat I (1359-1389) began the practice of “devshirme” – taking boys from the conquered Armenian and Greek families. These innocent boys were systematically traumatized and indoctrinated into becoming ferocious Muslim warriors called “Janissaries,” similar to Egypt’s “Mamluk” slave soldiers. Janissaries were forced to call the Sultan their father and were forbidden to marry, giving rise to depraved practices and the abhorrent pederasty of the Turks. For centuries Turks conquered throughout the Mediterranean, Middle East, Eastern Europe, Spain and North Africa, carrying tens of thousands into slavery.

Beginning in the early 1800s, the Turkish Ottoman Empire began to decline. Greece, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania won their independence.

When Armenia’s sentiments leaned toward independence, Sultan Abdul Hamid put an end to it by massacring 100,000 from 1894-1896.

President Grover Cleveland reported to Congress, Dec. 2, 1895: “Occurrences in Turkey have continued to excite concern. … Massacres of Christians in Armenia and the development … of a spirit of fanatic hostility to Christian influences … have lately shocked civilization.”

The next year, President Grover Cleveland addressed Congress, Dec. 7, 1896: “Disturbed condition in Asiatic Turkey … rage of mad bigotry and cruel fanaticism … wanton destruction of homes and the bloody butchery of men, women, and children, made martyrs to their profession of Christian faith. … Outbreaks of blind fury which lead to murder and pillage in Turkey occur suddenly and without notice. … It seems hardly possible that the earnest demand of good people throughout the Christian world for its corrective treatment will remain unanswered.”

President William McKinley told Congress, Dec. 5, 1898: “The … envoy of the United States to … Turkey … is … charged to press for a just settlement of our claims … of the destruction of the property of American missionaries resident in that country during the Armenian troubles of 1895.”

On Dec. 6, 1904, President Theodore Roosevelt reported to Congress of: “… systematic and long-extended cruelty and oppression … of which the Armenians have been the victims, and which have won for them the indignant pity of the civilized world.”

When Sultan Abdul Hamid II was deposed in 1908, there was a brief euphoria as citizens naively hoped Turkey would have a constitutional government. Instead, the government was taken over by the “Young Turks,” led by three leaders or “pashas”: Mehmed Talaat Pasha, Ismail Enver Pasha, and Ahmed Djemal Pasha. They acted as if they were planning democratic reforms while they clandestinely planned a genocidal scheme to rid the land of all who were not Muslims Turks.

The first step involved recruiting unsuspecting Armenian young men into the military. Next they made them “non-combatant” soldiers and took away their weapons. Finally, they marched them into the woods and deserts where they were ambushed and massacred.

With the Armenian young men gone, Armenian cities and villages were defenseless. Nearly 2 million old men, women and children were marched into the desert, thrown off cliffs or burnt alive. Entire Armenian communities were deported to the deserts of Syria and Mesopotamia where hundreds of thousands were killed or starved to death. Armenian cities of Kharpert, Van and Ani were leveled. Armenia briefly received aid from Russia until that country was overturned by Lenin’s Bolshevik revolution.

Similar to present-day headlines of the massacre of Christian minorities in Syria and Iraq, Theodore Roosevelt recorded the fate of Armenians in his 1916 book “Fear God and Take Your Own Part”: “Armenians, who for some centuries have sedulously avoided militarism and war … are so suffering precisely and exactly because they have been pacifists whereas their neighbors, the Turks, have … been … militarists. … During the last year and a half … Armenians have been subjected to wrongs far greater than any that have been committed since the close of the Napoleonic Wars. … Fearful atrocities. … Serbia is at this moment passing under the harrow of torture and mortal anguish. …”

Theodore Roosevelt continued: “Armenians have been butchered under circumstances of murder and torture and rape that would have appealed to an old-time Apache Indian. … The wholesale slaughter of the Armenians … must be shared by the neutral powers headed by the United States for their failure to protest when this initial wrong was committed. … Weak and timid milk-and-water policy of the professional pacifists is just as responsible as the blood-and-iron policy of the ruthless and unscrupulous militarist. … The crowning outrage has been committed by the Turks on the Armenians. They have suffered atrocities so hideous that it is difficult to name them, atrocities such as those inflicted upon conquered nations by the followers of Attila and of Genghis Khan.

“It is dreadful to think that these things can be done and that this nation nevertheless remarks ‘neutral not only in deed but in thought,’ between right and the most hideous wrong, neutral between despairing and hunted people, people whose little children are murdered and their women raped, and the victorious and evil wrong-doers. … I trust that all Americans worthy of the name feel their deepest indignation and keenest sympathy aroused by the dreadful Armenian atrocities. I trust that they feel … that a peace obtained without … righting the wrongs of the Armenians would be worse than any war.”

Historian Arnold Toynbee wrote: “The Turks draft the criminals from their prisons into the Gendarmeri (military police) to exterminate the Armenian race. … In 1913 the Turkish Army was engaged in exterminating the Albanians … Greeks and Slavs left in the territory. … The same campaign of extermination has been waged against the Nestorian Christians on the Persian frontier. … In Syria there is a reign of terror. …”

Toynbee continued: “Turkish rule … is … slaughtering or driving from their homes, the Christian population. … Only a third of the two million Armenians in Turkey have survived, and that at the price of apostatizing to Islam or else of leaving all they had and fleeing across the frontier. …”

Armenia’s pleas at the Paris Peace Conference led Democrat President Wilson in a failed effort to make Armenia a U.S. protectorate. Woodrow Wilson, who was born Dec. 28, 1856, addressed Congress, May 24, 1920: “The Senate Committee on Foreign Relations has established the truth of the reported massacres and other atrocities from which the Armenian people have suffered. … deplorable conditions of insecurity, starvation, and misery now prevalent in Armenia. … Sympathy for Armenia among our people has sprung from untainted consciences, pure Christian faith and an earnest desire to see Christian people everywhere succored in their time of suffering.”

On Aug. 29, 2014, the California Senate unanimously passed the Armenian Genocide Education Act mandating that among the human rights subjects covered in public schools, instruction shall be made of the genocide committed in Armenia at the beginning of the 20th century.

Brought to you by AmericanMinute.com.

http://www.wnd.com/2...gotten-tragedy/

#1616 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

ArmenPress News Agency, Armenia
December 27, 2017 Wednesday

Armenia to launch recognition, condemnation process of Genocide in European countries

YEREVAN, DECEMBER 27, ARMENPRESS. Armenia will begin a recognition and condemnation process of the Armenian Genocide in several European countries in 2018, Vice-Speaker of the Parliament Eduard Sharmazanov told a press conference.

“In 2018, we will launch this process in at least 2-3 European countries. I can’t say that it will have a successful end at once in 2018, but the process must be launched”, he said.

He added that the process must begin regarding one issue, which President Sargsyan talked about at the UN summit. “2018 is the 70th anniversary of the UN Convention on condemning genocides. And at the basis of the adoption of this convention, Raphael Lenkin put forward the “genocide” term, which was based on the Armenian Genocide. The 70th anniversary of this convention must unite all states, all human rights organizations, for democracy, for protection of human rights and against the occurrence of genocide. And we must do our best so that both the Armenian Genocide and other genocides of the 20th century receive clear punishment”, he said.

Sharmazanov found the current year to be positive in terms of the international recognition of the Armenian Genocide, citing the Czech Republic’s Parliamentary adoption of a relevant resolution.

#1617 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

AB Newswire
December 28, 2017 Thursday

THE FIRST TO CAPTURE THE 1915 ARMENIAN TRAGEDY THROUGH AN “ANATOLIAN FAIRYTALE” – ‘LOST BIRDS’ BY AREN PERDECI + ELA ALYAMAC
Posted on  December 27, 2017
1514338927.png

LOST BIRDS // TRICOAST ENTERTAINMENT
As the first Turkish film to tackle the 1915 Armenian tragedy through the point of view of innocent children, ‘Lost Birds’ is an ‘Anatolian Fairytale’ – a magical realism.

Los Angeles, CA – December 27, 2017 –

An ‘Anatolian Fairytale’ filmed through innocent eyes.

TriCoast Entertainment is thrilled to release Kara Kedi Films’ three-time award winning Turkish historical and emotional drama, “LOST BIRDS” is an ‘Anatolian Fairytale’ – a touching and powerful narrative told through the innocent eyes of young siblings, Bedo and Maryam, who were left behind during the mass deportations of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire in 1915.

Stuck inside a ghost town with no one in sight besides their bird ‘Bacik’, Bedo and Maryam set off on a dangerous, desperate trek to find their mother. 

f5b4bc501ca049e112a33bf5064c046b.png

Brought to the screen by five years of work from dedicated and persistent filmmakers, Ela Alyamac (“Fairy Dust”) and Aren Perdeci, “LOST BIRDS” is a children’s tale set against the backdrop of the First World War in a small Armenian village, revolutionary for being the first Turkish film to tackle the 1915 Armenian tragedy.

Considered an ‘Anatolian Fairytale’ for its emphasis on family and love, especially during a time of violent conflict, told through the eyes of innocent children. Though an emotional and heartbreaking topic, there is magic in the fairytale aspect which provides viewers with innocent and young views on culture, how people look at existence, and the lengths ones will go to reunite with their loved ones.

Lost Birds has a poignant story and great performances from the young actors, as well as stunning and poetic visuals with beautiful music that sings to the soul. It ends on a bittersweet note, which resonates with the audience for days. The film is a labor of love that has been hand crafted for every small detail. Armenian actors, all descendents of the Ottoman Armenians give natural yet very powerful performances, opening a window to a time gone by,” wrote Aida Takla O’Reilly for the Golden Globes, Foreign Language Films (HFPA). 

06cc72581f59c29382d18d8908614554.jpg

Though many believe that Turkish fairytales were used to re-invent and redefine their new country after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire.

Speaking on the subject of Turkish fairytales, both Aren and Ela emphasized the film’s aim to expose the true and entirety of this historical event. In an interview with Simone ZoppellaroYerevanEla spoke about the fairytale/historical combination of “LOST BIRDS”, stating, “We follow them to an orphanage life which is led by a Swiss German missionary woman, all these things and more were written according to historical facts but because we experience them through the eyes of Bedo and Maryam, who were left behind during the exile, and who have a special World of their own, we experience it all in a fairytale like atmosphere. The story of Bedo and Maryam who loose their family overnight will echo the stories of thousands of Armenian orphans. In ‘Lost Birds’ we were able to capture something real and very magical at the same time.

“LOST BIRDS” stars several magnificent first-time actors, including the emotional capture of innocence through children eyes by Heros Agopyan as ‘Bedo’ and Dila Uluca as ‘Maryam’. Alongside is Sarkis Acemyan as ‘Grandpa Yetvart’, Arto Arsenyan as ‘Father Mesrop’, and Takuhi Bahar as ‘Kinar’. 

511655d5747f9a96393788812fcde37b.jpg

“LOST BIRDS” will be available on VOD platforms beginning January 1st, right in time to honor Armenian Christmas on January 6th on platforms: iTunes, Google Play, Microsoft Xbox, Sony Playstation, Hoopla, Vudu, DISH/Sling, and InDemand.

Watch the trailer for “LOST BIRDS” here: https://vimeo.com/201209025

For more information, please visit the film’s official site: http://www.lostbirdsfilm.com/

1974e3c882c206b8a614746fdb003531.png

LOST BIRDS (2017, 90 min.) Written and directed by Ela Alyamac and Aren Perdeci. Editor: Ela Alyamac, Aren Perdeci. Cinematographer: Aren Perdeci. Sound department: Eli Haligua, Burak Topalakci, Caglar Yesilay. US. English. Kara Kedi Films, TriCoast Entertainment.

PRODUCTION COMPANY: Kara Kedi Films

About TriCoast Entertainment:

A new home for story-driven American films, TriCoast Entertainment is a full service media company that creates, produces, manages and distributes unique and unusual entertainment. Bringing together filmmakers, distributors, financiers, and technologists, TriCoast Entertainment embraces change by redefining the production and distribution model for indie filmmakers, providing them with low cost tools, financing, and worldwide theatrical and digital distribution, along with market feedback and storytelling opportunities.

Media Contact
Company Name: TriCoast Entertainment 
Contact Person: Jenna Wilen
Email: Send Email
Phone: 310 458 7707
Address:11124 Washington Blvd 
City: Culver City
State: CA

http://www.abnewswir...mac_173525.html

#1618 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:25 AM

The Armenian Weekly
Jan 2 2017

‘They Shall Not Perish’ Armenian Genocide Documentary Now Streaming on Netflix

By Weekly Staff on January 2, 2018

WATERTOWN, Mass. (A.W.)—The Armenian Genocide documentary “They Shall Not Perish” is now streaming on the popular on-demand video service Netflix.

Netflix-1024x516.png

The Armenian Genocide documentary “They Shall Not Perish” is now streaming on the popular on-demand video service Netflix (Screenshot: Netflix.com)

Written and directed by George Billard and produced by Near East Foundation Board Chairman Emeritus Shant Mardirossian, the film is an in-depth look into the efforts of the Near East Relief (NER) to raise funds and save thousands of orphans of the Armenian Genocide.

Speaking to the Armenian Weekly’s Rupen Janbazian last October, Mardirossian said that his number-one priority was to get as many people to watch the film and learn about the Armenian Genocide and about the mass relief effort. “We are currently finalizing an agreement with Netflix, which will have it be available to Netflix customers starting Jan. 2018,” Mardirossian said during the Oct. 2017 interview. “We’ve also partnered with Facing History and Ourselves, an organization that promotes the teaching and education of the Holocaust, the Armenian Genocide, and other dark chapters of history that need to be taught. They will be using the film as a part of their revised Armenian Genocide curriculum,” Mardirossian added.

NER’s response to reports of “race extermination” against the Armenians, Assyrians, Greeks, and other Christian minorities of the Ottoman Empire is considered to be the United States’ first collective display of overseas humanitarian aid. In 15 years, NER would raise more than $116 million and mobilize hundreds of volunteers to help the effort.

The documentary has been available on Netlflix since Jan. 1.

https://armenianweek...eaming-netflix/

#1619 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

News.am, Armenia
Jan 5 2018

Argentina Armenian: My grandpa Guiragos saw how his entire family was slaughtered during Genocide
18:10, 05.01.2018

default.jpg

The Demirdjians, a family from the city of Rosario, Argentina, are a team of audiovisual producers and documentary film makers, and also the granddaughters of the Armenian Genocide survivors and the third generation of Armenians born in Argentina.

Several years ago they made a film about their grandfather Guiragos titled “GUIRAGOS, A Child Survivor’s Story”.

“This documentary tells the story of our grandfather, and includes a part dedicated to journalist Hrant Dink. It was filmed in Armenia and Argentina. We believe that it is interesting, we have made more than 100 exhibitions of the documentary, and more than 5000 people attended to see it,” granddaughter Delfina Demirdjian said.

sabrina%20delfina%20florencia%20demirdji

“Our grandfather, Guiragos, was born on September 27, 1908 in Yozgat, which was later seized by Turkey during the revolution perpetrated by the Young Turkish military officers. Our grandfather was 7 years old on April 24, 1915. That was the last night he spent with his family. Sitting on his grandfather’s knees, Guiragos felt his face wet, and wondered why.  Years later, he would realize that it was his grandfather’s tears rolling down his long white beard and getting down on his own face. That night he saw how his entire family was slaughtered. Only our grandfather, two of his brothers and some cousins, were able to escape,” she said.

Days later, Guiragos was caught and deported to Aleppo, to the Syrian desert with his two brothers and cousins. The caravans’ final destination was death. In the following months, the Turks carried out the plan of forced mass deportation to the Syrian Desert.

“Besides surviving death, our grandfather had to endure the death marches, and in those subhuman conditions, he faced horror over and over again. One night, they took his little brother away, who was sleeping in the tent, by his side. That would torment him for the rest of his life.”

In 1927, only 77,435 out of 2,100,000 Armenians remained alive. Guiragos was 19 when he came to Argentina where our grandfather met Assanna, another survivor from the genocide. They got married and had three children.

“We are three of his ten grandchildren, who went back to Armenia… 100 years later…,” Delfina emphasized.

sabrina%20florencia%20delfina%20demirdji

The Demirdjians are one of 50 families living in Rosario. Thanks to their efforts, Yerevan State University (YSU) and Yerevan Brusov State University of Languages and Social Sciences signed an agreement with the National University of Rosario (UNR - Argentina) to open an Argentinean corner in Yerevan. The institutions will begin to work with proposals such as a student exchange with the YSU.

https://news.am/eng/news/428094.html

• MosJan likes this

#1620 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

Very touching and emotional reading, thank you kind Indian soldier!

The Armenian Mirror Spectator
Jan 11 2018

The Long-Lost Story of an Indian Rescue during the Armenian Genocide
January 11, 2018
7-3-696x482.jpg

By Artsvi Bakhchinyan

YEREVAN — In the run-up to the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, more and more incidents and details came to light, many touching on unexpected subjects and geographic settings. In 2012, during a visit to Yerevan to take part in the “Strategies of (Un)Silencing” conference, organized by the late Armenian-American art historian and curator Neery Melkonian, the famous contemporary Indian writer Amitav Ghosh presented a lecture based on his work, “Shared Sorrows: Indians and Armenians in the prison camps of Ras al-Ain, 1916-1918,” and it came as a major revelation to all of us.(See the full text of the paper in amitavghosh.com/blog/?cat=23.)

We learned that in April 1916 a large number of British-Indian troops fighting in Iraq fell prisoner to the Ottoman army. Some of them were sent to the prison camp of Ras al-Ain in northern Syria to work on the railroad line, this at a time when thousands of Armenians filled the deportation routes. Indian and Armenian prisoners crossed paths and their lives sometimes intertwined. Years later, Sisir Sarbadhikari, who had been a volunteer in the Bengali emergency aid organization, wrote a memoir based on his diary of his years in the Middle East. This Bengali work, published in 1958, received little attention at the time and was soon forgotten. Amitav Ghosh presented us with some of the contacts Sarbadhakari had with Armenians in those years.

This reality, previously unknown to specialists in the Armenian Genocide, found an echo in a July 13, 1919 article published in Zhoghovurt, an Armenian newspaper in Constantinople. It told the truly moving story of an Armenian orphan boy whom an Indian soldier had rescued from Turks and delivered to the director of an Armenian school. The author of the account was Mesrob Sahagian (1889-1968), a lawyer and editor from Malatia who, under the pen name Sahag Mesrob, contributed to the Armenian press of Constantinople (Istanbul), France and the United States between 1910 and 1919.

We here offer Sahag Mesrob’s account, especially for those interested in the Armenian genocide and Armenian-Indian relations.

The Indian’s Gift

by Sahag Mesrob

Suddenly a tall Indian soldier entered my room. He had a noticeably robust bearing and showed signs of being fresh off the road. He held a folder of papers in one hand and in the other the hand of a boy barely 5 years who, like him, seemed quite travel weary. With his feeble hands fixed at his sides and his head hanging down, the child seemed to be fatalistically waiting to see what the soldier had in store for him.

I looked up, breaking off my reading of a letter that had come to me from an untimely world, a cry loosened from the boundless sands of the desert, a ghost, a storm — a plea for help for those wasting away on burning sands, for those Armenian orphans and martyrs languishing unprotected under tents, for those sacred souls snatched away from their lives.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“You are the director of the Armenian school,” he said.

“Yes.”

“Mr. Director, take this little Armenian orphan given to me by a Turkish officer in Kirkuk. He spoke Turkish and at first, we thought he was the officer’s child or relative. We only discovered that he was Armenian later. One day, when we had an Armenian interpreter with us, we stopped near a camp of Armenian prisoners and suddenly this little fellow burst out sobbing and crying ‘mommy, mommy!’ in the Armenian language. With that cry of ‘mommy, mommy’ he revealed his true identity. I heard that you were searching for the remnants of your people, so I offer him to you as a gift from an Indian soldier who came to these far-off deserts to fight against tyranny in the name of civilization and freedom.”

I was struck dumb. I couldn’t say a thing. I couldn’t even manage a thank you. I could only listen wide-eyed to what this kind Indian soldier said and his words, spoken in his flowing, Indian accented English, echoed in my ears after he fell silent. He stood there before me for a long time while I returned from that world of sorrow to the present moment. I was shaken and I begged his pardon.

“I am very grateful to you for this immortal and moving gift. I’d like to have your name so that the donor may always be remembered.”

“That isn’t important. I don’t want anyone to know. All you need to know is that the donor is an Indian Christian.”

“But the boy should at least know some day who saved him so that he can always remember,” I pressed. “Please give me your name so that I can record it.”

“It is not at all necessary,” he insisted. “Just remember and tell him that an Indian Christian found him in the desert and delivered him to his own. That is enough,” and, so saying, he hugged the little boy, pressed him tight against his breast with parental love, kissed him on the eyes and left. . .

The little child stood before me in my room, now completely alone. He looked at me looking at him with a thousand emotions surging through my heart. I was shaken to the core of my being. I was trembling and felt hot tears clinging to my cheeks.

This little orphan, this little fragment of his people, suddenly began to break down too. What transpired between his heart and mine no one can say. It is enough to know that he had a good, long cry. A couple of hours later when he began to feel hungry he barely raised his troubled head to accept a piece of bread.

Today, a month later, he is in the care of an American orphanage and attending one of the Armenian schools of Baghdad, this gift from an Indian soldier. In just that one month he has made considerable progress in learning his ancestral language and is very enthusiastic. He is always singing, singing away, seeming to find in the waves of song a way to dispel the worries of his childhood. He sings without understanding the words, but he seems to gain a lot of meaning from the melodies, for it must surely be the spirit of his people in those melodies that moves his lips to flights of yearning song. And today he has a name, a name I gave him: Hratch Hntgazadian. (The root of the name “Hntgazad” means “freed by an Indian.”) All his little classmates and everyone who meets him know him by that name and he, unconsciously, seems to be very pleased with it: Hratch Hntgazadian!

And to think that one day a son of far off India would come to Mesopotamia to find and rescue an Armenian orphan boy out of the hands of a Turkish criminal and return him to his own, saying, “Take this little boy. Let him be a gift to you from an Indian soldier. . .”

Indian soldier, may your gift be blessed. . .

(Translated by Donald Abcarian. The piece originally appeared in Vartan Matiossian’s blog, Armeniaca.)

https://mirrorspecta...enian-genocide/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users