#1 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:57 PM

THOSE STRANGE SOUNDING ARMENIAN FAMILY NAMES
Have you ever thought about the meaning of "ian"? Most Armenian names end in "ian" or "yan," meaning the "son of ," but some Diaspora Armenians have changed these endings to blend in their host societies. Today in Turkey "oglu" often replaces "ian," while Russian Armenians may change the endings to "ov"; e.g., Gary Kasparov, Serge Parajanov. A name ending in "ian" is not always exclusively Armenian, since the ending can also be occasionally found in names in Irish, Persian, English, Philippine and some other cultures.

Armenian last names generally fall into five specific categories: Aristocracy, Parent, Geography, Occupation or Trait.

Aristocracy
The ancient Armenian aristocracy ("Nakharar" class) was derived from Parthian-Persian stock and many of their names ended in "uni" or "ooni." Most of these families were destroyed over the centuries but some still survive today; e.g., Sasuni, Rshtuni.

Parent
Many Armenian names are derived from the first names of an ancestor,; e.g., Davidian, "son of David," Stepanian, "son of Stepan," or Krikorian, "son of Krikor/Grigor." Until the 19th century, virtually all first names had a religious origin, so most of those last names are also religious.

Geography
Some last names are based on geographic origin and end in "lian" (Turkish) or "tsian" (Armenian). Typical examples are Sivaslian "from Sivas," Urfalian "from Urfa" and Vanetzian "from Van." These names were typically given to an immigrant who migrated from a different region of Armenia. Obviously everyone living in Marash would not call himself or herself "Marashlian".

Occupation
Most last names were taken from the professions of an ancestor. These names frequently originated with the tax collectors who needed to identify all individuals for tax purposes. Typical examples are Najarian "son of a carpenter," Arabian "son of a wagon/ teamster," and Vosgarichian "son of a goldsmith." Many of these occupations are not Armenian, since the tax man (typically a Moslem Turk, Persian, Arab, etc.) would use his own native word for the occupation; e.g., the name Boyajian is based on the Arab/Turkish term "boyaji" "one who dyes."

Trait
The most confusing and curious names are those based on some trait of an ancestor. Typical examples are Topalian "son of the cripple," Dilsizian "son of the tongueless one," or Sinanian "son of the spearpoint." Many of the origins of these names are unclear unless one understands the original context. As an example, Dilsizian indicates that an ancestor had his tongue cut out by the Turks for using the Armenian language, while the term "Sinan" was a slang term applied to somebody either with a very erect military-like carriage or who was "hung like a horse." Some of these traits are not physical, but rather reflect personality or social status; e.g., Melikian "son of the king" or Harutunian "son of the resurrection." The name Harutunian could be based on an ancestor named Harutune (so-named because he was born around Eastertime), or adopted by a convert to Protestantism to show his status as a "born-again Christian."

Many last names today have been shortened or modified to aid pronunciations by non-Armenians; e.g., the name "Mugerditchian/ Mkrtichian" becomes "Mugar," "Husseniglian," becomes "Hewsen," and "Samourkashian" becomes "Samour." These abbreviated names often drop the "ian" ending, and are not immediately identifiable as being Armenian to an outsider.

The name categories of Occupation and Trait can differ significantly between Eastern Armenians and Western Armenians, since the eastern names often have Persian, Georgian or Russian roots, while the western names may have Turkish, Arab, or Greek roots. Names with the prefix "Der" or "Ter" show that one of the ancestors was a "Der Hayr" (a married parish priest), a position of great social status among Armenians; e.g., DerBedrosian, Ter Petrosian.

The study of Armenian Names is a fascinating exercise, since virtually every aspect of the culture is reflected in names. There have been extensive studies of Armenian names in the Armenian language, but little has appeared in English and many Armenians (born outside of Armenia) do not understand the significance of their own names.

#2 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:19 PM

ian" or "yan," meaning the "son of

The author of this article is Armenian 'wanna be'... smile.gif

"Ian" simply means "belonging to", "possesson of", 'related to', "comming from", exactly the same way as the slavonic "OV".

JohanSON, PeterSON, etc.. may mean SON OF as well as IBN or BEN Eliazer, (son of), or BEN Gurion, etc...

The word for SON in Armenian is VORTI or DGHA. In Armenian there is no word 'IAN'. Ian is just ending just like in Latin and English - example: CanadIAN! smile.gif

BTW, while 'ian' is perfect Armenian native ending indicating possesion, like in "Nairian aghchigner" or "Hovagimian aiky", it was not the typical Armenian surname ending until late 18 century. Indeed, before that the surname was formed eihter by a short father's name of the person or geographic location, profession, social status, etc..

Edited by gamavor, 30 August 2005 - 11:27 PM.

#3 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (gamavor @ Aug 30 2005, 11:19 PM)

"Ian" simply means "belonging to", "possesson of", 'related to', "comming from", exactly the same way as the slavonic "OV".

JohanSON, PeterSON, etc.. may mean SON OF as well as IBN or BEN Eliazer, (son of), or BEN Gurion, etc...

The word for SON in Armenian is VORTI or DGHA.  In Armenian there is no word 'IAN'. Ian is just ending just like in Latin and English - example: CanadIAN! smile.gif

BTW, while 'ian' is perfect Armenian native ending indicating possesion, like in "Nairian aghchigner" or "Hovagimian aiky", it was not the typical Armenian surname ending until late 18 century. Indeed, before that the surname was formed eihter by a short father's name of the person or geographic location, profession, social status, etc..

...you really should type out an article and have it published,you posses a wealth of information....

Edited by Maral, 31 August 2005 - 12:00 AM.

#4 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (gamavor @ Aug 30 2005, 10:19 PM)

... and there are other omisions and misinformation...

#5 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:42 PM

also the author fails to mention anything about such last names as

Banants
Bakunts
Aryants

and yes I agree "IAN" simply means belonging to not son of. In fact it is supposed to be "EAN" as in European.

Edited by kakachik77, 31 August 2005 - 12:44 PM.

#6 Vanetsi

Vanetsi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:05 PM

In fact it is supposed to be "EAN" as in European.

What difference does it make? The English spelling has no significance---it's only a transliteration.

#7 flyhye

flyhye

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

I am Ter Galustian, (Galstian)

how about Nor-Askharian, anyone know about that?

#8 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:19 PM

Nor ashkhar is a fruit. It's probably not the original name of the fruit, and has something to do with immigration and seeing that fruit for the first time in a 'new world,' but that it what my family calls the fruit. It is a sweet, berry-like fruit, with a large seed in the center. It's orange in color.

Not sure if you were taking the piss out of that last name, or seriously asking about it. But there we go.

---

Totally unrelated, but how come many Hayastantsi surnames get rid of some of the vowels?

Ex: Galustian --> Galstian
Ex: Sargisian --> Sargsian

Has it got anything to do with transliterating to Russian?

#9 flyhye

flyhye

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (Gor-Gor @ Nov 13 2005, 11:19 PM)
Nor ashkhar is a fruit. It's probably not the original name of the fruit, and has something to do with immigration and seeing that fruit for the first time in a 'new world,' but that it what my family calls the fruit. It is a sweet, berry-like fruit, with a large seed in the center. It's orange in color.

Not sure if you were taking the piss out of that last name, or seriously asking about it. But there we go.

---

Totally unrelated, but how come many Hayastantsi surnames get rid of some of the vowels?

It's always good to know. I knew of one family with that last name.

#10 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (flyhye @ Nov 13 2005, 10:36 PM)
I am Ter Galustian, (Galstian)

how about Nor-Askharian, anyone know about that?

Is that family of Zeituntsi heritage? Most many are.
They are descended from the princely clan of the same name.
One of my great aunts by marriage, orphaned in 1915 was descended from that family.
At times they have also used the Turkish variant of it.
The legend goes: At one time during the early 1800’s the founder of the clan had taken refuge in Zeitun after having killed a Turkish bully userer who had abducted an Armenian maiden. When he arrived at Zeitun and given haven he is reported to have said; Aah! Nor ashkharh yeka!
If you search the internet you will find several entries of Norashkarian.
BTW. That fruit GorGor is describing is known as loquat .

http://www.hort.purd...tml#Description

#11 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:09 AM

Arpa, there is a guy who is working at my house doing my hardfood floors and his name is, ASKANAZ
does this name has its roots to ashkanatsi jews and khazars?

#12 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (Gor-Gor @ Nov 14 2005, 12:19 AM)

---

Gorgor, the vowel thing is very Eastern Armenian. The Russian language really had not connection to it. It is mostly from Eastern Armenian dialects that cut the vowels to ease the pronunciation of the word. I would even be willing to argue that this influence is more from Farsi or Turkish but since I don't speak any of these languages I can't be sure.

#13 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:19 PM

^ Cool, thanks for clearing that up!

#14 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Edward @ Nov 14 2005, 04:09 PM)
Arpa, there is a guy who is working at my house doing my hardfood floors and his name is, ASKANAZ
does this name has its roots to ashkanatsi jews and khazars?

Hi Ed.
Does this person have any connection with those fundamentalist Armenian sects.
I have know one other person with that name. It is very rare.
Yes it is connected to the Jewish Ashkenazis.
I will write an expanded version under the subject topic of History.

#15 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Nov 16 2005, 07:32 PM)
Hi Ed.

this name is present in Armenia, we have family friends, no connection to any sects.

#16 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Nov 16 2005, 04:32 PM)
Hi Ed.

this is funny smile.gif I asked him today the same question and he was suprised to know his name has roots pointing Khazars so i spended 2 hours teaching him about Khazars and where do ashkanatziz come from.......in the end (and this is the funny part) he said iyaaa vay yes drabts ****************************** poxelu em anuns ed jan, to anwser to your question Arpa jan no, he is just a regular Armenian guy just came from Armenia, no clue what so ever, in fact he is a war (Artsax war) veteran

#17 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Edward @ Nov 17 2005, 02:17 AM)
this is funny smile.gif I asked him today the same question and he was suprised to know his name has roots pointing Khazars so i spended 2 hours teaching him about Khazars and where do ashkanatziz come from.......in the end (and this is the funny part) he said iyaaa vay yes drabts ****************************** poxelu em anuns ed jan, to anwser to your question Arpa jan no, he is just a regular Armenian guy just came from Armenia, no clue what so ever, in fact he is a war (Artsax war) veteran

As stated above I had met one other person with that name, and if I remember correctly he was somehow fundamentalistic like some people who name their children Abisoghom , Yezekiel etc.
However I was surprised to know how many “askanazes” turned up when I ran a google and google-Am. Most of them seemed to be in or from Amenia.
Here is the reason why.
Ed tell your friend not to worry Askanaz and Askenaz are totally Armenian those stories below are total lies to have us believe that the entire mankind descended from you-know-Hew.

Ashkenaz
one of the three sons of Gomer (Gen. 10:3), and founder of one of the tribes of the Japhetic race
They are mentioned in connection with Minni and Ararat, and hence their original seat must have been in Armenia (Jer. 51:27), probably near the Black Sea, which, from their founder, was first called Axenus, and afterwards the Euxine.

Gomer
Meaning: complete; vanishing
The eldest son of Japheth, and father of Ashkenaz, Riphath, and Togarmah (Gen. 10:2, 3), whose descendants formed the principal branch of the population of Southeastern Europe. He is generally regarded as the ancestor of the Celtae and the Cimmerii, who in early times settled to the north of the Black Sea, and gave their name to the Crimea, the ancient Chersonesus Taurica. Traces of their presence are found in the names Cimmerian Bosphorus, Cimmerian Isthmus, etc. In the seventh century B.C. they were driven out of their original seat by the Scythians, and overran western Asia Minor, whence they were afterwards expelled. They subsequently reappear in the times of the Romans as the Cimbri of the north and west of Europe, whence they crossed to the British Isles, where their descendants are still found in the Gaels and Cymry. Thus the whole Celtic race may be regarded as descended from Gomer.

According to another source Askenaz is supposed to have been around Lake Van, yet the Armenian sources place it further east near the River Kura, and that they had at times allied with the Urartians against the Assyrians.
We already know that Togarmah is supposed to be connected to Torgom and the dynasty of Tork of Anggh.
In present Jewish culture the Ashkenazis are Jews from Germany as opposed to Sephardics from Spain.

#18 Katherine

Katherine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:55 PM

Can anybody tell me anything about Chatoian?

#19 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:28 AM

How about Afrikyan? (Don't know the exact spelling.)

#20 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 01:44 AM

How about Afrikyan? (Don't know the exact spelling.)

What? You don't know what A-FREAK-IAN means???

Can anybody tell me anything about Chatoian?

I really don't know. smile.gif

Edited by gamavor, 08 December 2005 - 01:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users