Photo

Hell

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: what do you believe?

what do you believe?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:02 PM

I guess I am a liar after all. tongue.gif

On the other hand, I think Hell is real. I've looked at it in the face not long ago. I've sent a link college wide to one image which mistakenly had a password included, thus everyone was able to view my entire photo album. Needless to say that I had one very racy photo of myself.... That meant that about 500+ people would have been greeting me in a very different way. I lost my sanity and started feverishly deleting my entire web album. I lost all of my pics. sad.gif If that is not hell, then I don't know what is.

#22 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:14 PM

Wow Ani - sorry to hear that..I can see how that would be disturbing....and yes - I think that is certainly a more convincing and viable description of hell then the other(s) etc

Funny (along these lines...and hope you don't mind me going on about a story related to your misery...) - a co-worker of mine a ways back once lent me this book to read. When I opened it up out popped some pics...of his g/f...nude & such...ooops...I handed him the book back and suggested he check it out first before lending it to me...he was (seemed) very embarrased...but I don't know - maybe he was trying to give me some ideas - don''t know...but I didn't take the bait...

#23 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 12:42 AM

Aaaah ... only if hell meant having access to "racy" photos of Anileve kewlpics.gif ... or Nairi or Extra or Maral or Stormig or Anoushik for that matter!

lamo.gif

#24 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jun 22 2004, 01:42 AM)
Aaaah ... only if hell meant having access to "racy" photos of Anileve kewlpics.gif ... or Nairi or Extra or Maral or Stormig or Anoushik for that matter!

lamo.gif

Yes, and exactly (or well somewhat like) the point I made in another thread about sitting in the smoking section on airplanes...its all in the company you keep...but poor girl - hopefully just her fears and no actual "damage"...but perhaps you (Ani)should email Sip & I the pic so we can determine just how "damaging" it is...I'm sure that you are perhaps overeacting - no? tongue.gif oops.gif cool2.gif

#25 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 07:43 AM

Yes, that racy hell is more realistic than my hippo-elephant concoction. oops.gif OK, I change my mind once again. tongue.gif

#26 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 07:45 AM

Actually, I got some pretty racy pics, too, except they're not online, thank goodness. Anyone wanna break into my computer? biggrin.gif
Sorry, I'm just bored from writing thousands of words. :|

#27 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (Stormig @ Jun 22 2004, 08:45 AM)
Actually, I got some pretty racy pics, too, except they're not online, thank goodness. Anyone wanna break into my computer? biggrin.gif
Sorry, I'm just bored from writing thousands of words. :|

Feel free to email those to Sip & I as well... toot.gif shocking.gif whistling.gif

#28 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:35 AM

Why would I selflessly give around what causes people hell? dry.gif biggrin.gif

#29 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:00 AM

That wasn't smart on my behalf to keep a racy picture in my web album. So I basically got what I deserve. I think at some point in panic I've called a friend who works in a different department and started screaming at him to check if he was able to view all of the photos. He confirmed and got to about my 3rd photo, it was a photo of a curvaceous tree, the rest turned into those familiar little "x'es". I don't think I've ever been so welcoming to that nasty sign that we get when the link is broken.

QUOTE (Stormig)
Why would I selflessly give around what causes people hell?

lol.gif

That would be my reason not to send THOTH or Sip my photos as well. I've been classified as a sinner by Sasun so I shall repent my sins and refrain from committing hellish acts. Sasun are you proud of me? Do I get to go to the "Pearly Gates" DO I? DO I? DO I?

#30 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 22 June 2004 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (anileve @ Jun 22 2004, 01:00 PM)
Sasun are you proud of me?

I am quite proud of you smile.gif

As to sharing your photoes, as soon as you found out, instead of panicking you should have just changed your password wink.gif (and inform the folks that you were only trying to save them from hell if they complained)

#31 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 10:58 PM

Adrian Barnett

I have a problem with is the idea that atheists do not believe in an afterlife or a "meaning" to life, therefore they can have no respect for life and have no problem with killing people. It's as if we watch these horrors on the evening news and either roll about laughing, or think "Great! Another worthless life freed from this bleak torment."

It may be stating the obvious, but it needs to be remembered that many wars, conflicts and persecutions throughout human history have been caused by religious belief of one sort or another. The idea that anyone who believes in a deity is physically incapable of performing any antisocial act is clearly ludicrous, and yet that is what the Religious Right seem to be pushing. If everyone believes in Jesus then there will instantly be no more crime, no more unhappiness, and I guess no more acne either.

A moment's thought should be enough to realise that, if anything, atheists should have more respect for life. We know that this is the only life we get, and we are incredibly lucky to be conscious and aware of the amazing world we live in. We know that if someone's life ends, then that's the end of them. No afterlife, no reincarnation, nothing.

Why on earth would we want to terminate someone's one and only chance at experiencing the pleasure of simply being alive?!?

To turn it round a bit, if you believe that people simply "move on" into an afterlife of some sort, why should that promote respect for life now? If someone dies, hey so what, they'll just go to Heaven and spend trillions of years in extreme bliss. If people really thought that, then a major road-accident should be met with something between indifference and joy. They've gone to Heaven and when I get there I'll see them again (theists generally seem to have no doubts that they and their family/friends are going to Heaven). If this life is but the blink of an eye compared to our life after death, then why do theists get so upset when it is ended?

How is teaching children that this life of a few decades is just a stepping stone to an afterlife of infinite duration and happiness going to instill in them a sense of respect for mortality?

Of course, being taught that your actions here determine your fate afterwards is intended to encourage people to be good, but doesn't that just come down to the idea of "Behave or be punished"? Is it better to be good because you want Heaven and fear Hell, or because you can see that this is the only chance we get at life and everyone deserves the right to enjoy it as much as possible for as long as possible?

Most people, regardless of their lifestyle, seem to think that they are definitely getting into Heaven. If they do something bad, it can always be rationalised away or repented for. If someone does think they're going to Hell, their family and friends will just rally round and talk them out of it, convincing them that God really forgives them as long as they're truly sorry.

Atheists don't have that luxury. We recognise that we must accept responsibility for our own actions and be accountable for them. We can't just pray a bit and then assure people that God has forgiven us - that's for televangelists and presidents.

Surely it's better to teach that this is the only life we get so make the world a better place and don't screw it up for yourself or others, than to teach that this life is insignificant compared with an eternity of bliss?

Which you, of course, will get.

#32 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jun 22 2004, 06:11 PM)
(and inform the folks that you were only trying to save them from hell if they complained)

That is superb! biggrin.gif

#33 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Jun 23 2004, 12:58 AM)
Why on earth would we want to terminate someone's one and only chance at experiencing the pleasure of simply being alive?!?

To turn it round a bit, if you believe that people simply "move on" into an afterlife of some sort, why should that promote respect for life now? If someone dies, hey so what, they'll just go to Heaven and spend trillions of years in extreme bliss.

That eternal bliss is what gives me a hellish fear. How awful is the idea of souls floating around not able to indulge in wine, smoking, eating sweet food or pinching someone’s cheeks. That reminds me, I recently saw a painting of hell, where people were in a huge pile of snakes and fire. Considering this as their eternity wouldn't they sort of become immune to the pain? It's human nature to adapt to their environment. So the idea of heaven and hell sounds equally boring to me. Heck, give me reincarnation instead, I want to be a sinner forever.

#34 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (anileve @ Jun 23 2004, 02:08 AM)
How awful is the idea of souls floating around not able to indulge in wine, smoking, eating sweet food or pinching someone’s cheeks.... Heck, give me reincarnation instead, I want to be a sinner forever.

Actually that is what happens. Many souls spend a short time after death in a state called heaven, then they get a new life and rush back to earth to fulfill mundane desires like you are describing.

#35 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (Stormig @ Jun 23 2004, 02:01 AM)
That is superb! biggrin.gif

It is good to save people from hell smile.gif

#36 axel

axel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jun 23 2004, 04:47 PM)
Actually that is what happens. Many souls spend a short time after death in a state called heaven, then they get a new life and rush back to earth to fulfill mundane desires like you are describing.

LOL Bobo, I beg you pardon, I mean, Master Sri Sasunoy for such an affirmative tone would tend to suggest you are quite above the common of mortals, at least in terms of "spiritual" cognition. Or is there some materialistic explanation to this recent development? What have you been smoking lately? wink.gif

#37 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:58 AM

Well Toto, I know some things will throw you out of balance but please try to keep calm wink.gif

#38 axel

axel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 10:14 AM

You have absolutely no right to call me Toto, Master Bobo. Light has not chosen Bobo to be its representative on earth, has it? wink.gif

#39 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 10:17 AM

Oh, so you have a right to call me what you called me above?

#40 axel

axel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 10:34 AM

Well definitely yes for you claim to have seen the light, don't you? Why do take offence? I have no problem with Bobo whatsoever, actually. I just tend to be circumspect as a christian for I have read a few warnings about false Bobos. I actually think Master Bobo has good intents but this does not mean I should take his word as Truth and my not taking Bobo's word as truth doesn't imply I do not believe in light.

If you don't believe me about the existence of passages regarding false Bobos, here is one which is rather harsh:

Corinthians 2 11
13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users