• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:43 PM

How can the city name "Istanbul" be considered Turkish then? What about Izmir? They are all "Turkish" aren't they?

#22 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Jan 27 2007, 02:43 AM) View Post

How can the city name "Istanbul" be considered Turkish then? What about Izmir? They are all "Turkish" aren't they?

Istanbul is a corrupted form of Constantinople and Izmir that of Smyrna. Just like Sebastia to Sivas and Kesaria to Kaiseri, and many more. Strictly speaking neither is native Turkish.

Edited by Arpa, 26 January 2007 - 08:53 PM.

#23 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE(nairi @ Jan 26 2007, 04:21 PM) View Post

Speaking of Harut.. I came across Haro in one of the baby names sites (don't remember which one).

my mom for some reason has started calling me haro recently... huh.gif

#24 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Jan 26 2007, 10:41 AM) View Post

Very good Nair-o, Nair-a, Nair-ik, Nair-uk. Very provocative. But please, please everyone, we will come to that, we have not yet finished the A/Ayb list, let us exhaust that first. Once we do that we will come to B/Ben list and so on. It is very difficult to decide whether we will stick to the Mesropian Ayb Ben Gim up to O Fe or the Latin A to Z.
Very good Nair-o, Nair-a, Nair-ik, Nair-uk. Very provocative. But please, please everyone, we will come to that, we have not yet finished the A/Ayb list. Once we do that we will come to B/Ben list and so on. It is very difficult to decide whether we will stick to the Mesropian Ayb Ben Gim up to O Fe or the Latin A to Z.
BTW. Even if this is still out of order, many Baghtasars are known as Baghtik.

Arpa you may know this, but dosent BAGHDASAR mean "mountain of God"?
BAG-ARARICH-ASTVATS, Bag-d(h)a-Sar, BAG-A-VAN, BAGAVAN
we know in Russian God means BOGH, and many

#25 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Jan 26 2007, 01:42 PM) View Post

Hayk - Hayko
Jirayr - Jiro

There's also Kamo, but I don't know what it's a shortening of.

kamo is not short for anything... it was Simon Ter-Petrosian's revolutionary nickname... thus, it became a popular name during soviet times... can't remember how the word itself was coined, but i believe there is a reference to that in the hyefilm movie 'kamo'...

#26 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:28 AM

buritos - buro... tongue.gif

Edited by Harut, 27 January 2007 - 02:29 AM.

#27 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:30 AM

ok... some russian names... fill in the blanks..
misha - mishik
sasha - sashik
yasha - ?
chisha - ?

#28 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE(Harut @ Jan 27 2007, 08:56 AM) View Post

kamo is not short for anything... it was Simon Ter-Petrosian's revolutionary nickname...

From kamavor?

#29 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE(Harut @ Jan 27 2007, 09:30 AM) View Post

ok... some russian names... fill in the blanks..
misha - mishik
sasha - sashik
yasha - ?
chisha - ?

biggrin.gif

#30 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(Edward @ Jan 27 2007, 07:48 AM) View Post

Arpa you may know this, but dosent BAGHDASAR mean "mountain of God"?
BAG-ARARICH-ASTVATS, Bag-d(h)a-Sar, BAG-A-VAN, BAGAVAN
we know in Russian God means BOGH, and many

Not likely.
Actually Baghdasar is a fictitious character created by Hakob Baronian as in Baghtasar Aghbar tongue.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif
Edo, you forget the L to GH concept Լ=Ղ.
Baghtasar is a variant of Belshazar. You can search using one, the other or both.
Besides the Balthasar of the three magi erek moger@ Melchior, Gaspar and Balthasar, Melkon Gaspar ev Baghtasar, who according to some originally did not have names, those were added during the 6th c. They were described as the Three Kings, probably Persian (Zoroastrian). Belshazar first appears in the book of Daniel in the Bible as the king of Babylon. Subsequently, of late archeological finds have added more, him being a King of Babylon, his life and exploits.
According to one Armenian source , the name is from Assyrian to mean “bliss”. Others say Belzhazzar or Belthaazar means “protect the king (Bel)”.
But didn’t Haik kill Bel? Why then are we naming our children.
Baghto/Baghdo, Baghtik,/Baghdik etc. are diminutive forms. The name is seldom used now but surnames like Baghdoian and Baghdikian are quite common.

#31 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

Զարթօնքին պատասխան.

Խաչատուր, Խաչիկ, Խաչո, Խեչո, Խչո

Կոնստանտին կամ Կոստանդին, Կոստի

Koko is from Գոգո

Գրիգոր > Գոգո

Վանո անունը կը կարծեմ, որ առաջացած է Յովհաննէս/ Հովաննէս անուան վան բաղադրիչէն:

Վահան անուան կրճատումը չեմ լսած:

Արմենակին պատասխան.

Արթին ամբողջովին հայկական է: Նկատենք, որ Սայեաթ Նովայի անունն է՝ Արութին:

Կը կարծեմ Հ հնչիւնի հետ խնդիր ունեցած ենք: Հապա ինչու՞ Օհան, Ակոբ, Արթին:

Արդիօ՞ք յունարէնի մէջ, ռուսերէնի նման H տառը բացակայ է: Այս կ'ըսեմ՝ նկատի առած, որ ռուսական այբուբենը (Կիւրեղեան) Մակեդոնացի քահանայի մը ստեղծած այբուբենի զարգացած մէկ տարբերակն է:

Երկար տարիներ Բիւզանդիոյ քաղաքացիները ըլլալով, հայ մարդոց անուան սկիզբի H հնչիւնը ջնջուած կրնայ ըլլալ:

#32 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:54 AM

Գէորգ / Georg(es) նկատենք, թէ որքան ճիշտ տառադարձուած է:

Ո տառի՝ վո արտասանութեան պատճառով, հնչուած է Գէւորգ, նման՝ Լեւոնի:

Գէորգ, Գէոլիկ (Գէւոլիկ)

Սարգիս, Սագո, Սագոլիկ

Սագոլիկները, Գէոլիկները ...չորցան անապատի աւազներուն վրայ:

Մկրտիչ, Մկէ, Մկո, Մկր, Մկրո

Գալուստ, Գալէ

Սօսէ, Վահագն (Վահէ), Շաքէ, Մանէ, Վաչական (Վաչէ)

Է վէրջաւորութեամբ անունները շատ տարածուած էին, Աղձնիք (Սասուն), Տարօն աշխարհներու մէջ: Բայց ու՞ր են այդ աշխարհները այժմ:

Ուշ վէրջածանց ալ հայկական կը համարեմ եւ ժառանգուած ամէնահին ժամանակէն:

Վարդուհի, Վարդուկ, Վարդուշ

Մաննիկ, Մաննուշ

#33 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(Johannes @ Jan 29 2007, 05:04 PM) View Post

Զարթօնքին պատասխան.
====
Koko is from Գոգո
=======
Գրիգոր > Գոգո
========
Կը կարծեմ Հ հնչիւնի հետ խնդիր ունեցած ենք: Հապա ինչու՞ Օհան, Ակոբ, Արթին:
=======
Արդիօ՞ք յունարէնի մէջ, ռուսերէնի նման H տառը բացակայ է: Այս կ'ըսեմ՝ նկատի առած, որ ռուսական այբուբենը (Կիւրեղեան) Մակեդոնացի քահանայի մը ստեղծած այբուբենի զարգացած մէկ տարբերակն է:

Yes dear Ionnis/Iannis,
Just like the Russian (Cyrillic) there is no H in the Greek. That’s why Hovannes becomes Ionnis and Hakop become Iakovos. Just like the Russian the letter that looks like H is in fact an I even if they cal it ETA. Like the Russian who convert the H to G the Greeks convert it to KH,Khsi/X. That explains why RussoHays transliterate the KH/Խ as X.
In fact, after I wrote the above I got to thinking about the subject and I remembered a joke that my Arabic speaking Greek classmate, btw, he also spoke Greek and Turkish as well as his ancestors were from Smyrna. He used to tell the story of how an Arabic speaking Greek would give directions. (Note that in the Arabic Hara means street and khara means … well … faecis). The story goes; “You go down khara A, turn left at khara B and khara C will be right in your face”.
As to the endearing Greek for Iannis/Ohannes it is Ianni, pronounced Yanni.
http://www.google.co...7...c&ct=result
Vahan? I don’t know one either. How about Vahe/Vahik or Vaho. My cousin Vahan was known as Vahanik when he was young.
As to Koko. It is from Krikor/Grigor. I should know. My brother is known as Koko. We don't like the Gogo variant as somehow it does not sound goo.

PS. In the light of the above, what does Ionia/Ionic stand for? Not to forget that we call the Greeks Huyn/Յոյն and others call them Yunan.
Hey Gamavor, is there the sound of H in the Bulgarian. I met an Armenian from Bulgaria who would pronounce his name- Hrant as Khrant.

Edited by Arpa, 29 January 2007 - 12:21 PM.

#34 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:24 PM

Thank you

Բացատրութեան համար

Եգիպտական հին ֆիլմերու մէջ շատ կը ծաղրուի արաբերէնի յունական արտասանութիւնը:

Աղեքսանդրիոյ մէջ մեծաթիւ յոյն համայնք կար:

Մինչեւ Նասըրը Եգիպտոս այլ էր:

#35 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:01 AM

Ionian, Akaian, Dorian

Հն յոյները ճանաչուած են այս երեք անջատ ցեղերու անունով: Հանրագիտարանի մէջ քարտէս մը կայ, որ ցոյց կ'ուտայ վերոյիշեալ 3 յոյն ցեղերու գաղութները՝ Սեւ եւ միջերկրական ծովեզրերու տարածքին:

Իոնիան (Ionian/Yonian) կամ Յոյն (Yoyn/huyn) անունը աւելի ժողովրդական եղաւ:

Գրէկ, Հելլեն անուններով ալ ճանաչուած են: Սակայն Հելլեն անունը կը խորհրդանշէ (շատերու համար) յունացած ասիացիները: Յովհաննէս Չմշկիկ (Johannes Cemisis) անունով մեծ զօրավար-Կայսր տուած է հայ ժողովուրդը Բիւզանդիոնին: Այս կայսրի անունով կոչուած է Չմշկածագը (Չշկիկի ծագած վայրը):

#36 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(Johannes @ Jan 29 2007, 06:24 PM) View Post

Thank you

Բացատրութեան համար

Եգիպտական հին ֆիլմերու մէջ շատ կը ծաղրուի արաբերէնի յունական արտասանութիւնը:

Աղեքսանդրիոյ մէջ մեծաթիւ յոյն համայնք կար:

Մինչեւ Նասըրը Եգիպտոս այլ էր:

After writing this above,
Yes dear Ionnis/Iannis,
Just like the Russian (Cyrillic) there is no H in the Greek. That’s why Hovannes becomes Ionnis and Hakop become Iakovos. Just like the Russian the letter that looks like H is in fact an I even if they cal it ETA. Like the Russian who convert the H to G the Greeks convert it to KH,Khsi/X. That explains why RussoHays transliterate the KH/Խ as X.

I got to thinking. as to why the Greeks call their 7th letter, yes, the 7th letter of their Alphabet that looks like the Latin H ETA but use it to sound like the Latin I.
We have spoken about this on numerous occasions. Here is one of them.
http://hyeforum.com/...=seventh letter
In Nairi's words; Language is living and dynamic. Meaning, constantly moving and improving.
Bari ereko, bari gisher, bari or yev bari luys.
It is assumed that "gisher", a native Armenian word is in kinship with "vesper" which in turn is from the Greek "esperos". We are familiar with the Greek expressions of "kali mera" and "kali spera", good day and good evening respectively. How espera/vesper ends up as gisher is beyond my amateur comprehension.

Erek, yesteday is from "ereko/evening” as in last night or yesterday. Ajarian does say that there are varied spellings of the word like "irik" and "erek" where the second E is the seventh letter E, however he may have had a memory lapse that in fact the first E should also be the seventh letter rather than the fifth "yech" based on his theory that words beginning with the seventh letter like esh and ejq were at one time pronounced not as the straight E sound but slightly tending towards the I sound, the reason why esh becomes ishou and ejq becomes ijnel (to descend). Based on that "erek/yerek/yereg", yesterday should be spelled as E-re-yech-ken. Just as above "erek/ereko" becomes "irikun" and "iriknamut" etc.

As to tomorrow, the most common and seemingly the only word is "vagh". The word in fact means early or ancient. Its use to mean tomorrow may have derived by the partial use of the phrase "vagh aravot". i.e. early morning. Why not!!

Above I said the 7th letter. Look at the AybBenGim and see what our 7th letter is.
What kind of fool Mashtots was that he designed two letters, one at the 5th place and the other at 7th position to sound the same? What kind of fools are Abeghians and company, who claim to know the Armenian language? To virtually remove the letter Է and substitute Ե instead? The case of the “hyun/Ւ” is another matter. Why did that “idiot” Mesrop devise two separate letters, only one letter removed -Ե Զ Է- from one and another? The 5th Ե and the 7th Է? Was he some kind of masochist bent on to torture us? Speaking of simplification and revision. Why have not the Greeks obliterated the 7th letter RTA and substituted it with the 5th Epsilon? Are they stupid or what? NO! It is plenty obvious who the stupid ones are. It only shows who the “esheks/էշէկ” are. Try and pronounce the word like the Turks do,why did we lose that sound? Was it to draw a line between us and them? Why did we lose the sound of “hyun” as in the English W? To draw a line between us and The Turk/Persian, neither of which can pronounce the W/“wow“? And see why Ajarian says that the 7th letter Է was never meant to sound like the 5th Ե as in Erebouni/Երեբունի but something in between, something between E and I. I must confess, I never understood it until I considered the Greek alphabet run, as to why they call their 7th letter ETA but use it to sound like I, not to forget that other idiotic Cyrillic alphabet where the H is an I..
F course! We forget that Abeghian and his class of morons are more versed in language and culture than their Greek counterparts, that they wrote such immortal classics as the Iliad and the Odyssey, that they created the likes of the Parthenon et al. Abeghian and his ilk can’t even be credited for the construction of such stone age monuments as the Karahunj. WE should erect his statue at the Karahunj to show the world how he belongs in the stone age/հին քարի դար. Simply because he has rocks in his head. Where did that idiot, aka Manouk A. learn Armenian? At the Armenian (idiotic) Institute of Moscow?

And now, a test, a riddle.

Nairi et al what is the literal բառացի meaning of “tserek/ցէրէկ/daytime“. ?
oops.gif
I spelled the word wrong, I spelled it with the Է, not with the Ե.
Not to give away the clue…
Why does “ereko/երեկո/eveining turn to “irikun/իրիկուն/iriknamut/իրիկնամուտ”? Why does “eshek/էշէկ” turn to “Ishuk/Ishameghu”?
Abeghian/Էբէղեան and his class of “esheks” should revise their surnames to “Eshekian/,Էշէկեան/Իշուկեան”.
Don’t tell me that that A-pushian/Abeghian’s mother tongue was Armenian, not Russkiyi,not Mesropian but Kyureghakan!
Only if that “small change/manruk”/ Manouk Abeghian knew that his baptismal name comes from “manr/small” as in in “manruk/manuk/small child”, and that his surname is not based on the Armenian word “abegha” to mean a candidate for priesthood, but from the Assyrian “abela” (is it from the legend of Abel , that victim of that fratricide Cain, who gave up on on the murderous world and instead turned to religion and became an “abegha“?) , maybe then he and his naively, and moronally Moscovite, unsuspecting “students” would shut the hell up talking about our Mesroparatar Hayots Lezou.
Is this a call to war? Let us see your weapons. Is it զենք or զէնք?
Remember? The [v]Է[/b] in “Զէնք/զէն/Zenq/zen/weapon” turns to Ի as in “zinvor/weaponed/with weapon“, and զինակից/comrade in arms”.

Bring back the letter Է.
You can send back the letter Ե/YE to the likes of Eltsin/Yeltsin.
Մենք անկեղծ զինուոր ենք
Առանձին վիճակ….
Պարսկաստանից (Րուսաատանից) եկելէ բանակ….
Միայն ԶԷՆՔՈՎ կայ մեր Հայոց փրկում**

**Forget that damn “utyun/ութիւն/ություն”.

Edited by Arpa, 30 January 2007 - 04:58 PM.

#37 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Jan 30 2007, 04:41 PM) View Post

And now, a test, a riddle.

Nairi et al what is the literal բառացի meaning of “tserek/ցէրէկ/daytime“. ?
oops.gif

Do you mean "morrow" (or "morning")?

As for e becoming i, and 'ey' (or something like that) becoming e, the Great Vowel Shift (check google) may be of help, even though it focuses on English.

#38 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(nairi @ Jan 30 2007, 10:53 PM) View Post

Do you mean "morrow" (or "morning")?

As for e becoming i, and 'ey' (or something like that) becoming e, the Great Vowel Shift (check google) may be of help, even though it focuses on English.

Close Nairi, but no cigar.
Consider that TS/Ց is used to mean until/մինչեւ as in Ց-տեսութիւն, or simply Ց... Au revoir, hasta la vista, till we meet again.

Edited by Arpa, 30 January 2007 - 05:04 PM.

#39 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Jan 31 2007, 12:01 AM) View Post

Close Nairi, but no cigar.
Consider that TS/Ց is used to mean until/մինչեւ as in Ց-տեսութիւն, or simply Ց... Au revoir, hasta la vista, till we meet again.

Till morning = tomorrow.

Edit: or actually: till evening = tonight.

Edited by nairi, 30 January 2007 - 05:11 PM.

#40 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(nairi @ Jan 30 2007, 11:07 PM) View Post

Till morning = tomorrow.

Edit: or actually: till evening = tonight.

Atta girl Nairi!
Actually.. till evening, as night is gisher/գիշեր. Երեկ to mean "yesterday" in fact means "last eveining".
It is already ereko/երեկո here. Goedemorgen to you.
I will see you վաղ արավոտ /early morning when it is ts-erek/Ց-երեկ.
Here is the next question.
Why then ereko/երեկո is spelled with the Ե when it turns to Ի/I in declension like in իրիկուն/ իրիկնամուտ. You think one time it was spelled էրէկո?

Edited by Arpa, 30 January 2007 - 05:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users