• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jan 23 2005, 11:42 AM)
People who have spoken to God say that God talks to us all the time, its us that cannot hear him, because we are not tuned. To listen to God means to be able to catch very fine vibrations. That attunement can be achieved through prayer and meditation.

Even so, what can God give us? Do we really need him in our world? What have these people gained from talking to him?

#62 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jan 23 2005, 11:44 AM)
Thank you Anoushik, I browsed the site. According to the website he heard voices in his mind and put down notes. While I may not believe in him doing it 100% I am sure it is possible in general to hear voices without sound vibrations in the air, because many others have had similar experiences.

Visit a psychiatric institution and you'll see a couple of people talking with god, if the shrink or the nurses are kind enough to tell the name of the condition for what they are treated for, most of the time it is schizophrenia.

Hearing god talking is not something that rare among schizophrenics, in fact, after "paranoiac" inducing auditive hallucinations, it is one of the most common auditive hallucinations. And it even happens among "schizoaffective" mild forms of schizophrenia, where the "negative" symptoms are not that apparent, in fact most sect figures claiming such, have more chances to have mild schizophrenia than the full blown one, with the obvious negative symptoms following.

First thing first, even for a believer in a god, such a story should be suspicious at best, since it is not a Marry apparition, or some Saint guy, or a statue talking etc. it is "god" in person, the said creator of the entire universe, having chosen one guy to talk with.

In fact, this alone, with his delusions would be considered by a schrink as the 2 major positive symptoms of the condition, with a possible diagnosis.

I am not telling that he is a psychotic, I would tend to believe that he is a liar having found a way to steal peoples hard earned money with his stories. Have I read the book? No I did not, only hearing him having communicated with god in question is enough to decide to NOT read the book.

Even a priest will tend to take such stories as fables than genuine, because, it is not about a saint, or Marry etc. it is "God" in person, it would take such a big ego to actualy believe that the said creator of everything will actualy bother communicating with a mortal that is not more or less "pure" than any other people. Even mother Theresa didn't come up with such a story.

Edited by Fadix, 23 January 2005 - 03:03 PM.

#63 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jan 23 2005, 11:13 AM)
Sip, would you care explain the inner workings of your mind? What makes you to be cynical about things that you don't believe? Why talk about things that are not real to you?

I guess it's the caring, nurturing, educator in me that hates to see a good mind go to waste down the wrong line of reasoning. I will give you examples:

1. If God exists, and God is limitless and all powerful, then why is God portrayed as limited in the Bible ... why does God need time to do things, to observe people, and to hand punishment/reward?

2. If humans were created right from the beginning, how do we explain dinosaurs or cave men? Maybe evolution doesn't explain them, but creation doesn't either so why believe in one or the other?

3. Why did such a powerful God need such a rediculous way of getting his message to his creations ... aka a book and some guy who died for everyone else's sins? Don't tell me it's a God thing I wouldn't understand either! mad.gif

Why do I keep questioning all these? Because I refuse to be a Lemming and just accept things because some guy in a pointy hat in a building with a pointy top waving a round metal object with smoke coming out of it tells me it is so while I constantly have to get up and and sit down when some other dude in the background is doing his best impression of the worst on American idiol. smile.gif

Edited by Sip, 23 January 2005 - 03:39 PM.

#64 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jan 23 2005, 03:00 PM)
Even so, what can God give us? Do we really need him in our world? What have these people gained from talking to him?

That's the difference, those who would like to speak with God make an effort and succeed. Most people do not care, as you say do not need God. It is normal that they don't speak with God. And those who have spoken to God have gained knowledge and wisdom, and other things which you can get the sense if you read them... I can't tell in a few words smile.gif

#65 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 23 2005, 03:38 PM)
1. If God exists, and God is limitless and all powerful, then why is God portrayed as limited in the Bible ... why does God need time to do things, to observe people, and to hand punishment/reward?

When the creation starts he creates time and space first. Than he descendes into time and space to continue the creation. The creation of global limits refers to the creation of human brain.

#66 Nakharar

Nakharar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jan 23 2005, 09:00 PM)

Anoushik, what may be true for yourself wouldn't mean a thing to someone else. Truth is something relative for each person. There is no right or wrong in these matters.

#67 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 23 2005, 04:38 PM)
I guess it's the caring, nurturing, educator in me that hates to see a good mind go to waste down the wrong line of reasoning.  I will give you examples:

Have you read the Bible? I haven't read it in full, but I get the impression that God is portrayed exactly as unlimited, not limited. BTW, there are many other scriptures, Bible is just one set of them.
2. If humans were created right from the beginning, how do we explain dinosaurs or cave men?  Maybe evolution doesn't explain them, but creation doesn't either so why believe in one or the other?

Who said that humans were created right from the beginning?
3. Why did such a powerful God need such a rediculous way of getting his message to his creations ... aka a book and some guy who died for everyone else's sins?  Don't tell me it's a God thing I wouldn't understand either!  mad.gif

What is ridiculous? It is your subjective feeling that it is ridiculous. Most people do not find it ridiculous. But that's not the point, the point is everyone can get God's message, if he/she really desires - without messangers and books. But many people prefer an easy way of getting messages from human messangers. If you knew a little more you would know that there have been other messengers who have brought the same messages in different words and different circumstances.
BTW, what makes you angry? The thought that God may know something that you would not understand? Well, who said that you would understand everything. You are not omniscient wink.gif
Why do I keep questioning all these? Because I refuse to be a Lemming and just accept things because some guy in a pointy hat in a building with a pointy top waving a round metal object with smoke coming out of it tells me it is so while I constantly have to get up and and sit down when some other dude in the background is doing his best impression of the worst on American idiol.  smile.gif

It seems to me that you have some gross misconceptions. Perhaps a churchman tells you you must believe in this and that. So what? God is not limited in a churchman's mind or in books.
There is such a big variety in spiritual practices and in religions. You and I are talking about very different things. You heard some things about the church, Bible and that is what you are talking about. I am more of a universalist. When I talk about spirituality I have a wide range of different spiritual practices, different books, different figures in mind. I sense that the messages are the same in all of this, the difference lies on the surface and in the wording. The message I have gotten is this - we are all equally capable of knowing God, there is not a single human being that if he/she wishes cannot be like Jesus or Buddha. So, your argument does not make much sense to me, because I am not claiming the things that you are assuming I am claiming.

#68 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Nakharar @ Jan 23 2005, 02:29 PM)
Anoushik, what may be true for yourself wouldn't mean a thing to someone else. Truth is something relative for each person. There is no right or wrong in these matters.

I understand that.

#69 Ludwig9

Ludwig9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 12:10 PM

Hello Anoushik and Nakharar

Truth is NOT relative it is an ABOSOLUTE. biggrin.gif

Edited by Ludwig9, 24 January 2005 - 12:13 PM.

#70 GuitarCrazyo

GuitarCrazyo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:00 PM

that i would agree with there is a huge difference, however citing that god is your influence and your reason for going to war i find hard to relate to

#71 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:58 PM

I am in the understanding 'we don't know'
and people who claim to know are exercising creative license.

#72 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

Whatever happened to Sasun? Didn't he become a priest or something?

#73 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

Whatever happened to Sasun? Didn't he become a priest or something?

:)

#74 Garo

Garo

Veteran

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

:)

Welcome back Sasun! Hope all is well.

#75 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:06 PM

Thank you Garo! All is fine. Hope you have been fine too!

#76 Garo

Garo

Veteran

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:54 AM

All is good. No complains :)

#77 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:48 AM

hello Sassun. How are you?

#78 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

Barev Azat! I am doing fine. I am glad I found time to come back. How about you? I hope everything is good with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users