-= ARMENIAN DUDUK =-
Posted Image

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2000 - 01:44 PM

What a lovely instrument

Any1 offereing duduk lessons? Anyone?

By the way MosJan, where have you been lately?

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2000 - 02:46 PM

Bareev Kaza jan
ohh man i forgat . are you in USA? Italy ? if your in USA CAlifornya no problem . I can get you 15 to 20 duduk Masters .

I left for Colorado / on a hunting trip. just came back 24hr. a go .
working on this Duduk Web page
http://www.armenians...uduk/index.html

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2000 - 08:20 PM

I love the sound of it, but it's way too emotionally painful to listen to for me. It's all the sadness of the Armenians wrapped up into one instrument.

However, I recently saw Djivan Gasparian live and to hear him in person was "cleansing". I don't know how else to describe it.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2000 - 05:25 AM

Last night, while asleep, I saw a concert by Jivan Gasparayan with a jazz quartet in LA. He came to me after the concert and asked "How was it?"

I said, o man, I couldn't believe it was duduk

[This message has been edited by MJ (edited October 26, 2000).]

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2000 - 08:36 AM

So, was this in a dream or out of it?

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2000 - 09:03 AM

Kazza,

lol... of coarse it was a dream. I was asleep...

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2000 - 04:58 PM

1) What is the basic fingering for a Duduk in G, for ex.?

Normally a 'G' Duduk plays a low 'G' when covering [closing] the highest 6 holes [from the reed, or mouth, down], AND ALSO partially closing [a little] the 7th hole. So: for right-handed people: L.H. thumb hole + 3 first fingers covering the highest 4 holes [again, from the mouth, or reed, down], & R.H. 3 fingers closing the the next 3 holes, plus also closing a little of the 7th hole. The higher 'G'--one 8ve above--has different fingerings, being the most basic ALL HOLES OPEN!

Also, the basic--main--Duduk is in 'A'. That's the key moist used in general.

Pedro Eustache

[This message has been edited by MosJan (edited October 26, 2000).]

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2000 - 04:59 PM

2) Reeds are different and they play different every day! does a height exist to be able to play with others, european musicians To + - 440 Hz? Does other reeds exist to play 430 Hz? 415 Hz?

Yes, reeds play differently everyday, & they are a nightmare! That's why we have to have many different reeds [I have 34 reeds!! & 18 duduks, in all keys!] And yes, some reeds are flat [big], other sharp [small] & other OK. You simply have to find right ones. Reeds like humidity, & I prepare mine for playing &/or recording at least 15 to 20 mins before, but putting them in my mouth & getting them ready [I blow very slow on them, like we do when we 'fog' a mirror or glass] After they're ready [the opening between the reeds is approx. 1 to 1.5 millimeters], I keep them in a little plastic, hermetic bag [we call them "Zip-Locks" here in America], so that they stay moisted while playing. I learned this from my first teacher, Mr. Albert Vardanian. NEVER LEAVE THE REEDS FOR MORE THAN ONE HOUR IN THE SEALED BAG. IT WILL DESTROY THE REEDS!

Also,

You can keep some moisture also by using a little 'humidifier tube' that violin players use, in the same case where you keep your reeds.

Or, if you feel like it, buy yourself a cigars 'Humidor', which allows for controlled humidity.

Pedro Eustache

[This message has been edited by MosJan (edited October 26, 2000).]

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2000 - 04:59 PM

3) how much inside the mouth I have to put the reeds?

Approx. 1 centimeter [or less!]

Pedro Eustache.

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2000 - 05:00 PM

4) Are the teeth held & covered by lips as in oboe or bassoon?.

YES!!, you have to cover your teeth with your lips, but also, VERY IMPORTANT: you have to inflate your cheeks, exactly the same way Dizzy Gillespie use to play the trumpet. That--I find--defines the Duduk sound.

[Although, like always, there are exceptions: I know a great master player--Mr. Rubick--who sounds fabulous & doesn't inflate his cheeks!]

Pedro Eustache.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2000 - 05:01 PM

5) Have you written any melodies/exercises for studying?NO, I have not written any exercises for the duduk yet [I do have my own exercises, plus many others that I learned from my teachers.] That is probably the best thing to do: try to have at least one lesson LIVE! with a very good teacher/player [there are also many bad ones!!] It will make all the difference in the world!

Pedro Eustache

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2000 - 05:02 PM

6) Could you please advise me on the best way to mic the duduk?

I put the mike literally a bit down from in between my two hands, pointing down a bit, at 3 to 5 inches , (+ or -).

Pedro Eustache

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2000 - 05:06 PM

Kazza jan - the top 5 posts are frome a good frend of ming Pedro - one of the Best None Armenian Duduk players , i hopp this helps you . good lock Movses

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2000 - 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MosJan:
Kazza jan - the top 5 posts are frome a good frend of ming Pedro - one of the Best None Armenian Duduk players , i hopp this helps you . good lock Movses

Hi.
I have enrolled in the forum-duduk from little time.
I love a lot of the sound of the duduk and I have begun to study.
I have a lot of problems and I don't know what exercises to do.
Who helps me?
You excuse my elementary English but I use a software of translation.
Regards.
Paolo Gavelli

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2000 - 03:18 PM

Hi.
I have enrolled in the forum-duduk from little time.
I love a lot of the sound of the duduk and I have begun to study.
I have a lot of problems and I don't know what exercises to do.
Who helps me?
You excuse my elementary English but I use a software of translation.
Regards.
Paolo Gavelli

Hello Paolo Gavelli and welcome to this forum -
#1 who is the duduk made by ?
#2 what is the problem ?
is it the dududk or you ?
can you paly at all ?
can you mack some sorta sund or a melody ?
MOvses

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2000 - 12:14 AM

Ciao Moses.
My duduk originates from Erevan.
Is a gift of one friend of mine.
My problem is the organization of the job.
I don't possess melodies written for studying.
My Gamishes play well, I have fingering, but it doesn't correspond.
Then I have to sing and after singing with Duduk.
Where to find melodies for alone Duduk.
With friendship
Paolo
77138@katamail.com

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2000 - 05:44 PM

Hello Paolo Gavelli ---
#1 My duduk originates from Erevan.
Is a gift of one friend of mine. - good

#2 My problem is the organization of the job.
I don't possess melodies written for studying. - sorry i do not have any Sheet music for Duduk at this time- i'l get you soem whan i can.
#3 My Gamishes play well, I have fingering, but it doesn't correspond. - Duduk is a Dayatonic instrument , it's not like a peano or guitar - you do not have Do-re-me-fa-sol-la-ci , stop by at thi s adress you cen se the Fingering-Chart for duduks- http://www.armenians...hart/index.html

#4 Then I have to sing and after singing with Duduk.
Where to find melodies for alone Duduk.
With friendship - sorry Paolo i do not have any duduk Melodis at thi s time .
#5 you get yoru self a Chromatic Tuner Digital or analog then you play the duduk one key at the tiem and se what is teh not for that key , than atlist you know what key's are your duduk.
Movses
Paolo
77138@katamail.com

#19 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2000 - 08:22 AM

Hello all,

This is my first message in this discussion. I want to begin studying how to play duduk, but I don't know where to start . I live in Toronto, Canada, and I'm not sure if there are even any teachers here. I need some guidance. Thanks,

Hovig

#20 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2000 - 04:43 PM

This is a great forum! Thanks for offering this information!

I've been playing the duduk for a short time, and just by reading some of these posts, I realize that I've been playing it all wrong.

Are there any books for learning how to play the duduk?

How do I know if mine is an "OK" duduk?

Where is a good place to buy more reeds? I only have one, and it's being over used, and I think I'm going to need a new one.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users