Photo

Regarding: "we're Semites Now?" And Side-notes.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 12 June 2004 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE (mx5 @ Jun 11 2004, 07:59 PM)
Did I miss something here?

Yeah apparently you did.

Nope, you are half-Hye and your children will be even less so.

And? What the hell is trying to prove? He knows he is half-Hye, why point it out like this? Is this some kind of argument?

#22 mx5

mx5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (anileve @ Jun 11 2004, 02:05 PM)
No, we must learn to eat rice in an isolated form, rice and only rice, and anyone who combines it with something else is a disgraceful, plebian and primitive eater, not to mention immoral and irresponsible!!! Viva la RICE!

Mentioning of rice,looks it is getting populer day after day!.

a married close friend of mine was complaining to me couple of days ago that he is feeling as though he is eating Rice all his life, every day and night that he was sick of it and cannot bear its taste anymore, I told him it was easy, just simply stop eating it,he replied that was not possible,after i insisted he confessed that the Rice grain itself had nothing to do with it and the problem was with his wife!!.

to my syrprise he went on saying that :Having sex with his wife day after day and night after night made him feel as though he was eating Rice all his life!!!(poor Rice,cant blame the Chinese on this!!!).

So Anileve if you are not married yet,take it from an experts advice(my married Rice-sick friend here)that whoever you got married and to whatever race they belonged ,even if she/he was miss or mr.universe,after a while their taste will end up like a Rice to you!!!.

#23 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:06 PM

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwe ... thanks for ruining another fine source of nutrition for me. Now everytime I eat rice I'll be thinking of sex cry.gif

#24 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:17 PM

mx5, this is weird, just yesterday I realised I had enough of eating rice. blink.gif huh.gif

Edited by Fadix, 12 June 2004 - 02:19 PM.

#25 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:24 PM

Change positions/locations while eating rice, they say. Try different "games" - such as licking soy sauce off your rice. Take a vacation with your rice so you don't have squabbles over everyday chores, like the kids or such as how well-done your rice is. Also might want to join a swingers'-club with your rice - try different varieties a bit, whole-grain vs. processed, etc. Works for some people and their rice, or some rice and their people, apparently.

#26 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (mx5 @ Jun 11 2004, 02:50 PM)
or you should rethink of a an early retirment as a moderator,i dont think you are doing right in what you should do,and that is preservation of armenian Diaspora or whatt else is the purpose of this website,

Ehm, mods, I didn't know one of your jobs was preserving the Armenian diaspora. Goodness, the burden of the whole Armenian population(s) has been shifted onto your shoulders. A bit unfair, if I may add.

#27 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:44 PM

Duhhh!

I must be the only idiot here who still does not understand how we get from "semite/schmemite" to rice.

Anyway.

Your friend must have been having "Rizo Amaro", literally "bitter rice" and also the title of an Italian movie that portrayed the human sexual act on the screen, if only in a shadow when the rest of the world was wallowing in medieval darkness.

Reminds me of an enecdote.

After the Great Displacemnet several Armenian boys ended up in Paris. They were hungry. They enetered the first restaurant, they sat down and ordered the only dish they knew, pilau. But they they were sick and tired of pilau, be it prinz or tsavar. They wanted something more substantial, something juicy and savory. They observed that the next table was having chateaubriand and they listened carefully. The waiter approached and the neighbors said "encore".

Oh!

Then that's what it is called!

The waiter approached them and they said "encore"!.

Guess what they got!

The more you say "encore", the more you will get the same old... same old.

#28 mx5

mx5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (Stormig @ Jun 12 2004, 02:24 PM)
Change positions/locations while eating rice, they say. Try different "games" - such as licking soy sauce off your rice. Take a vacation with your rice so you don't have squabbles over everyday chores, like the kids or such as how well-done your rice is. Also might want to join a swingers'-club with your rice - try different varieties a bit, whole-grain vs. processed, etc. Works for some people and their rice, or some rice and their people, apparently.

Well stormig I will take this to my friend but I imagine he will say something like:
"Rice tastes Rice ,no matter you ate it under the table or over it!!!.

#29 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:22 AM

AP - my mother came from a family with an Armenian mother and and Armenian father. She developed her attitudes prior to getting married to a non Armenian - and for reasons of descrimination and from living in an area without a strong Armenian Diaspora community - typical issues with immagrants in this country - so you are off base here - it has nothing directly to do with intermarrying.

And if my father and mother hadn't married and had children - well - there would be no ME. I am the result of this mix and would not have come into being any other way - so i am - of course - eternally grateful for that - and have no bitter ir negative feelings wahtsoever regarding such. Would it be that I had learned Armenian - of course I would have liked that - but I didn't and at this point in my life and circumstance - it is doubful that I will. Yes - I have some regret...but thats just the way it is..I do feel I have plenty going for me in other respects that it doesn't worry me much.

And Anileve - the rice thing - brilliant! And Stormy too - LOL!

Edited by THOTH, 13 June 2004 - 10:22 AM.

#30 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 11:49 AM

happy.gif
Where is Azaty Poo with the mole on his bum during all this? Is he packing or is he in Armenia alreadY? Sorry, you can move this to chit-chat, along with the rice posts. biggrin.gif

#31 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Jun 12 2004, 08:44 PM)
Reminds me of an enecdote.

After the Great Displacemnet several Armenian boys ended up in Paris. They were hungry. They enetered the first restaurant, they sat down and ordered the only dish they knew, pilau. But they they were sick and tired of pilau, be it prinz or tsavar. They wanted something more substantial, something juicy and savory. They observed that the next table was having chateaubriand and they listened carefully. The waiter approached and the neighbors said "encore".

Oh!

Then that's what it is called!

The waiter approached them and they said "encore"!.

Guess what they got!

The more you say "encore", the more you will get the same old... same old.

Ankogh? Ankoghin is bed/bedding, isn't it?

#32 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:04 PM

Actually, sorry, I took it the wrong way... LOL... Encore of pilaf. Sorry, I musta spent too much time under the sun today and was thinking of horizontal practices re: same old, same old. tongue.gif

#33 Nvard

Nvard

Gatita :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:everything..

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:06 AM

Why do you discuss RICE in the Diaspora section? biggrin.gif tongue.gif
You're all BANNED!
he he he

#34 mx5

mx5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Jun 13 2004, 10:22 AM)
And if my father and mother hadn't married and had children - well - there would be no ME. I am the result of this mix and would not have come into being any other way - so i am - of course - eternally grateful for that - and have no bitter ir negative feelings wahtsoever regarding such. Would it be that I had learned Armenian -

Thot there is nothing personal here,but many of us are indulged in many serious ways for preserving ourselves as Armenians,it doesnt effect me in my business or my life on daily bases,but at home we speak armenian and try to keep our spirits as Armenians high,in addition to public service in armenian quarters.

As a typical person to our subject(with my deep respect to you as a prson and Armenian) I would realy like to know how much you rate your chances of rasing your childeren and preserving them and yourself as Armenians,I would realy like to know your oppinion on this one.do you think your chances would have been more,less or the same if your parents were both Armenians or it doesnt matter.

or do you think that we are losing some part of our heritage with every odar Hye mariage ,or on the contrary we are gaining something.

It might not mean anything to you but every time i see an armenian doesnt speak his or her language ,small part of me is destroyed..but I hope like hell that nothing else is destroyed,I mean something like our national heritage.

Good luck to you in your quest and i hope you will learn to speak armenian one day(I learned to play piano after 30,many thought that was impossible including my wife who plays Cello and my son who is top piano student!!),its a beautiful language and its your language...that,if you believe so...

jack

#35 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 14 June 2004 - 05:57 AM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Jun 13 2004, 04:22 PM)
And if my father and mother hadn't married and had children - well - there would be no ME. I am the result of this mix and would not have come into being any other way -

This be an example of the dangers of cross-breeding between species. Who knows what hideous monstrosities their prodgeny may display. ph34r.gif

#36 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:23 AM

Steve...

#37 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (nairi @ Jun 14 2004, 12:23 PM)
Steve...

Sorry Nairi. The opening was there, and I took it.

I was being naughty, yes.

But not very naughty rolleyes.gif

(And not naughty enough to erase it).

#38 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (mx5 @ Jun 14 2004, 05:53 AM)
Thot there is nothing personal here,but many of us are indulged in many serious ways for preserving ourselves as Armenians,it doesnt effect me in my business or my life on daily bases,but at home we speak armenian and try to keep our spirits as Armenians high,in addition to public service in armenian quarters.

As a typical person to our subject(with my deep respect to you as a prson and Armenian) I would realy like to know how much you rate your chances of rasing your childeren and preserving them and yourself as Armenians,I would realy like to know your oppinion on this one.do you think your chances would have been more,less or the same if your parents were both Armenians or it doesnt matter.

or do you think that we are losing some part of our heritage with every odar Hye mariage ,or on the contrary we are gaining something.

It might not mean anything to you but every time i see an armenian doesnt speak his or her language ,small part of me is destroyed..but I hope like hell that nothing else is destroyed,I mean something like our national heritage.

Good luck to you in your quest and i hope you will learn to speak armenian one day(I learned to play piano after 30,many thought that was impossible including my wife who plays Cello and my son who is top piano student!!),its a beautiful language and its your language...that,if you believe so...

jack

Well Jack I was not brought up as an "Armenian" per se - and neither are our children being raised such. But what is funny is that I recieved much of my initial exposure/awareness of my Armenian heritage/history etc from my (non-Armenian) father - who thought it was important to teach me - as my (Armenian) mother was/is of completely opposite mind. Of course I also have many Armenian relatives (of varrying degrees of involvement in Armenian affairs...etc)...

I feel for your dilema...but I don't see a solution beyond working with what you've got...ie you can't force Armenians in the diaspora to be one way or another - they will do what they will - what they percieve to be in their interests etc - and if continuing to be immersed in some degree of Armenian culture is of value to them - then they will do so - to varrying degrees. Yes - you will lose many to the dominant/local culture...but bottom line is there is little you can do about this...so you must work with what you have...and my advice also is to be inclussive - and understanding - that not all Armenians will choose to continue their traditions to the same degeee as you or others - but all should be embraced and exposed or what not - because I do believe that we have a wonderful culture, wonderful people and a very very special history and place in the world...

Alas - I may never learn Armenian...I'm not very good with languages to begin with...and unless I have a real compelling reason (like moving to Armenia or such) - I doubt that I will ever attempt to learn it. Yes - I'm somewhat sorry of this (because as an Anthropologist and as someone who understands I do know what i am missing)- but again - that is just the way of it...for me...

And again - Armenian national heritage is pretty much an issue for Armenians from Armenia - and of course those from the Diaspora who involve themselves in Armenia. We can perserve something of our culture in the Diaspora...but it will never be entirely the same...it cannot be...and even Armenia itself faces obstacles in remaining "Armenian" and in fact can (basically) never go back...and thi sis really true for most all of us in the world today...

#39 mx5

mx5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Jun 14 2004, 09:22 AM)
...and even Armenia itself faces obstacles in remaining "Armenian" and in fact can (basically) never go back...and thi sis really true for most all of us in the world today...

My dilema is for guys like you that we are losing Thoth ,and you dont worry about the existence of Armenia as a nation,nor to a great extent about the Diaspora,there are enough good tough Armeninas to carry the torch for generations to come..

The above statment makes much difference and shows exactly the frame of your thinking,I think you will find that the existance of Armenia itself is a taboo issue for most of us...the ARMENIANS.

However Thanks for the reply and the effort ...

#40 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (mx5 @ Jun 15 2004, 12:41 PM)
you dont worry about the existence of Armenia as a nation

How do you know this? I worry and I care and I contribute and do what I can..but bottom line I am a citizen of the USA - my family and children are from here and this is my home, my nation, my (family's) future...this is just the facts - and it is also true for the majority of Diasporan Armenians I imagine...not everyone is concerned with larger social or political issues (not saying that I am not - because I am) - most people worry about their daily lives, providing for their families and their families futures. The fact that I am aware and follow the general goings on in Armenia, with Armenians and in the diaspora is certainly some sign that I do care and I am involved...but fundementally my life is in the USA even if in my heart I feel that I am Armenian and identify with, pull for and am involved with Armenians (to the extent that I am). Again I argue that I am not "lost" per se...but neither do I place my affiliation as an Armenian (my heritage and one might say my nationality - at least in part) above that of the nation - of the life - for which myself and my famly find ourselves in. And my argument is that Armenia lives on....in Armenia...and to whatever degree those in the Diaspora continue to embrace it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users