20 replies to this topic

#1 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:armenians, armenian music

Posted 12 May 2001 - 02:50 PM

I was asked the following question to answer it till sunday. Anybody help?

Who was the first person, born in Baku who created color tv. He is supposed to be armenian, and buried in the Yerevan Banteon.

#2 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Tennis, Jazz, Modern Art, Red Wine

Posted 12 May 2001 - 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hayemyes:
I was asked the following question to answer it till sunday. Anybody help?

Who was the first person, born in Baku who created color tv. He is supposed to be armenian, and buried in the Yerevan Banteon.

I think the color TV is invented by an American Armenian with a last name Hovhannessian. I doubt he is buried in Banteon in Yerevan.

#3 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 12 May 2001 - 03:44 PM

The inventor of black and white television transmission (John Logie Baird, in 1924 -first transmission of a still image, in 1926 - first moving objects) was also the inventor of colour television, in the year 1928. He also invented video recording.

Steve

#4 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 12 May 2001 - 03:52 PM

BTW, Steve- I was impressed by your website...must have taken an lot of work.

Also , did you just see the eurovision contest? It was on a second ago. Do you know who won? Estonioa - and it was absolutley crap! Still,Eurovision is not renowned for it's music.

Anyway, back on the subject - my next door neighbour is a civil engineer and was on a trip in Baku. Is that IN Armenia, or NEAR to it? It thought that was quite interesting.

#5 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 12 May 2001 - 04:02 PM

Much like it is still an ongoing debate whether the radio has been invented by the Russian Popov, Italian Marconi or German Forgottenhisname.

[ May 12, 2001: Message edited by: MJ ]

#6 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 12 May 2001 - 04:44 PM

I think color tv was invented much later than 1928. I thought it was Peter Goldmark in the early 50's. first color broadcast in USA was the 1954 rose parade.

I could be all wrong.

MJ, I always knew that Gulilmo Marconi invented the radio. Did not even know the other two names you mentioned. I will try to research those names to see what I find. Do you by any chance have first names on them?

#7 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 12 May 2001 - 05:10 PM

Alexander Popov -the Russian one. In fact, they say Popov has alleged that Marconi has stolen the idea from him. As to the German Forgottenhisname, I should say, LOL, I meant I have Forgotten his name.

#8 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 May 2001 - 06:32 PM

Thx all, but the guy told me it was in the 1930s and the inventor is born in Baku.
I also thought it must be an armenian.

#9 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 12 May 2001 - 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hayemyes:
Thx all, but the guy told me it was in the 1930s and the inventor is born in Baku.
I also thought it must be an armenian.

That may very well be true (about where he was born).

#10 Garo

Garo

Veteran

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 12 May 2001 - 09:50 PM

If I'm not mistaken his name was Hovhannes Adamian.

#11 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 12 May 2001 - 10:16 PM

Hovhaness Adamian.
he invented how to project three primary colors on tv screen. basicly he invanted the first, simpalest, color tv.

#12 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 May 2001 - 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
Alexander Popov.
- Thanks

quote[quote]As to the German Forgottenhisname,  

Not that Encarta is the best encyclopedia but I am sure that the information is more accurate than the dates we had put on this forum. By the way, my dates were incorrect in the above post.

Color Television
It was realized as early as 1904 that color television was possible using the three primary colors of light: red, green, and blue. In 1928 Baird demonstrated color television using a Nipkow disk in which three sets of openings scanned the scene. A fairly refined color television system was introduced in New York City in 1940 by the Hungarian-born American inventor Peter Goldmark. In 1951 public broadcasting of color television was begun using Goldmark's system. However, the system was incompatible with monochrome television, and the experiment was dropped at the end of the year. Compatible color television was perfected in 1953, and public broadcasting in color was revived a year later.
http://encarta.msn.c...9903&cid=97#p97

#13 hayemyes

hayemyes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 May 2001 - 05:32 AM

Thanx alot all of you,
I checked Hovannes Atamian in the Armenian Soviet Encyclopedia and he was born in Baku. Thanx again.

#14 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 13 May 2001 - 01:46 PM

If you visit Karabagh´s ethnographic museum you´ll be able to see a section on H. Adamian. It is claimed that he is a Karabaghtsi.

#15 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 13 May 2001 - 02:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kazza:
BTW, Steve- I was impressed by your website...must have taken an lot of work.

Also , did you just see the eurovision contest? It was on a second ago. Do you know who won? Estonioa - and it was absolutley crap! Still,Eurovision is not renowned for it's music.

Thanks for the praise - can't get too much of it! meeeoww.

You're a bit younger than me (I think ) and probably look at the Eurovision song contest as just a cliched bit of silly old tat, but for anyone who grew up in the early 70s it is synonymous with the idea of the EEC (and later the EU) and of a "European culture". That's why I can find nothing ironic in its unmitigated ghastliness. OK, a lot of people don't realise its true meaning any more (a bit like the nursery rhyme "ring-a-ring-a-roses"). But think of what it really represents and you will never watch it again!

Er, back to the subject - the question is a lot to do with what people mean by "invented".

Saying that something is possible is not "inventing" it - so a statement that it was "realized as early as 1904 that color television was possible" has nothing to do with invention. You cannot patent an abstract idea, only a product.

Similarly, improving on something previously invented is not inventing it - so saying "A fairly refined color television system was introduced in New York City in 1940 by the Hungarian-born American inventor Peter Goldmark" is again nothing to do with actual "invention" in its purest sense. That is more like innovation, I think.

Steve

#16 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 13 May 2001 - 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
As to the German Forgottenhisname, I should say, LOL, I meant I have Forgotten his name.

Would make a great name for a comic character, perhaps refine it to Herr Vorgotteniznam.

#17 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 May 2001 - 05:35 PM

Very interesting information about Popov. it looks like he did do most of the work and Marconi was the first to put all the ideas together for the radio.

Here is a link on Popov: http://www.webstatio...fecha/popov.htm

I did not find much onfo on Forgottenhisname.

#18 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 May 2001 - 07:51 PM

MJ, is Heinrich Heine the German person you were thinking about?

Also has anyone been able to find any information on Hovhannes Adamian? I would love to get couple of links.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the 1870s. British professor James Clerk Maxwell had mathematically proved that electric waves could be sent over distance. After Maxwell's studies, one German scientist set out to prove Maxwell's theories. In experiments that transmitted waves over a five foot distance, Heinrich Heine proved that waves travel in a straight line across space and that they can be reflected. Radio was born.

#19 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 17 May 2001 - 02:38 PM

Here is an article in Romanian of all languages, it is quite informative on his scientific achievements. By virtue of my knowdledge of romance languages I can understand most of it.
http://ararat.go.ro/19/19art11.html

There is also an entry about him in the Armenian Encyclopedia.

#20 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 17 May 2001 - 02:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Azat:
MJ, is Heinrich Heine the German person you were thinking about?

Sorry, Azat. Don't remember.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users