• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:37 PM

So I am known to be a person of dry sarcasm, and I can almost be sure that 1 out of 10 people might misinterpret my innocent intentions and take my jokes as an insult. Well today I managed to offend one of the innocent bystanders who misinterpreted my humor.

I merely complimented a girl on her new bangs (she is black, for a complete understanding of my comment gone wrong). I then gave her bangs a touch and with laughter asked if they were real…and all of a sudden I felt that something began to bother my speaking abilities, it was my foot. :oops: I realized but a bit too late that she is black, and many black women tend to sport weaves. She looked at me with a startled yet furious look of a lioness who’s pups where being taken away, she lashed out at me saying “YES THEY ARE REAL!” :mad1: Being that I like many Armenian women am blessed with an abundance of thick and long hair, I failed to realize a weak spot and I for the life in me cannot distinguish real from fake, nor do I care. It was just a silly joke. No matter how I tried to weave (no pun) out of the situation I was knee deep and there was no way out. :eek: Later she told me that many came up to her asking if her hair was real, I was merely referring to her new bangs, it was the rest of her hair that was fake, that is the reason it struck a wound. :afro:

So than I thought to myself, black women are on the bottom of the ladder. They don’t have many high paying positions, compare to the white women, their hair is by nature curly, and they are constantly pressured to compete with white women’s image of straight hair. Men prefer lighter skin women, so dark skin women are just not high in value. Black men are continuously chased after very light skinned women, white women or Latina women. Black women are known to be loud and confrontational and men prefer the opposite. So to think of it, I am not surprised why so many black women are bitter and why they are so rude to their white sisters.

We Armenian women have it easy, yet we still complain about our looks and our situation although black women are an example of those who are continuously struggling to fit in and prove their value. B)

#2 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 08:48 PM

I for the life in me cannot distinguish real from fake...

Me neither. Only way to tell is sometimes to touch. :rolleyes: ... or ask them to jump up and down :oops:

Ok but isn't it a slight jump to go from bangs to detailed socioeconomic analysis like this? :)

#3 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 25 November 2003 - 08:54 PM

Everything in life is relevant Sip, you’ll be surprised what women’s bangs can say about her sociological orientation in life.

By the way whoever created this forum dedicated to women rules! You get a cookie! :D

#4 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 08:59 PM

I have to say it's great to finally see some life being pumped into this section (recently). I don't know who started this but I'll be glad to take care of that cookie by the way.

#5 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:12 PM

Everything in life is relevant Sip, you’ll be surprised what women’s bangs can say about her sociological orientation in life.

By the way whoever created this forum dedicated to women rules! You get a cookie! :D

It was our pal Gayanco who ruled, but unfortunately she is not coming around for a while. :cry:

Fill free to take control of it and add interesting topics.

#6 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:14 PM

Except titles like "weavin around the bush" will only attract the wrong kind of guy crowd I think. ahem ahem gamavor cough ... hmmm I should have that cough checked. :rolleyes:

#7 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:14 PM

Guess why i was here ? :)

#8 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:19 PM

some people are so full of issues that if they hear a compliment especially from someone who looks good they take it the wrong way and think it's demeaning or patronizing...that's kind of sad!!

#9 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:19 PM

Seriously ROFLMAO Azat. :lol2:

#10 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:20 PM

My posts transcend genders, thus one must work at the marketing aspect of reaching the masses of either sexes. Besides with your “instant” and “strong” leadership (as witnessed by the fate of my “risqué” thread) no one can worry about the contamination level of inappropriate material. I shall continue to build this forum on the platform of women’s issues and will soon turn you into full blown feminists. Just wait and see. :D ;)

#11 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:22 PM

Don't know about feminists but some of us already may be strong believers in womens' rights ;)

#12 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:23 PM

some people are so full of issues that if they hear a compliment especially from someone who looks good they take it the wrong way and think it's demeaning or patronizing...that's kind of sad!!

That goes to show how insecure women really are, sadly... If the similar joke was cracked at a guy he would dwell in self satisfaction of someone caressing his fluorescent ego and he would party like it's 1999. :P

#13 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:26 PM

Don't know about feminists but some of us already may be strong believers in womens' rights ;)

Well Sepahn you might not suspect it, but your statement is a first step of becoming an immense feminist. Congrats buddy, you can burn your bra later! :lol:

#14 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:10 PM

But guys - weren't we going to rename this section 'gender something....' ? (can't remember what exactly) but there was some talk of removing the seemingly strict 'Women' title, non?

#15 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:18 PM

Vava, you are raining on my parade now. Here I am jumping up and down like a school girl who just received her first bike ( :blink: ) and you come and try to take that joy away from me by suggesting a replacement. How can you be so cruel to your fellow Armenian, I ask? What about creating a corner for Men only, it would be interesting to see those discussions. But then again most of the discussions are male dominated so it wouldn’t make a difference, what shall we do what shall we do? :nono:

#16 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:24 PM

I would never rain on your parade - to the contrary, I'm quite excited to see this section getting some new blood... I was just bringing up a suggestion we had recently to re-orient this section to make is less gender specific, to lead to more discussion on gender related issues (as opposed to merely women - who'd want to talk about *that*??? ) :P

#17 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:32 PM

.....and will soon turn you into full blown feminists.

Surely, you MUST have better things to do. :huh:

Well Sepahn you might not suspect it, but your statement is a first step of becoming an immense feminist. Congrats buddy, you can burn your bra later!

Yes! I always suspected Sip had a thing for bras and dressing in drag. :lol:

#18 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:50 PM

I would never rain on your parade - to the contrary, I'm quite excited to see this section getting some new blood... I was just bringing up a suggestion we had recently to re-orient this section to make is less gender specific, to lead to more discussion on gender related issues (as opposed to merely women - who'd want to talk about *that*??? ) :P

Well this new blood will need some followers that is why I am recruiting, are you interested in applying for a position as the VP of Feminism? I bet that you can't wait. ;)

Surely, you MUST have better things to do.

Actually Accelerated nope, it's my main mission in life, are you also interested in applying for a Senior Coordinator of Feminist Issues?

#19 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:55 PM

No, no - I will help in a strictly non-executive capacity... say, as a consultant. I can PM you my rates... really, they're not too outrageous.

So as the newest feminist around here, your first job will be to convert Accelerated. He's a prime candidate - and it will serve as a nice little challenge for you (i suppose ;) )

#20 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 11:06 PM

Except titles like "weavin around the bush" will only attract the wrong kind of guy crowd I think. ahem ahem gamavor cough ... hmmm I should have that cough checked. :rolleyes:

Sip, that is called guilty consciousness! I know you sub-consciously regret deleting the "innocent" hypo! Anyway, my only hope and comfort is that Azat has nothing to do with it.

Other than that you are right! I guess I have a lot in common with Anileve!
:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users